Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 20:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A True Gem Of A Car, My Preworshipped 2009 VW Passat

Congrats Amit on a very good buy. You are very, very lucky if you didn't have to hunt too long for the car as good examples of pre-owned cars can be difficult to come by, even more so if you buy directly from the owner. She's looking in great nick, enjoy. I'm sure you'll love the ownership experience going from a Santro to (almost) a Vento to a Passat!

Please pinpoint a good friendly neighbourhood garage. Germans can be notoriously expensive to own in the long-term. I remember a friend of mine likening VW's to pyscho girlfriends; everything seems absolutely fine and then suddenly out of the blue she's screaming bloody murder and you're wondering what the hell went wrong. Psycho or not, best to pinpoint a garage of your choice and be ready to go down that route for all service requirements.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 00:35   #47
BHPian

Congrats Amitkb. Please do share some data points like: odo reading at purchase, current odo reading range, approx price you paid for the awesome colour Passat, and of course if it came with a full service history.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 01:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
It looks new and scratchless.
Thanks BigBen. Yes, the few bumps and dents were always fixed at the showroom by the previous owner. I only had to polish and wax the car to bring forth its former glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Personally I prefer the previous generation design with the aggressive front than the current one. Mind sharing the no. Of kilometers this beast has on the odo and for how much you acquired it?
Drive safe
Thanks, Mitsuvolk. I too like this generation of Passat that is distinctly different and better looking than the new ones. BTW, the 2012 Passat that I test drove felt to be of a distinctly lower quality (flimsy, tinny) in my personal opinion, compared to my car. My car just feels much better built, more solid, but that could be just me. :-) After all, I paid 10 nice ones for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Do post some interior snaps.
Interior snaps coming up in a few days, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats Amit on a very good buy. You are very, very lucky....Psycho or not, best to pinpoint a garage of your choice and be ready to go down that route for all service requirements.
Thanks for your wishes. When a car is sold for 30+ lakhs, I believe it is manufactured with very high quality components that are built to last, possibly forever. If driven with care, maintained and serviced regularly, I do not think these cars contain time-bombs that blow up at regular intervals of, for instance, 80k, 100k kilometers. Abused and driven without mechanical empathy? Now that's a different matter altogether. This car was driven and maintained well by a very distinguished gentleman who had a speed warning set at 80 kmph! I myself drive with a very light foot and oodles of said mechanical empathy and I have no reason to not expect this car to provide me many miles of peaceful service. Of course, I do expect to spend a more generous sum than I paid on my Santro to service this car. I will always get this car serviced at the authorized dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Odo reading at purchase, current odo reading range, approx price you paid for the awesome colour Passat, and of course if it came with a full service history.
I bought it at a reading of 63k kms, its now about 65k kms. I paid 10 good ones for it and yes, it came with a full service history. Very impeccably maintained, I must repeat.

Last edited by amitkb : 12th June 2014 at 01:29. Reason: kms, not miles.
amitkb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 08:47   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. What was the final OTR you paid for this? Also do post some interior pictures too.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 20:59   #50
BHPian

Re: Queries regarding a used VW Passat

Hello friends, I have found a very well maintained 2011 DSG Passat highline with 25K on Odo. Extended warranty is still active for another 1 year. Wanted to get your advice if it is worth buying. Price will be in the range of 17L-18L. Comes with all the features and sparingly used. Somewhat worried about the issues mentioned in these forums about sensors and poor VW service generally all over the country. I am in chennai and have access to 3 dealers. Do you all know if VW's new parts distribution center in Bangalore set to operational in Q2-2015, will improve the service standards?
I own an innova and have absolute peace of mind so far.

I am a silent follower of this forum and thanks to you all for sharing your experiences
Old 31st October 2014, 10:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Hello friends, I have found a very well maintained 2011 DSG Passat highline with 25K on Odo. Extended warranty is still active for another 1 year. Wanted to get your advice if it is worth buying. Price will be in the range of 17L-18L. Comes with all the features and sparingly used. Somewhat worried about the issues mentioned in these forums about sensors and poor VW service generally all over the country. I am in chennai and have access to 3 dealers. Do you all know if VW's new parts distribution center in Bangalore set to operational in Q2-2015, will improve the service standards?
I own an innova and have absolute peace of mind so far.

I am a silent follower of this forum and thanks to you all for sharing your experiences
The price seems high. The Passat is a great car but it has very poor resale value. After 3 years you shouldn't have to pay more than 50% of the price of a new car. For 18L you can buy a brand new Jetta!
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:43   #52
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestion. I learnt that this is 2012 model highline DSG with all the bells and whistles and well maintained. Hence considering it seriously. Planning to keep it for next 4-5 years. Jetta Highline DSG is 23L OTR in Chennai but discounts of up to 50K possible, - Beyond my budget

thanks again
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. I learnt that this is 2012 model highline DSG with all the bells and whistles and well maintained. Hence considering it seriously. Planning to keep it for next 4-5 years. Jetta Highline DSG is 23L OTR in Chennai but discounts of up to 50K possible, - Beyond my budget

thanks again
I meant you could buy a new comfortline Jetta for around 18L.
Passat is my favourite car as well but negotiate hard as it has low resale value.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:19   #54
BHPian

Used Jetta Diesel or Passat Petrol

I know both the cars have been discussed in many forums, but today I'm in a confused state as I'm planning to sell my 2006 Civic ( already posted an ad in the classified section ) and buy a used Jetta Diesel or Passat Petrol. Going by the market standard both in the used car segment cost almost the same for similar vintage.

Also both being same brand there is not much to differentiate either. My monthly running is approx 800-1000 kms so going by that monthly running cost difference will be around 5k at the max which is not a matter of much concern.

Based on the equipment and space it's Passat all the way, but when it comes to engine and performance it's Jetta which has the edge ( this is my thought and I may be wrong ). Hence I need help from members if I'm missing some important point for this decision, will be thankful if members and users can help me .
Old 8th March 2017, 14:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Jetta Diesel or Passat Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post

Based on the equipment and space it's Passat all the way, but when it comes to engine and performance it's Jetta which has the edge ( this is my thought and I may be wrong ).
And if that Jetta has went to the A.S.S. recently, it has got its sofware updated for the dieselgate. If not, in future it will get the new software, when you take it to the A.S.S.

This alone takes away the advantage of the Jetta diesel.
Stick to Passat petrol. I am sure the stock Passat petrol (1.8 Tsi is it?) will be better off than the software updated Jetta diesel.

There are threads here discussing how terrible their Jetta's have been rendered after the software update and they had to spend extra on tuning boxes and remaps.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th March 2017 at 14:27.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 18:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
And if that Jetta has went to the A.S.S. recently, it has got its sofware updated for the dieselgate. If not, in future it will get the new software, when you take it to the A.S.S.

This alone takes away the advantage of the Jetta diesel.
Stick to Passat petrol. I am sure the stock Passat petrol (1.8 Tsi is it?) will be better off than the software updated Jetta diesel.

There are threads here discussing how terrible their Jetta's have been rendered after the software update and they had to spend extra on tuning boxes and remaps.
Thanks for the insight but in case I get the Jetta then I definitely plan to get it either remapped by TOT or add RD Dual channel box or something similar. So that factor I can live with it. Passat is a segment higher than Jetta and that's one advantage. Also the fact I'm changing Civic, Jetta is not as spacious as Civic in the rear. But still the sheer pleasure of 2.0 TDI engine is something which is confusing me, and that's why I need help.
Old 8th March 2017, 20:14   #57
Team-BHP Support

As a Jetta owner and having had a Passat 1.8 TSi as a loaner, let me state

Jetta

For
- reliability, simple architecture, compact dimensions, fuel economy, durable, parts availability

Against - a little heavy to drive, after effect of dieselgate

Passat

For
- well equipped, good performance and refinement, light controls over the Jetta, more manouverable (yes - really!)

Against - About to be 2 generations old, parts availability, likes a drink if driven hard (I spent the same amount in fuel for 3 days compared to the Jetta over a week), electric handbrake motors will wear out and cost the wrong side of 30k. Most examples on the market might be a little tired.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th March 2017 at 13:12.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 13:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I know both the cars have been discussed in many forums, but today I'm in a confused state as I'm planning to sell my 2006 Civic ( already posted an ad in the classified section ) and buy a used Jetta Diesel or Passat Petrol.
The one key thing to note is that the Jetta you get will be newer than the Passat for the money you spend. If you absolutely need the extra space, go for the Passat, but it will be a bit long in the tooth and that should be a little bit of a worry.

The other thing that comes to my mind is the economy and workhorse like nature of the 2 liter TDI. It's a very balanced jack of all trades versus the 1.8 TSI which, like Ajmat said, needs a tall drink after you make it work hard.

That you are already keen to go for a remap means that you can extract a lot of performance out of that diesel Jetta, and the difference to the 1.8 TSI then isn't that large even if there's no doubting the fun nature of the 1.8 TSI.

Bottomline, do you want the features of the Passat or the more driver-centric nature of the Jetta? I think going one way or the other will settle your decision.

If I were you, I'd pick the Jetta because

It'll be newer
It'll be more economical to own in the long-term
It'll be nicer to drive due to its more compact dimensions

P.S. If you do go for the Jetta, please don't use a tuning box. Get a remap instead. Thank us later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
True that, but I imagine any Jetta he buys will be out of warranty, so he can send it to a friendly, high quality neighborhood workshop and bypass VW's A.S.S. entirely. Some guys have even managed to avoid the update even after sending the car in to the A.S.S, but that came down more to their personal rapport with the service guys.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 13:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
True that, but I imagine any Jetta he buys will be out of warranty, so he can send it to a friendly, high quality neighborhood workshop and bypass VW's A.S.S. entirely. Some guys have even managed to avoid the update even after sending the car in to the A.S.S, but that came down more to their personal rapport with the service guys.
Is this update mandatory on all cars that come in to VW dealerships? For instance if I had a brake pad related issue or an oil change, would they automatically do the engine update or would they ask the customer first? I haven't taken my Jetta to VW lately and will never do so it this update is mandatory.
Old 13th March 2017, 13:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Is this update mandatory on all cars that come in to VW dealerships? For instance if I had a brake pad related issue or an oil change, would they automatically do the engine update or would they ask the customer first? I haven't taken my Jetta to VW lately and will never do so it this update is mandatory.

VW claims it is, but it comes down to your rapport with the service advisor. I've heard of guys on here that have taken the car in for work and still avoided the update. Just to be safe, I'd avoid the service center if I were you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks