Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 19:59   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Wow.....that is a very nice and well preserved Plymouth Sedan....love the patina on it !

Any idea if its in original paint or been redone at some point.

Some interior pictures would be a treat !
Thanks wasif for liking the pictures. I am posting more here.The paint scheme may be original, but I am sure the car is repainted. But no chrome plating or other coating on non painted shiny surfaces have been done. Its all original there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
What an original 1929 Plymouth Model U. This is the first time I am seeing this car. Seems to be very very original

Cheers

KPS
KPS, thanks for identifying the car. Unless I would have gone through picture examples on the net, it would have been tough for me to identify the exact model.
Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09322.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09323.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09324.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09325.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09326.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09327.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09328.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09330.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09329.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-dsc09331.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th May 2012 at 20:00.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 20:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
Thanks wasif for liking the pictures. I am posting more here.The paint scheme may be original, but I am sure the car is repainted. But no chrome plating or other coating on non painted shiny surfaces have been done. Its all original there.

KPS, thanks for identifying the car. Unless I would have gone through picture examples on the net, it would have been tough for me to identify the exact model.
I request that such cars are photo documented for their originality to help future enthusiast to restore their cars and use such snaps and connections for all references . This should be done for all cars in such condition.

Cheers and thank you
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 10:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

If it was painted it must have been pretty long ago and a well executed job as it has aged so gracefully.

Any idea what is the mileage on the car and when it was last run ? Does the engine run.

Plymouth was one of the makes that shifted to hydraulic brakes much earlier than others and the hydraulic lines can be seen on this car.

There was a late twenties Plymouth Tourer in Hyderabad that also had hydraulic brakes but the engine was replaced with a Perkins Diesel and it killed the car...to heavy for the springs ! Wonder what happened to it
Old 16th May 2012, 18:17   #94
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If it was painted it must have been pretty long ago and a well executed job as it has aged so gracefully.

Any idea what is the mileage on the car and when it was last run ? Does the engine run.
Quote:
The ADV tyres shows Feb97 as date of manufacture, hence I would guess the car would be last used around that time considering the condition of the tyres
Plymouth was one of the makes that shifted to hydraulic brakes much earlier than others and the hydraulic lines can be seen on this car.
Quote:
In fact Zapp was telling us that the 1928 Graham Paige was one of the first cars with the hydraulic brakes. These were external brakes (Clasp type). Plymouth's started production in 1928 hence we could guess that they had hydraulic brakes from the beginning. I need to check the brakes in the Model Q the first Plymouth which came in 1928
There was a late twenties Plymouth Tourer in Hyderabad that also had hydraulic brakes but the engine was replaced with a Perkins Diesel and it killed the car...to heavy for the springs ! Wonder what happened to it
I do not think that any 4 cylinder from Hyderabad (6 cylinder from 1933) has ever been posted here

Cheers

KPS
Old 16th May 2012, 20:38   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes Wasif, the car is done up very well and looks very original. Believe this one competed with the Ford Model A, its contemporary,in the market then. WGU should be a registration from somewhere outside Kolkata.I was told that the car is in running condition. During my next visit, I will try and get a feel of its mileage with more pictures of course.
The fact about Plymouth pioneering hydraulic brakes is news to me. The Austin 7 never had these even till the mid 1930's, I believe.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th May 2012 at 20:40.
Old 16th May 2012, 20:45   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unless it had a stroke of luck, it would have in all probability been eventually killed at Afzulgunj!
'wonder why they Perkins-ised a 20s Plymouth though, normally only the more common 50s ones were.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:27   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Austin 7 never had these even till the mid 1930's, I believe.
Even the A40 of the late 1940s continued with mechanical brakes, albeit only in the rear.
Old 18th October 2012, 14:24   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

This piece appeared in the Mumbai Samachar. It loosely translates to talking about a Fiat on display at an art and design exhibition at Bandra Kurla Complex, supposedly covered in gold leaf. If somebody can put up a better translation it would be appreciated.

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-ae3172354b7a7c3dc1f0193a7ef166ec.jpg
Old 18th October 2012, 17:11   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
This piece appeared in the Mumbai Samachar. It loosely translates to talking about a Fiat on display at an art and design exhibition at Bandra Kurla Complex, supposedly covered in gold leaf. If somebody can put up a better translation it would be appreciated.

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-image1925588152.jpg

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-image2665695770.jpg

Could put a better picture though ! Gujarati not my forte .
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 09:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

This car is being displayed at the index furniture fair at the mmrda grounds bkc. If anyone wants to go I have free passes
Old 31st December 2012, 16:55   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted at Candies restaurant in Bandra, on a table top

Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-img_0437.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 11:49   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Some cars and bikes were on display on Sunday 29 January 2012 at 'Mechathlon 2012' - we can see BHPian Girish's lovely Flying Standard cabrio and Austin tourer.

http://satikudlu.blogspot.in/2012/01...hlon-2012.html

I assume this was in Mangalore?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 10:46   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

In what is probably a first for India, Royal Enfield plans to set up a corporate museum in Chennai. A great move, perfectly suited to the brand.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/19940552.cms
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 19:06   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Spotted at Candies restaurant in Bandra, on a table top
Karl, Which outlet of Candies was this at? If it was the main one, then on certain days of the week you will see this Austin there Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India-img01102201304051312.jpg
This belonged to the owners father. He had two of these and they were used to transport cakes, hotdogs etc from his bakery to his outlet

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 8th May 2013 at 19:26.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 19:13   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Karl, Which outlet of Candies was this at? If it was the main one, then on certain days of the week you will see this Austin there Attachment 1081967
This was reclamation.

Glad to see the wagon ready and being used. It was being painted for ages at Pali.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks