Palio 27 18.12%
Getz 32 21.48%
Indica Vista 32 21.48%
Others 5 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 00:31   #46
BHPian

Here's how I see it. Most of your requirements seemed to be practical and gentle and then suddenly the power monster got hold of you!
If you're the only guy driving, the Getz will make you very happy (also very scared unless you get better tires). In your mother's case, I'd only say scared and a pain in city traffic.
Here's what I would do:
Get the Swift VDI
Upgrade to bigger tires and alloys
Damp the doors and boot to take care of rattling (Will also make the ICE sound sweeter)
Put in a Pete's box.
So you have comfort, reliability, peppiness, ease of driving, handling and better resale value!

Last edited by vikram18 : 6th February 2009 at 00:47.
Old 6th February 2009, 00:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift overtook Getz

The poll result is starting to say it all. Sanity prevails. The Swift is gradually edging ahead of the Getz. Except, the column for the Ikon TDCi has appeared in place of the Fiesta. Dark horse?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th February 2009 at 00:43.
Old 6th February 2009, 11:00   #48
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...update-41.html

The Getz seems to have suspension issues! Although it looks like the service is good, what is the point if the keep replacing the suspension with the original ones, from what I hear, it looks like the Getz is not designed to take on the extra load of the CRDi motor. If this is true and serious, then I need to reconsider my inclination towards the Getz. :-(

Here as well: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-problem.html

Last edited by Proxima : 6th February 2009 at 11:02.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:53   #49
BHPian

Guys, does the Getz has suspension issues? Please advice.
Old 6th February 2009, 17:02   #50
BANNED

My vote goes to the new Indica Vista.

The Vista is the best in class you can find in the market today, the swift seems to be ageing of late.

Getz is great with the superb engine, but you wont know, when will the present model be replaced.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:16   #51
BHPian

my take on Swift Rattlings

I purchased a Swift Diesel on Dec 19- its been 49 days and I have clocked 7000KM that averages to 140 KM/ Day. Trust me- there are no rattles; it probably depends on how you treat the car initially. Here are a few things I think lead to rattling.

1. Regular dismantling of interiors- Eg dashboard/gear console/seats (to install accessories); I think we should avoid this; this may affect the company fit if you tend do so. I suggest to avoid making any changes to your car for the first 6 months.

2. Driving fast on bad roads- It is a common assumption that you wont feel the humps if you go fast on bad roads; in some cases it may be true but you will know only when you hit the humps. There is no harm in reducing your speed if you see bad roads!!!

3.Correct Tyre pressure- Though its your take on whether you want stick to recommendations; my suggestion would be to get a feel of a regular road on the prescribed tyre pressure to determine if you actually need so much; keeping it a psi lower in city limits surely helps in reducing rattles. On highways make sure you keep the correct tyre pressure.

This car is a beauty- the only con I had was with the tyres and I changes them after the first 1000KM (195/60 R15) with HR alloys; there is no change in the pick up/FE and ride quality infact maybe its better with bigger tyres (Michellin).

My take on GETZ CRDI- I almost booked a Getz CRDI; It could have been a great car and maybe I would have enjoyed it more than the Swift- my freind has a Getz petrol and it is a good car; very roomy and a low rider but the thought of i20 fazing it out soon disturbed me. I felt the engine was obviously meant for a sedan which concludes to it being a heavier one which may lead to uncertanities in performance (maybe); and it is priced very high compared to the other cars in the same segment. With new models coming in you will soon realize the Getz is a previous generation car; the feeling may suck!

My take on Palio- I test drove a Palio MultiJet- I agree with most of the review; it is indeed feels like a tank; feels tough/powerful; but looks like a cheap car- the new face lift did not come off as a good one; I love the look of the previous Palio would have surely picked it up if they had continued with the previous design- but trust me it is not an eye catcher even if you do the jigs with the looks; but hats off to Fiat- the MultiJet is a killer engine.

My take on the Ford TDCI- The outlook itself is a turn off; if I'm not wrong most of us would like to just stand and admire our cars; I feel you will be dissapointed if you end up buying one and want to admire it. It is an age old design; just for the sake of a boot you may end up compromising on some finer aspects like the looks of the car and sad interiors.

My take on the Logan- Man... come on its a synonim to a Taxi- isn't it? Maybe its spacious maybe its a sedan but you have to understand the manufacturer will make you pay in other aspects if he is willing to sell you a sedan at the cost of a hatchback and I think the compromise will be with the peppiness in the engine- Logan owners- please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Take is go for a Swift Diesel- If 6 is your budget go for the LDI; thats what I did- I spent 60K more on ICE and Wheels; the only thing I regret is not having central key locking. The interior of a LDI is much better than the other variants; it is grey all over (unlike patches of silver in the other variants) this gives an awesome look and feel. The gear knob is full black (unlike a silver finish the other variants have) this looks too good. Power windows would have been great but I dont miss them as my previous car also did not have PW.

All the best!
Old 6th February 2009, 19:38   #52
BHPian

Agreed with everything. Except the fact that the Getz is overpriced. It is much bigger than Swift, with a bigger engine. It is 40k more than the VDI. Safe feature set as the Swift.

They may not discontinue the Getz, the Gets P and the i20 P exist side by side. So the Getz D may coexist with the i20 D.
Old 6th February 2009, 20:10   #53
BHPian

I didn't say it is overpriced- I meant to say c[FONT=Tahoma]omparitvely it is a pricey car. You will need to upgrade the wheels and add ICE as well; this will be a easy 60K that makes it close to 7L. I plan to sell my car in three years; Swift will surely look a lil outdated car by then- but will still sell.[/FONT]
Old 6th February 2009, 21:20   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, does the Getz has suspension issues? Please advice.
The Getz doesn't have any extra suspension issues that the other cars don't have. A somewhat heavier engine and the tendency to drive it much harder than another similar car does take its toll on the bushes, and squeaks and rattles do crop up a little early. But Hyundai's service is good, and their Company service outlets at Chennai and Delhi don't penny-pinch when it comes to replacing parts under warranty. And with a 60k km warranty (IIRC the fine print says the suspension warranty extends to 60k km only, even though you buy 80k km warranty), you have nothing to worry about.

Even my Swift ZXi suspension has started to rattle at 30k km. Will have it attended to at the next service. But Maruti dealers tend to be a little stingy about replacing parts under warranty, though Maruti's own Service Masters stations in Delhi are not.

Your being based in Chennai gives you a distinct advantage in being able to directly access the Co.-operated service centre as opposed to a dealer's service - the technicians are better, and despite any other problems at Hyundai, they do respond quickly and competently if you complain to their CR dept (cr@hmil.net).
Old 6th February 2009, 22:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The poll result is starting to say it all. Sanity prevails. The Swift is gradually edging ahead of the Getz. Except, the column for the Ikon TDCi has appeared in place of the Fiesta. Dark horse?
Fiesta was a typo. It has now been fixed by a mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Getz doesn't have any extra suspension issues that the other cars don't have. A somewhat heavier engine and the tendency to drive it much harder than another similar car does take its toll on the bushes, and squeaks and rattles do crop up a little early. But Hyundai's service is good, and their Company service outlets at Chennai and Delhi don't penny-pinch when it comes to replacing parts under warranty. And with a 60k km warranty (IIRC the fine print says the suspension warranty extends to 60k km only, even though you buy 80k km warranty), you have nothing to worry about.

Even my Swift ZXi suspension has started to rattle at 30k km. Will have it attended to at the next service. But Maruti dealers tend to be a little stingy about replacing parts under warranty, though Maruti's own Service Masters stations in Delhi are not.

Your being based in Chennai gives you a distinct advantage in being able to directly access the Co.-operated service centre as opposed to a dealer's service - the technicians are better, and despite any other problems at Hyundai, they do respond quickly and competently if you complain to their CR dept (cr@hmil.net).
It is very heartening to hear that the Hyundai service is good. That is indeed a place where Hyundai seems to be ahead of Ford. Looks like a close fight between the Ikon and the Getz for me.

Tomorrow is D-Day, i'll be TDing the Ikon and the Getz first. May the best car win, rather be bought.
Old 6th February 2009, 22:23   #56
BHPian

If you already have a hatch, go for the Ikon, otherwise you would still be drooling over a Sedan.

If its between the Swift vs Getz, would suggest the SWIFT if you live within the city and drive in chennai traffic. If it's OMR or ECR go for the GETZ.
Old 7th February 2009, 11:40   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Fiesta was a typo. It has now been fixed by a mod.
i'll be TDing the Ikon and the Getz first. May the best car win, rather be bought.
Realised "Fiesta" was a typo for "Ikon", and that's why it's starting to get the votes after the correction.

Wishing you all the fun during your TDs.
Old 7th February 2009, 12:13   #58
BHPian

I think the Swift VDi fits the bill perfectly. Moreover since your budget is 6 lakhs, as others have said you can get better tyres and alloys.
Old 7th February 2009, 18:27   #59
BHPian

1. You want diesel car for long drives carrying four persons. Wont a sedan carry luggage also comfortably??? Ikon is bound to give good mileage with that 1.4 tdci. IT also has good back seat for adults (unlike say swift)

2. You want a petrol sedan like used Baleno?? Since you would be using diesel car for long drives, petrol is obviously for city run abouts. So doesn't hatch make a better sense??? say palio 1.6L

My choice would be Ikon diesel. Sedan with good back seat and enough space. (although initially voted for Getz without knowing your complete requirements)
Old 7th February 2009, 20:45   #60
BHPian

Thank you all for your ideas. We went for a TD of the Getz and the Ikon. The Getz although very powerful has really poor interiors and lesser space than the Ikon, it looks much worse per mom and sis. The balance seems to have tilted towards the Ikon which is very easy to drive, good low end torque and sufficient power for a 1 ton car.

We are almost sold on a white Ikon.

A couple of questions:
Is a tyre upgrade really required? I do not want to deviate from the stock size. How much will better brands like Bridgestone or Michelins cost for a set of 4 in exchange for the Goodyears?
How much will 4 reasonable alloys cost, in exchange for the steel rims?

I would like to retain the stepney as-is and rotate the 4 new tyres around.

I know these are vague questions but will appreciate your insight.

PS: We saw the i20, man, what a car, looks fabulous. Would have bought the i20 CDRi if it was there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks