Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?

I tried to search for a thread like this but could not find one.

Please note this question is not about off-roading but about daily city driving. Many of our city roads are bad and even roads that are well tarred suddenly get dug up due to the great lack of co-ordination between our civic agencies.

I almost feel that we have accepted bad roads as a given in most part of our cities. In fact while on long distance drives the roads take a turn for much worse the moment you enter a town or a city. Our highways have improved so much in comparison to city roads.

So which car in your opinion is best for driving daily over such roads. Such a car would have to a combination of good suspension and decent GC. I suspect while come of the Sedans would have a good suspension but you would still be driving them gingerly to avoid scraping them over really bad bumps.
neeravnaik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:29   #2
BHPian

re: Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
I tried to search for a thread like this but could not find one.

Please note this question is not about off-roading but about daily city driving. Many of our city roads are bad and even roads that are well tarred suddenly get dug up due to the great lack of co-ordination between our civic agencies.

I almost feel that we have accepted bad roads as a given in most part of our cities. In fact while on long distance drives the roads take a turn for much worse the moment you enter a town or a city. Our highways have improved so much in comparison to city roads.

So which car in your opinion is best for driving daily over such roads. Such a car would have to a combination of good suspension and decent GC. I suspect while come of the Sedans would have a good suspension but you would still be driving them gingerly to avoid scraping them over really bad bumps.
By all definitions, the category that would best suit you would be SUVs & compact SUVs(CUVs).

Being a Safari Storme owner, I can vouch the beast drives beautifully over potholes & irregular roads.

Case in point, once, on my regular office route, I ended up taking my wifes Nissan Micra. I could not believe the amount of potholes & gaps in the roads which were present, which otherwise, in the Safari would go completely unnoticed.
rohansachar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

But then you also have to consider that with ever shrinking space on the road as well as the parking, an SUV may increase the pains in some other aspect, if not the actual driving.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:42   #4
BHPian

If I were to choose, I would say the Duster. It's ride is just wonderful. No doubt its called the *magic carpet*. Soaks up all the bumps and potholes beautifully. From the sedans, I would say that the Etios is a car that rides considerably well.

You haven't mentioned budget here.

@Rohansachar, you hit the nail right on its head. When you get accustomed to a car which rides well, it's really pain to switch back to other cars. I have had this experience myself. At first, I had thought that the monsoons had damaged the roads. But when I went through the same stretch two days later on a vehicle which rides better, I was pleasantly surprised that how all this time I had taken the superb ride as granted on that vehicle.

EDIT: Hoping that the Renault Kwid will be a car with good ride.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 18th September 2015 at 13:53.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Duster hands down! Compact enough for city driving, decent road presence and eats potholes for breakfast.

I can also tell you that Swift is a car that one should avoid if they aren't particularly interested in feeling every little bump/pothole on the road.

EDIT: I have extensively driven the old-gen Laura and sat in a Fabia couple of times. While Skoda is notorious for many reasons, I think it makes one of the best sedans in the market with solid build and underbody protection and a Laura at least, can take any bad roads of India with ease.

Last edited by fine69 : 18th September 2015 at 13:47.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Its been raining since morning plus its a Friday. I am in nostalgia mode. I am going to throw a wild card. How about Peugeot 309!
freedom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:57   #7
BHPian

The car of choice for tackling the potholed roads would be the Compact UVs in the market - Ecosport, Duster, Terrano and even S Cross and Creta. Small and agile enough to negotiate traffic easily and strong enough to negotiate bumps and potholes with ease.

If looking only at 'preventing underbody scraping', then full size UVs make some sense. Fortuner, Scorpio, Safari, Rexton and the like make a strong case for themselves. But driving them daily in city traffic needs some serious getting-used-to.

If considering hatchbacks, Punto Evo is definitely a good package for bad roads. I would not include sedans basically because of their longer front overhang and lower (and stiff) suspensions. The Skoda Rapid (and Ciaz) are good examples for moderately bad roads but Duster and Fortuner are the kings.
vin11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:59   #8
BHPian

If your budget is tight enough for regular car only, I think Fiat Punto may fit you as it has highest ground clearance in its class. Moreover, It's a great car in the driver's aspect.
Wildy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Duster hands down! Compact enough for city driving, decent road presence and eats potholes for breakfast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
If I were to choose, I would say the Duster. It's ride is just wonderful. No doubt its called the *magic carpet*. Soaks up all the bumps and potholes beautifully.
You haven't mentioned budget here.
I have been hearing good things about Duster's ride.

Not mentioned the budget as I am currently not considering a purchase. Just exploring on what is really a perfect ride for daily commutes.

I value comfort and convenience foremost without compromising a lot on performance.

Currently I drive Brio AT daily and while it is super smooth to handle and very hassle free it has a really bumpy ride on any kind of potholed road.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is, that ever since I bought a Punto, I have stopped slowing down for broken roads .

Well unless they are craters. In which case, I believe a CUV (S Cross/Duster/Creta/Ecosport) would be the best bet if you dont prefer beefy full size SUVs.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:20   #11
BHPian

Yeah. Punto provides great road and noise insulation.

I recently test drove Ciaz SHVS. With a light steering and soft ride, this make a case of good city sedan. This is Punto class or better on pot-hole ridden roads. However, this felt really floaty on highways and curves (side effect of this suspension setup).

I need a comfortable car for my family and myself and zeroed down on it.
Old 18th September 2015, 14:23   #12
BHPian

It's one word answer, duster. I have driven so far about 55K kms in Hyderabad city and support my claim every bit.
niv26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

When I saw the thread title, I was pretty sure the thread starter would be someone from Bangalore.

From whatever I have experienced, i would say the Duster is the best one. Compact enough for regular City use while at the same time swallows bad roads without a sweat.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

From my experience with small cars- I would pick Punto again. After 1L kms, it still feels like one single piece while our WagonR felt like it would fall apart at 97k kms. And the Xcent feels well put together, but very delicate.

We have DZire and Polo as well in the immediate family circle. While Polo feels just as good in terms of build and suspension, the ground clearance is a concern for very bad roads.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Duster it would have to be. If the new one is too expensive for you, then you should be able to get one in the used car market for 7 lakhs starting

They call the Duster the Romanian Hummer!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks