Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 23:36   #12181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
True. But the buffer sucks in RAW, even with a ExtremePro card.

With the D800e the cost of reach goes up exponentially.

Btw, here's one with the venerable D90:
Actually with the AA filter gone from the D7100, you can get pretty sharp JPEGs SOOC. Also the buffer is poor only for RAW, the JPEG buffer is quite decent. So unless you absolutely need fast 6-7 FPS RAW burst modes all the time, the D7100 buffer should suffice.
Old 26th September 2013, 02:06   #12182
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, @amit. I think I will shell out 1200 and get it cleaned from a centre. How long does it take? Can i like wait and collect it back after cleaning from the centre?

@all, in between EOS 6D vs 7D vs 70D, can the 60D be considered for the sheer VFM factor? Apart from the 19 cross type AF points and slightly better FPS, I dont think there is any other reason to choose other camera's.

How is the low light performance of 60D ?
Old 26th September 2013, 08:12   #12183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thank you, @amit. I think I will shell out 1200 and get it cleaned from a centre.
You will be disappointed.

Far better to learn how to do it yourself. Check out Thom Hogan's site. Good info on how to do it.
Old 26th September 2013, 09:35   #12184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

You will be disappointed.

Far better to learn how to do it yourself. Check out Thom Hogan's site. Good info on how to do it.
That's fine if you are okay to take a chance of messing up the sensor. A part that's good fraction of the price of a camera. Not recommended for most people. Take it to the service centre and get it cleaned. They will also perform other checks on the body.
Old 26th September 2013, 12:07   #12185
BHPian

I own a Nikon D3100.
The kit lens is damaged (had taken many hard knocks).
I recently bought a prime-lens 'Nikon 35mm f/1.8' and am satisfied with it (from Flipkart).
I was hoping to have this as my only lens.

Now I am planning to visit the TajMahal, Agra for a (maybe) once-in-a-lifetime holiday.
For photography of monuments like the Taj, will the 'normal' focal length be okay, or will a wide-angle+zoom be better?

My heart wants the 'Nikon 18-105 mm' to replace my damaged 18-55 mm kit lens.
My brain says not to waste money!
This is listed in Flipkart for Rs.19.300.
(This lens is also sold as a kit lens with some packages with bodies).

Though I read a lot of reviews of this lens on the net, hope to get some advice on here please!
Old 26th September 2013, 12:12   #12186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I own a Nikon D3100.
Now I am planning to visit the TajMahal, Agra for a (maybe) once-in-a-lifetime holiday.
For photography of monuments like the Taj, will the 'normal' focal length be okay, or will a wide-angle+zoom be better?
A wide angle is a must if you want to capture the beauty of Taj. Why not rent one as it is just a one time need?
Old 26th September 2013, 15:19   #12187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
A wide angle is a must if you want to capture the beauty of Taj. Why not rent one as it is just a one time need?
A cousin is looking for a wide angle lens for a one time use. can you pls guide as to where in BBY can he rent one?
Old 26th September 2013, 15:41   #12188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
A cousin is looking for a wide angle lens for a one time use. can you pls guide as to where in BBY can he rent one?
www.accordequips.com

Usually Canon lenses are easily available, Nikon are hard to get.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:43   #12189

Hello guys
I have a question for all my seniors.
I have Canon 550d with kit lens(18-55mm). After clicking about 10k pics i want to upgrade to Canon 15-85mm bcoz of its focal length. I like clicking landscapes, monuments and macro (flowers, bees and butterflies) and occasional portraits.

Now the question is what should i expect from 15-85mm lens in terms of image quality ? (I have a decent copy of the kit lens)
Would the macro pictures taken by 15-85mm be better than 18-55mm because of extra zoom of 15-85mm. And what about the magnification ratio of both the lenses ?
I searched regarding last query on net but could not get any satisfactory answer.

Thankyou in advance

Rajvir Singh Bains
Old 29th September 2013, 03:20   #12190
Senior - BHPian

I took it to camera scan, authorized canon service center, they said, they have to send it to Bangalore for cleaning. The cost is 2900/- plus additional if any parts have to changed. Takes 15 days minimum.

This is to be sold after cleaning along with 18-55 & 55-250, Cash to be used for body upgrade. Is the EOS 60d worth it?
Old 29th September 2013, 14:38   #12191
Senior - BHPian

How to recycle Silica gel in 15 minutes

Found a way to recycle silica gel that you normally use to preserve photography equipments in dry boxes. This is a quick and easy way.

Things needed:

1) Hair dryer
2) One from a pair of old socks

Time required is just 15-20 minutes, it can dry up to around 200 grams of Silica gel.

If you go the microwave way, the crystals may break up into tiny pieces owing to quick heating.
If you use the bulb method, it will take a lot of time.

The set-up:

The DSLR Thread-20130929-13.02.03.jpg

Drop the crystals into the socks through this, it is easier. (If your Hair Dryer has a removable jet like this)

The DSLR Thread-20130929-13.02.38.jpg

Run the dryer in its highest setting for a minute or two, then switch to lower speed and let it run. Give a blast of hottest air by switching to top speed every 3 minutes or so. Repeat for about 15 minutes.

In action:

The DSLR Thread-20130929-13.05.47.jpg

And the before and after photos:

Before:
The DSLR Thread-20130929-13.14.45.jpg

After:
The DSLR Thread-20130929-13.07.51.jpg

Let the crystals cool down a bit and put it back into the dry-box.

CAUTION: Hair dryer may get overheated if the hot air can't escape easily through the fabric. Do not use thick fabric. Some hair dryers have overheating protection and they may go into cut-off during this exercise but don't worry, the relay will be closed once the temperature falls down.

EDIT: It is better to repeat the whole exercise once more in two hours after the crystals settle down (Initially the dryness of crystals will not be too deep into the crystals.)

Last edited by clevermax : 29th September 2013 at 14:50.
Old 30th September 2013, 07:44   #12192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
Now the question is what should i expect from 15-85mm lens in terms of image quality ? (I have a decent copy of the kit lens)
Would the macro pictures taken by 15-85mm be better than 18-55mm because of extra zoom of 15-85mm. And what about the magnification ratio of both the lenses ?
The latest 18-55mm IS has a magnification of 0.34x (is that the one you have?) and the 15-85mm IS has a magnification of 0.21x so you might lose out a bit. But given that you are looking for a general purpose lens, I'd recommend you go for the 15-85mm. It is superior in quality overall and the photos are much sharper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Found a way to recycle silica gel that you normally use to preserve photography equipments in dry boxes
Thanks @clevermax, this is a great tip! I actually have a bag of used silica gel that I was about to throw out.

Last edited by nileshch : 30th September 2013 at 07:52.
Old 30th September 2013, 08:11   #12193
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to recycle Silica gel in 15 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Found a way to recycle silica gel that you normally use to preserve photography equipments in dry boxes. This is a quick and easy way.
This is a new way no doubt but easiest way is this:

> Take a roti making tawa and place it on lower gas flame.
> place moisture loaded silica gel once the tawa is slightly hot
> Use a fork or spoon to move those crystals around (as you normally do while cooking )
> Switch off stove when the crystals are blue.
> Leave it as it is for a while. Residual heat from tawa will make those crystals deeper blue.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:28   #12194
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to recycle Silica gel in 15 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This is a new way no doubt but easiest way is this:

> Take a roti making tawa and place it on lower gas flame.
> place moisture loaded silica gel once the tawa is slightly hot
> Use a fork or spoon to move those crystals around (as you normally do while cooking )
> Switch off stove when the crystals are blue.
> Leave it as it is for a while. Residual heat from tawa will make those crystals deeper blue.
Or if you have an OTG use it to heat the crystals and they will loose all their moisture.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:50   #12195
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about silica gel, you guys may be aware of this. But just thought of sharing here. Indicating SG has a known carcinogen - Cobalt Chloride.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel#Hazards (read section on humidity indicator)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_poisoning

I buy fresh SG for e.g. from here:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Silica-Gel-De...item43be2fdbb2

Old SG is discarded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks