Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 00:28   #466
BHPian

Re: Inverter or generator?

Which is the best home inverter for around 20k guys, please suggest some, as the powercuts in Chennai is getting worst day by day
Old 1st March 2012, 10:24   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Which is the best home inverter for around 20k guys, please suggest some, as the powercuts in Chennai is getting worst day by day
I have an APC Square Wave inverter for the past 5 years and am planning to get one more attached to my house (Chennai). This one I have got a quote for 6200 for the Inverter 850va unit and 12000 for 150ah Exide tubular battery.

I have had battery failures within a year or two and I think the tubular offers some peace of mind, for 3 years atleast as it is fully covered with a replacement warranty for 36 months.

Last edited by diyguy : 1st March 2012 at 10:25. Reason: Corrected rating of the battery
Old 1st March 2012, 10:57   #468
Senior - BHPian

I recently got a Multitech 1.5Kva Inverter for home at 24K. They have 2 Exide tubular with 24 months warranty. Haven't been tested a lot. I thought we should have been experiencing a lot of power cuts. Peak summer is still a month and more away.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:18   #469
BHPian

My Dealer tells me APC maint costs are on higher side once warranty is over.Any experiences ?

Has anyone used Base Terminal Inverter.
Old 9th March 2012, 15:05   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
My Dealer tells me APC maint costs are on higher side once warranty is over.Any experiences ?

Has anyone used Base Terminal Inverter.
I have an APC Smart 1500 UPS for over 6 years. Except for batteries I have had no problem. The UPS part is pretty rugged, and the batteries are pretty reasonably priced. The only problem is that the batteries last only 20 min at full load. The models with external batteries are available, and there you can use Tubular types instead of the Sealed ones I have.

Please note that the APC VA ratings are misleading and for home or computer use the 1500VA translates to 1000VA usable capacity.
Old 9th March 2012, 15:26   #471
BHPian

Anyone heard of Su-Kam inverters or have experience using any of them? I am planning to get one for our house in Kerala. The summer is soon approaching and a night of sleep without a fan (at least) is unimaginable.

We recently re-did the electrical wiring of our house since it's about 20yrs old now. Put in a Distribution box and also provisioned for a 3-phase supply so that we can switch to 3-phase once we feel the need to.

The heavy appliances are all on a separate circuit, so that won't need an inverter.

Considering this scenario, what inverter would be recommended?
Old 9th March 2012, 21:33   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Anyone heard of Su-Kam inverters or have experience using any of them?

Su-Kam is one of the leading brand in inverters. I have been using the same for 5+ years now. No issues as of now.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:25   #473
BHPian

I have installed a 875va Luminous invertor with 150Ah Luminous tall tubular battery. It costed me around 21.5K for the whole setup. The price seems to be on the upper side but this was the price all three dealors, I inquired, quoted me. I wanted Exide battery but it was not available with any of the three dealors. I was considering Su Kam, APC and Luminous. Su Kam guys quoted 3K more and the APC was not in stock. So, I had to settle down for Luminous.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:17   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Anyone heard of Su-Kam inverters or have experience using any of them? I am planning to get one for our house in Kerala. The summer is soon approaching and a night of sleep without a fan (at least) is unimaginable.

Own a su-kam 1.4kva with two su-kam tubular batteries, into the third year now, and the performance has been great so far. Touch wood :-)
Old 9th April 2012, 11:43   #475
BHPian

I got a second APC INVERTER 850va with 150ah tall tubular Exide for 18200, installed last month. I already have a 6 year old APC 800va but that was a square wave. I have both running now with the home split amongst these two. Always been happy with APC.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:59   #476
BHPian

Yesterday i got Microtek EV2 series Sinewave inverter 850VA for 5300 Rs. and Exide Invared 500 (150 Ah) battery for 12500 rupees.
Installed and running OK.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:41   #477
IMP
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with the newer Honda gensets? They have come out with the new Inverter generators upto 5.5 kVA, these are petrol run and claim clean power output for sensitive equipments (have seen them mostly in photo labs and banks) What are the maintenance and running costs for these? Are these a good choice? Priced around 1.5 lakh for the 5.5 kVA model.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:16   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I got a second APC INVERTER 850va with 150ah tall tubular Exide for 18200, installed last month. I already have a 6 year old APC 800va but that was a square wave. I have both running now with the home split amongst these two. Always been happy with APC.
@diyguy,
is the battery invatubular IT 500? if so can you PM me the contact details of the mechant from whom who got it? It will be really useful for me.

I got a quote of rs 18.5 K for 150 AH and 23K for 200AH Invatubular batteries. It seems to be too high from what I enquired few months back.
Old 30th April 2012, 23:42   #479
BHPian

Here in my place @ Hyderabad, the power cuts are uninformed and lasts from a minute to hours. Considering to go in for a Inverter, which can light up 2-3 tubelights and run 2-3 fans. Which brand/model should I go for? Or, should I go for a Inverter/Generator?
Old 1st May 2012, 01:07   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Yesterday i got Microtek EV2 series Sinewave inverter 850VA for 5300 Rs. and Exide Invared 500 (150 Ah) battery for 12500 rupees.
Installed and running OK.
Seems like you are good to go. I cannot understand how Exide is dominating this inverter battery market, there is not even a second choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Inverters don't make much of a difference in price/performance value, it is the battery that saps your VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@diyguy,
is the battery invatubular IT 500? if so can you PM me the contact details of the mechant from whom who got it? It will be really useful for me.

I got a quote of rs 18.5 K for 150 AH and 23K for 200AH Invatubular batteries. It seems to be too high from what I enquired few months back.
Rajeswarank7, hold your horses and think straight about what you really want. If you want to throw away your money, get 200AH for 4.5k more. Think rationally what is your requirement and go accordingly, this is not like buying a LED TV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks