Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 02:15   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Had a brief test-drive today.

My '54 Millicento accelerates faster than this thing, and has a smoother engine. Now that's a petrol vehicle, but my '99 Turbo Sumo 4x4 is smoother and performs better too - though it has similar dynamics on the move. Please take a reasonably winding road (not a curve - that would be suicidal) at speed and listen to the wheels squeal in protest.

Political correctness be damned - this is a ridiculous choice of weapon if M&M are aiming for the Ecosport/Duster. If it is aimed at the Bolero market, it is a much better appointed vehicle than the Bolero and moves with the same (lack of) urgency of the last Bolero. Its a small MUV, not an SUV. It does provide adequate levels of kit and a much better interior, so if you're in the market for a Bolero sort of vehicle this is a much better choice.

If you're looking for a proper car/raised hatchback, please look elsewhere. Unless you really dislike F1 in the last decade and a half and would like to throw aerodynamics out of a trapezoid window by driving around in an small and disproportionate wall.

This is 2015 and you can make so many other mistakes, all of which would be less drastic than buying this creation.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd September 2015 at 02:21.
Steeroid is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 02:36   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Which colour do you think will look good after mods. I browsed Wrangler images on net and I like mods on orange color better, it stands out and is very uncommon, however a lot depends on the shade of Orange... I havent seen it in flesh in TUV.

Is there any insights on how AMT would perform on hills?

If I were to buy one I would prefer a red to a white! Red suits more for 'Live young Live Free' than a white; but mind you I am biased due to owning a Red Chianti Honda CRV in past and the red TUV in one of the posts here reminds me of my CRV ❤️ which I sold long time back!

I even like your bold orange choice. Will definitely stand out from the rest in the crowd!
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:15   #948
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Had a brief test-drive today.

My '54 Millicento accelerates faster than this thing,............so many other mistakes, all of which would be less drastic than buying this creation.
Well now!.......that certainly was a load off your chest. But then, to each his own I suppose. For my money, both the Ecosport and the Duster (the FWD version which is what the TUV has in its sights, price-wise - since kit-wise its way ahead) are prima donna boulvardiers & hatch-backs on steroids. As SUVs they are a hoot.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, its almost passe to look down one's nose at our local efforts, while bending over backwards and simpering at the candy-floss item-number offerings of overseas mfrs, which they dump on our sublimely uncritical car buyers and (opinion-makers ?)
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:49   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Well now!.......that certainly was a load off your chest. But then, to each his own I suppose. For my money, both the Ecosport and the Duster (the FWD version which is what the TUV has in its sights, price-wise - since kit-wise its way ahead) are prima donna boulvardiers & hatch-backs on steroids. As SUVs they are a hoot.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, its almost passe to look down one's nose at our local efforts, while bending over backwards and simpering at the candy-floss item-number offerings of overseas mfrs, which they dump on our sublimely uncritical car buyers and (opinion-makers ?)

Out of curiosity, please clarify what specific SUV capabilities both Ecosport and Duster do not possess and which TUV3OO has, to be termed as boulvardiers and hatchbacks on steroids. Not sure if you were referring only to looks, as it is subjective anyway.

The comparison is objective and is not between local and global car manufacturers, as you have highlighted.
aamateen46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:39   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
Out of curiosity, please clarify what specific SUV capabilities both Ecosport and Duster do not possess and which TUV3OO has, to be termed as boulvardiers and hatchbacks on steroids. Not sure if you were referring only to looks, as it is subjective anyway.

The comparison is objective and is not between local and global car manufacturers, as you have highlighted.
With due respect to your post, the one characteristics of SUV that TUV300 possesses is that it is based on a 'ladder on frame' chassis and the Ecosport and Duster are monocoque chasis.
TUV is wider and taller as against the other 2
Karthik Chandra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:08   #951
BHPian

Found another link which mentioned the modified TUV3OO from team-bhp on GadgeLite

Just goes to show that team-bhp is a platform for many other blogs and forums.

Cheers and hearty thanks (for letting me showcase my work) to team-bhp.

Last edited by iamahunter : 22nd September 2015 at 15:18.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:49   #952
Senior - BHPian

Is this a camouflaged TUV? Saw it on the NH4 while coming from Pune to Mumbai near Pashan. Trailed it for quite a while and then suddenly lost it.

Mods: If this does not fit into this thread, pls move accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p_20150921_124653.jpg  

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p_20150921_124709.jpg  

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p_20150921_124707.jpg  

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p_20150921_124700.jpg  

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p_20150921_124711.jpg  

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p_20150921_124658.jpg  

ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:52   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is this a camouflaged TUV? Saw it on the NH4 while coming from Pune to Mumbai near Pashan. Trailed it for quite a while and then suddenly lost it.
Yes, it definitely looks like the TUV300, must be the Petrol engine variant being tested.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:54   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mods: If this does not fit into this thread, pls move accordingly.
I am surprised why it should be camouflaged when it is already launched and available for Demo and Test Drive.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:55   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
With due respect to your post, the one characteristics of SUV that TUV300 possesses is that it is based on a 'ladder on frame' chassis and the Ecosport and Duster are monocoque chasis.
TUV is wider and taller as against the other 2
What is the advantage of a ladder on frame chassis over monocoque for a two wheel drive vehicle?

Being wider and taller does not help in becoming a better SUV.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:56   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like TUV300 only, probably the camouflage has not been removed. After launch I am not sure what they are still testing.
May be a petrol engine?
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:29   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Is this a camouflaged TUV? Saw it on the NH4 while coming from Pune to Mumbai near Pashan. Trailed it for quite a while and then suddenly lost it. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Yes, it definitely looks like the TUV300, must be the Petrol engine variant being tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Looks like TUV300 only, probably the camouflage has not been removed. After launch I am not sure what they are still testing.
May be a petrol engine?
Someone please tell me that Mahindra is testing a 4X4. This vehicle is built for 4X4, please plonk the engine from mighty Thar and give the vehicle what it needs.

Old 22nd September 2015, 16:30   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
What is the advantage of a ladder on frame chassis over monocoque for a two wheel drive vehicle?

Being wider and taller does not help in becoming a better SUV.
Theoretically a ladder frame chassis can flex more than a monocoque construction, which is much more rigid and stiffer. This helps the vehicle take much more abuse compared to the monocoque one. But this comes at a cost - a traditional ladder frame SUV has a wallowy ride compared to the modern monocoque soft roaders

Also 4 WD is not mandatory for all off road conditions - RWD + ladder frame + appropriate tyres + good GC can tackle most terrain

Quoting SS-T's post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
[*]The box section chassis from the Scorpio is an overkill for a car of this size. Chassis rigidity over potholes and poor roads is understandably excellent, but it adds to the weight.
Scorpio's chassis is a proven one for beyond the road abuses

But that said - the Duster is also a proven vehicle with good 'no-road' credentials, and that is a monocoque

Last edited by mallumowgli : 22nd September 2015 at 16:32.
mallumowgli is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:46   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
Someone please tell me that Mahindra is testing a 4X4. This vehicle is built for 4X4, please plonk the engine from mighty Thar and give the vehicle what it needs.

The moment they put in any engine with displacement greater than 1.5L Diesel, the price jumps by a few lakhs, due to the additional 12% excise duty. So, my belief is that even if they introduce a 4X4, they would retain the 1.5L Diesel, but may be in a different state of tune.
While there are some hopes and rumours that a petrol engine may be on the way, there is no such scoops about the 4X4 yet.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:59   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
The moment they put in any engine with displacement greater than 1.5L Diesel, the price jumps by a few lakhs, due to the additional 12% excise duty. So, my belief is that even if they introduce a 4X4, they would retain the 1.5L Diesel, but may be in a different state of tune.
While there are some hopes and rumours that a petrol engine may be on the way, there is no such scoops about the 4X4 yet.
The petrol engine on a Sub 4M vehicle cant be more than 1.2L, No?
IMHO, Mahindra should avoid stepping into petrol segment with a 1.2L TUV
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks