Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 13:05   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Since I see SUVs too discussed here, my suggestion would be Safari Storme. Phenomenal ride quality; yes the car is big, but then so is XUV. That's one car which can take the abuse. As far as I know, all TATA cars are usually good with handling potholes. Been in Indigo / Indica / Sumo extensively and they all do well.

However, I didn't feel Manza to be all that comfy though people say otherwise. Zest also should be good enough as I had a short drive and felt good.
I agree that Tata Safari was comfortable. It used to handle potholes well. But speed breakers? Terrible.It was unwieldy and had a tendency to pitch and yaw a bit under hard braking. Plus its gears were always squishy, which I always disliked.

The Scorpio was terrible over bad roads and / or speed breakers - you would end up getting out of it with a crick in the neck. It was a heck of a tough car and one could do almost anything with it but frankly, the Safari left it far behind in many ways.

The Bolero was excellently tough and could do almost anything. But after a long hard drive through bad roads, one could barely totter out of the vehicle and collapse, exhausted.
Same goes for the Gypsy. Could handle anything you threw at it, but your body would feel like it was sent through a wringer, by the time you got out!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 13:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

I do not have first hand driving experience, but from reading the ownership experince from this forum and from word of mouth spreads, I feel the Maruti Vitara is a pot hole/broken tarmac muncher.
Old 26th January 2016, 17:49   #63
BHPian

It will depend on the price range and segments.

I would choose like this :

1. Under 6 Lac - Punto

I had done a TD with a friend (of a 6k km run vehicle) and was impressed with the ride quality. Minor bumps were absorbed, bigger potholes sent a muted thud and a controlled vibe in the cabin, it didn't bottom out on large speed breakers and suspension wasn't much noisy. As the speed increased, the ride was almost F-L-A-T even over bad stretches. I can safely assume that it is the best hatch for bad roads, followed closely by Tata Indica Vista for abuse taking capability.

2. 6 to 12 Lac - Duster

Being an owner of one, I can vouch for the ride quality of Duster. Bigger UVs seem to be better bad-road handlers but Duster beats them all because of its lower height and dynamics (very less bodyroll, negligible as compared to Scorpio and Safari giants). Suspension noise is present for the rear occupants but potholes, big or small, are handled very well. Smaller undulations are totally dismissed, though larger ones send a loud thud to the cabin (but much less effect inside cabin). Ample GC ensures that the belly doesn't kiss any speed breaker. Gem of a car, especially when ride quality is considered. Feels better than a 15 Lac XUV on bad roads (though XUV takes the crown on high-speed highways).

3. 12 to 18 Lacs - Safari Storme and Yeti

I haven't driven any of the better cars in this segment, but Safari Storme and Innova are good which is evident from numerous online and user reviews. Yeti also is a good car for bad roads, but again I have been a passenger at the back.

4. 18 to 30 Lacs - Pajero

Pajero is a good UV for bad roads. I have been in a Fortuner also but its ride didn't feel absorbent enough. Maybe the seat cushioning is less, or suspension is tuned for high speeds, but low speed ride over potholes and bad roads is average. Pajero, though looks basic and bare bones, has a commendable ride quality as compared to Fortuner. It eats up all bad patches beautifully, though suspension noise is a concern over bad roads.

I am yet to drive any 30+ Lac car, and can't comment on any of them. All this was my personal opinion, hope it was useful.

Last edited by swift_guy : 26th January 2016 at 17:50.
swift_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 19:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

My Rapid has supported very well on some of the horrible roads around Electronic City from 2 years, GC has never been an issue even on dreaded Bisile ghat or when Shiradi ghats were a nightmare.
Old 26th January 2016, 20:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

For me Safari Storme and Duster are the best vehicles for potholed roads. All other SUVs can take the abuse but at the same time transfer some amount of abuse to the driver as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I agree that Tata Safari was comfortable. It used to handle potholes well. But speed breakers? Terrible.It was unwieldy and had a tendency to pitch and yaw a bit under hard braking. Plus its gears were always squishy, which I always disliked!
I extensively test drove 2015 Storme over speed breakers and found it eating them with quite ease. Safari is quite boat like but I think Storme is bit different.
Old 27th January 2016, 00:04   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
For me Safari Storme and Duster are the best vehicles for potholed roads. All other SUVs can take the abuse but at the same time transfer some amount of abuse to the driver as well.
I extensively test drove 2015 Storme over speed breakers and found it eating them with quite ease. Safari is quite boat like but I think Storme is bit different.
Must be some sort of Knowledge transfer on the suspension bits from Land Rover...
Old 27th January 2016, 10:12   #67
BANNED

In a lighter vein: On some of our 'roads' even a tractor may be distressed.

SH222A in Haryana (YE to Palwal) was one such road about two and a half years back, but that has been apparently fixed. I am sure there are plenty in UP and Bihar to start with.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

SH222A in Haryana (YE to Palwal) was one such road about two and a half years back, but that has been apparently fixed. I am sure there are plenty in UP and Bihar to start with.
Saheb,

Just drive through Bangalore and UP Bihar will feel like a magic carpet...for a major city it is despicable that such roads and traffic chaos be allowed.

Bangalore - Garden city -> IT city -> Cattle track city

Back to the topic Duster/lodgy and any proper Renault (Fluence, Koleos, Logan (based on the Clio), the old Peugeot 309
Old 27th January 2016, 15:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Are the duster's rust issues sorted out yet? I keep hearing stories about bad rust issues on that thing.

Logan is the favorite for meru cabs and gets beaten pretty hard by their drivers, still offers an extremely smooth ride in Bangalore. I think that'd be a great choice.
Old 27th January 2016, 20:26   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Are the duster's rust issues sorted out yet? I keep hearing stories about bad rust issues on that thing.

Logan is the favorite for meru cabs and gets beaten pretty hard by their drivers, still offers an extremely smooth ride in Bangalore. I think that'd be a great choice.
Don't know the case about latest Dusters, but this issue was present till early 2015 Dusters at least. Rust under bonnet and door sills is common and mine also had paint bubbles on front door's rubber beading. Pointed it out to the dealer (used car dealer and not Renault dealer) and he got that part repainted. Sadly there has not been any recall from Renault in India.
Old 20th October 2017, 09:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

It still is. I had taken the road a few years back and it was terrible so thought of checking it out a couple of weeks back. Also to see if there was an alternate option to joining YE from Faridabad. Boy it's gone worse. The road has disappeared with deep ruts and 8-10 km long jams with hundreds of trucks lined up bumper to bumper. Private vehicles ply on the wrong side.
Going / coming via Greater Noida remains the only option for now. ( Unless of course someone wants to join the YE via Mathura)
Old 20th October 2017, 12:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

recently a shopping mall that I frequent has 3 large 9 to 10 inch deep potholes on exit side and I am always wary that if my underbody will take a hit and co-passenger will get back pain going through one of these gigantic, constantly enlarging potholes. My fiat GP went in and out of this pothole with the calm and poise of a boat taking a small dip after hitting a wave, there was no sharp ruts that was passed into cabin. Nobody inside felt the depth of the pothole.
Old 6th June 2018, 12:22   #73
BHPian

Which sedan offers the best Ride comfort for Driver and passengers, under 15 lakhs budget ?

Dear Bhpians,

My primary requirement is to seat 6 members (4 adults and 2 kids) of my family in a sedan on long trips.
I already got an SUV but my father cannot climb in, so need a sedan that will also double up as 2nd car for wife's city drive regularly.
Should be an auto tranny with primary focus to seating comfort.
I recently self-drove the Etios for a week and all our backs broke ! It's not the kind of sedan I could afford to manage.
I'm not worried about resale value, badge value, mileage etc... Just a comfortable sedan to take my family from Point A to B with reasonable seating comfort and ergonomics .
Please suggest from your individual personal experiences

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2018 at 10:12. Reason: Poor language & grammar
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th June 2018, 12:36   #74
BHPian

Re: Which sedan offers the best Ride comfort for Driver and passengers, under 15 lakhs budget ?

No sedan can handle 6 members even if 2 are kids and it's definitely not safe either. Your best bet is an MUV, something like an Ertiga or a Lodgy.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2018 at 10:13. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 12:41   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which sedan offers the best Ride comfort for Driver and passengers, under 15 lakhs budget ?

Since there are 4 adults and 2 kids, I would recommend a MPV. Low floor Renault Lodgy would be an ideal choice because its ride quality is good. However, it does not have automatic transmission. Honda BR-V has AT option but ride is bit stiff. I suggest you wait for the upcoming Maruti Ertiga AT. It is compact enough for city drives too.

If the ride is still not satisfactory, you could set tyre pressures at 2 PSI less than recommended pressure (especially if parents are travelling with you).

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th June 2018 at 12:44.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks