Indica Vista 32 21.48%
Others 5 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 23:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Come to think of it, I rally cannot pinpoint any shortcoming in the Getz CRDi except that its slightly costly. If you can afford it, and you love raw power it should serve you well.
If we keep the engine issue aside as of now, I think that there is one problem with Getz. Its lack of ABS.
I think here we all agree that Getz CRdi is one fast and quick car. Sometimes that torque pushes so hard that its not a controllable car for inexperienced car drivers. Great cruiser as we know from that suspension set up and space. Hyundai A.S & S. is not reported to be that bad, so everything works for Getz's favour, but from safety point of view, lack of ABS ?
That is shocking to me as even ABS is now offered in much less powerful cars like A-star/Wagon R/Santro/i10.
Given the performance of this car, ABS being not present is not the best combination for safety.
ABS as we know is an important feature that can make a difference, specially a car with so much torque.
This is where Swift steps in, it has all the features, good A.S & S. and is reliable and IMO, Swift will be a bit cheaper to maintain than Getz ( correct me if I am wrong ).

Personally speaking, we had one carsh where our Baleno rear ended Accent and I think ABS could have reduced the damage. A thread for this exists. After this, IMO, for any car capable of doing high speeds must have ABS. Sometimes even if its not your fault you cant say you will be forever safe.

The above is just my opinion that I have created that ABS for these powerful cars is a must. No offence meant to anyone.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
So it looks like a toss up between the Swift and Getz. Getz looks impressive from kpzen's comments.
Proxima.
It depends a lot on how and where u are gonna drive it..

We have two Getz CRDis and i must say both engines feel different after 15k kms just because the way they have been driven. Mine has mostly been on expressway doing 100+ speeds almost everyday while the other car has spent most of its time in Delhi traffic...

Getz is ahead of Swift in all departments except for the handling and driver's feel where Swift is undoubtedly the king and queen of its segment...
Old 4th February 2009, 23:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Ikon TDCi

Discussions are on elsewhere in this forum about the new Ford Ikon Duratorq TDCi. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ochure-19.html. Except for a comparatively higher maintenance cost (by about 25%), this is one VFM sedan with an excellent engine.

But for utter reliability, lowest cost of maintenance, village-level serviceability with a few rattles for free, go for the Swift VDi/LDi. Nothing beats a Maruti, despite the rattles. (For that matter, even Fords and Logans rattle.)
Old 5th February 2009, 00:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The other car I won is the Ikon. If the petrol version can be such an expensive car to maintain, I think the diesel should be no different.
Just how much have you spent on your Ikon till date? An approx figure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Getz is ahead of Swift in all departments except for the handling and driver's feel where Swift is undoubtedly the king and queen of its segment...
I am more than willing to sacrifice handling and driver's feel for the others. What is the mileage of your 2 Getz(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Discussions are on elsewhere in this forum about the new Ford Ikon Duratorq TDCi. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ochure-19.html. Except for a comparatively higher maintenance cost (by about 25%), this is one VFM sedan with an excellent engine.
If the maintenance is 25% higher than Swift/Getz and the car offers comfort/space/FE/reliability, then I will definitely keep it in the reckoning.
Old 5th February 2009, 00:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think you already know where my vote would go!

P.S. A close friend's Verna has done 65k kms+ without any issues at all.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
These are the requirements:
  1. Should be diesel as we plan to run it about 100 km per day.
  2. Should be maintenance free as much as possible.
  3. Should give very good mileage (15+ in city)
  4. Should be less than 6 lacs
  5. Dont want to get cars that have not been proven like the Indica Vista.
  6. Should have basic comforts like AC, P/W, P/S
  7. Should be able to seat 4 in reasonable comfort although this is not a must (too much to ask?)
  8. Should have decent resale value but we plant to keep it for 5 years so this is not very important.
Hello !

Based on each of your requirements, here is what i would suggest against each of your requirement :::
  • Should be diesel as we plan to run it about 100 km per day ::: Indica Vista or Palio, as they have the most comfortable supporting seats and driving position and for driving 100kms a day you would need the best driving seat.
  • Should be maintenance free as much as possible ::: I would add after sale service as well here, Maruti wins here ( there service network ), that is a SWIFT VDi.
  • Should give very good mileage (15+ in city) ::: Indica Vista or a Palio or a Swift, all will give you good FEs in city as well as on highway.
  • Should be less than 6 lacs ::: Again it has to be out of the three Indica Vista or a Palio or a Swift.
  • Dont want to get cars that have not been proven like the Indica Vista ::: Now you are just left with a Palio or a Swift
  • Should have basic comforts like AC, P/W, P/S ::: I didnt mentioned Getz CRDi anywhere because it wont have P/W, as well as the FE ( again considering that you would travel 100kms a day ) would be low as comapared to a Palio or a Swift, so therefore again a Palio or a Swift.
  • Should be able to seat 4 in reasonable comfort although this is not a must (too much to ask?) ::: For 4 it will be Swift, for a 5 it should be a Palio.
  • Should have decent resale value but we plant to keep it for 5 years so this is not very important ::: Again Swift wins here.
So all in all keeping your requirements in mind, its a lone battle between a Palio and a Swift.

The result of the battle, Swift wins the battle, Palio looses it on after sales service and on resale.

No offences meant to anybody on any of the above mentioned points.

EDIT : I voted for a Palio

Last edited by Bubby : 5th February 2009 at 10:35.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:43   #22
BHPian

OK, I'll check out the Palio too. What is the mileage I can expect with the Palio? Any issues you have faced with the car?
Old 5th February 2009, 10:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the mileage of your 2 Getz(s)?
If the maintenance is 25% higher than Swift/Getz and the car offers comfort/space/FE/reliability, then I will definitely keep it in the reckoning.
Hi Proxima, you seem to have voted Swift yourself in the poll above. Are we having an academic discussion here?
Anyway...
The Getz is not a car, it's a boy-racer's wildest dream come true. 100 km every day - would you drive yourself or have a chauffeur? I would never hand over such a powerful car as the Getz to ANY chauffeur.

To be chauffeur-driven, the Swift LDi is THE car - fix it anywhere and keep going, and in any case it doesn't break down. But if you're driving yourself, you can pick and choose after TD-ing all the cars discussed here.

As far as reliability and mileage goes in a Getz, it's brilliant - iraghava will vouch for me. Used and maintained properly, you'll find 100k km going by without feeling any pinch in your pocket. Remember, both Swift & Getz offer 4-year/80,000 km warranties. Take it.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 5th February 2009 at 11:07.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
50k+ apart from regular servicing.

It is asking for another 20k. But have fixed that problem with a jugaad outside the Ford showroon. Lets see if it works out !!

I must admit that the figure could have been lesser had I opted for extended warranty.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:09   #25
BHPian

I have voted for Swift, Ikon and Getz, mainly because I cannot see the graph if I don't vote. And I forgot to mention, if I am in the car, I drive. lol

Else, it will be my mother or sister. What mileage can I expect with the Getz?
Old 5th February 2009, 11:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
OK, I'll check out the Palio too. What is the mileage I can expect with the Palio? Any issues you have faced with the car?
My Palio MJD returns me an FE of 21.5kmpl ( 60% Expressway, 40% bumper to bumper ), i always use premium Diesel. On part of the expressway I alomost daily travel at constant speed of 120kmph for a stretch 8-10kms and car feels rock solid, my car has already done 5700kms in 2.5months, the build quality is exceptional, no rattles whatsoever as of now.

I havent faced any issues with the car yet, though i got the rubber upgraded from the stock ones to improve the braking and handeling a bit futher.

Last edited by Bubby : 5th February 2009 at 11:25.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if I am in the car, I drive. lol
Else, it will be my mother or sister. What mileage can I expect with the Getz?
A little better than a Verna, i.e. city 14-16 km/l; highways 20-22 km/l, with AC. That's of course with a light right foot. The Swift DDiS will do better than this by about 1.5-2 km/l.

Since you are based in Chennai, see if you can pull strings and get ABS installed by Hyundai as a special case. Getz petrols have ABS, no reason why Getz CRDi can't. The only excuse they might give you is that ABS is not homologated for Getz CRDi with ARAI etc. But this is India...

Perhaps some BHPian can help? If you do, please get me one with ABS too!
Old 5th February 2009, 11:33   #28
BHPian

Are you sure you can get a fiesta diesel under 6 lacs on road?
Forget the fiesta you might not even get the ikon diesel under 6 lacs

You might get the base version of logan diesel just within or above your budget.

Your best bet would be one the 3 MJD hatches
1) A rattling swift
2) A poor turning radius and expensive to maintain palio
3) Or the taxi image Vista

Take your pick!

Last edited by revhappy : 5th February 2009 at 11:40.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:09   #29
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Since you are upgrading from a Maruti, why don't you stick to a Maruti.
The VDI has very little negatives. I don't consider rattling a big issue. ICE is always there to cheer you up. My parents recently upgraded to VDI from Alto because they were so used to the A.S.S and the Alto experience that they were reluctant to consider any other brand.

Go for Palio MJD only if you are comfortable with their A.S.S. I'm sure you have heard a lot of stories about the famed FIAT A.S.S. While I agree it is true to an extent but it's not that bad, atleast in Bangalore. So get hold of a few Chennai MJD owners and consider their views. IMO, the car itself is great but after sales could be an issue.

AaH! one more issue is the spare parts. You need to wait quite a lot as the logistics of spare parts is not yet streamlined through TATA-FIAT venture.

If I were you, I would have gone for MJD just because of the fact that I have very good service centre close by and so far I never had a problem with my GTX serviced through them
Old 5th February 2009, 13:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
My Palio MJD returns me an FE of 21.5kmpl ( 60% Expressway, 40% bumper to bumper ), i always use premium Diesel. On part of the expressway I alomost daily travel at constant speed of 120kmph for a stretch 8-10kms and car feels rock solid, my car has already done 5700kms in 2.5months, the build quality is exceptional, no rattles whatsoever as of now.

I havent faced any issues with the car yet, though i got the rubber upgraded from the stock ones to improve the braking and handeling a bit futher.
That is good to hear. I will TD the Palio as well. Comes 35K cheaper than the Swift, enough for some alloys and better tyres if I go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A little better than a Verna, i.e. city 14-16 km/l; highways 20-22 km/l, with AC. That's of course with a light right foot. The Swift DDiS will do better than this by about 1.5-2 km/l.

Since you are based in Chennai, see if you can pull strings and get ABS installed by Hyundai as a special case. Getz petrols have ABS, no reason why Getz CRDi can't. The only excuse they might give you is that ABS is not homologated for Getz CRDi with ARAI etc. But this is India...

Perhaps some BHPian can help? If you do, please get me one with ABS too!
I will check if it can be done. How much will it cost even if it can be done? I will not hit insane speeds, it it a MUST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Are you sure you can get a fiesta diesel under 6 lacs on road?
Forget the fiesta you might not even get the ikon diesel under 6 lacs

You might get the base version of logan diesel just within or above your budget.

Your best bet would be one the 3 MJD hatches
1) A rattling swift
2) A poor turning radius and expensive to maintain palio
3) Or the taxi image Vista

Take your pick!
I meant Ikon. It is 5.95 on road here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Since you are upgrading from a Maruti, why don't you stick to a Maruti.
The VDI has very little negatives. I don't consider rattling a big issue. ICE is always there to cheer you up. My parents recently upgraded to VDI from Alto because they were so used to the A.S.S and the Alto experience that they were reluctant to consider any other brand.

Go for Palio MJD only if you are comfortable with their A.S.S. I'm sure you have heard a lot of stories about the famed FIAT A.S.S. While I agree it is true to an extent but it's not that bad, atleast in Bangalore. So get hold of a few Chennai MJD owners and consider their views. IMO, the car itself is great but after sales could be an issue.

AaH! one more issue is the spare parts. You need to wait quite a lot as the logistics of spare parts is not yet streamlined through TATA-FIAT venture.

If I were you, I would have gone for MJD just because of the fact that I have very good service centre close by and so far I never had a problem with my GTX serviced through them
i have a Safari as well, get it serviced outside though, not at TASS. i'll see if I can connect with any contacts in TATA-FIAT. Will talk to Nitrous anna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks