Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 07:20   #61
BHPian

Re: Middle-aged middle-class man seeking help in buying his 1st & last car

Why not buy the Nexon? It is compact enough for the city roads, high enough for rural cross country, has a decent engine and is available within your budget. The car has good interiors, is sturdily built, delivers decent fuel economy and most importantly, provides great comfort for a family of 4.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
In simplest of words, look no further than the S-Cross/Brezza duo.
Agree with both options. Having done some rough driving as well as back seat travel in a friends Brezza on broken roads, you will be surprised at how well it behaves on rough terrain as well as highways.

I think the Brezza doesn't get it's due on most car forums just because it's Maruti and desperately needs a refresh. However for both S-Cross and Brezza, the re-launch with new interiors/exteriors might be a few months away. So better to wait.

You should also consider the Bolero Neo (Erstwhile TUV300) with an open mind - Much better looking and compact compared to the Bolero, fresh interiors, commanding driving position, rugged body-on-frame construction. It's the only "Real SUV" at that price point. However, only if you like the "Jeep" look. It's a polarizing topic. I love it, while my family has vowed to disown me if I get anything Jeep-like !

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th February 2022 at 19:52.
ashishpotdar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:02   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
On the international brands :
- Skoda/VW : new cars, EPC issues, quality issues reported, maintenance is bound to be expensive and it doesn't seem like they'll age well given what we know.
Whether its the Taigun or Kushaq and expectng the Slavia and Virtus to be on similar lines.
They might improve but considering your case it isn't a risk worth taking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Nothing else can last longer than a VW/Skoda in your budget. Fully galvanized rust free body, forever shining paint, sturdiest build quality amongst all the available option in this segment.

So, the plot thickens!

While @shancz feels I should definitely stay away from VW/Skoda - and I fully agree with the reasoning you put up - at the same time, what @tbppjpr asserts is also equally valid. These two companies have been globally acclaimed to use some of the best materials ever, to build their cars!

"Fully galvanized rust free body, forever shining paint, sturdiest build quality" These aren't factors that can be taken lightly - when thinking of a durable car!
On the other hand, "EPC issues, quality issues reported, maintenance is bound to be expensive and it doesn't seem like they'll age well" - these are all seriously worrisome factors, particularly in my specific situation!
__________________________________________________ ______

I am a little confused with the following part of your comment, @tbppjpr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Wonder non of the VW/Skoda model could make place in your shortlist.
That was the primary point of my earlier post - the fact that I was exploring the options from VW/Skoda... see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditto View Post
... And that also brings me back to the primary quandary which is plaguing me at the moment - how reliable are the international bigwigs, in their Indian avatar? Primarily in terms of after-sales/ service network/ availability and economy of parts. But also in terms of longevity - in the sense that are they making their India-specific cars to be at par with their international standards, or are they compromising on the build quality, to keep at par with Indian price-brackets?

I have been attracted to a number of models, by the following brands - but am unsure whether I should venture out of the Maruti-Mahindra-Tata-esque brands, which are basically 'local', and tested in terms of serviceability... Should I be even looking at these international brands (and models) ~
  • Volkswagen (New Taigun)
  • Skoda (Kushaq)
  • Nissan (Kicks/ Magnite)
  • MG (Astor)
As I have mentioned earlier. one of my primary requirement is a car that will be in acceptable working condition 10 years down the line.
So, any advise in this matter of 'local' vs international brands would be much appreciated!
Aaditto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Hi Aaditto,

I am a current user of the older version of Bolero Neo (TUV 300). Below is my view(s) on the Bolero Neo:
In my view, Bolero would be a bit too utilitarian for your use. Yes, it does fit your requirements perfectly - except the Petrol engined aspect. However, keeping your age in mind, I personally believe it is too utilitarian.

The XUV300 is a good option, but in my view, it is more for city use than your requirement.
Thank you for putting it so succinctly, @LegalEagle. You have articulated my feeling perfectly!

If I was looking at buying a car say 10-15 years ago, the Bolero Neo would have been amongst my top choices. Back then, I was a person who had no roots, so to say. I was wanderer. Doing cross-country solo bike rides... daring to drive our Maruti 800 into jungle tracts with no defined roads... loading up our Gypsy with 12 members of our Project's staff and driving over paddy-fields for 5 hours straight, to get to a village wedding where only bullock carts travel...

But today, at 50 years of age, and with the full time responsibility of running a rural-action project, which takes about 16-hours a day of my time, 365 days a year - I don't really see myself revisiting my wanderer years.

I also have a family now. And really, while I am least interested in most of the 'features' that so many new cars are offering today, I am definitely interested in a little bit of 'plushness' in the car I hope to buy!
Old 17th February 2022, 14:24   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...while I am least interested in most of the 'features' that so many new cars are offering today, I am definitely interested in a little bit of 'plushness' in the car I hope to buy!
That explains your requirement a lot better. Have you test-driven the XL6?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 16:19   #66
BHPian

Quote:
But today, at 50 years of age, and with the full time responsibility of running a rural-action project, which takes about 16-hours a day of my time, 365 days a year - I don't really see myself revisiting my wanderer years.

I also have a family now. And really, while I am least interested in most of the 'features' that so many new cars are offering today, I am definitely interested in a little bit of 'plushness' in the car I hope to buy!
I think you are more inclined towards a car and not really need an utility or dual purpose type of vehicle (family comfort+utility for work in rural area).

However most of us were posting the suggestions considering ruggedness, bad roads/ no roads, relatively remote place, service centre availability, safety in highways etc.

Yesterday I was going through the new Boleno (to be launched soon) thread. The car looks good, promising good features and useful gadgets, spacious hatchback. Negatives are Maruti Suzuki build quality (though it is expected to be better than the current model), wide body (expect lots of scratches in narrow congested streets), no visible bonnet left side.

Real life average FE should be about 18 kmpl with AC on (my 5 years old swift gives approx 20 kmpl on ODO reading and not less than 16 in bumper to bumper traffic, with AC/ heater always ON).

Another option could be Skoda Slavia 1.0 MT base variant. It would overshoot the budget at least by 30% I guess. But it has a good ground clearance, and Skoda build quality, excellent engine are the plus points. Negatives are length of the car, service center only in Kolkata.

XL6 of Maruti Suzuki is good, but built quality seems to be inferior compared to S-cross, Brezza (my personal opinion). I prefer music from the car stereo than the car structures.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:31   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

• I need the car to have/ be –
o Reliable
o Sturdy
o Comfortable – from a suspension point of view
o Good ground clearance – village roads worthy
o Longevity – I won’t be changing it for a new one in the next hundred years
o Decent mileage – my economic standing is strictly middle-class
o Grounded – I enjoy cars with good traction
o Good throttle response

• I don’t need the car to have/ be
o Super-charged with ‘features’
o Turbo charged engine – I prefer NA engines
o Fitted with a sun-roof (in fact, I’d prefer if it does not have one)
o Any other ‘fringe benefit’ that does not affect the vehicle as such

However, there is one specific ‘feature’ – which would be very helpful to have. That is a HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE DRIVER SEAT. I am just 5’6” tall – and most of the modern cars don’t seem to offer as clear a view of the left corner of the bonnet as the cars of old did!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A budget of Rs 10 lacs on-road in West Bengal, but could be extended if justified.
Well boss, i think you would find the perfect venture in a Creta E 1.5 Diesel.
It's available for Rs 11.89 lacs on road. The features are as follows:
Dual airbags.
ABS with EBD.
Height adjustable driver seat.
Rear parking sensors.
Projector headlamps.
Remote unlocking.
Thats it! Nothing more. That's all you need from the factory. Sure, you could use electrical adjustable ORVM, but sadly it's missing.
City fuel efficiency is 16kmpl approx, highway is 20-21kmpl. Power and pickup is excellent. Being a Hyundai, it's niggle free and easily serviceable anywhere and everywhere.

What's more, for a few thousand rupees more, instantly OR down the line, you can add the following features from showroom(OEM) or aftermarket:

Aftermarket Music system with speakers.(10k for a double din head unit, 4k for 4 speakers)
OEM Sunglass holder with map lights.(Rs 2000 approx).
OEM Steering mounted audio AND cruise control(functioning). (Rs 1666)
OEM Rear parcel tray.(Rs 2000 approx).
OEM Fog Lamps(Rs 3000 approx.)

After fitting all these things, i think you'll have a vehicle which pretty much suits all your requirements and has almost zero electrical/mechanical components that could fail in the next 10-15 years. No power adjustable seats, sunroof, ventilated seats, air purifier, wireless charger, etc etc etc.

I did the same in 2019. Got myself a base model Creta E Plus 1.4 Diesel.
Mods which i added to my car were:
1. OEM Navigation system, brand new from used market(Rs 13k)
2. One pair of coaxial speakers from Blaupunkt and 1 pair of Pioneer. Amazon. Rs 3k total.
3. OEM map lights and sun glass holder. Rs 2200.
4. OEM Fog lamps with LED DRL. Rs 9000.
5. Aftermarket steering audio controls. Rs 1500.
6. Fabric seat covers. Rs 1500.

Pretty happy with the car. Simple, frugal, robust and a great mile-muncher.

Last edited by DeepakS : 17th February 2022 at 17:32.
Old 17th February 2022, 18:57   #68
BHPian

I have always been impressed (as a reader) by the seriousness and width of feedback that a post on this forum receives - and now, as a 'member' of the forum, I am totally in awe of how amazingly rich all your comments are!

Thank you everyone, for your very valuable feedback - it is proving to be a serious help - in my present journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
In my opinion, you have quite a lot of requirements from a 10-lakh Rupee car, and I believe the Brezza is the best suited option for you right now. Do give it another chance, you won’t be disappointed. It’s a car that will last you I’m sure. Else, get the WR-V, save for the weaker engine, it’s a great car still !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Purely from requirements perspective and given your location, any one of below cars will be a good buy:

Nexon Petrol - Mid variant is within budget. It is a very sorted car. Service and long life reliability will not be an issue. It has been in the market for over 6 years now and there haven't been any major issues reported for it.

Brezza - Mid or Top variant is within budget. Highest selling CSUV and a Maruti. Nothing else to be said

XUV 300 - Only lower variant is within budget so last preference. Exclusivity factor among the three.

Take a TD of all three and decide based on your driving experience. I don't think you need to go anywhere else beyond these three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkashwa View Post
... After noticing that you were open to both CSUVs and Hatchbacks, I was reminded of the Tata Altroz and the Nissan Magnite. Wonder if you had given these any thought? Both scored 4 stars for adult occupant safety in the GNCAP tests. If you have a dealership close by, I think you should be pretty well served...
I chose the multi-quoted posts above because all of them talk about some of the serious contenders for the Top-3 cars in my original list (Scross, XUV300, WR-V).

The other cars that have been highlighted in the above-quoted posts are:-
  • MS BREZZA
  • TATA NEXON
  • NISSAN MAGNITE
  • TATA ALTROZ

In fact, if you look at the full list of cars I had shortlisted in my original post, you will see that I had all these cars present in that list.

In the mean while, over the past few days, I have actually done TD with a few of them - and I am waiting for a TD with some of the others - back in our Project, with its rural & highway-connector surroundings.

Here's my car-by-car response to these recent TDs ~
  • MS Brezza - I had originally done a TD of Brezza in Kolkata, about a month back.
After the in-city TD there was nothing remarkable for me to note about it. Other than the fact that the 'cheap interior' that forums repeatedly talk about, were in fact, quite acceptable to me - if I were to choose this car after all.

However, when I did the 2nd TD recently, on the bad roads and highway-connector, I was not impressed!

I was subconsciously pitting it against the S-Cross, of course. Simply because that is the car which seems to have gone to my heart. But also because the S-Cross & Brezza share the same engine. The first thing that disappointed about the Brezza was the suspension. It was much stiffer, and much less responsive/ adaptive to the bad road. On the highway too, beyond 80 kmph, the Brezza seemed jittery. With a light steering, giving almost no feedback, much more body-roll, and a general lack of traction. In comparison, the S-Cross was miles ahead, in all these departments.
The mid-range lack of grunt was just as perceptible in the Brezza as in the S-Cross - maybe for a fraction of a second less - notwithstanding the lighter build of Brezza.
The only department where the Brezza seemed marginally above the S-Cross was the engine/ tire noise round 60-80 kmph. It was definitely less than what i remmeber hearing in the S-Cross. But not that substantially less either.
  • TATA Nexon - My first TD with it - disregarding my mechanic friend's admonition to stay away from TATA cars, based on feedback received here, on this forum.
It felt less boxy - which I liked, 'Boxyness' is one of my primary gripes with CSUVs.

The high ground clearance was a definite plus. However, even with that marked difference, I did not think it matched the S-Crosses delightful suspension - when negotiating the really dirty bump I have been subjecting all these cars to - a 10"+ ditch on one of our local dirt roads - the shocker jumped all the way to it's threshold and made a hideous metallic grunt. While the S-Cross had had no problem dealing with that same bump, with buttery ease! Having said that, the suspension seemed very well tuned - not too stiff, but hard enough for an SUV - and much better than, say the Venue, or other competitors.

Even though I was pleased with the slightly elongated proportion of this car (compared to other MSUVs) - I am not at all fond of its overall look. Especially the the rear-end dip of the side profile and the rear profile (taillight is outright hideous, by my books!). Though I really love the Foliage Green colour option.

The light interior is also a point of concern. Rural life tends to bring on mud stains and dust trails much more than in the cities.

My real gripe with the car however, was the power train!

First of all, it's imperatively Turbo-charged. Which I want to avoid, if possible! To my (not very in-depth) understanding of car engine mechanics, Turbo charged engines are unnecessarily complicated - and tend to be negatively effected by hot and humid temperatures. And I don't see the point of a turbo-charged engine in a country where average city speeds never cross 30-40 kmph, and highway travel never really offer the scope for 180 kmph! And of course, there's the turbo-lag. Which I do not enjoy, when driving through a congested city.

The other thing which was a bit disconcerting was the seriously tall gearing of the car! The gear shift indicator on the dash kept on saying "4" till the car sped up to 70-80-90 kmph. I am used to short, crisp gearing, with my M800. And actually, I like it that way. Of course, I'm sure I could get used to the long gears ultimately.

Though, if I understand it correctly, such tall gearing would hamper FE, in Indian driving conditions, no?!

Another point to note was the inefficiency shown by the nearest dealership, in the course of providing the TD. First, it took repeated website applications and follow-up phone calls to get the DT fixed. Then, the dealer failed the first time - and came 2 hours late, when they finally obliged on the second day.

I think that says something, it terms of what i might expect during future service from the company in our region!
  • Nissan Magnite - My first TD with it - scheduled before some of the feedback received here, on this forum, advising to stay away from Nissan.
It is one of the most appealing - look wise - cars in my list. I really love its design! And the interior was just as impressive.

The other thing that was remarkable was the feel of the car from the driver's seat - I did not feel 'boxed in' at all, as I have felt in a number of other CSUVs.

The suspension was also brilliant. Though I still wouldn't give it as many points - much like the Nexon - as the suspension of the S-Cross.

But the really disappointing part was the responsiveness, or the lack thereof, of the engine! Okay, it has less power compared to the others - 999cc. But then, that is more than what my M800 has. And the Magnite engine was feeling like an ant, compared to my 29-year old M800 racehorse!
  • TATA Altroz - I am still awaiting a TD with it - the TATA Relationship-Manager who came for my recent TD with the Nexon had promised to arrange it soon - but I am yet to hear from him!
It seemed like an option I should be exploring - the 'premium' hatchback bracket. I had thought of trying out both the i20 & the Altroz. And now one of you have suggested just that, here on the forum.

After my initial interest in the i20, a friend who owns one for the past 8 years, told me that it had serious issues with paint pealing and body rusting. Which is something I have found on a number of web forums too. However, I have also seen a post somewhere on the TBHP forum, which says that this issue with the i20 has now been corrected by Hyundai. And that it will not be an issue with the new cars.

I wonder whether that's true?! Because I do like the look of i20 quite a bit.. And I am still wondering whether I should at least give it a spin?

Though, many of you have provided ample reasoning on this thread for me to shy away from Hyundai - low mileage, high maintenance, and so on...

I bumped into a guy driving the Altroz, just the other day. And had a quick chat with him. He seemed totally happy with the car. Told me that he has been getting c.17 kmpl within the highly congested city of Bolpur, and 20-23 kmpl on the highways, over the past 6 months since he bought the vehicle.
But then, all new car owners tend to be in love with their vehicles, don't they?!

My only concern, when thinking about the Altroz (or the i20 & also the Ignis) is the GC. I really do need some extra GC than what hatchbacks provide!

That is why, what I am really looking for is a "crossover" - which is a hatchback with the height of an SUV (I have noted the S-Presso suggestion in another post. I will visit that suggestion separately). And unfortunately, the only two cars (within my price range), that maybe truly bracketed as Crossovers, are the S-Cross & the WR-V.
Aaditto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 20:05   #69
Team-BHP Support

Option out of left field, just in case none of the CSUVs make the cut (I think you're sold on the S-Cross). Have you considered a WagonR with the 1.2 liter K-series engine?

Not the sort of car you probably set out to consider, but surprisingly checks a LOT of the boxes in your requirement set!

Peppy, spacious, frugal, immensely practical, reliable, well within budget meaning you could do some serious usability/practical luxury upgrades to bring it up to par with some of the entry-level CSUVs, and still not crack the 10L mark.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 20:48   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So you need a reasonably comfortable small 5-seater petrol M/T vehicle with good ground clearance, very frugal on fuel and maintenance, that should last many years without spending a lot of time in a workshop.
Thank you for that post, @SS-Traveller - you have summed up (as well as gauged) my 'requirement' quite perfectly!

And your suggestion, to consider the S-Presso, is very sound. In fact, the first time I saw that car (on paper), I immediately thought that it fits my requirement perfectly - a high hatchback. Just what I want, basically!

Also, the "save some of those 10L for the future" part of your comment is something that I would be very happy to do! In fact, I would be the happiest if I could find an appropriate car which would come on-road within 8 Lacs, or so - if that was possible.

Unfortunately however, I was equally disappointed when I saw the S-Presso in real life. It just doesn't get the basic aerodynamics right - like so many other Maruti products.

I am an artist by training (sculptor/ painter/ printer/ photographer) - our eyes are trained to gauge proportions of objects, and our minds are trained to assess the physical dynamics of that object, based on the proportion (a beautiful sculpture is pointless, until it can stand straight and not keep falling down).

One look at the S-Presso tells me that it has the proportion totally screwed!

Make the track 12-18 inches wider, with the same wheelbase and height - and it would become the top contender in my list. But not the design they have at present. So, it' not just that I find the car appalling to look at, it's more the reason behind that look - the lack of proportion between it's three dimensions - which makes it a no go for me.

The same goes for the Wagor R - another car which has been suggested by some commentators here. Even though I know it's a great car (notwithstanding the fact that it maybe a bit flimsy). My aunt owns one, and I have driven it a number of times and been pleasured by it's efficiency as a vehicle. And yet, even after the recent-most makeover, I think Maruti still doesn't have it's proportions perfected.

The one car in the Maruti hatchback lineup - again, suggested by some of you here - which I am seriously intrigued by/ attracted to, is the IGNIS. But does it have an effective enough ground clearance to deal with super-high 'local' speed-breakers and unbelievable potholes - which abound on the routes I travel regularly??!
Aaditto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I was equally disappointed when I saw the S-Presso in real life. It just doesn't get the basic aerodynamics right - like so many other Maruti products.

I am an artist by training (sculptor/ painter/ printer/ photographer) - our eyes are trained to gauge proportions of objects, and our minds are trained to assess the physical dynamics of that object, based on the proportion (a beautiful sculpture is pointless, until it can stand straight and not keep falling down).

One look at the S-Presso tells me that it has the proportion totally screwed!

Make the track 12-18 inches wider...
To my mind, every CSUV has a totally screwed proportion! Whether it be the Ecosport, the TUV3OO/Bolero Neo, or the Nexon, and as you rightly said, the S-Presso.To that list can also be added the XL6 and the Ignis (who wants that weird looking C-pillar anyway?).
Quote:
The one car in the Maruti hatchback lineup - again, suggested by some of you here - which I am seriously intrigued by/ attracted to, is the IGNIS. But does it have an effective enough ground clearance to deal with super-high 'local' speed-breakers and unbelievable potholes - which abound on the routes I travel regularly??!
A quick fix would be to upsize the Ignis' tyres from the standard 175/65R15 size to 185/65R15 (gain about 6.5mm extra GC) or even a +1 wheel upsize with 185/65R16 tyres, giving you an extra 19mm of GC.
Old 17th February 2022, 22:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But does it have an effective enough ground clearance to deal with super-high 'local' speed-breakers and unbelievable potholes - which abound on the routes I travel regularly??!
It has the same GC as the S-Cross, 180mm but the difference would be in how it feels on your test track and bump

Some pointers :
- The Skoda/VW being sold today in the MQB-A0-IN platforms are the ones having these issues with quality control etc. So barring good driving dynamics, powertrains and quality I am apprehensive about other stuff.
If I understand correctly you want to buy a VW/Skoda as a bulletproof car which can take you to rural/remote areas everyday ? That's not the one unfortunately. IMO get one which has the better service network like MSIL/TML/Mahindra/Hyundai.

- Definitely TD the i20, its a cabin worth experiencing.
Also the newer i20 has a GC of 170mm so not that low but softer suspension would mean it would squat more.

- wagonR won't work in your case due to inferior GC, suspension and seats than the ones you're looking at.
Except the space it will feel like a downgrade since you've already TD'ed the other cars.

- I would suggest to rethink your requirements related to GC, pricing, service reach etc. would make things clearer IMO.

- Since this might be your last car(although I hope it doesn't), get the one you enjoy the most, whether its the S-Cross/XUV300/Ignis/Altroz/i20 or whatever else you enjoyed driving the most.

Last edited by shancz : 17th February 2022 at 22:34. Reason: added wr
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 02:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
... A quick fix would be to upsize the Ignis' tyres from the standard 175/65R15 size to 185/65R15 (gain about 6.5mm extra GC) or even a +1 wheel upsize with 185/65R16 tyres, giving you an extra 19mm of GC.
Would that be legal? From a warrantee as well as PVD point of view?

Also, would that not hamper the dynamics of the car. I sort of assumed that a car needs to be fitted with the particular tire SIZE, as originally designed!?
Old 18th February 2022, 05:49   #74
BHPian

So, should I be looking at the Ignis with more seriousness - I wonder?!

Again, that is a car which had attracted me initially - while I was looking at some comparative videos - where it was being tested alongside some of the leading CSUV's in the market... I have to say, barring the unnecessarily large headlight (by my books), I quite liked the overall presence/ specs/ dynamics (on paper) of the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
It (Ignis) has the same GC as the S-Cross, 180mm but the difference would be in how it feels on your test track and bump ...
- I would suggest to rethink your requirements related to GC, pricing, service reach etc. would make things clearer IMO...
@shancz - thanks for that information! I sort of assumed, that - being a hatchback - it would have a lower GC compared to any of the SUV's. However, as you rightly put it, I guess I will have to put it to my 'test track' to know what's what! The problem with that is - the nearest Nexa Dealer is not too forthcoming about providing TD's - since my location is a good 40-50 kms away from them!

Also, if I understand correctly, the GC on paper is NOT the only factor that decides how much of an actual clearance from ground - at the point of stress - a suspension can deliver in the real world? It is equally related to the wheelbase-to-track ration, the vehicle height & weight, as well as how the suspension has been tuned. Isn't that right?
At least that is how I have been explaining the 'remarkable' performance of the S-Crosses not-so-high GC dealing better with the bumps, in my mind.
Experts, please do correct me if I am wrong!

I am a little confused as to what you meant when you say, "I would suggest to rethink your requirements"... Could you elaborate that a bit more, please?

Quote:
... To that list can also be added the XL6 and the Ignis (who wants that weird looking C-pillar anyway?).

A quick fix would be to upsize the Ignis' tyres from the standard 175/65R15 size to 185/65R15 (gain about 6.5mm extra GC) or even a +1 wheel upsize with 185/65R16 tyres, giving you an extra 19mm of GC.
I agree, the C-Pillar is definitely weird! But then, being a 'middle-class-man', one learns to live with such 'shortcomings' - if it saves some precious moolah, at the end of the day! Which is where the following comment comes in...

Quote:
... Why don't you save some of those 10L for the future, and buy yourself a Maruti S-Presso (maybe even the top end model, with Android Auto)?
While I have already noted my reservations against the S-Presso in an earlier comment, the vital point that @SS-Traveller makes - "Why don't you save some of those 10L for the future" - is something that I am very much interested in!

So, while the S-Presso doe not cut the ice for me, I think the Ignis scores much higher, at least in terms of it's physical dynamics.

So, I am back to more confusion, and quandary! Succumb to my middle-class mentality and opt for a cheaper option - like the Ignis? Which means completely disregarding the 3-star NCAP rating for it. Obviously not a good plan, with the progressively weakening reflexes at my age!

Or, take the plunge and spend all the money at hand, to get a more robust car?!
Aaditto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 07:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. So, should I be looking at the Ignis with more seriousness - I wonder?!

2 It is equally related to the wheelbase-to-track ration, the vehicle height & weight, as well as how the suspension has been tuned. Isn't that right?

3. I am a little confused as to what you meant when you say, "I would suggest to rethink your requirements"... Could you elaborate that a bit more, please?
1. I would say yes, in my experience the large reflector headlamps provide excellent illumination so that could work well for you but haven't driven the Ignis. Try another dealer if available or book the TD through the website so you can escalate if needed. I hope it has an option for it.
The 180mm is a cut-off GC for classifying something as an "SUV" by MSIL hence they call it the"the urban SUV"

2. Not competent to comment on the wheelbase : track ratio. The tuning would matter as to how much the car squats but instead of bothering with numbers just take a TD on your track and know the results.

3. What I meant was to rethink and prioritise your requirements.
- If fuss free and economical ownership costs are non negotiable then the VW/Skoda are out.
- If ease of service is paramount then based on your location some manufacturers won't be feasible if the ASC is 200kms away.
- On the GC front like mentioned in point 2 above see how the car behaves on your track, something with a lower GC could perform well too if the tuning matches.

Would be clearer then, IMHO since some of the cars would be out then.

PS : If TDing the Ignis, do watch out for the self centring issue, I believe it has been sorted but never checked.

Last edited by shancz : 18th February 2022 at 07:26. Reason: added ps
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks