Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 16:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Middle-aged middle-class man seeking help in buying his 1st & last car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

XUV300 is good but I will buy middle variants of Brezza/S-Cross over base variant of XUV300 without a thought. Same for Nexon. If it is a Nexon, it has to be the top variants.

Thank you for sharing your views, @PaddleShifter
In fact, you are reflecting my thought process, almost exactly!

However, I am NOT INTERESTED in the Brezza - I just did not like the feel of it during the TD. I would have thought of it only if some expert here gave me a CATEGORICAL reasoning for it - like many have for the Bolero.

But yes, as I stated in my last reply, I am QUITE ATTRACTED to the S-Cross!

So, at this point, it will be of great help if an expert here could become the Devil's Advocate, and give me NEGATIVE points that I need to consider about the S-Cross!

Actually, the same goes for the Honda WR-V & the Mahindra XUV 300 - focusing on why I SHOULD NOT consider them might help further! Both of them being in my Top-3 list at the moment.

I am pretty okay with the base model of XUV 300 - it provides the 'Height Adjustable Driver Seat' feature (which I need) - and it does not come with a 'Sun Roof' (which I want to avoid)... The feel of the vehicle was very impressive (though my TD was in the city)... and the interior of even the base model is quite plush.

What I DO NOT like about that car is its bulkiness.
And, what I am unsure about is it's LONGEVITY.

Similarly, with the WR-V, I am very impressed by the feel and handling of the vehicle. And, just like the S-Cross, I LIKE it's hatchback-SUV crossover designing...
Again, my main worry with it is it's LONGEVITY - along with the issue with it's lack of response in the lower end.

The other car, which I know I should consider - and as one expert has suggested above as well - is the Renault Duster.
The thing is, just like I mentioned about the Bolero, I have rather off-putting personal association with that car too!
Old 14th February 2022, 16:26   #17
BHPian

Among the 3 shortlisted cars, my preference matches with yours. S-cross is an allrounder, durable, has enough grunt for your needs and pretty stable over pot holed roads. But, there will be minor rattles in the long run (typical Maruti type) if you don't have OCD to keep the cars at their absolute best.

XUV300 does not have any negative points except for the white interiors. If you can manage with that, nothing beats it. I would still look for a top variant.

WRV will be just about OK, on every aspect. Plush ride over bad roads, decent ground clearance, and no major headaches expected (Honda is pretty reliable still). Consider it as a smaller S cross with another batch name. It would be boring though.
Nav-i-gator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Highlighting some negative points on the three based on your earlier posts :
- S-Cross : 4.3m, the engine response you talk about, SHVS might incur some extra maintenance.
- XUV300 : turbo petrol, smaller boot than others
- WRV : competent but in its last legs, would be the next one to be discontinued IMO

The real face off is between the S-Cross and XUV300, you can't go wrong with either.
The 1.5NA vs 1.2TC would fare well given your sedate driving style and the FE of the turbo petrol shouldn't be a concern.
Having said that expecting 15kmpl under all conditions like city is asking too much. They might deliver but don't expect IMO.

XUV300 is a premium car inside, if you liked it in the city you will love it on the highway. Although I haven't driven the W4/W6 so the interiors and features are up to you.

S-Cross, I too prefer this styling over the next one, our Transformer
No unanswered questions remain on this car and the composure is something you've already experienced.

Hope it helps and good luck

Last edited by shancz : 15th February 2022 at 14:27. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Are you willing to wait for the new car?

We keep hearing Maruti may launch the Jimny anytime now, and from what you have mentioned, it would suit your needs to the T. Maybe not the best in terms of ride quality, but hey, you handle a Gypsy so Jimny will most definitely be an upgrade in all departments.
To answer your question @Dry Ice... well, I am ready to buy the new car - i.e. my fund is in place. And I need a new car asap, since my present vehicle is too old to continue, at least not without some serious expenditure. Having said that, I am okay with waiting - to a reasonable extant - if that means I get a vehicle that is a serious notch closer to my 'dream car'!

But the Jimny is definitely not that car! The mere look of it is just not appealing enough for me to even want to explore it's details further.

However, there are two upcoming cars that I can see on CarDekho, which make me wonder whether I should actually wait for them... And, quite unbelievably, they are just about within my range too:-
  • Jeep Sub-4m SUV[ (can't see an image for it though)
  • Jeep Renegade (image is shown - and it looks fab!)
Another upcoming car which seems interesting - but just beyond my range...
  • Honda HR-V
And that also brings me back to the primary quandary which is plaguing me at the moment - how reliable are the international bigwigs, in their Indian avatar? Primarily in terms of after-sales/ service network/ availability and economy of parts. But also in terms of longevity - in the sense that are they making their India-specific cars to be at par with their international standards, or are they compromising on the build quality, to keep at par with Indian price-brackets?

I have been attracted to a number of models, by the following brands - but am unsure whether I should venture out of the Maruti-Mahindra-Tata-esque brands, which are basically 'local', and tested in terms of serviceability... Should I be even looking at these international brands (and models) ~
  • Volkswagen (New Taigun)
  • Skoda (Kushaq)
  • Nissan (Kicks/ Magnite)
  • MG (Astor)
As I have mentioned earlier. one of my primary requirement is a car that will be in acceptable working condition 10 years down the line.
So, any advise in this matter of 'local' vs international brands would be much appreciated!
Aaditto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 23:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditto View Post
  • Volkswagen (New Taigun)
  • Skoda (Kushaq)
  • Nissan (Kicks/ Magnite)
  • MG (Astor)
As I have mentioned earlier. one of my primary requirement is a car that will be in acceptable working condition 10 years down the line.
On the international brands :
- Skoda/VW : new cars, EPC issues, quality issues reported, maintenance is bound to be expensive and it doesn't seem like they'll age well given what we know.
Whether its the Taigun or Kushaq and expectng the Slavia and Virtus to be on similar lines.
They might improve but considering your case it isn't a risk worth taking.

- MG : no idea, someone else can guide you better but given your driving environs I am not sure if the availability of service centers will work out.

- Nissan : The service center reports seem to be a mixed bag but I would personally stick to a more refined car like the S-Cross/XUV/any Hyundai since you intend to keep this car for 10+ years. ASC availability is also an issue.
Ditto for Renault and their sister cars.

In a nutshell, in your situation, I would stick to either the S-Cross or the XUV300(mainly for its FTD and premium feeling). Which of the two is for you to decide.
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:07   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

IMHO, the base variant of the Kia Carens ought to fulfill all your requirements (and then some) if you are ready to live with the additional length. Also, any particular reason why you are not considering 7 seaters like the Ertiga/Triber?
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:18   #22
BHPian

That’s a very detailed ‘What Car’ question and it really helps us give suggestions.

In most cases the first answer we refer to is usually the right one and in this case the S-Cross sounds the right car. It’s a tried and tested Maruti, interiors are a league apart from other Maruti’s and honestly if there was a Maruti I would suggest to any one, it would be the SCross. As you will retain the car for a long time and don’t like the looks of the upcoming car, buy it closer to the new gen launch so you can bargain and go for the higher versions.

Based on my ownership , the Nexon is not bad as well. Fairly abuse friendly and very well built. I would not agree with your mechanic friend. The recent Tata’s are very different from the indica’s and Safari’s of yesteryears . It has good space inside and is under 4M so easy to move around in as well. Given the rural setting you live in, would not advice out of the top 4 or 5 manufacturers ( Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra, Kia), so that leaves Renault, Nissan and the others out of the equation.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sir, with your needs the XUV is the perfect choice. It's a tough car and can take the bad roads with style. The engine is a gem and you will love the torque for highway drives. It has the best in class features and also interior space is ample. The GC is more than enough to take the worst roads. I would recommend the petrol transmission for your needs.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:14   #24
BHPian

@Aaditto welcome to the forum. I was in similar situation one year back. I had a strick budget of 15L OTR and looked up all the vehicles you shortlisted.

Quote:
I am actually seriously looking at THREE cars only - from the list I posted originally -
S-Cross
WR-V
XUV 300
Coming to the 3 vehicles you shortlisted, let me give you my opinion. I am the kind of person who suggests safe care over feature rich car any day and any time.

I visited M&M showroom to checkout XUV 300, first thing I noticed was the heft felt while lifting the bonet. It was HEAVY, I had to use 2 hands to lift it. No wonder it scored 5 star rating in GNCAP. My only complaint was the puny luggage space. It was non existent. Hence dropped from my list.

I visited Nexa showroom next, on paper the S-Cross was very good, but the moment I lifted the bonet I knocked it off from my list. It was feather light. It doesn't have any proven safety ratings. The all black interiors was not doing any favors to the ambience. Hence this was knocked off.

Honda WRV even though not crash tested, it's sibling Jazz scored a respectable 4 stars with sturdy body structure.

I wish you best of luck. Please do consider safety over features and resale value.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:39   #25
BHPian

Dear Aaaditto,

I would go for a Mahindra offering. They have a good dealer presence in semi urban as well as rural areas. May i suggest the TUV 300? It has a high seating, good engine, adjustible seat, suspension tuned for rural areas, can handle abuse, (may not be as feature rich as the others in your list). I own one and no complaints. I don't even need the features of the Seltos, Sonets, Hectors, Harriers etc. In fact the TUV towers over all of these on the roads!
Old 16th February 2022, 10:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
o Longevity – I won’t be changing it for a new one in the next hundred years
Nothing else can last longer than a VW/Skoda in your budget. Fully galvanized rust free body, forever shining paint, sturdiest build quality amongst all the available option in this segment. Odor free non-toxic interiors with top class insulation. Wonder non of the VW/Skoda model could make place in your shortlist.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:08   #27
DVK
BHPian

My 2 cents:

S-Cross:
  • We do have a 2015 SCross Diesel in the family. It is a brilliant car for the price point and am sometimes I do find it hard to justify our Creta's additional price over the S-Cross purely from suspension and comfort point of view.
  • About the handling on bad roads, over the years, we did manage to take it over some non-existent roads and some that might be worthy of being on an off-road course, specifically the axle breaker. This is one of the only places where I felt it needed some more GC. It did come out scratch free with creative manoeuvring, but the long nose is not too confidence inspiring in such situations (in case you ever encounter them).
  • While I do not have experience with the Petrol SVHS, I think you do not need to worry about finding parts. It may however become expensive with the hybrid system and some suspension components though.
  • Maruti service being cheap is a myth. At least in the official dealerships. Since you mention that you do have someone to take a look at it, it might make it cheaper. But again, suspension overhauls are quite costly. If I am not wrong, the S-Cross is also known for ineffective AC cooling after some years. We faced this issue too, but hoping that it was rectified in the newer models.
  • It is still a brilliant car and this despite the "dated" (I like to call it functional) interiors. It is THE most Value For Money car in the market today. The newly launched Carens in the base variant might come close though.

XUV300:
  • Not much experience with the ownership of this car, but I do have extended family and family friends whose cars I did drive. Both petrol and diesel.
  • It has brilliant suspension! Much better in the bad roads than the S-Cross.
  • The power delivery too is very different from S-Cross and you might end up enjoying the open roads a lot more in this.
  • It does suffer from a very small boot and the A-Pillar causes a bigger blind-spot for the driver than the S-Cross. Maybe this is why you were finding it tougher to manoeuvre.
  • The car is very nimble though and from the driver's point of view, it seems like a much bigger car and takes some getting used to.
  • Not sure of the servicing costs, but I do assume that Mahindra would have a dealership network nearby. If your FNG does have some experience with this car, I think that would be cherry on the cake for you.

Overall, I think both cars should easily last till 15 years. Not sure about a timeline longer than that. I would go for the XUV300 if your 20% bad roads are really bad and you do enjoy the occasional drives on the highway. And I would pick the S-Cross if you plan on taking a lot more luggage with you on the trips OR if you have a growing family who might need the extra legroom at the back.

I have no experience with the WRV, hence no comments. And in your position I would avoid the VAGs. and all the other new entrants.
DVK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:17   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Various quandaries

1. I have a mechanic friend, who worked as a Grade-A mechanic at a Maruti Service Centre for many years, and then started a very successful local workshop of his own. He is a truly expert mechanic, with lots of experience and a very good sense.

When I asked for his advise, specifically about moving away from Maruti as a brand, he categorically mentioned that I should not venture into TATA & Renault vehicles – while the Mahindras, & Hyundais were fine. In his opinion – those two brands are not trustworthy in the long haul. But I see that the new TATA CSUV’s are amongst the highest rated and very popular vehicle in the market today!

So, should I disregard the warning of my mechanic friend?
Your Mechanic friend is correct.

If you are using the vehicle on village roads and you have high amount of use - You should stick to Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Toyota. The last two brands can endure a lot more abuse than the first two.

A lot of people in the rural side switched over from old Mahindra`s to Duster back when it was launched, felt sturdy and suspension was like a magic carpet ride but It did not take long before the maintenance bills started to give them heart attack. Tata`s most abuse friendly vehicle was the Sumo, that is not around anymore.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:32   #29
BHPian

Considering your regular commute within Birbhum villages, monthly visit to Kolkata/ cities through highways, regular highway drives, occasional hill drives to dooars, Darjeeling, Sikkim mountain roads, your height, requirements of bonnet left side visibility etc. Following would be my choice:

1. Brezza/ UC
2. XUV300 (petrol),
3. S-cross (petrol),
4. Bolero Neo (Diesel).

At this age, you are a lucky person not to ask for AT. Hence you have very good options available in MT.

My friends say Brezza/ UC cabin is more silent than S-cross. He recently bought UC. His height is 5'8". His wife is about 5'4" and she absolutely loves this UC for her regular commute in the city of Gurgaon.

S-cross will be cumbersome in kolkata narrow and congested streets due to it's length (about 300 mm, almost 1 feet). Same for hills.

XUV300 is the most wide car among all these- about 1.5 inches (36 mm) more than S-cross. However it is not that big and boxy when we see it on road. Afterall it is sub-4 meter car just like Brezza, Bolero Neo.

Bolero Neo is now a little shorter than earlier version (TUV300). However it is 3-cylinder diesel engine.

In my opinion, you need a sturdy car / c-suv for your usage and frequent highway travel. Bolero Neo returns a good FE figure if not driven insanely.

S-cross won't be a great choice in your Village roads and narrow, congested city roads. In city it would be subjected to more torture than Bolero Neo or XUV300. Though these two Mahindra cars are sub-4 meter, street people, cycle, auto, thelawala, bikers won't mess around that much what they would do with S-cross or Brezza.

C-SUVs would be better for relatively shorter height drivers to manage through congested roads, bad roads than low sedan types. However, S-cross real estate is royal.

By the way, do you get the chance of driving at 100+ speed in west bengal expressways? Or for that matter is the 60-80 range need to be good? Whenever I drive in highways near kolkata those are always full of barricades in regular intervals of 500 meters or so. I could hardly drive beyond 60 kmph. Anyway I am not that expert driver, I stay within safe limits.

Also, please check for S-cross suspension performance (feedbacks from owners, users) and issues in this forum and in the internet/ friends. You need a good suspension setup for the bad roads.

Last edited by RijuC : 16th February 2022 at 11:37.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Based on your requirements, Upcoming Brezza(or the Toyota equivalent, if you have dealership) might just suit the bill perfectly. Maruti is trying to catch up with competition and next update should be safer, more features and have the reach of Maruti service centres.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks