Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 21:40   #7006
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
1.The downside to buying the SGS variants is that they are not the greatest and the latest anymore, so most of the development effort is either tailored towards the original I9000 or the SGS II.

2.Another option is to find a dealer who may have leftover stock of the SGS I9000 and pick it up for a major discount. Then slap on the newer ICS builds on it and watch it fly.
1.Very valid point.
2.Best suggestion.

I9000 has so many custom roms and huge dev support. I still regret some times that I bought I9003
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 21:59   #7007
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 850 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.machine View Post
Not sure if thats what happening to me but last night just to save battery i used the flight mode in my new SGS2 but since then my phone keeps showing no service intermittently unless i restart it!

Thant is the precise problem, its some weird software related bug found especially on sgs2, and since this issue is so intermittent most of the users never know that they have it, its like you are talking on the phone, it goes blank as if the network has a problem, by the time you take your phone in your hand to analyze the problem, the phone is gone into the airplane mode and is coming back to the normal mode by itself(mostly) and sometime needs you to restart/go to flight mode and change it, its such a shame that the most powerful android phone in the world has such a huge bug and no one is doing anything about it, the phone is here since Aug 2011 and still now the issue remains un answered, just google this issue and you will be amazed to see the hits you get, i wish i could have bought the less powerful Samsung galaxy.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:21   #7008
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Saw your screenshot showing the battery state in a pictorial format. Which app is this? Source?
This graph and details are very similar to what we get on CM 7.1.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:32   #7009
BHPian
 
codelust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Saw your screenshot showing the battery state in a pictorial format. Which app is this? Source?
It is build 8 of Teamhacksung's AOSP ICS project. It will eventually be merged into the CM9 release. The phone is a SGS I9000.

I have had the same app on the stock SGS Gingerbread ROMs too.
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 07:51   #7010
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 16
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thant is the precise problem, its some weird software related bug found especially on sgs2, and since this issue is so intermittent most of the users never know that they have it, its like you are talking on the phone, it goes blank as if the network has a problem, by the time you take your phone in your hand to analyze the problem, the phone is gone into the airplane mode and is coming back to the normal mode by itself(mostly) and sometime needs you to restart/go to flight mode and change it, its such a shame that the most powerful android phone in the world has such a huge bug and no one is doing anything about it, the phone is here since Aug 2011 and still now the issue remains un answered, just google this issue and you will be amazed to see the hits you get, i wish i could have bought the less powerful Samsung galaxy.

Pramod
Well i am really puzzled at the lack of response from Samsung on this issue. I tried a lot of things yesterday to fix the problem but just short of flashing it. Today morning went back to the store and got it replaced with a new one, seems to be working fine till now. Did some extra testing with data packets, flight mode on/off etc. Lets see how this the goes.
josh.machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 09:58   #7011
BHPian
 
lamboguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Bought the sgs2 2 days ago. Since I upgraded from the optimus one, the phone feels like a rocket. However I would like to ask the fellow owners how much battery life are they able to extract?
On my first day I used the phone practically continuously (heavy browsing, games, apps ) with wifi on and got around 6 hours.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:57   #7012
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,543
Thanked: 1,991 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
On my first day I used the phone practically continuously (heavy browsing, games, apps ) with wifi on and got around 6 hours.
NOT bad considering your usage.

Expect around 10-12 hours of heavy usage in Custom roms. But the stock rom can churn out around the 6-8 hours only.

If you are into rooting and custom roms would advice the CM7 or Batista or CHeck ROM(THough Check rom 4 seems to drink more battery than the previous versions).

I get around 18 hrs after good use if not heavy. The sycn is on 24/7 for office, 2 gmails, gtalk and some widgets. Still i get around 18hrs.

Max has been around 2.5 days with moderate use where data was switched of everytime i didnt need them.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 11:09   #7013
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How good is HTC Sense?

Hi Guys

I am looking for a 10k android handset. A downgrade from my Wave 2. Why? Nice as the Wave 2 is, in terms of its screen, battery life and multimedia, it has a few glaring issues:
1. Bad web browser, with no text reflow, and keeps crashing
2. Only 1200 SMS storage space
3. Lack of Apps (I knew that when I bought it about a year ago, but thought it would improve by now - it hasnt)
4. Too big for me, and heavy

So now, for 10k, I have shortlisted the Dell XCD 35, HTC Explorer, LG Optimus Net and for a bit more, the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini. Here are my observations:

1. LG Optimus Net:
- Did not like LG's skinning of android for some reason. Also, screen looked a bit dull (even after adjusting settings).

2. HTC Explorer:
- Loved the size and especially the feel of HTC Sense, since I will most likely not be rooting the phone, I feel that a good interface is quite important (after coming from Bada, which i didnt like). But it cost 1.5k over the LG

3. Xperia Mini:
- Screen size too small

4. Dell XCD 35:
- Heard that it has poor battery and is a bit unresponsive, and that its truly worth it only if you want to Root. But its screen is the closest to the Wave's (yes, I have been spoilt by the 800 X 480 screen).

I am willing to compromise on the camera and other aspects in favour of a stable, easy to use and well designed interface (after coming from Bada). So does HTC Sense make the most errr. Sense?
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 11:53   #7014
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thant is the precise problem, its some weird software related bug found especially on sgs2, and since this issue is so intermittent most of the users never know that they have it, its like you are talking on the phone, it goes blank as if the network has a problem,
Pramod
This Saturday, let's meet, root the damn phone and give it some custom life!

EDIT: Even people using custom ROMs like CM7 is reporting this same problem.. Seems like you've to live with it?!

Last edited by clevermax : 14th December 2011 at 11:59.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 12:10   #7015
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 597 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
How good is HTC Sense?

4. Dell XCD 35:
- Heard that it has poor battery and is a bit unresponsive, and that its truly worth it only if you want to Root. But its screen is the closest to the Wave's (yes, I have been spoilt by the 800 X 480 screen).
1. Screen is too good to believe for the price of the phone
2. With a 2-3 hours of browsing, half an hour gaming, an hour talk time, my XCD35's battery lasts around 16 hours.
3. Contrary to a common belief, the cell does not heat up during charging. Dell may have fixed the issue.
4. Browsing is too good if you are into it. Due to resolution, its a delight to surf on the net
5. The touch screen very responsive and after I installed Launcher Ex, its smooth as silk
6. I have not yet touched its ROM but people say its very dev friendly. Another TBhpians Bluengelo180 and Phamiliman have posted few links about custom ROMs
7. Its sheer value for money phone at around 8500/- as of now. The Samsung fit/pop and LG Optimus Net, dont come even near when it comes to resolution and display quality.
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 12:13   #7016
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
1. Screen is too good to believe for the price of the phone
2. With a 2-3 hours of browsing, half an hour gaming, an hour talk time, my XCD35's battery lasts around 16 hours.
3. Contrary to a common belief, the cell does not heat up during charging. Dell may have fixed the issue.
4. Browsing is too good if you are into it. Due to resolution, its a delight to surf on the net
5. The touch screen very responsive and after I installed Launcher Ex, its smooth as silk
6. I have not yet touched its ROM but people say its very dev friendly. Another TBhpians Bluengelo180 and Phamiliman have posted few links about custom ROMs
7. Its sheer value for money phone at around 8500/- as of now. The Samsung fit/pop and LG Optimus Net, dont come even near when it comes to resolution and display quality.
Hear hear... I am planning to buy this phone for my mod experiments and for my wife to use If the battery lasts decently, this is extreme value for money phone.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 12:33   #7017
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
1. Screen is too good to believe for the price of the phone
2. With a 2-3 hours of browsing, half an hour gaming, an hour talk time, my XCD35's battery lasts around 16 hours.
3. Contrary to a common belief, the cell does not heat up during charging. Dell may have fixed the issue.
4. Browsing is too good if you are into it. Due to resolution, its a delight to surf on the net
5. The touch screen very responsive and after I installed Launcher Ex, its smooth as silk
6. I have not yet touched its ROM but people say its very dev friendly. Another TBhpians Bluengelo180 and Phamiliman have posted few links about custom ROMs
7. Its sheer value for money phone at around 8500/- as of now. The Samsung fit/pop and LG Optimus Net, dont come even near when it comes to resolution and display quality.
And to think that the salesperson in Univercell was telling that the Dell was rubbish. "No Sir, old model, bad build quality, bad signal, bad everything " He was just trying to flog off the Optimus Net.

Problem is, I cannot find any pieces of the Dell in a store, I wanted to try it out before making a final choice. I guess its mostly available online.

So it's down to the Dell vs the HTC. But I can *maybe live without the amazing screen, so given that:
1. Both are not very powerful models
2. Have only 3 MP cameras
3. Have similar build quality (perhaps)
4. Similar battery life

Running stock android (Dell) vs stock Sense (HTC), which would be the better choice. The HTC costs around 2.5k more than the Dell, but then HTC always charged a premium. And without checking out Dell's Android interface, I am still tempted by Sense UI.
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 13:23   #7018
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 597 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
And to think that the salesperson in Univercell was telling that the Dell was rubbish. "No Sir, old model, bad build quality, bad signal, bad everything " He was just trying to flog off the Optimus Net.

Problem is, I cannot find any pieces of the Dell in a store, I wanted to try it out before making a final choice. I guess its mostly available online.

So it's down to the Dell vs the HTC. But I can *maybe live without the amazing screen, so given that:
1. Both are not very powerful models
2. Have only 3 MP cameras
3. Have similar build quality (perhaps)
4. Similar battery life

Running stock android (Dell) vs stock Sense (HTC), which would be the better choice. The HTC costs around 2.5k more than the Dell, but then HTC always charged a premium. And without checking out Dell's Android interface, I am still tempted by Sense UI.
Dell's UI is stock Froyo but you get launcher apps and themes to customize it. No fancy stuff in the XCD35 as stock but then that why its very responsive and you can add aps anytime.

You may get to see Dell in the Dell stores or Dell distributors (Computer dist). I was quoted 9300/- by the Dell computers distributor. The model was readily available with them and when pushed he lowered the price to 9000/-. I got it from Flipkart at 8600/- but then Letsbuy is selling it around 8200/-.

I am not sure about HTC models since I never used any but XCD is a fantastic model. There are rumors that XCD35 will get a successor with 800 MHz processor and AMOLED screen in India. This model was at 15000 a year back. At 8500/- Its VFM for sure.
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 13:43   #7019
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,584
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The Dell XCD 35 has a 1250 mAH battery, which is not in favor for long day heavy use customer.

Else looks to be a decent buy at the price!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:58   #7020
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

yaar, dell XCD35's brother from the same mother but different father is Idea Blade. with MRP 7992, i'm sure you should get it at 7700. Plus idea would put zero bloatware since thy are not a software company - i suspect mostly stock android

and i'd +1 headers on the battery. but then no one buys androids for lovely battery inspite of heavy usage. for those people there are nokia's dumb phones !!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks