Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2022, 09:55   #76
BHPian

Re: Middle-aged middle-class man seeking help in buying his 1st & last car

If you are able to digest the look of Ignis, it is a good city car otherwise, and build quality is better among the Maruti Suzuki cars. FE is good, view from driver's seat is good, I use the Swift car with same engine (completely broken pathetic Gurgaon roads and highways to Hills of Uttarakhand and Himachal, 120 kmph in expressways to broken and under construction hill roads); and it never give me trouble. Ignis has a better wheel size/ tires.

Regarding S-cross, I have already posted somewhere in this forum that I am seeing many new S-cross in my place (Rural Gurgaon) and near our project site (rural UP industrial area-power and cement plants) parked next to the cows in Gaushala etc. Usually these areas are full of rugged big SUVs like Scorpio, Bolero, XUV, Fortuner, Endeavour, Jeep etc. Money is nothing for the consumers here. What I mean is definitely these owners/ users have seen some value and usability of S-cross in these areas. Roads are broken, sunken, filled with brick bats/ stones, loose soil, mud and mix of everything, undulated due to heavy machinery, truck, RMC, bulker truck and crane movements. And S-cross is able to negotiate these roads!

However, present S-cross interior is too plain (I won't say dated); and the youngsters in your family/ your own self may get bored very soon. A good music system setup, navigation screen and good AC are minimum things I would like to have. ORVM folding switch and ORVM mirror adjustment switch/ joystick should be there. Also, rear windshield defogger and rear wiper will be required for you in this hot and humid weather and dusty rural roads.

Sunroof, auto switching head lamps, auto rain sensing wipers, Auto switching of IRVM, big TV screens on dashboard, head up display etc. are fancy features IMHO, and not essential for budget consumers of our age. Everything can be made auto- complex logics, interlocks, algorithms and calculations, navigations, protections can be implemented in a car. But the car is actually not a spacecraft.

In case you think about saving few lakhs and happy with a smaller car, can check out the new model of Celerio. It's rounded shape looks cute to me. Last cute small cars were old Alto and old Zen (early 2000 timeline). Build quality is no good.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 13:47   #77
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditto View Post
So, should I be looking at the Ignis with more seriousness - I wonder?!
I can give you my thoughts on Ignis and Ertiga that we own and I regularly drive.

Ignis
Pros: Ignis is a very well put together car and it drives reasonably smooth. It is comfortable and reasonably roomy. The engine has also got a bit of a sporty note to it. I don't see any practical challenges with its ground clearance unless you compare it with a SUV. In fact its running board is also plastic cladded, which may often save you some underbody damage. And it is extremely fuel efficient.

Cons: While the car is built well, it still feels light when the roads are bumpy. The suspension is good for city roads, but I feel the movement is limited to handle bad patches at speed.

Ertiga
Compared to the Ignis, it is a better cruiser and has a more planted feel to it. The overall length of the car makes the chassis feel less stiff and that's where Ignis feels better.

Ertiga is smoother, has slightly better ground clearance, but is definitely not as fuel economical.

Ertiga's suspension also has a more mature feel to it compared to Ignis.

If you use/ care for second row comfort, Ertiga is the best, with excessive legroom and dedicated AC. We removed the 3rd row seat, so we have a large boot too.

My family does not like to travel in my Octavia as much as they prefer the Ertiga.

While I started out to recommend Ignis, I realise that using Ertiga as a hatch has an extremely royal feel to it and a value for money proposition as well.

You can get hold of an Ertiga for a price closer to your budget and get a car which is far more practical than anything else at this price point. IMO XL6 is premium Ertiga, which loses on VFM compared to Ertiga.

Last edited by SLK : 18th February 2022 at 14:03.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 14:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

It was interesting reading about you and your experience with Maruti cars. Since you've started of by saying first and last car, I'd suggest that you play safe and get the Vitara Brezza or S-Cross, they may not turn heads but will endear to you with their reliability. Vitara Brezza update is just around the corner I suggest you wait for it, I would also have suggesed the Kia Carens but since you say you hail from a remote rural area, I think it would be wise to stick with a brand with ample service support.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 18th February 2022 at 14:17.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 18:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
3. What I meant was to rethink and prioritise your requirements.
- If fuss free and economical ownership costs are non negotiable then the VW/Skoda are out.
- If ease of service is paramount then based on your location some manufacturers won't be feasible if the ASC is 200kms away.
- On the GC front like mentioned in point 2 above see how the car behaves on your track, something with a lower GC could perform well too if the tuning matches.

Would be clearer then, IMHO since some of the cars would be out then.

PS : If TDing the Ignis, do watch out for the self centring issue, I believe it has been sorted but never checked.
Again, thank you so much for such precise and painstaking guidance -
You people are just amazing!!!

Your point #3 makes perfect sense... and of course, I know I need to get the priorities in place. But that's always easier said than done, isn't it?!
  • "fuss free and economical ownership"
- Yes, that IS a paramount requirement.
- And, as far as I can make out, you don't believe that the hardy built-quality for the foreign brands will cut the ice in the long run? That is, those cars WILL come with repeated and expensive maintenance/ repair requirements?!
- In which case, VW/ Skoda/ MG/ Nissan(?) will need to be struck off(?)
  • "ease of service"
- Again, QUITE a paramount requirement, indeed. While I can easily take the car down to Kolkata for the scheduled services - what happens when there's a breakdown!? (Something as simple as a bumper coming loose, maybe?!)
- I couldn't even locate a dedicated dealership in our vicinity - for VW/Skoda/MG - let alone a service centre! The 'nearest' ones are in Kolkata. So, yes - those have to go!
- However, even M&M doesn't really have an ASC in our nearby town of Bolpur (15 kms away) - the closes one is c.50 kms. However, the M&M Sales Manager accompanying the recent TD for XUV300 mentioned that they have some sort of 'local mechanic' network in Bolpur, who are 'trained' (& 'authorised'?) to do repair jobs for M&M.
- In that respect, only Maruti, Hyudai & TATA have established ASC in Bolpur
  • Ignis GC & self centring issues
- Yes, there can be no alternative to actually driving the car!
I have followed your lead and reported the lethargy of the Nexa Dealer to provide TD's - as well as booked the TD's (for the Ignis, as well as a 2nd one for the S-Cross) through the Nexa Helpline - but have not heard from the Dealer yet!
- I have noticed the self centring issue in both the Brezza & S-Cross, during my recent TD's. Guess it's a Maruti 'thing'?!
Thanks for the heads up - will keep a lookout for it, if and when I do get the TD
Aaditto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 19:36   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would that be legal? From a warrantee as well as PVD point of view?

Also, would that not hamper the dynamics of the car. I sort of assumed that a car needs to be fitted with the particular tire SIZE, as originally designed!?
Upsize of 3% (diameter) is legal internationally, and does not hamper anything (except the speedo and odo readings, which are calibrated for the smaller diameter - and your calculated fuel efficiency will go down too, because of the odometer error). Even a 5% upsize is not a problem, and the only warranty you will miss out on is of suspension and wheel bearings - but in 99.99% cases, these parts are not affected by the upsize unless you use the car mercilessly (which you obviously don't).

MY Ciaz's original tyre size is 195/55R16, but I run 195/60R16, which is a 3.14% (~10mm) increase in diameter. This has reduced bumper lip and underbody scraping to almost zero, compared to earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Have you test-driven the XL6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
XL6 of Maruti Suzuki is good...
You need to look at this car. Also, read D-BHPian Leoshashi's ownership review of his XL6. And my travelogue (Stuck in snowfall and returned | A 650 km day-trip with a Maruti Suzuki XL6 Automatic).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th February 2022 at 19:45.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 20:05   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- However, even M&M doesn't really have an ASC in our nearby town of Bolpur (15 kms away) - the closes one is c.50 kms. However, the M&M Sales Manager accompanying the recent TD for XUV300 mentioned that they have some sort of 'local mechanic' network in Bolpur, who are 'trained' (& 'authorised'?) to do repair jobs for M&M.
-
If you are in a fairly remote place, please do think of the Bolero classic, the current model on sale is surprisingly easy to drive, instant pickup, refined (in normal driving it is quiter inside than many many expensive diesel cars) and handles village roads with ease. We have taken the mHawk Bolero on very very long trips and it cruises comfortably at highway speeds more than it has any right to while sipping very less fuel.

White color,keep it clean and it has as much road presence as anything on 4 wheels can get, goes pretty much anywhere too.
Old 18th February 2022, 20:20   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You need to look at this car. Also, read D-BHPian Leoshashi's ownership review of his XL6. And my travelogue (Stuck in snowfall and returned | A 650 km day-trip with a Maruti Suzuki XL6 Automatic).
Thank you for the suggestion. A number of others have suggested the same, on this thread earlier. While some have suggested the Ertiga/ Innova. At least a couple of people have also suggested the Kia Carens (which actually looks quite smart, by my books)...

However, I am NOT fond of cars with THREE rows of seats. Especially when the 2nd and 3rd rows have bucket seats, as opposed to benches - but even the ones that have 2nd/3rd row as a 'bench', I still don't find them to be cosy enough, as a car for a small family.
Aaditto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 20:58   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Again, thank you so much for such precise and painstaking guidance -
You people are just amazing!!!

Your point #3 makes perfect sense... and of course, I know I need to get the priorities in place. But that's always easier said than done, isn't it?!
  • "fuss free and economical ownership"
- Yes, that IS a paramount requirement.
- And, as far as I can make out, you don't believe that the hardy built-quality for the foreign brands will cut the ice in the long run? That is, those cars WILL come with repeated and expensive maintenance/ repair requirements?!
- In which case, VW/ Skoda/ MG/ Nissan(?) will need to be struck off(?)
  • "ease of service"
- Again, QUITE a paramount requirement, indeed. While I can easily take the car down to Kolkata for the scheduled services - what happens when there's a breakdown!? (Something as simple as a bumper coming loose, maybe?!)
- I couldn't even locate a dedicated dealership in our vicinity - for VW/Skoda/MG - let alone a service centre! The 'nearest' ones are in Kolkata. So, yes - those have to go!
  • Ignis GC & self centring issues
- Yes, there can be no alternative to actually driving the car!
I have followed your lead and reported the lethargy of the Nexa Dealer to provide TD's - as well as booked the TD's (for the Ignis, as well as a 2nd one for the S-Cross) through the Nexa Helpline - but have not heard from the Dealer yet!
- I have noticed the self centring issue in both the Brezza & S-Cross, during my recent TD's. Guess it's a Maruti 'thing'?!
Thanks for the heads up - will keep a lookout for it, if and when I do get the TD
Hello Brother, I've recently driven around District Birbhum, particularly in Bolpur and can understand your struggle with ASC in Bolpur. Even I too had to be cautious with my Honda car which did not have an ASC in Bolpur.

Looking at your requirements and the robustness of vehicle required I will straight away suggest you either Maruti or Tata for the driving conditions of Bolpur.
Secondly I will never suggest you a BS6 diesel engine even it be of world renouned Toyota. BS6 diesel engines are getting out of control for their issues related to adblu.

If I were you, I would have gone for the Brezza/S-cross Or the Nexon, Only petrol engines.

Options are endless. The basic criteria you have are fulfilled only by Maruti or Tata cars. Every car will have it benefits and miss out on some features. Balance can never be achieved unless you take the plunge and own one, and adjust to its shortcomings and rejoice it's features.

Take the leap of faith based on your budget.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 01:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- But that's always easier said than done, isn't it ?

- they have some sort of 'local mechanic' network in Bolpur, who are 'trained' (& 'authorised'?) to do repair jobs for M&M.

- Always

- It's not about the hardy build but more about the electronics, sensors malfunctions which will necessitate a visit to the ASC. Ready availability of spares might not be feasible at various locations which will add to the out of service days. On top of all this the costs will be quite high too.
The newer VAG cars also have issues with quality already documented in the forum.
Here's a recent post which highlights the gravity of the situation : Kushaq Quality Issues (Skoda Kushaq Review).

- I would be apprehensive about a local mechanic doing anything outside of regular service. Doesn't look good for Mahindra too at your location.

- Then see if something appeals to you from the three.
I am banking on Ignis to save you some money and also TD the Tiago NRG it has higher GC(181mm) and different suspension tune than the regular Tiago. Worth a TD before you start moving towards the bigger cars.

Last edited by shancz : 19th February 2022 at 01:14. Reason: Add GC info
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 03:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aaditto,

Have not gone through all the replies in the thread, but have been half following it for the past few days. Pardon me in case what I say has been said before.

Approach
For long term ownership, proper maintenance is often key. Maruti 800 and the vehicles of the era were a different scenario. The sophistication, complexity, and small parts being specialized make a good case for A.S.S. repair. For most modern cars, IMO it works out cheaper in the long run to stick to the A.S.S. due to increased trouble-free lifespan of the vehicle, which significantly reduces total cost of ownership; also makes for happy miles.

If I was in your shoes, I think I'd follow this approach:
1. Shortlist cars which were above acceptable limits (including how trouble-free it is considered)
2. Further decide on what I can maintain well in my surroundings and constraints
3. If there no. 2 yields multiple cars which are similar, then look at what I like better.

Right now, it appeared to me that most of the focus is on no.1, and not enough on 2 as a deciding factor.

Uncertain Car Recommendation
I can't recommend with much certainty, but I am inclined to agree with GTO on this about the XUV300, as long as the boot size isn't an issue. I am on the hunt for a SUV, and casually checked the XUV300's interiors (partly on @shancz's recommendation) and was impressed with the interiors, even when the others I checked were in the 20-30L bracket. It does have the plushness you seek (depending on the variant). The front is spacious. On the diesel version, you get 300Nm from a 4 cylinder (petrol is 3 cylinder) on an approx 1.3 tonne vehicle (excellent torque to weight ratio - should be much fun to drive, more so on the highway), with decent FE. I expect it to be fairly rugged too, but others can guide you better on that. It is the only one with a 2600mm wheelbase which allows one to take the tax advantage of a sub 4m car (the reason for a small boot).

As far as the looks go, most CSUVs and many SUVs look like blown up hatchbacks to me. In terms of proportions they aren't too far from hatchbacks. While the XUV300 doesn't look sharp, I think it is the kind many would get used to after a while. The colour choice too might make it look more acceptable. Unless some extreme like or dislike, most tend to notice the proportions etc way lesser after having spent some time (a year?) with the vehicle.

XUV300, of course, if you have adequate service support nearby.

I wish you all the best to reach an appropriate decision, with all the pains you are taking, and all the love, affection and camaraderie you're getting on the forum

Poitive

Last edited by Poitive : 19th February 2022 at 03:39. Reason: Refinement, tiny content additon
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 21:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I am banking on Ignis to save you some money and also TD the Tiago NRG it has higher GC(181mm) and different suspension tune than the regular Tiago. Worth a TD before you start moving towards the bigger cars.
Well, @shancz... following your lead (I think there was someone else on the thread too, who had the same suggestion) - and thanks to a nice Relationship-Manager at the otherwise-lackadaisical Nexa unit nearby - I did the Ignis TD today... Yes, on my local dirt-track, as well as the highway connector.

I also did a TD with the Tata Pulse. Though the dealer is still unable to provide TD's for the Altros & Tiago.

Hmph! What a frustrating afternoon it has been!!!
What can I say... the smooth-riding, sweet-sounding Ignis has looks that are such a total IGNOMINY - while the swell-looking Tata just did not have any PUNCH in the power train, what so ever!

The sound of the 4-cylinder K12 petrol engine of the Ignis was such a pleasure - and it's smooth power train seemed perfectly efficient. Even when I tried the 5th gear just below 50kmph, the engine seemed totally fine with it! The drive quality, suspension, transmission, throttle response all seemed great.
But the look of the car - God, the design is outright stupid, if not ugly!

On the other hand, I really liked the designing of the Punch. The exterior lines are brilliantly balanced. This was the 1st CSUV, in all this while of TD'ing, which did not seem "boxy" to me - especially, from the driver's seat. Even the interior seemed pretty smart and underplayed (barring the weird rear windshield, with it's small size, odd black sticker all around. And the high headrests add to the lack of visibility).
But the 1.2 lt. NA engine just seemed to give up, once it reached 70-80 kmph! There's just no way that car can perform with any amount of efficiency out on the highway!

How I wished I could marry the two cars, and get one that looked like the Punch, and behaved like the Ignis...
Aaditto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 13:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How I wished I could marry the two cars, and get one that looked like the Punch, and behaved like the Ignis
This has been a much revered match and not just the Punch.
TML's weak points are MSIL's strong ones and vice versa, think over you'll be baffled at how perfectly it matches

Punch and earlier the Altroz is exactly why I hate TML's incremental release of power and gears policy. They already have the iTurbo on the Altroz on the same platform but alas.
Altroz too doesn't generate the same power and torque as the Nexon.
But their car their call, we have to deal with what we have.

I had the same feeling on the Ignis when I first saw it but over time it has grown on me as a good urban car. That or maybe I have aged faster

After the TDs the question again is what car ?

Last edited by shancz : 20th February 2022 at 13:40. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 14:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
If you are able to digest the look of Ignis, it is a good city car otherwise, and build quality is better among the Maruti Suzuki cars. FE is good, view from driver's seat is good
Precisely! "If (I am) able to digest the look of Ignis..."

It seems like a tough thing to do! Just looking at its photos were making me cringe... and now, after having seen it up front - I have to say this is probably one of MUL's worst design hacks! The car has proportions that are reminiscent of something like the Mini Cooper - and yet, it manages to be just as ugly as the Cooper is beautiful. I wonder how Maruti manages these bizare designs... it's really tough to get it THIS wrong, if you ask me.

On the other hand, even though I drove a rather manhandled Test-Vehicle, that too in the evening, I though the Ignis was pretty sorted under the bonnet, as well as in other mechanical departments.

What a sad outcome, to a nice plan!

Quote:
One correction - apparently I was mistaken about TATA having local ASC - they don't. The nearest one is, again, 50 Km away - just as with M&M/ Nissan.

Now, just because we are thinking about "save (me) some money..." - and basically, since I am 'downgrading' my thinking from the S-Cross heartache, to see if I can find a "high hatchback" which could suffice - another though has popped into my mind yesterday. It would be great to hear what you guys have to say about it...

How about TD'ing the Renault Kwid 1.0?!

I have always loved it's looks - and yes, I know, it's 3-cylinder, GNCAP=0, etc... but still, after reading the TBHP official review, I thought maybe I should give it a try?!

Quote:
After the TDs the question again is what car ?
EXACTLY! Back to square one, really!
Aaditto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 14:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sound of the 4-cylinder K12 petrol engine of the Ignis was such a pleasure - and it's smooth power train seemed perfectly efficient. Even when I tried the 5th gear just below 50kmph, the engine seemed totally fine with it! The drive quality, suspension, transmission, throttle response all seemed great.
But the look of the car - God, the design is outright stupid, if not ugly!

On the other hand, I really liked the designing of the Punch. The exterior lines are brilliantly balanced. This was the 1st CSUV, in all this while of TD'ing, which did not seem "boxy" to me - especially, from the driver's seat. Even the interior seemed pretty smart and underplayed (barring the weird rear windshield, with it's small size, odd black sticker all around. And the high headrests add to the lack of visibility).
But the 1.2 lt. NA engine just seemed to give up, once it reached 70-80 kmph! There's just no way that car can perform with any amount of efficiency out on the highway!
I came 'this' close to getting an Ignis, looks are indeed polarizing, you either like it or hate it there's no in between. I actually liked the looks of the Ignis . I TDed the manual and it was for my daughter who wasn't comfortable with a manual transmission (I don't blame her; city bump and grind is such and probably the looks weren't to her liking). It's a great little car from a ultra reliable brand and you can't go wrong with it, looks will grow on you. or consider the more rounded but staid S-Cross: both aren't that great sellers for Maruti so be sure to bargain. Compared to Maruti Tata's are better built but come with their gremlins and rough edges and if you're able to live with that I suggest the Altroz it's one 'looker' and you can't take your eyes of it...

Last edited by Durango Dude : 20th February 2022 at 14:11.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 16:25   #90
BHPian

Whoa!! What a thread and what an awesome no of amazing replies that you have got.

I am pretty pleased to note that many people like/ love the Bolero/ Scross and Xuv300 here.

I searched for my dream car for 3 years. I ended buying the Scross. You can read my ownership thread here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ay-petrol.html (Crossing into the grays: Maruti S-Cross Zeta granite gray petrol)

The 60-80 kmph problem. Shift gear down to 4th and just zoom. Better still go down to 3rd and rip.

I did extensive test drives of all cars mentioned here. The reason I did not buy the 300 was the boot space. It was the most enjoyable driving car though.

So if luggage is not your problem and you do like to enjoy the highways once in a while, go for the 300.
With the S cross you just can’t go wrong. It has all the right ingredients like the plain old daal chaawal. You can eat that all your life and you will enjoy the flavour too. The problem with this car is once you experience it’s highway manners, it is hard to go to any other sub 10 lakh car.

The suggestions here are all worth their weight in gold. Crisp old solid first hand experienced information.

Go for test drives and buy what tugs your heart. Drive a car you love and not what you have to make do with. This will give you smiles for a lifetime. I will love to see what you purchase at the end. Happy shopping.
And my best wishes.
knrn is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks