Palio 27 18.12%
Getz 32 21.48%
Indica Vista 32 21.48%
Others 5 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 13:39   #31
BHPian

The Getz has the best tyres among the list - 175/65 R14. Does this need to be changed for normal driving?
Ikon has 175/70 R13, as wide as the Getz, does this need to be replaced as well?
The Swift has skinny tyres - 165/80 R14, me thinks this needs to be replaced with the ZXI's tyre size.
The Palio's tyres are skinny as well at 165 / 80 R13, surprising! But because this is cheaper than the others, will have money to replace them.

The tossup seems to be between the Getz, Ikon and Palio.

What brands are the tyres in each case? Could not figure that out from the specs.

Last edited by Proxima : 5th February 2009 at 13:44.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
The Palio's tyres are skinny as well at 165 / 80 R13, surprising! But because this is cheaper than the others, will have money to replace them.

What brands are the tyres in each case? Could not figure that out from the specs.
The make is GOODYEAR for the Palio stock ones.

EDIT ::: Pardon my ignorance but if i remember correctly GETZ CRDi comes with tube tyres

Last edited by Bubby : 5th February 2009 at 14:02.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:13   #33
BHPian

Get the Getz man. Saying no to the Getz because it lacks ABS is like rejecting Cindy Crawford because she has a mole.

Check out the classifieds section. I think i saw a GETZ crdi there.

Happy Hunting!
Old 5th February 2009, 16:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
The make is GOODYEAR for the Palio stock ones.

EDIT ::: Pardon my ignorance but if i remember correctly GETZ CRDi comes with tube tyres
That's news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Get the Getz man. Saying no to the Getz because it lacks ABS is like rejecting Cindy Crawford because she has a mole.

Check out the classifieds section. I think i saw a GETZ crdi there.

Happy Hunting!
Not considering used cars now. And good analogy there.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Ikon-TDCi (mentioned wrongly in your post and poll as the Fiesta), reasons being :

1) It is not just you that is going to use the car, but also your Mom & sis. Unless they are real performance enthusiasts, not only is the mad power of the Getz wasted on them, but it could even be a problem for them while driving in city traffic, like kpzen mentioned.

2) While the Swift-D looks like a good option, apart from the other reasons you mentioned, the car is kinda claustrophobic with rear visibility quite bad. This again can be a problem for the ladies (and even for you) while driving in general and in reversing specifically. I speak from experience, though of the petrol variety.

Plus the Ikon has a boot, which might be useful. Only area of concern seems to be the costly Ford A.S.S.

P.S. : BTW, I thought you were planning to sell the Safari (and not the M800) and get a replacement for that, if I remember correctly from some other thread.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Proxima

Tires : The stock tires on Getz are tubeless and pathetic goodyears. Very risky to drive with them especially with such an insane engine. I drove it for around 300kms and it was dead scary. Tires should be upgraded right away..

FE : Depends on where u are gonna drive mostly.
My Getz on an average gives 15~16kmpl (mostly driven on expressway)
Cousin's getz gives 14kmpl in Delhi traffic.

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 17:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I voted for the Ikon-TDCi (mentioned wrongly in your post and poll as the Fiesta), reasons being :

1) It is not just you that is going to use the car, but also your Mom & sis. Unless they are real performance enthusiasts, not only is the mad power of the Getz wasted on them, but it could even be a problem for them while driving in city traffic, like kpzen mentioned.

2) While the Swift-D looks like a good option, apart from the other reasons you mentioned, the car is kinda claustrophobic with rear visibility quite bad. This again can be a problem for the ladies (and even for you) while driving in general and in reversing specifically. I speak from experience, though of the petrol variety.

Plus the Ikon has a boot, which might be useful. Only area of concern seems to be the costly Ford A.S.S.

P.S. : BTW, I thought you were planning to sell the Safari (and not the M800) and get a replacement for that, if I remember correctly from some other thread.
LOL. We plant to sell the Safari and get a sedan as well. But that will follow this exchange. We basically want to have 2 cars that can be driven by all 4 of us, one petrol and one diesel for long drives with high mileage. Want to get a used Baleno after selling the Safari later. But first this.

Yeah the Ikon is impressive from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Proxima

Tires : The stock tires on Getz are tubeless and pathetic goodyears. Very risky to drive with them especially with such an insane engine. I drove it for around 300kms and it was dead scary. Tires should be upgraded right away..

FE : Depends on where u are gonna drive mostly.
My Getz on an average gives 15~16kmpl (mostly driven on expressway)
Cousin's getz gives 14kmpl in Delhi traffic.
Ooops, tire change needed here as well. How much will they cost? Dont want ultra-high performance ones but certainly want SAFE and reliable ones.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:19   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will check if it can be done. How much will it cost even if it can be done? I will not hit insane speeds, it it a MUST?
ABS on Getz should cost an extra 25K (same as for the petrol). Has to be factory-fitted. Change of tyres can be done at a later stage, anytime. ABS is not a MUST, but Cindy Crawford loses her charm without her mole.

Proxima, you seem highly inclined towards a Getz CRDi. Go for it. You must've loved the TD. The engine is going to last at least 200k km. Hyundai guarantees unlimited km on the same engine in the US and elsewhere. And service & repairs for Hyundai are as easy as for Maruti, in a metro like Chennai. At least for a few years in your life, before midlife crisis catches up with you, drive the hottest hatch in the country. Take on the biggies, even the Porsches, and get them to eat dust. 100 km a day, day in and day out, means you'll fight a lot of traffic. But in a Getz? - you certainly will!!! Nothing else will come remotely close to making you grin from ear to ear everyday for 6L. You bet it'll be worth it.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

i would choose Indica Vista anyday and spend the rest of money in getting better rubber and accessories/mods.

it drives well,handles well and oodles of space .
Old 5th February 2009, 18:45   #40
BHPian

After going through the same discussions and pains I have got a Indica Vista. Upgraded thr rubbers to 195/60/R14 . Cannot be more happy. Dont know what your priorities are . But if you want a neat car with good FE, oodles of space and a new design ( Dont kiil me now ), go for vista. Yes it will have small issues( I dont have much) but its a real value for money car.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:52   #41
BHPian

And Indica Vista also comes with 172/65/R14 Good Year GT3. Dont know how these tyres are as I changed it on the first day. Actually in a few hourse to Michellin XM1+
Old 5th February 2009, 22:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
ABS on Getz should cost an extra 25K (same as for the petrol). Has to be factory-fitted. Change of tyres can be done at a later stage, anytime. ABS is not a MUST, but Cindy Crawford loses her charm without her mole.

Proxima, you seem highly inclined towards a Getz CRDi. Go for it. You must've loved the TD. The engine is going to last at least 200k km. Hyundai guarantees unlimited km on the same engine in the US and elsewhere. And service & repairs for Hyundai are as easy as for Maruti, in a metro like Chennai. At least for a few years in your life, before midlife crisis catches up with you, drive the hottest hatch in the country. Take on the biggies, even the Porsches, and get them to eat dust. 100 km a day, day in and day out, means you'll fight a lot of traffic. But in a Getz? - you certainly will!!! Nothing else will come remotely close to making you grin from ear to ear everyday for 6L. You bet it'll be worth it.
Wow, that's some sales pitch SS-Traveller. I have not driven it yet, I felt the Swift was powerful, I know the Getz will blow me away. If the rear seats are comfortable, then it seals the deal for me if I am able to convince my folks that we do not need a sedan because we already has a Safari. Mind says Ikon, heart and adrenaline says Getz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
i would choose Indica Vista anyday and spend the rest of money in getting better rubber and accessories/mods.

it drives well,handles well and oodles of space .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
After going through the same discussions and pains I have got a Indica Vista. Upgraded thr rubbers to 195/60/R14 . Cannot be more happy. Dont know what your priorities are . But if you want a neat car with good FE, oodles of space and a new design ( Dont kiil me now ), go for vista. Yes it will have small issues( I dont have much) but its a real value for money car.
Space yes, but I am not sure about the quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
And Indica Vista also comes with 172/65/R14 Good Year GT3. Dont know how these tyres are as I changed it on the first day. Actually in a few hourse to Michellin XM1+
Guess whatever car I go for, I need to replace the tires. Damn.
Old 5th February 2009, 23:03   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that's some sales pitch SS-Traveller. ...heart and adrenaline says Getz.
No sales pitch, that. Experience teaches one to understand the other person's preferences, and you owned up to it too!! Please remember my vote in your case goes to a Swift VDi ABS (but I'd have liked a ZDi with airbags, alloys, rear wash-wipe and climate control, which MUL don't make - so I have a ZXi instead). The write-up was the inner feeling of a 40+ guy who's exchanged the carefree days of his youth for a 16-hour work schedule, whose choice of car is dictated more by comfort than raw power (and his family's opinion), and whose work schedule does require him to drive 140 km each day. When fast driving was fun, I couldn't afford (and India didn't have) Getz CRDi's. When I CAN afford three, obviously my wife would prefer one Accord. So don't miss out on your chance to grin everyday when you can.

As of now, I am in the middle of a car buying debate myself. My one dream was to explore Leh-Ladakh-Lahaul-Spiti and beyond, and I want a VFM easy-to-fix 4x4. The Gypsy doesn't have that kind of comfort, so it's out. My wife is trying to convince me to buy a Xylo, and I want a Scorp. We're both stuck as of now, because Xylo doesn't come with mHawk and VLX specs (yet), and Scorp VLX doesn't come with 4x4 (yet). That's what a midlife crisis is all about!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 5th February 2009 at 23:09.
Old 5th February 2009, 23:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
No, she comes with Tubeless tyres.

Quote:
Fantastic analogy!
Old 6th February 2009, 00:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Haven't voted yet, but here's my take on this...

One car to be driven by four different people. Unless they are all performance-oriented drivers (with equally good driving skills), then I can see the Getz CRDi as the logical choice.

However, the Ikon TDCi makes a strong case for itself. Lovely backseat and the most driveable engine in the city amongst all of these. The Duratorq is an absolute delight in the city with least turbo lag and a good cruiser.

If performance and the boot are not major criteria, then one can go for the Swift Diesel.

I can see a lot of people recommending the Getz CRDi, and I would have bought it If I was the only driver. But do ask the other people.

Tackling a torque monster diesel with precise clutch manipulation in bumper-to-bumper traffic is not everybody's idea of fun!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks