Getz 32 21.48%
Indica Vista 32 21.48%
Others 5 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 21:33   #1
BHPian

Need help choosing a diesel car with a 6 L budget

We have decided to replace our trusty 800.

These are the requirements:
  1. Should be diesel as we plan to run it about 100 km per day.
  2. Should be maintenance free as much as possible.
  3. Should give very good mileage (15+ in city)
  4. Should be less than 6 lacs
  5. Dont want to get cars that have not been proven like the Indica Vista.
  6. Should have basic comforts like AC, P/W, P/S
  7. Should be able to seat 4 in reasonable comfort although this is not a must (too much to ask?)
  8. Should have decent resale value but we plant to keep it for 5 years so this is not very important.
So here are the options:

Swift VDI @ 5.65L on road
Positives:
  1. Powerful
  2. Maintenance free
  3. Best resale among the list
  4. Good interiors and exteriors
  5. Good A.S.S.
Negatives:
  1. Not comfortable for rear passengers
  2. Bad ride
  3. Rattles?

iKON @ 5.95 on road
Positives:
  1. Sedan
  2. Comfortable
  3. Looks the best among the list?
  4. Good power
Negatives:
  1. Dated design and interiors
  2. ASS?
  3. Reliability?

Indigo CS LX @ 5.15 on road
Positives:
  1. Best space
  2. Good ride
  3. Cheapest among the list
Negatives:
  1. Quality?
  2. ASS?
  3. Panel gaps

Getz CRDI @ 6.05 on road
Positives:
  1. Power
  2. Ride
  3. Space
  4. Reliability?
Negatives:
  1. Most expensive among the list and still a hatch
  2. FE?
  3. ASS?

Palio SDX @ 5.3 on road
Positives:
  1. Ride
  2. Comfort
  3. Space
  4. Engine
  5. Looks
Negatives:
  1. ASS?
  2. Quality?
  3. Is resale pathetic?

So please help me decide. I will be going to TD all the cars this Saturday but I I should not decide on TDs alone. Should I consider Indica Vista? Is there any other car that I have left out?

I am thinking it should be either Getz or Fiesta but am completely open to suggestions.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th February 2009 at 18:12. Reason: as requested
Old 4th February 2009, 22:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

My first choice is Logan Diesel. It is best Diesel Car in 6 lacs budget. There is nothing wrong about this car. You will love every bit of this Sedan. Trust me.

Next choice is Palio Diesel. Best Diesel Hatch. You will love this too. Only limitation is its hatch so small boot.

Getz over priced, low rear seat, low FE. Its good car for person who love driving/racing.

Fiesta Not improved at all, they still loot money in service.

Indigo you might have to visit workshop every week.

Swift VDI don't have quality to run 100km a day. You will start crying within a month. you can see so many dislikes about this car by owner in every online forum.

Don't go by image, brand name factor. Think practically and choose between Logan and Palio. For your requirement 2 cars among the above will suit you.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 4th February 2009 at 22:06.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:09   #3
BHPian

Thanks Ravi. Surprised to hear that the Getz has a low (and uncomfortable?) rear seat. I thought it was the most spacious of the lot.

I'll look at Logan too, missed that one. But is it less than 6 on road?

EDIT: The DLX is 622936 ex showroom and will be over 7 on road.

Last edited by Proxima : 4th February 2009 at 22:13.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

Fiesta @ 5.95 on road
Positives:
  1. Sedan
  2. Comfortable
  3. Looks the best among the list?
  4. Good power
Negatives:
  1. Dated design and interiors
  2. ASS?
  3. Reliability?

Which version of Fiesta is this?? You didnt like Fiesta s interiors?? I personally think its quite good. A.S.S if Ford aint great , but yeah its better than before. Could you wait for a month or two?? Facelift Indigo around the corner.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getz CRDI @ 6.05 on road
Positives:
  1. Power
  2. Ride
  3. Space
  4. Reliability?
Negatives:
  1. Most expensive among the list and still a hatch
  2. FE?
  3. ASS?

I think u have got all mixed up.

Here's what i feel about Getz CRDi

Pros :
1. Mad engine
2. Space
3. Ride comfort
4. Road manners are similar to a sedan.
5. Doesn't rattle (Good fit and finish), good for ICE as well
6. Fantastic mile muncher

Cons :
1. Engine is too eager to catch up speed won't be fun in traffic.
2. Rear seat can be scary (I'm not kidding)
3. Brake feel is not great. Nose dip is prominent due to heavy front end.
4. ABS would have made it a dream car.
5. Future is uncertain & don't expect great resale value.

Last edited by kpzen : 4th February 2009 at 22:13.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Which version of Fiesta is this?? You didnt like Fiesta s interiors?? I personally think its quite good. A.S.S if Ford aint great , but yeah its better than before. Could you wait for a month or two?? Facelift Indigo around the corner.
Sorry, it should have read Ikon. New Indigo will not be reliable for the first 6 months being a TATA. So it is a 8 month wait which is too much I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I think u have got all mixed up.

Here's what i feel about Getz CRDi

Pros :
1. Mad engine
2. Space
3. Ride comfort
4. Road manners are similar to a sedan.
5. Doesn't rattle (Good fit and finish), good for ICE as well
6. Fantastic mile muncher

Cons :
1. Engine is too eager to catch up speed won't be fun in traffic.
2. Rear seat can be scary (I'm not kidding)
3. Brake feel is not great. Nose dip is prominent due to heavy front end.
4. ABS would have made it a dream car.
5. Future is uncertain & don't expect great resale value.
KPZEN, Thank you. I am leaning more towards the Getz now. Positives outweight the negatives, you should know being a double owner. How is the rear seat comfort? Please advice.

MODS can you please replace Fiesta with Ikon on the poll list as well as my first post? It will be very confusing otherwise.

Last edited by Proxima : 4th February 2009 at 22:26.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, its should have read Ikon.
Thought as much. Go for the Getz Crdi!!
Old 4th February 2009, 22:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Although Getz is one good car with good motor, I doubt the longevity of motor. I have heard of some issues with Verna also. Engine is not too eager to cross 70K kms. mark and need attention.

Also despite having a mad motor ( with that turbo log, its difficult to drive in city ) its not coming with ABS.

Swift IMHO, is the car I would go for if I were in you place. The rear seat is not that bad ( before people start screaming at me, I have travelled in that rear seat ). Yes its not that comfortable, but its not that horrible either as the general impression suggests. Its proven for reliability and A.S & S. FE is also given. Swift fits in all the requirements quoted by you.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Although Getz is one good car with good motor, I doubt the longevity of motor. I have heard of some issues with Verna also. Engine is not too eager to cross 70K kms. mark and need attention.

Also despite having a mad motor ( with that turbo log, its difficult to drive in city ) its not coming with ABS.

Swift IMHO, is the car I would go for if I were in you place. The rear seat is not that bad ( before people start screaming at me, I have travelled in that rear seat ). Yes its not that comfortable, but its not that horrible either as the general impression suggests. Its proven for reliability and A.S & S. FE is also given. Swift fits in all the requirements quoted by you.
Yeah, agreed that the Swift is the most reliable. Surprised to hear that the Getz/Verna engine has problems though.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Proxima:

I would vote for the Swift VDi, not because I am biased coz I own it but I own it coz I decided for it.

You are upgrading from a maruti 800. The rear seat of the Swift would feel like a sofa compared to 800. Trust me, the rear seat is not that bad. It is much better compared to a Santro / WagonR but less comfortable than the Getz.

I agree that the car does not have the best build quality and might rattle. But is this reason enough for you not go for the car ? It wasn't so in my case.

If at all you decide that the Swift is not the car for you, the second best choice would be Getz. Indigo is a Tata and Palio is a Fiat - reason enough for me not consider them.

The other car I won is the Ikon. If the petrol version can be such an expensive car to maintain, I think the diesel should be no different.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KPZEN, Thank you. I am leaning more towards the Getz now. Positives outweight the negatives, you should know being a double owner. How is the rear seat comfort? Please advice.
Rear seats are comfortable and can accomodate 3 adults easily.
Buttttttt every time the car hits 2k rpm the rear passenger will feel as if they are sitting in an aircraft which is ready to take off. Can be scary/annoying to some especially old people or some non-auto enthusiasts.
Quote:
Tell me one diesel motor of which u haven't heard a single problem about.
Swift D, Verna, Fiesta, Accent, Safari...the list goes on. Almost all of them have a lemon case here or there...
Quote:
With due respect, Have u driven a Getz CRDi?
Its not the turbo lag instead its the monsterous low end torque along with the ECM setting which makes it so eager that the moment u leave the clutch it starts running of...Can be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic !!
Old 4th February 2009, 23:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Would vote for a Swift VDI.Same transition my friend i have been through.A maruti 800 to a Swift diesel and as Eddy said, after the 800 you will find the swifts rear seat like a sofa.Trust me on this, its not at all bad.

Rattles yes, but not something a good music system and a good service station cant fix.I got dickey rattle the very first day i got my swift and it was promptly fixed by my service station.

Go for the VDI enjoy the turbo kick and the mileage along with the brilliant handling.You will love it.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Tell me one diesel motor of which u haven't heard a single problem about.
Swift D, Verna, Fiesta, Accent, Safari...the list goes on. Almost all of them have a lemon case here or there...

With due respect, Have u driven a Getz CRDi?
Its not the turbo lag instead its the monsterous low end torque along with the ECM setting which makes it so eager that the moment u leave the clutch it starts running of...Can be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic !!

May be one lemon case, but 50K and the engine needs attention ( met this guy at Marble Arch complex Vadodara ) and some from my uncle's friends from Saurashtra are having problem with Verna diesel.

Oh yes! Not controllable, I thought it to be turbo lag ( which the VGT is suppossed to reduce ), but really it was tough and gave back the steering wheel for city for that time being. Its just too much more than required and something one wont enjoy this in bumper-to-bumper traffic after a long day at office. Good ocassionally, but this car is not practical choice IMO.
On highways, I think that Getz Chassis is more stable and capable of handling the power of that crdi motor than Verna, but ABS is required and a necessacity rather than luxury.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:09   #14
BHPian

So it looks like a toss up between the Swift and Getz. Getz looks impressive from kpzen's comments.

From the impression I get, Getz seems to be Swift + extra space, power and comfort, maybe - handling. So if Getz is as reliable as Swift, I would not mind paying the 40K extra to get the Getz.

I soooo badly want to feel the turbo kick in every time. lol
Old 4th February 2009, 23:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

Come to think of it, I rally cannot pinpoint any shortcoming in the Getz CRDi except that its slightly costly. If you can afford it, and you love raw power it should serve you well.

Of course, this is assuming that there is not problem with the engine in the long run, I have not heard of any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks