Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 10:06   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
My budget remains at 7.5L.
I don't want to go for a Diesel simply because my miles remain rather low.
Some folks at home suggested buying a used Skoda and spending some on getting the works done but for me to judge and trust a used car just does not seem possible...creates anxiety pangs!

Until yesterday I had these three options in mind:
  • Classic - for reasons already quoted
  • Avventura - because of the Fiat fandom about stability and quality of construction but it might go out of budget
  • Polo - the seemingly better option with more than anticipated visibility on Delhi roads
Is there any hidden option I don't know about?
7.5L is THE MAX...CANNOT GO BEYOND THIS.
Classic should be a great choice. Excellent car, you simply cannot go wrong with the 1.6 litre engine. Just do a thorough Pdi.

You might also want to take a look at the Punto and Linea, very competent and solid built cars, although I think the Punto is more fun to drive than the Linea.

I don't think the Aventura makes sense, but that's just me.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 25th August 2015, 14:57   #227
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: DELHI
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

I am also not too sure about the Avventura.
Too much cladding makes me a bit unsure.
With so many hits over the years by autos and careless drivers, the cladding might develop loose ends and start clattering.
There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for Linea.
Let me check this option.
For some reason, it just did not hit my mind.
Checked the pricing for Vento - definitely not in my budget.

thank you guys...Classic does not seem to infuse much confidence.
Did a reality check at the office too. Even the company drivers are saying that Classic is taking a step backwards though am still not negative about it.
anubhavk1980 is offline  
Old 25th August 2015, 16:03   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post

Now the serious part...I have made some queries and the 1.6 Classic is still available in Delhi.

The published price is around 5.7L.

My main worries are:
- the model is not a hot seller


Also:
- I drive very little, mainly in the city
- Classic will be for my office and weekend driving
Is buying the 1.6 Petrol Classic with some company fitted accessories a good option?
Am I taking an undue risk? Am looking at an ownership of at least 7 years.
....and yes,
Does the Classic still have that Ford-brand solidity?
If not, should I go for a Polo.
Seriously confused...!!

I own a Ford Fiesta 2010 (not classic but same car). This is not a car to be used in city. The city mileage is low (I get 8 - 10 KM/L) in Bangalore traffic but I drive very less in the city. This is a car for the highway and twisty roads.

This car is no longer produced. If you intend to keep the car for 7 years, I would not recommend it. However, I plan to keep my car for some more time. I am absolutely happy with it.
pramodpk is offline  
Old 25th August 2015, 16:46   #229
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: DELHI
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I own a Ford Fiesta 2010 (not classic but same car). This is not a car to be used in city. The city mileage is low (I get 8 - 10 KM/L) in Bangalore traffic but I drive very less in the city. This is a car for the highway and twisty roads.

This car is no longer produced. If you intend to keep the car for 7 years, I would not recommend it. However, I plan to keep my car for some more time. I am absolutely happy with it.

Can you please explain on the Classic not being a "city car".
Does this mean a stiff suspension or not so responsive steering?
I have driven Swift, Esteem, Wagon R and Accent apart from a couple of drives of the Octavia. These are the only cars I know.
anubhavk1980 is offline  
Old 25th August 2015, 23:23   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 946
Thanked: 295 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
Can you please explain on the Classic not being a "city car".
Does this mean a stiff suspension or not so responsive steering?
I have driven Swift, Esteem, Wagon R and Accent apart from a couple of drives of the Octavia. These are the only cars I know.
What he means probably is from FE point of view and the fact that add our miserable traffic, but then you cannot enjoy any car in traffic. Otherwise this car is good for the city, compact yet spacious. If you want to buy 1.6 petrol look no further, cos you will never get that joy in Aspire petrol.
zulfi hansi is offline  
Old 26th August 2015, 00:19   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,434
Thanked: 3,131 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I own a Ford Fiesta 2010 (not classic but same car). This is not a car to be used in city. The city mileage is low (I get 8 - 10 KM/L) in Bangalore traffic but I drive very less in the city. This is a car for the highway and twisty roads.

This car is no longer produced. If you intend to keep the car for 7 years, I would not recommend it. However, I plan to keep my car for some more time. I am absolutely happy with it.
What do you mean?? I am on the lookout for a top end petrol classic that might still be in stock with dealers (need suggestions from folks on how to source one). It is brilliant to drive and is an absolute treat on good roads but I found that it is also a perfectly proportioned little sedan that is easy to drive in the city due to its shape and small dimensions, and because the motor itself is such a gem with enough low-end to keep it peppy. It is from an age where everything was still simple and is based on the very popular fiesta mark4 which means there should be no issues with longterm ownership either.
IshaanIan is offline  
Old 26th August 2015, 10:07   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
Can you please explain on the Classic not being a "city car".
Does this mean a stiff suspension or not so responsive steering?
I have driven Swift, Esteem, Wagon R and Accent apart from a couple of drives of the Octavia. These are the only cars I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
What he means probably is from FE point of view and the fact that add our miserable traffic, but then you cannot enjoy any car in traffic. Otherwise this car is good for the city, compact yet spacious. If you want to buy 1.6 petrol look no further, cos you will never get that joy in Aspire petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
What do you mean?? I am on the lookout for a top end petrol classic that might still be in stock with dealers (need suggestions from folks on how to source one). It is brilliant to drive and is an absolute treat on good roads but I found that it is also a perfectly proportioned little sedan that is easy to drive in the city due to its shape and small dimensions, and because the motor itself is such a gem with enough low-end to keep it peppy. It is from an age where everything was still simple and is based on the very popular fiesta mark4 which means there should be no issues with longterm ownership either.
The only issue is the fuel economy. The best I got in Bangalore city is 10.5 KM/L and worst is 8 (bumper to bumper traffic with lot of waiting at signals).
Otherwise the car is good for city use.
It is reasonably compact, has a good turn angle (and hence low turning radius), does not scrap the bottom on speed breakers, a very responsive engine and an additive engine note at high rpms. The AC is also a chiller.

I only meant that this is a car to be enjoyed on highways and should not be confined to the city
pramodpk is offline  
Old 26th August 2015, 15:57   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,434
Thanked: 3,131 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The only issue is the fuel economy. The best I got in Bangalore city is 10.5 KM/L and worst is 8 (bumper to bumper traffic with lot of waiting at signals).

I only meant that this is a car to be enjoyed on highways and should not be confined to the city
That is expected from a naturally aspirated 1.6 liter petrol engine of its era. After loads of time in the Kizashi achieving similar figures in the city even though the engine is twice the size, I might actually be able to squeeze 1kmpl or so more out of the Fiesta now

Definitely cars like the Fiesta should never be confined to the city
IshaanIan is offline  
Old 31st August 2015, 19:42   #234
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: DELHI
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

My research, if you can really call it that, suggests that the POLO comes the nearest to what I want. I do just 10 km of commuting per day during the weekdays plus something like 50 to 55 kms over the weekend.
A diesel does not make sense.
The Classic poses too much doubt in terms of the inventory available.
Better options like Ventos and the new Linea are beyond my range.
I am thinking of getting the new POLO with many folks saying that a slightly refurbished model is on the verge of being launched.
The dealership is nearby too and financing is rather good in terms of the rate of interests on offer.
anubhavk1980 is offline  
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:26   #235
BHPian
 
amiya.c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
My research, if you can really call it that, suggests that the POLO comes the nearest to what I want. I do just 10 km of commuting per day during the weekdays plus something like 50 to 55 kms over the weekend.
A diesel does not make sense.
The Classic poses too much doubt in terms of the inventory available.
Better options like Ventos and the new Linea are beyond my range.
I am thinking of getting the new POLO with many folks saying that a slightly refurbished model is on the verge of being launched.
The dealership is nearby too and financing is rather good in terms of the rate of interests on offer.
A relative of mine recently had a test drive of the polo 1.2 petrol and were not happy with the power delivery and the engine noise. It seems it still comes with the age old 3 pot cylinder engine. It is not a match to the suzuki's and hyundai's 1.2 l petrol engines. I would suggest you to check out the elite i20 (sportz) and I am sure you will be impress with the build quality cabin space and features offered in the same price. I see only 2 good things in polo, looks and the boot space of 280 l, that's all. Your budget restricts you to go for the 1.2 TSI model, otherwise in Polo it is TSI and the GT TDI models to go for, not the 1.2l 3 cylinder Petrol.
I personally own the Fiesta classic 1.4 TDCI (remapped) and would not recommend you to go for the 1.6 duratec unless you are a die hard fan of it, the only reason for it being a decade old model but it certainly maintains the solid build quality like that of old and new Fiesta.
amiya.c is offline  
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:15   #236
BHPian
 
Starscream1188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
Can you please explain on the Classic not being a "city car".
Does this mean a stiff suspension or not so responsive steering?
I have driven Swift, Esteem, Wagon R and Accent apart from a couple of drives of the Octavia. These are the only cars I know.
Hi Anubhav,
I bought the Classic 1.6 on Aug 20 and have clocked just over 2k kms on it already, Let me tell you one thing the feedback and dynamics of this car is not matched by most cars in this price segment. I am happy i made the right decision, at the end of the day it is you who drives it and your opinion that matters. The car is a treat on the highways and can keep cruising at 140 all day without any stress to the engine.
I do not use the car for my daily commute though, so may not be able to comment on how good a daily driver it is. (Specific to mileage alone). On my longer trips have got a good mileage of 13-14 kmpl which is decent in my opinion.
If you are not hell bent on looks and like a clean looking car with the right proportions classic would still look neat even 10 years down the line. ( a very personal opinion though, not a fan of the ugly looking designs of today).
Speaking of service, I feel there is a huge misconception of quality of service but I should say I have been happy with their attention to detail and service and feel it is much better than that of Maruti's upselling gimmicks.
By rule the parts are to be supplied by the manufacturer for 10 years from the time the production of the model is stopped, considering the number of 's classic's/fiesta's on road and the number of cycle parts shared with the figo availability of parts should not be an issue.

One Pic of my Joy ride: ( Supposedly the last 1.6 on sale in Bangalore)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh-dsc_01582.jpg  


Last edited by Starscream1188 : 2nd September 2015 at 12:18.
Starscream1188 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:48   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,297
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
My budget remains at 7.5L.
I don't want to go for a Diesel simply because my miles remain rather low.

Is there any hidden option I don't know about?
7.5L is THE MAX...CANNOT GO BEYOND THIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Since you are not looking for a Diesel, why don't you also consider the following:

1. Zest


Top end Zest on road will be less than 7.5 after discounts, and it will meet your needs very well if you can look past it being a Tata. I fully recommend it.

The Ford Classic was a brilliant car for its time, but the requirements have changed today. The Zest comes loaded with features, is far more spacious - especially the rear seat, and has sufficient boot space for trips and airport runs as well.

Last edited by VeluM : 2nd September 2015 at 12:49.
VeluM is offline  
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:05   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Exclamation Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
... Supposedly the last 1.6 on sale in Bangalore...
Lucky You!

I am (was) considering the Ford Classic....and came to know (sad ) that the Classic is no longer produced.
Blue Thunder is offline  
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:50   #239
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post


Top end Zest on road will be less than 7.5 after discounts, and it will meet your needs very well if you can look past it being a Tata. I fully recommend it.

The Ford Classic was a brilliant car for its time, but the requirements have changed today. The Zest comes loaded with features, is far more spacious - especially the rear seat, and has sufficient boot space for trips and airport runs as well.
While I agree with all your other observations on the Zest, I would really advise a proper test drive of the Zest petrol before confirming the purchase. The 1.2 Revotron engine is a little underpowered and you really need to downshift to 1st gear even for slight inclines. I also end up stalling the Zest much more than other cars. The service center has not been able to fix the stalling issue, inspite of experiencing the same during TD's.

So, while the Zest is spacious, value for money and is a very competent car otherwise, the 1.2 litre petrol engine is a little out of its league given the weight that it has to pull.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:10   #240
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Ford India cuts Classic price by up to 1 Lakh

Time to close this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ic-fiesta.html (Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta)
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison of select cars in the Rs. 13-15 Lakh (P) & 13.5-15.5 Lakh (D) price range jessie007 The Indian Car Scene 4 31st October 2012 14:59
Ford cuts price of Fusion diesel by Rs 22,000 + Fusion Plus re-introduced ajnagpur The Indian Car Scene 40 3rd June 2008 10:41
Skoda launches Superb’s new variant; cuts prices by Rs 2 lakh kpbhatt The Indian Car Scene 30 28th May 2008 16:43
Dzire some josh? Ford cuts Ikon price by Rs 36,000 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 27 5th May 2008 17:24
FIAT Cuts Palio price by 22K hasopi The Indian Car Scene 24 20th September 2006 09:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks