Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 21:43   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep_Kimster View Post
1. Fiat Punto Evo - Highest GC 185mm to be precise, driver centric

3. MSIL Swift - would meet your requirement, but fit and finish after regular running on these roads, is questionable. Lots of rattling issues from owners too.
Definitely not the Swift. It has a fairly stiff rear suspension which is good for stability on highways but not comfortable on broken roads. At the front, it is a bit manageable but definitely not at the rear seat. It is a different thing if you tend to go fast (and rash) over broken roads, but not good for the car. Add to that, the average GC and long front overhang - which means that the bumper gets scratched from the lower edges.

And, I didn't knew that Punto's GC was 185mm. I thought it to be 195mm.
Old 18th September 2015, 22:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?

Honestly I have taken my Altis through some really bad roads and at times on quite considerable speeds too. Till date it has never let me down with zero under body hits and no rattles whatsoever.

Ofcourse the ideal car for really bad roads will always be a true blooded SUV or even the MUVs on sale in our market.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 22:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Definitely not the Swift. It has a fairly stiff rear suspension which is good for stability on highways but not comfortable on broken roads. At the front, it is a bit manageable but definitely not at the rear seat. It is a different thing if you tend to go fast (and rash) over broken roads, but not good for the car. Add to that, the average GC and long front overhang - which means that the bumper gets scratched from the lower edges.

And, I didn't knew that Punto's GC was 185mm. I thought it to be 195mm.
Swift as a driver's car still fairs better, but your are right not as rear passengers, it gets really uncomfortable there

Yes Punto Evo's GC is 185mm.
Old 18th September 2015, 23:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not the Swift. It has a fairly stiff rear suspension which is good for stability on highways but not comfortable on broken roads ....
You should try the current gen Swift. One of the best tuned suspension, very close in the league of Euro cars.

Yes, it's not so spacious in the rear, but comfort on bad patches is really good compared to the first gen version.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 08:34   #35
Team-BHP Support

Try these cars at places where a CV's rear overhang scrapes, chances are, save for the Duster [and that too with careful driving/judgement] most cars too will scrape away to glory.

The 4WD counterparts of SUV's are less wallowy and you can traverse any terrain with peace of mind, that is the most comfortable thing for me.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 09:07   #36
BHPian

A surprise for the price , when it comes to bad roads , is MM Logan IMHO. When driven through the same ( bad ) patch as my Vento, it let me know only half the holes underneath. Worth a special mention by the Jury though not the exclusive winner.
shasha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 09:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
A surprise for the price , when it comes to bad roads , is MM Logan IMHO. When driven through the same ( bad ) patch as my Vento, it let me know only half the holes underneath. Worth a special mention by the Jury though not the exclusive winner.
Yes most of the French cars have excellent suspension, which just soak the road undulations. I believe that is due to a lot of "cobble stone" pavement in French cities and villages.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 10:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
How about the automatic Hyundai Creta?

An automatic Duster would also be great, given so much is spoken about the Duster in this thread.
Creta is fine, maybe second to Duster and the Storme 4X4 for such roads as long as there are only two people on the front seat, but with the weight of four, the suspension goes down, and you start feeling all the jerks.

Even in the Storme the 4X2 has body roll that troubles when you hit a curve at speeds, and come across a pothole in the curve.

Rahul

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 13:47. Reason: Typos
Old 19th September 2015, 11:41   #39
BHPian

I'm pretty comfortable driving on absolutely notorious Bangalore roads in my Zest. Moving from Swift, I should admire the suspension, comfort and ground clearance Zest offers. Most of the undulations in city roads are easily taken care off.
Swift is a pain in bad city roads. Of course, it is a heart stealer on highways!
balajisv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 11:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You should try the current gen Swift. One of the best tuned suspension, very close in the league of Euro cars.

Yes, it's not so spacious in the rear, but comfort on bad patches is really good compared to the first gen version.
Not to start a debate here, but what I felt from the rear suspension of my 2013 (New Shape) Swift was the lack of comfort and very stiff ride quality. At the front, you don't feel much except the 'thud' sounds but at the rear, the passengers will have to hold grab handles (or whatever they're called ) on bad patches (potholes basically). Assuming that you're also a previous-gen Swift owner (from your Avatar), I agree with you that the suspension is better tuned in the new-gen. On highways, it is among the benchmarks though.

If you've been in the Punto (rear seat), you'll be surprised with the ride quality. You feel nothing except some sounds of the suspension working, when you expect a serious effect in the cabin on bad roads.
Old 19th September 2015, 12:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I believe a CUV (S Cross/Duster/Creta/Ecosport) would be the best bet if you dont prefer beefy full size SUVs.
Quote:
The car of choice for tackling the potholed roads would be the Compact UVs in the market - Ecosport, Duster, Terrano and even S Cross and Creta. Small and agile enough to negotiate traffic easily and strong enough to negotiate bumps and potholes with ease.
Not the Ecosport please. Low speed ride is very firm. I know because I own one and this is the one lone issue that bothers me. But have to say that the ride is superb once you gather some speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The cheapest option - your existing car, with air pressure in all 4 tyres set at 27 to 28 PSI. If you haven't tried it, you will be flabbergasted by the difference in ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
yes i do keep the Air pressure around that level. wondering what is the experience in other cars. I also have a Dzire which gives a better ride I feel.
Exactly. I am extremely satisfied at 28 psi against the recommended 30psi. But this comes at an increased risk of tyre failure-puncture due to the increased contact of the side walls.
revintup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 14:30   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?

The best all-rounder for potholed / broken / inexistent roads would be the Duster. Excellent ride quality, good view of the road ahead, high ground clearance and the availability of AWD. The 85 & AWD variants top that up with superb driveability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Its been raining since morning plus its a Friday. I am in nostalgia mode. I am going to throw a wild card. How about Peugeot 309!
Outstanding ride quality + rough road ability. The car was built for abuse.

Quote:
The car of choice for tackling the potholed roads would be the Compact UVs in the market - Ecosport
Oh, not the EcoSport! It has a stiff ride at low speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The cheapest option - your existing car, with air pressure in all 4 tyres set at 27 to 28 PSI. If you haven't tried it, you will be flabbergasted by the difference in ride quality.
. Just make sure you don't lower it too much, else your tyres will overheat / suffer uneven wear. And switch back to recommended pressures before hitting the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Considering the fact that Corolla/Altis is the preferred choice of our MLAs/MPs(?), how comfortable are they on our lunar/martian terrain?
Very comfortable. The Corolla Altis also offers a great backseat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Even though the Duster is fantastic over potholed roads, I maintain that the best vehicle for our Indian roads, even now, is the good old Amby. Those heavenly seats eat up those potholes with ease!
Hahahaha! You mean the 'spring-loaded' rear sofa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The Duster , Terrano siblings are the perfect answer for damaged roads, but once stuck is traffic, the heavy clutch is a real pain.
The newer ones have a lighter clutch that isn't as much of a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
How about the automatic Hyundai Creta?
Yeah, the Creta's low speed ride is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
Another awesome contender! The Logan's suspension can flatten the worst of roads. And lets not forget, the Duster is based on the Logan's platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Yes most of the French cars have excellent suspension, which just soak the road undulations. I believe that is due to a lot of "cobble stone" pavement in French cities and villages.
Thanks! Learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
I'm pretty comfortable driving on absolutely notorious Bangalore roads in my Zest.
Definitely the best among the compact sedans.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 14:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am a little confused with some of the replies here. Is the question about cars with best low speed ride?

I thought the OP wants to know which cars are best for potholed roads. To tackle such roads without worry, in my opinion the car needs two things. One, good GC and then a mature suspension that means you dont need to slow down for every break or bump on the road. My answers Punto (among hatchbacks) and Ecosport were with this in consideration.

If it was low speed ride, most Hyundais will be on top, but the moment you encounter undulations and broken stretches the soft suspension set up keeps the car bouncing all the way (based on my experience with the i20).

My limited experience with Ecosport suggests that although low speed ride is harsh, it soaks up bad roads pretty well. That coupled with the GC, you can be pretty much confident taking on bad roads. Again my experience with Ecosport is very limited.
Old 19th September 2015, 16:13   #44
AWD
BHPian

A comfy suspension car been on my list since a long time now, helpful topic. So Duster it is as most have suggested. Btw when did the changes like lighter clutch, rubber beadings on doors, etc..figure, beginning this year ?

How is XUV's ride quality ? Heard TUV3OO doesn't fare good.

Last edited by AWD : 19th September 2015 at 16:14.
Old 19th September 2015, 17:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

So it seems amongst cars the main contenders in this price bracket are

1. Punto
2. Logan
3. Used Corolla
4. Liva

Amongst soft (monocoque) SUVs

1. Duster

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks