Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 21:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

From the Verito to the Polo to the Punto and finally it's the Jazz!

As I have stated in my Intro thread, my research into buying a new car started from November last year (when I stumbled into team-bhp for the first time!) and, sadly, is still continuing.

After months of pain-staking research and almost finally deciding on the Grande Punto, I still have doubts over my final selection. This is due to combined factors which I have thought over, time and time again, related to sparing use, comfort of self and family, re-sale or no re-sale etc.

A bit about myself and my requirements -

I am a very sparing driver. My daily drives consist almost entirely of driving to my office and back (which is about 4 kms), and the occasional trips to the centre of the city, markets, relatives and back. And the very sporadic ride outside the city (maybe once every 6 months or so), usually for a company meeting or a wedding or an occasional trip for the holidays.

I own a Maruti 800 right now which, come July, will complete 5 years with me. Till now, it has done around 22,250 kms. The Apollo Aceleres it came with are still doing their faithful duty. Apart from the servicing and the occasional punctures and a side-indicator bulb blowout, it has been a trouble-free car. Touchwood!

What I am looking for - low maintenance, plenty of space to sit at least 5 adults, stress-free driving and riding experience, good FE, boot or no boot doesn't matter, a good-looking head-turner will be an added bonus.

My budget for the new car - 7 lakhs (max.).

The first point to ponder -

Diesel or petrol?

Numerous members have pointed out in several threads that if you are a in-city driver who drives less than 20 kms a day, petrol is the way to go. But with petrol prices touching Rs.70/ltr and slated to go more upwards within the next couple years, is it still feasible till assuming) it touches Rs.100/ltr by 2013-end?

Diesel cars need to be driven more (as the experts say), and require more maintenance, although the clatter and the sluggish pulls have become a thing of the past. The fantastic MJDs from Fiat have been wonderful in their refining, as is evident by most of the cars using it in their powertrains today - the TATAs, Swift/Dzire, and Fiat's own cars. Can a sparing driver like me who drives around 15 kms/day (max.) keep and maintain a diesel car?

Then came the models which I shortlisted, and here they are -

1) Figo - (+) Great car, loads of space and a wonderful diesel version.
(-) Looks are pretty bland, not a fan of the backlight cluster, rattling issues, cramped rear seat, Ford A.S.S., resale value unknown.

2) Polo - (+) Hot-looking (read HOT-LOOKING!), very peppy and proper 4-cylinder 1.6 engine, driver's car.
(-) Backseat is really cramped, Rear is rather-plain looking (like the old Zens), Lack of features in the top-end versions, cost of spares and ownership, resale value unknown.

3) Swift - Don't like it's looks plus a very common sight on the roads, and so, although a very good car (segment-leader actually), scratched from list.

4) Dzire - See above. I actually got a chance to TD one and felt cramped inside, that plus poor rear visibility made me back out. Scratched.

5) Indigo eCS - Common sight as the middle-class sedan and taxicab, VFM, bland looks, rubbery gearbox and no feedback from the steering. Scratched.

6) Etios - (+) Toyota brand, no-nonsense car, great suspension, driveability, biggest boot, space.
(-) Not a fan of the centre console, tacky plastics, plain looks from front and behind, resale value.

7) Punto - An example today which says love at first sight exists!

(+) Fantastic looker (even hotter than the Polo, excusez moi!), great MJD engine, awesome suspension and riding comfort, great load of features (including Blue & Me), a special driver's car if there ever was one.

(-) Cramped rear, tail-light cluster, cramped pedals, fuel guzzler (maybe), rusting issues, tacky interior parts, TATA's A.S.S. for Fiat cars, resale value.

8) Verito - Practicality over flashy, silent performer image.

(+) Plenty of space even in rear seat, big boot space, awesome suspension and riding comfort, nice driveability, a no-nonsense car if there ever was one, Mahindra brand.
(-) Outdated looks (the front resembles the Esteem! No wonder they compare Etios to this), rebadged-Logan, resale value, image of a tried-tested-and-failed car, taxicar image.

Most of the other cars like Beat, i10 and i20 I didn't really consider because I am not a huge fan of Hyundai and I didn't like the looks of Beat. Considered the Vento, Verna (the new Fluidic one) and also the Jazz but their pricing is beyond my range.

Out of the above listed, I have TDed the Figo, Polo, Dzire, Indigo, Etios and the Punto. Haven't TDed the Verito yet because the Mahindra showroom here hasn't got one yet (!). Friends suggested that a sedan meets my needs more than a hatchback because, apart from the Jazz, no other hatch has the kind of space and riding comfort I am really looking for.

Heart has been totally floored by the Punto (even the new Punto Evo sends my pulses racing). But head is trying to beat some sense into my heart. Ergo the dilemma.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Wow, thats some list of test-drives and analysis to do for a new car. I dont blame you cause I would do all this math if I were in you shoes.

Keeping all that you have mentioned, I would go with what my heart says. In your case its the Punto.

See it like this: You are doing the same things using the M800 and it has worked out so far. Punto is definately bigger and better than M800 so its an upgrade plus thats what your heart is beating for.

My personal perspective: I bought my Indica 6 years ago (she will be 6 on 23 July) just keeping in mind 2 things, a. Better / Safe mode of transport and b. Maximum people carrying capacity. If I am in the same situation today, I will think more like an enthusiast (blame TBHP and the crowd here for that) and buy what makes my heart beats for !

Happy buying.
the-rare-one is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Thats a good list of TDed cars. Which was was more appealing from the handling, maintenance, looks, etc point of view. If your heart is stills et on the Punto, I would suggest go ahead and book it. But do TD the Verito before you do so coz I feel the Verito is understated car in these times and I feel its a real VFM buy.

If you have time on hand, might as well wait for the Jazz which is expected to get a price revision post City price revision.

All the best. I hope this does not add more to the confusion.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 15:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

What you need is an Etios man. It will be just like your M800 , utterly trouble free and very low maintenance as well.
If you are considering the Verito, for your kind of running, the Etios is any time a better bet.
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 16:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the Punto. Why this discussion?
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 16:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Verito is a no-nonsense performer - but the car is almost 2 decades old - looks straight out of 80s.

If you love Punto, get one. The car is a hot looker, handles like a dream and is reasonably spacious inside.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
+ 1. Grab a Punto boy. You will start loving it as the car clocks more Kms.
GreenDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 16:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

I see a Verito parked near my house everyday. The makeover they did is very minimal compare to Logan. Some extra plastic, chrome on the exterior. Did not check the interior though. According to me it looks bad comparing to already plain looking Logan (Typical Mahindra touch).
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 17:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
Wow, thats some list of test-drives and analysis to do for a new car. I dont blame you cause I would do all this math if I were in you shoes.

Keeping all that you have mentioned, I would go with what my heart says. In your case its the Punto.

See it like this: You are doing the same things using the M800 and it has worked out so far. Punto is definately bigger and better than M800 so its an upgrade plus thats what your heart is beating for.

My personal perspective: I bought my Indica 6 years ago (she will be 6 on 23 July) just keeping in mind 2 things, a. Better / Safe mode of transport and b. Maximum people carrying capacity. If I am in the same situation today, I will think more like an enthusiast (blame TBHP and the crowd here for that) and buy what makes my heart beats for !

Happy buying.
Very true.

I have almost finally decided for the Punto, but then I read about the rusting issues and that has made me a bit apprehensive.

I see it like this - the city I live in gets a lot of rain, so most of the time the roads are watery. Rusting can be a problem. Also, this place doesn't boast of a good drainage system either, so when it rains heavily most roads get water-logged. I read in some Punto ownership threads that water tends to get inside the engine and the warning lights come on, and I wouldn't want to get stuck in such a situation with the engine stalled or something.

The TATA dealer in my city has already thrown his hands up about servicing any Fiats for now, so it will be a problem for me, specially if I need to get the car towed to Raipur which is 300 kms from here!

Heart is not listening to the head though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats a good list of TDed cars. Which was was more appealing from the handling, maintenance, looks, etc point of view. If your heart is stills et on the Punto, I would suggest go ahead and book it. But do TD the Verito before you do so coz I feel the Verito is understated car in these times and I feel its a real VFM buy.

If you have time on hand, might as well wait for the Jazz which is expected to get a price revision post City price revision.

All the best. I hope this does not add more to the confusion.
I do want the Punto very much. But some issues (see above) are slightly clouding my judgement. But yes, heart vs head! Still waiting on the Verito to TD - Mahindra dealer over here hasn't got one yet.

And that's a very valid point about the Jazz. City's prices have plummeted by 66K (!) and that's a huge drop. Most definitely Jazz's prices are all set to come down and if they drop to around 7K, I would be first in line, even if it's petrol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
What you need is an Etios man. It will be just like your M800 , utterly trouble free and very low maintenance as well.
If you are considering the Verito, for your kind of running, the Etios is any time a better bet.
I know, and at one time the Etios was a pretty strong contender (the hatchback specially). I was even ready to accept it with it's rather plain looks, just because I wanted to own a Toyota.

But the central console put me off. I am not a big fan of that. Call me an old-fashioned driver - but I want my instruments right in front of me, not on the side like a stacked card deck. GTO's official review thread also showed that the electronic meter, like the fuel guage, was extremely small and had poor visibility. It would be tough for someone like me who has near-sightedness.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
+1
Verito is a no-nonsense performer - but the car is almost 2 decades old - looks straight out of 80s.

If you love Punto, get one. The car is a hot looker, handles like a dream and is reasonably spacious inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
+ 1. Grab a Punto boy. You will start loving it as the car clocks more Kms.
Totally, guys. I agree with all of you - I have practically finalised the Punto.

Just got the quotation for the 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack (which I posted in the Car Quotations thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-deals-38.html), and it's very much on.

Unless, Honda slashes Jazz's rates within the next month or so, Punto it will be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I see a Verito parked near my house everyday. The makeover they did is very minimal compare to Logan. Some extra plastic, chrome on the exterior. Did not check the interior though. According to me it looks bad comparing to already plain looking Logan (Typical Mahindra touch).
Mahindra had such a fantastic chance to overhaul the Logan's looks with Renault's exit. All they had to do was bring in a nice-looking grille, give it teardrop headlights, slightly better rear lights and remove that very odd-looking boot (maybe make it smaller like a CS), proper Power Window button arrangement, and throw in some added interior features. Even at 40-50K extra than the current pricing, it would have been a steal!

And I would really like to know who the guy in Mahindra was, that thought of giving roof rails to the Logan/Verito! By Jehovah!
Old 16th June 2011, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
After falling in love with Punto, if you still buy the Verito, everytime when you look at your car you will think, "Man, I had a chance to marry Aiswarya Rai but ended up marrying Jayalalitha just because I needed a bigger size"

Not that Aiswarya Rai will make you happy, but still.... :o)
@CliffHanger:

@RavenAvi: I am sorry to say, but Verito and Punto comparison/confusion is the first of its kind I have ever seen. If you ask me, Its gotto be Punto. I agree that you are concerned about the A.S.S., but believe me it has improved a lot now a days. Being a Tata vehicle owner I can see that Fiat cars get special attention at the service centers.

You will only miss the big boot and better leg room at rear in the Punto compared to the Verito. In all other respects, Punto is better. Go for it man. Follow your heart, you won't repent later.

All the best!
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 18:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After falling in love with Punto, if you still buy the Verito, everytime when you look at your car you will think, "Man, I had a chance to marry Aiswarya Rai but ended up marrying Jayalalitha just because I needed a bigger size"

Not that Aiswarya Rai will make you happy, but still.... :o)

You just might have clinched it for me, CliffHanger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
@RavenAvi: I am sorry to say, but Verito and Punto comparison/confusion is the first of its kind I have ever seen. If you ask me, Its gotto be Punto. I agree that you are concerned about the A.S.S., but believe me it has improved a lot now a days. Being a Tata vehicle owner I can see that Fiat cars get special attention at the service centers.

You will only miss the big boot and better leg room at rear in the Punto compared to the Verito. In all other respects, Punto is better. Go for it man. Follow your heart, you won't repent later.

All the best!
And that is making my heart hammer some real huge nails into my head!

I think I will just go for the Punto. I am already in negotiations with the Raipur dealer for freebies, discounts and bargains. Seems like I will be finalising the deal by the beginning of next month, most definitely. (after payday)

One final question - does the single reversing light cause a problem with rear visibility?

I have asked for rear parking sensors just to be safe. If the single light is bright enough, it shouldn't be a problem when backing up.

If not, can I do some kind of aftermarket fitment of sorts to get another reverse light up on the driver's side?
Old 16th June 2011, 19:12   #12
MK3
BHPian

Hi, as judged by you, verito is pure practicality over looks. I being a new driver was afraid of the thought of driving a sedan in bangalore traffice, but still, when i TD-ed the logan(then), i didn't find it difficult to drive, infact airy, roomy and in the same time easy to maneuver. Just the absence of safety options like airbags, ABS made me rule it out. By the way, did you think of Fabia? It is one another hatch which will be roomy like jazz.
MK3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 21:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Fellow member Vina was in a similar confusion, in the end he bought a Figo. See the discussion here.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 21:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

You just might have clinched it for me, CliffHanger!
I just made it on a lighter note. But when sense prevails, I realize the issue of rusting you have raised is very valid, I too have read about it in Fiat India forum. One can live with sub par interior fit and finish, sub par performance, etc. but not with a car that has cancer.

Pick the link of the thread that discusses about rusting from Fiat India forum and send a mail to Fiat stating that you are looking to buy a Punto but seriosly worried about the rusting issue; question them why those cars had started rusting, what measures they have taken to address it and what assurance they can give to address your apprehensions.

The number of cars that have started rusting might be very small, but it still is a serious concern.
Differ your decision until you recieve a comprehensive response.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 16th June 2011 at 22:02.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 23:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
Hi, as judged by you, verito is pure practicality over looks. I being a new driver was afraid of the thought of driving a sedan in bangalore traffice, but still, when i TD-ed the logan(then), i didn't find it difficult to drive, infact airy, roomy and in the same time easy to maneuver. Just the absence of safety options like airbags, ABS made me rule it out. By the way, did you think of Fabia? It is one another hatch which will be roomy like jazz.
Yes, the Logan comes across as a very practical and silent performer which will do the job you ask it without any fuss. No wonder it is doing well in the taxi segment - drivers have driven it for 2-3 lakh kms and it's still going strong! It speaks volumes about the stability and dependability of the car.

Yes, I have even driven the Fabia for about 10 kms. I found the interiors okay, but the exterior looks weren't to my liking. Plus I heard from some Fabia owners that the engine lacks the pull and the punch. Ergo, not shortlisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Fellow member Vina was in a similar confusion, in the end he bought a Figo. See the discussion here.
I just read through that entire thread. Thanks, Anshuman.

There's no doubting Figo's performance in the city. I dare say Figo and i20 could be the two best cars to be driven inside the city today.

And yet another -1 to the Logan/Verito. Is Mahindra sitting up to take notice yet?

Quote:
I just made it on a lighter note. But when sense prevails, I realize the issue of rusting you have raised is very valid, I too have read about it in Fiat India forum. One can live with sub par interior fit and finish, sub par performance, etc. but not with a car that has cancer.

Pick the link of the thread that discusses about rusting from Fiat India forum and send a mail to Fiat stating that you are looking to buy a Punto but seriosly worried about the rusting issue; question them why those cars had started rusting, what measures they have taken to address it and what assurance they can give to address your apprehensions.

The number of cars that have started rusting might be very small, but it still is a serious concern.
Differ your decision until you recieve a comprehensive response.
This is the only worrying factor for me right now, as I have almost chosen my next car to be the Punto. I have posed the question in GTO's official Grande Punto review thread so that existing Punto owners can clear my doubts regarding this.

No doubt I will be contacting Fiat before making the purchase, stating in plain terms that I won't go ahead with the transaction unless and until they assure me that this issue won't crop up with my car, and they are doing something to address this (albeit small but very serious) issue for the future owners of the Punto.

I simply cannot sit and watch my dream car turn into dirty, rusty bronze and get grounded within the 10 years I am planning to keep it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks