Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 11:16   #1156
BANNED

Sriku: Congrats and welcome to Fiat family!

BTW did you book a Punto or a Linea?!

I have noticed all Fiatians using the common word "Fiat" for all models of Fiat! Thats the power of FIAT i guess.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:41   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Sriku: Congrats and welcome to Fiat family!

BTW did you book a Punto or a Linea?!

I have noticed all Fiatians using the common word "Fiat" for all models of Fiat! Thats the power of FIAT i guess.
I booked a punto.. Fiat spoils us, with creature comforts for the money we pay which is why "FIAT" means everything I guess..

by the way . for others who are worried abt the A** .. i bought the adventure just before it was stopped and drove it for about 3.5 years.. with the punto .. every 15 K service.. ie once in a year... ha ha ha.. i dont mind standing next to my car the whole day when it gets serviced.. i have an investment to save..
Old 28th October 2010, 11:18   #1158

The Lady in Red!!!

I know that this is seriously late as I booked on the 17th of September and am expecting the delivery to be this weekend, but just got to see this thread. So here it goes...

Make : Honda
Model : City
Variant : V AT Exclusive
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 17th September
Color : Habanero Red
Expected Delivery Date : 30th October
Dealer & City : Shine Honda, Pondicherry
Freebies : Honda Free Insurance, Car Pillows, Neck Rest & Car Cover
Others : Got a free reverse parking camera with my GPS from Mapmyindia.com
Old 29th October 2010, 15:35   #1159
BHPian

Congrats Rudradeep on your new ride. I have booked a ANHC as well ( VAT ) in Urban Titanium Metallic. Should be getting it in a week or so.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:30   #1160
BHPian

Make : Honda
Model : Honda City
Variant : V A/T
Booking Date : 30th October 2010
Color : Tafetta White
Expected Delivery Date : 4th November
Dealer & City : Olympia Honda, Ambattur, Chennai
Freebies : Additional 5K Cash Discount on top of loyalty bonus and free insurance
Old 1st November 2010, 13:45   #1161
BHPian

(Posting on behalf of a friend for others to know the discount levels and offers)

Model : Fiat Punto
Variant : Emotion
Booking Date : 30th October 2010
Color : Red
Expected Delivery Date : 3rd November
Dealer & City : Sai Om Motors, Kandivali (W) Mumbai
Freebies : On road price 6L, and 23K more for 4 Xplod speakers, JBL aplifier and subwoofer, parking sensors, anti-rust coating and seat covers.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:09   #1162

Make : Chevrolet
Model : Optra
Variant : Magnum LS
Fuel : Diesel
Booking Date : 28 Oct 2010
Color : Sanddrift Grey
Expected Delivery Date : 03 Nov 2010
Dealer & City : Dynamic Motors, Ambala
Freebies : Mats and mud flaps
Others : Rs 25000 dealer discount

My Hyundai Accent (2001) was nearing her 10th birthday and the wife decided that it was time to change cars. Though the Accent had only 55000 on the odo, had been completely problem free, and meticulously maintained, I reluctantly agreed to retire her. The following is a brief chronicle of how I finally ended up booking a Chevrolet Optra Magnum as a replacement.

I needed a car that would be used largely for city driving (Delhi) involving a work commute of about 30 Km, some pleasure driving on weekends, and occasional (twice / thrice a year) holidays trips (Averaging an estimated 1200 – 1300 Km per month). Most of the time the car would have one (me) or two occupants (Self and wife) but on occasion would have to ferry visiting family and friends. Fairly simple requirements that could be met by several hatchbacks / sedans that are currently available. But life is never simple. To the list of requirements I added fuel economy, adequate comfort features, good after sales service, and proper safety features. The better half had two more additions: the car should be an upgrade on the Accent and have some “snob value”. Difficult to meet all these conditions with a budget of about Rs 7.5 lakhs (I would be buying the car through the Army CSD canteen so the budget would be equivalent to about Rs 8.00 lakhs for a market purchase).

I read a number of reviews, trolled through Team BHP forums, spoke with :knowledgeable people” and narrowed down my list to three options. The ANHC, SX4 (Zxi), and Hyundai Verna (Petrol or CRDi). Since I had never driven any of these cars, I went to their respective websites to request for a test drive.

Honda had the promptest response. I got an email acknowledgement of my request almost immediately followed by a phone call the next day. I then got a call from “:Southend Honda” in Delhi who agreed to test drive at my convenience the next day. They sent the car to my residence absolutely on the appointed hour (ANHC V MT) with a driver and a sales representative (Varun). The sales rep was well informed and courteous and made the test drive a pleasure. He was in no hurry and explained all the features of the car. He had also brought along brochures and price lists for me and gave me a token gift (pen) for the test drive. The test drive was followed by phonecalls requesting my decision on the purchase. The calls from Varun were unfailingly polite, never hankering, and informative (free insurance offer from Honda during Oct 10). Full marks to Honda for this entire experience. However, I decided not to buy the car simply because it appeared overpriced for the features offered and other cars very more value for money (I might regret this later).

Hyundai were the next to respond. No email acknowledgement but a phone call the next day seeking my exact location so that the appropriate dealer could be informed about my request. The dealer called a day later. He informed that the Verna petrol was not available for the test drive but the diesel was. He was reluctant to send the car to my house for the test drive and wanted me to come to the dealership. On my refusal to do so, the test drive was fixed for the following Saturday and did not take place because the car was never sent. This was followed by calls from another dealer who was always unsure of the car I wanted to test drive (He always thought that I wanted the i10). He fixed the test drive on two occasions and did not reach at for the test drive on both of them. Even though both my current cars are Hyundai (Accent and i10) and I am very happy with the cars, I was sorely disappointed with the Hyundai response to my test drive request. I eventually drove my neighbours Verna CRDi. Really liked the car (my first diesel drive), but am not acquiring it for the same reason as the ANHC (Appears overpriced).

Maruti never responded to my test drive request. No email, no phone call, nothing. So i went myself to their dealer (Rana Motors). The sales rep was courteous and well informed. I was shown the SX4 (ZXi). However, only the AT version was available for test drive. Since I was looking for a MT, I was promised that the car would be sent to my house the following Saturday. Sine I mentioned an interest in diesel cars, they promised to also send a Swift Dzire (ZDi) for me to try out. Sadly the promises remained only promises and the test drives never materialised. After three appointments they eventually expressed their inability to organise the test drive.

On 19th Oct, there was a full page advertisement in TOI new Delhi about the Optra Magnum LS at Rs 8.09 Lakhs. I had not considered the Optra earlier as it was way over my budget. Following the large price drop, I went to Metro Chevrolet to see the car. Again a good experience at the dealership. I had called in advance about my desire to see the Optra. The sales rep was ready at the appointed time. I was shown the car immediately (It was the LT version) and all the features explained. Even though it was late evening (Past 7 pm), I was offered an immediate test drive (wasn’t expecting one). Took a short drive in a fairly crowded area. Immediately liked the drive. The sales rep intelligently asked us to also experience the rear seat as he gave us a chauffeured test drive. The spacious, comfortable rear seat and the luxurious interiors immediately won the wife’s approval. The Optra Magnum LS appeared to be within reach by stretching my budget somewhat (Rs 8.6 lakh on road with Haryana registration). The car price appeared to be even lower than the Army CSD Canteen price.

Came back home and spent the next couple of hours reading everything that Team BHP had on the Chevrolet Optra Magnum. Overall, the views were positive. Having mulled over what car to buy for almost a month, I could suddenly wait no longer and decided to pay the booking amount the next day.

Luckily, better sense prevailed. As advised by Team BHP members, checked the CSD prices again and found that they too had dropped. At CSD rates, the Optra LS would be around Rs 8.25 Lakh on road (Haryana registration). This is considerably above the planned budget of Rs 7.5 lakhs, but have decided to go in for it. The choice is eventually a combination of both dispassionate (Brain) analysis as well as what the heart says. Paid the booking amount of Rs 10,000.

I need advise on a specific point. The Chevrolet free maintenance package ( 3 years / 45000 Km) is not available for the Optra Magnum. I will have to pays Rs 27000 for this. The option has to be exercised at the time of taking delivery and cannot be delayed. I need to know whether I should go in for this option.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:23   #1163
BHPian

Magnum LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banarsi View Post
Make : Chevrolet
Model : Optra
Variant : Magnum LS
Booking Date : 28 Oct 2010
Color : Sanddrift Grey
Expected Delivery Date : 03 Nov 2010
Dealer & City : Dynamic Motors, Ambala
Freebies : Mats and mud flaps
Others : Rs 25000 dealer discount

Congrats on your booking the Magnum LS Banarsi !
One question : Did the dealer give you further discount of 25k on the 8.09 L ? Other dealers are infact asking for extra's like logistics etc. Did you agree to pay for these too ?
Old 1st November 2010, 17:29   #1164

@ Abhas

The 25,000 discount was on the Canteen Stores Department Ambala price of Rs 7,73,077 for the LS. Delhi dealers are offering a Rs 30,000 dealer discount on the Ex showroom price of Rs 8,39,000 which makes it effectively Rs 8,09,000. There are no further discounts on that. Everything else has to be paid for. The only freebies are mats and mudflaps.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:58   #1165

Make : Skoda
Model : Laura
Variant : TSI
Booking Date : 31/10/2010
Color : Magic Black
Expected Delivery Date : 10/11/2010
Dealer & City : Autobahn, Mumbai
Freebies : Door Seal SS strips, mudflaps, mirror locks, mats, Teflon
Others : Rs75000 (including Rs25000 corporate discount) cash discount, 14000 discount on Rs93K worth accessories

Getting from Autobahn: Stanley satin leather upholstery (Rs 48k), Xenon Lamps(Rs18k), stainless steel exhaust tip (Rs6k), wooden inserts (Rs13K), Llumar Sunfilm (Rs 9.7K excluding WS). Do let me know if these prices look alright- or after market makes more sense.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:22   #1166
BHPian

@ Banarsi - I would advise you to go for the maint package. It should work out cheaper and hassle free in the long run.
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:09   #1167

@ Safedrive

Thanks. I shall go for for the package. I am not sure how the insurance and the maintenance package work together. Collecting the car tomorrow.

regards
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:16   #1168
BHPian

Booked Punto MJD Emotion

Make : Fiat
Model : Grande Punto
Booking Date : 2nd November, 2010
Color : Bossa Nova White
Expected Delivery Date : 8th November, 2010
Dealer & City : Concorde Motors, Chennai
Freebies : Free Insurance + Corporate Discount
Others : Mats + Mudflaps + Sunfilm + Body Cover (TBC)

I have been allotted a June 2010 manufactured vehicle. The sales guy said that a Oct 2010 vehicle is on its way and it might take 5-6 days. I am in a bit of a hurry and told him I will take the June 2010 vehicle.

I would like to know whether it will make any difference to buy a June 2010 vehicle instead of a Oct 2010 one.
I need your inputs quickly as the vehicle is to be registered tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:26   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
Make : Fiat
Model : Grande Punto
Booking Date : 2nd November, 2010
Color : Bossa Nova White
Expected Delivery Date : 8th November, 2010
Dealer & City : Concorde Motors, Chennai
Freebies : Free Insurance + Corporate Discount
Others : Mats + Mudflaps + Sunfilm + Body Cover (TBC)

I have been allotted a June 2010 manufactured vehicle. The sales guy said that a Oct 2010 vehicle is on its way and it might take 5-6 days. I am in a bit of a hurry and told him I will take the June 2010 vehicle.

I would like to know whether it will make any difference to buy a June 2010 vehicle instead of a Oct 2010 one.
I need your inputs quickly as the vehicle is to be registered tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.
Have you done PDI to your satisfaction and sure of the car?
Where was it stored all these days? If it is open storage, please reconsider.
Chennai has had unusual rains for the last 4 to 5 months.
What is the mileage on the Odometer and does it look genuine?
Any suspicious works on the body?
What is the reason given for such long storage?
Waiting for next week should be OK as already the Diwali holiday spirit has set in and has slowed down the normal work process in almost all organizations.

HC
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:30   #1170
BANNED

Praz: Please consider buying a newer car. June manufactured car is four months old! I fear the conditions in which the car was kept tis long. So please!

Most Viewed