Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:52   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Ten years gone by so i doubt the cars would have survived, but definately worth a try.
Yup. Go for it Sir and wish you all the luck.Cars like these need to be found and saved.

BTW Haven't been over to India in close to 10 years now.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:00   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thats a beautiful 1963 Impala Sport Sedan which is nothing but a four door hardtop pillar less model.

In good nick and very restorable too. That what American cars were made of in those days; bullet proof engines and the hard chrome would last almost forever if maintained properly.

Since this one is a LHd i would hazard it to be a V-8 with Automatic transmission.
Gogi, The fender emblem says its a V8 !
The car looks good!
Whats the asking, any idea friends?
Old 9th June 2009, 17:20   #2103
Distinguished - BHPian

I've known this mk2 Herald sitting in a compound for the last 10 years!
I used to see it parked in nearly the same spot, just a little ahead of where it is seen here, and covered with a dirty tarpaulin that was disintegrating then itself! I last saw it 6-7 years ago, then never again. So I assumed that it had been sold off (I'd incidentally even last heard that the owner was asking 16k for it then- it was quite bad then itself) and could only see the chassis/trailer (partly visible) parked in it's place. And then much to my surprise, I saw the car again yesterday!

Attachment 146159

Attachment 146160

Attachment 146161

Attachment 146162

So went to check it out today. I'm not sure but I think it was moved into the shed to it's right (which I'm told is now occupied by an Indica) and locked up in there until now, or maybe it was moved to a corner on the left, hence I couldn't see it from the road.
Either way, much to my dismay, the car's gone way too bad from the time I last saw it- the dashboard is completely whacked off (although it was a decolum one I recall) with meters etc., interior's a mess...plus, worst of all, the side-trims are all gone (it was missing only the one on the left door!) and some other bits! A real pity!

Barring a miracle by a brave soul, I suspect she'll be off to the scrapyard soon!

Note: this model came with the "dimpled" hubcaps that continued on the 4-door mk3 (vrushant, I *might* brave an attempt to get these for you! ) and later on the Gazel, as opposed to the rounded "amby" types on the earlier standard cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-junkm2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-jinkmk202.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3153.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_3155.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 9th June 2009 at 17:34.
Old 10th June 2009, 01:38   #2104
BHPian

Stanher, the caps would be really appreciated. Am still waiting the RTO stuff to get completed before the paint and tinkering begins on the car. It is running good from what I hear.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:38   #2105
Senior - BHPian

A Dodge kingsway, lying neglected in a garage, Used to belong to a friend, sold, and purchased by another friend!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-17052009247.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-17052009248.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-17052009249.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-17052009250.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 11th June 2009 at 17:39.
Old 11th June 2009, 18:19   #2106
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah, that is one complete Dodge! Are you sure it's a non-runner? The tyres seem inflated still. If so, it's a pity then!
Old 11th June 2009, 18:42   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Woah, that is one complete Dodge! Are you sure it's a non-runner? The tyres seem inflated still. If so, it's a pity then!
It runs, but shakes up the whole district with her kirloskar engine!! Last heard its getting a qualis engine! Double
Old 11th June 2009, 19:25   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Gogi, The fender emblem says its a V8 !
The car looks good!
Whats the asking, any idea friends?
Yes it does. This emblem screams it is a Chevy 327 / 409 (SS and Corvette Block) but cant trust. A lot of paraphernalia is added to cars without thinking. If its OE then it should have one of the above two blocks, that makes it a V-8. Good eye for detail boss. Hats off!!

Lovely looking emblem it is.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-impala-emblem.jpg
Old 11th June 2009, 20:11   #2109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
A Dodge kingsway, lying neglected in a garage, Used to belong to a friend, sold, and purchased by another friend!
Jay a lovely example - fairly original body line all over but for the speedo and the smaller meters. Hope its restored soon to run.Not much effort will be needed as the car appears to be in excellent condition overall.
But don't know whats the state of affairs under the bonnet?
Old 12th June 2009, 09:16   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Jaydev, is this car in Cochin? Does it have KLT regn.?
Old 15th June 2009, 17:45   #2111
BHPian

Hi all,
The whole last week, I was there in Kolhapur. Spotted 2 Willys Station wagons there !!
One used by a decorator & other is a driving school car as it has 2 steering wheels.
Both are in very much bad shape.
Both the vehicles are parked in Udyam Nagar area.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02883-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02885-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02886-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02888-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02889-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02890-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02892-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02894-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02895-large.jpg  

Old 15th June 2009, 19:20   #2112
Distinguished - BHPian

Really sad jeeps! But I didn't get the part about the second one used as a decorator? Do you mean for weddings? IT looks quite normal though, apart from the horrible paint job.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:33   #2113
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mutilatedwillyswagon.jpg

The light-blue vehicle represents complete destruction of originality
  • The body has been hacked up and fashioned into some kind of oversize CJ-tub.
  • The wheels are unoriginal. They are from a Mahindra FJ truck.
  • The parking lights (the white one and the amber one) are unoriginal. They are also from some newer Mahindra.
  • The headlamp rings are unoriginal. Don't know what model they came from.
  • The dashboard is a disaster with the diamondplate and Yenkay instruments.
  • The three spoked dished steering wheel in the back probably came from some old American heap.
And there might well be some clattery agricultural diesel of an engine under the hood.

Just curious, does the local RTO approve this hazardous modification without any approval from ARAI?
Or will the vehicle just operate as an unauthorized commercial trainer?
Old 15th June 2009, 22:29   #2114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The body has been hacked up and fashioned into some kind of oversize CJ-tub.
The wheels are unoriginal. They are from a Mahindra FJ truck.
The parking lights (the white one and the amber one) are unoriginal. They are also from some newer Mahindra.
The headlamp rings are unoriginal. Don't know what model they came from.
The dashboard is a disaster with the diamondplate and Yenkay instruments.
The three spoked dished steering wheel in the back probably came from some old American heap.

Not to mention the front wheel fenders, which are also some later Mahindra affair I guess?
Old 16th June 2009, 02:31   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
It runs, but shakes up the whole district with her kirloskar engine!! Last heard its getting a qualis engine! Double
Could you explain please? What is meant by "kirloskar" and "qualis" engine? This 1956 model here in the USA would have had a base 6 cylinder, flathead, inline engine of 230 inches and 130 horsepower and would have had options up to the 315 inch hemi head v-8 with a single four barrel. The D-500 showed 215 horsepower with this engine. Thanks for the post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks