Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2005, 17:33   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Home Theatre Projector

I am planning to buying a Home Theatre Projector in a few months. Although I have a fair idea about what I need in the projector, I have no idea what models/makes are available in India. I probably will need service center in Bangalore.

What is the best way to go about getting a home theatre projector in Bangalore? Who are the local vendors or importers?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Got this from the link given in the Home Theatre thread ..

http://www.soundnvisionhifi.com/prod...PROJECTORS.htm
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 18:13   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Samurai:
Have read that the projector lamps wont last long...a couple of thousand hrs. Are they reliable enuff age wise. And are u planning to buy this for ur home or some official purpose.

Have dropped the idea of a projector owing to this reason, though it has its advantages..
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 18:37   #4
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

well u can check out this shop below hotel samarkhand near safina plaza..he has some of the best projectors and also sells at quite competant prices..also gave 2 screens free to my friend who got a projector worth 1.3 lakhs..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 23:41   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well u can check out this shop below hotel samarkhand near safina plaza..he has some of the best projectors and also sells at quite competant prices..also gave 2 screens free to my friend who got a projector worth 1.3 lakhs..
Thanks a lot, I'll check him out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Got this from the link given in the Home Theatre thread ..

http://www.soundnvisionhifi.com/pro.../PROJECTORS.htm
Thanks for the link. Looks like the website has not been updated for a while, it carries mostly outdated models and prices look very expensive. For example, Hitachi's new PJ-TX10 Home Cinema Projector is actually out of production. Under Infocus, it still carries outdated X1 and I know X3 currently available in India.

Quote:
Have read that the projector lamps wont last long...a couple of thousand hrs. Are they reliable enuff age wise. And are u planning to buy this for ur home or some official purpose.
That's true, but I am planning to use it for only DVD movies and sports, more like 10 hours a week. At that rate it should last 200 weeks or 4 years. Good enough. Home theatre for office purpose? No way!
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 23:44   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Samurai:
Have read that the projector lamps wont last long...a couple of thousand hrs.
The newer ones last much much longer, though projector resolution is still nowhere near CRT resolution...better than Plasma, though.

I liked the new Sonys that they have for home use - claimed to go on and on, though you will need to use power-conditioning equipment like stabilizers when you use them in India.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 23:53   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The newer ones last much much longer, though projector resolution is still nowhere near CRT resolution...better than Plasma, though.
Now you get all kinds of resolutions, your budget is the limit. Check this list: http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I liked the new Sonys that they have for home use - claimed to go on and on, though you will need to use power-conditioning equipment like stabilizers when you use them in India.
In India most manufactures are selling projectors that are discontinued in first world countries, but at premium prices. Another problem, all projectors within 1.5L are low lumen projectors, which means dark room viewing only. One of the best projectors available in India is InFocus ScreenPlay 4805, excellent contrast ratio, but dark room viewing only.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 20:05   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 159
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

hey try the necHT1100 if you are in the 1.5 L budget. if you wanna spend more money...i can give you some more suggestions!
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 21:08   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default

Go for a "DLP" based projector. The brand does not matter. Nothing, i prepeat nothing can come even close to DLP technology, wether its projection televisions or projectors. They are expensive, but really long lasting and future proof
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 21:12   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Does that mean that the B'lore members have found themselves a new hang out, to watch the 2006 season of F1?

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 00:02   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
hey try the necHT1100 if you are in the 1.5 L budget. if you wanna spend more money...i can give you some more suggestions!
I checked the reviews, it looks like a winner. Is it available in India? at what price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Does that mean that the B'lore members have found themselves a new hang out, to watch the 2006 season of F1?
Heh, heh, nope, not really. I will be moving out of Bangalore in April, this projector is for my new home where I have a big room for HTS. My current home in Bangalore has no place for a projector.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 00:06   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 159
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

yeah - available both official and in the grey market...

also try the optoma - i'll get the model number and details tomorrow. and also the prices of the nec
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 00:08   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Heh, heh, nope, not really. I will be moving out of Bangalore in April, this projector is for my new home where I have a big room for HTS.
So you can have a TBHP meet, drive AND watch F1 on largescreen.......just curious - are you gonna buy the beer as well?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 08:46   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
So you can have a TBHP meet, drive AND watch F1 on largescreen.......just curious - are you gonna buy the beer as well?
Actually I will moving near to the coast along NH17, driving will be fun. Of course, if you drive all the way to to my place, unlimited beer and snacks will be free.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 08:59   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Heh, heh, nope, not really. I will be moving out of Bangalore in April, this projector is for my new home where I have a big room for HTS. My current home in Bangalore has no place for a projector.

Hmm moving out for good eh..maybe a lot many of the ppl who stay in Bangalore will be forced to do the same thing..

Last edited by muni : 21st November 2005 at 09:02.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Designing a Home Theatre System Samurai Gadgets, Computers & Software 47 26th February 2014 12:56
Speaker Wires and RCA for Home Theatre viper Gadgets, Computers & Software 51 13th July 2009 06:48
Sony home theatre chetan Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 9th June 2009 09:23
Advice on Home Theatre Amplifier ash_edged Gadgets, Computers & Software 18 25th February 2008 19:01
Advice for Home Theatre viper Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 13th May 2006 09:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks