Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 14:38   #16
BHPian

re: Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?

The duster for sure. It can take any amounts of abuse while still keeping passengers inside happy.
I am actually hoping the Kwid can do that. A car of that size is ideal to deal with traffic. Lets hope it is not only about the good looks and has something good underneath the skin as well.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

The cheapest option - your existing car, with air pressure in all 4 tyres set at 27 to 28 PSI. If you haven't tried it, you will be flabbergasted by the difference in ride quality.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The cheapest option - your existing car, with air pressure in all 4 tyres set at 27 to 28 PSI. If you haven't tried it, you will be flabbergasted by the difference in ride quality.
yes i do keep the Air pressure around that level. wondering what is the experience in other cars. I also have a Dzire which gives a better ride I feel.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:34   #19
BHPian

Find more details at already existing thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bad-roads.html
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:40   #20
BHPian

I have been looking at the 2nd hand market for a sedan, once I'm back in India at the end of the year. I have almost zeroed in on the Altis.

Considering the fact that Corolla/Altis is the preferred choice of our MLAs/MPs(?), how comfortable are they on our lunar/martian terrain? (calling them roads is a sacrilege)
aqualeo2040 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 16:12   #21

Duster does absorb the pot holes and has good low speed ride.

My Punto deals with the pot holes and speed breaker better than most of the hatches (some sedans too) especially after changing to Michelin Primacy 3 ST.
I have taken some bad patches but there is hardly any thud or you wont fly of your seats, it does stays planted and comfy.
In the latest Evo, you get Alnac 4G that can be a bit noisy but is recommended.
sumitjeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 16:48   #22
BHPian

Some cars that are affordable and would suffice to your requirement :

1. Fiat Punto Evo - Highest GC 185mm to be precise, driver centric

2. Renault Duster ( may be Nissan Terrano too) : This car will glide over any kind of broken , potholed tarmac or patchy road surface.

3. MSIL Swift - would meet your requirement, but fit and finish after regular running on these roads, is questionable. Lots of rattling issues from owners too.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 17:28   #23
BHPian

Even though the Duster is fantastic over potholed roads, I maintain that the best vehicle for our Indian roads, even now, is the good old Amby. Those heavenly seats eat up those potholes with ease!
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 17:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Duster , Terrano siblings are the perfect answer for damaged roads, but once stuck is traffic, the heavy clutch is a real pain. If you do not mind a slightly larger size, then XUV500 can also be considered, the clutch is also not as heavy as in a duster.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 18:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

If its (roads) not absolutely UV territory & we are also looking at low speed ride comfort, I would pick TATA cars - Indica / Vista / Zest. Else Safari / Storme / Duster / Innova.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 18:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The Duster , Terrano siblings are the perfect answer for damaged roads, but once stuck is traffic, the heavy clutch is a real pain.
How about the automatic Hyundai Creta?

An automatic Duster would also be great, given so much is spoken about the Duster in this thread. Renault is really loosing out on this niche opportunity of bringing in the Duster with automatic option.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 19:30   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
while our WagonR felt like it would fall apart at 97k kms. And the Xcent feels well put together, but very delicate.
While in my case the WagonR is now 225K On the ODO and it still doesn't rattle. The only DIY that's done to suppress this was damping all doors with Yoga mats.

That said, noise from Calipers is a very common issue that vanishes once you grease them. Many have sat inside it and are unable to say if that's clocked so much and still rattle free. Else, on bad roads, It takes abuse the way you want and I have even bent 2 of my alloys going over potholes few years before.

The last service was around 223K and when checked, all the suspensions were intact including the bushes. The first steering rack was replaced at the same time (223K). I call this Robust or call myself lucky .

I vote for the Duster for its composed ride quality over any type of roads that doesn't give you that pain the neck when passing over potholed surfaces.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th September 2015 at 19:38.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 19:40   #28
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 13:44.
neeravnaik is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2015, 21:18   #29
BANNED

There was an earlier poll on this, but specific to hatchbacks. Punto had more votes than everyone else put together. But yes, expanding to other car categories seems a worthwhile question. link
Old 18th September 2015, 21:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Roads with potholes or potholes with some piece of road in it.

For the primary one, i guess there is not much of a difference as long as you know what speed to take those potholes.

If you are expecting to ride at high speed over long distance on potholes, i say dirt bikes are better options.

For the second condition where there are some roads inbetween potholes, you are better of with a SUV sitting slighty higher and allowing the tyres, suspension and even the chasis to soak up the impact.

Mercedes S Class should be good as long as its driven at sane speed.

Affordable class i found the ambassedor to be actually effective in these roads with a distinct shudder than throwing you everywhere.

Worst of all cars is the Safari and the Scorpio. The body roll makes me feel like i am in a funny ride in a theme park.

The Tiguan is good but again affordability comes into picture.

Best compromise i found was Ford Escape. Its actually good on these roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks