Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 08:24   #166
BANNED

Re: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
My Nano bug. This one will stay with me till my ticker stops ticking. Better to have tried and lost than not try at all so thanks to Mr.Ratan Tata for trying.
Nano is having the TATA tradition, that is innovating something for the first time. The idea of a car at a little higher price than a two wheeler was definitely an innovation. It adds to their contributions to India along with Steel, Provident fund, Air India, Maternity leaves, onsite-offshore model and so on. For those who are unaware whatever I have mentioned in the previous sentence are actually introduced by TATA, later some got adopted by government. Most of the times they stick with their values of non-corruption, non-tobacco etc. Even the Nano project was their latest show of non-corruption when the entire facility was shifted to Gujarat from WB.

Last edited by pavi : 1st February 2019 at 08:27.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 08:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
My Nano bug. This one will stay with me till my ticker stops ticking. Better to have tried and lost than not try at all so thanks to Mr.Ratan Tata for trying.
Count me in too! It's my Nano's 5th birthday today.

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-img_20190118_165155.jpg

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-img_20190118_165207.jpg
AdityaDeane is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:22   #168
Senior - BHPian

And in the latest news:-

Tata Sumo, Bolt discontinued – Safari, Zest to be next

Source article

Quote:
While production of Tata Sumo has been brought to a halt, the automaker has also discontinued the Bolt hatchback.

Tata Motors has discontinued production of the Sumo and Bolt hatchback along with the Nano. This is in view of upcoming safety and emission norms. Updating these ageing models would have been uneconomical, and thus they have been discontinued.

The latest version of the Tata Sumo was the Gold; which was launched in November 2011. It was powered by a common rail, 4 cylinder engine offering 84 bhp power at 3,000 rpm and 250 Nm torque at 1,000 rpm mated to a 5 speed manual transmission.

The Sumo was offered in a price range from Rs.7.52-8.96 lakhs and was sold in 4 variants. The model also cannot be updated with safety features such as ABS, reverse parking sensors, driver side airbags and seat belt reminders and hence production has been stopped. Sales in Mar 2019 stood at 96 units, declining 88% from March 2018. Existing stocks at dealers will be sold till inventory available.

The Tata Bolt hatchback was unveiled at 2014 Auto Expo. It is also being pulled out of production. The Bolt was based on the older X1 platform but with Tata Motors now focusing on all cars with the all-new IMPACT 2.0 design philosophy as well as modular ALFA and OMEGA platforms, the company has no other option but to pull out older models from production.

Bolt sales in March 2019 stood at 30 units, down from 421 units sold in March 2018. To replace the Bolt, Tata will launch Altroz, which will sit above the Tiago above the company line-up.

Apart from the Sumo and Bolt, Tata has also pulled the Nano out of production. Next it will be Zest that will be discontinued, as the company already has Tigor updated planned for launch. Zest is based on same old platform of Bolt, and is powered by BS4 engines. Zest sales for Mar 2019 stood at 645 units, down from 1604 units in Mar 2018. Tata Safari is another car which will be axed. Safari sales for March 2019 stood at 445 units, down from 1145 units sold in March 2018.

Replacing old Tata cars are range of new Tata cars. The company has already launched Tiago, Tigor, Nexon, Harrier in recent years. Next they have Buzzard, Altroz, H2X, 8 seater MPV to rival Innova Crysta, and so on.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 08:25   #169
BHPian

About time. Sumo, Bolt and Safari sales have been slipping over time. Makes economic sense to shut down unprofitable product lines and concentrate on bringing in new products.
Also these three cars may not meet the new safety norms which will be in place from next year.
Enthusiasts who love Safari 4*4 for the beast it is, should buy one for keeps. Most parts are interchangeable with the Storme and Hexa so no worries there.
Old 12th April 2019, 08:35   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Are there any stocks of the Nano AMT available with Tata? A colleague is quite interested in picking up one as it is just perfect for his needs and parking space available.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:48   #171
Senior - BHPian

I had recently asked Concorde Mathura road. They have a 2018 White XT in stock. No XTA.
Old 12th April 2019, 12:02   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I had recently asked Concorde Mathura road. They have a 2018 White XT in stock. No XTA.
What kind of deal did they offer you on it?
Old 9th October 2019, 06:59   #173
BHPian

Just 1 Tata Nano unit sold in 2019, no production in first 9 months

Quote:
On the issue of discontinuing the Nano, Tata Motors has insisted that "Decisions on product life cycle is a holistic view taken after considering the market developments, regulations and emerging competitive landscape. Any such decisions are announced as and when it's taken".
Company officials had, however, hinted that prodution and sales of the Nano would stop from April 2020 as Tata Motors has no plans to invest further on Ratan Tata's dream car to meet strict emission norm under Bharat Stage-VI and other safety regulations.

Last edited by Who_are_you : 9th October 2019 at 07:03. Reason: formatting
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 18:38   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors writes off Rs 230 crore in Q2 on cars no longer profitable.

Quote:
While the company did not specify names, production of at least two well-known models - Nano and Sumo - have been stopped

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 23:15   #175
Senior - BHPian

Ratan Tata reminisces the Nano says "It Was For All Our People".

Fourteen years after it was first unveiled, Ratan Tata has taken to Instagram to explain the reason why the mini hatchback was conceived.

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-smartselect_20220512231244_instagram.jpg

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-smartselect_20220512231259_instagram.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th May 2022 at 23:20.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 23:41   #176
BHPian

Look what I noticed. He very specifically liked those comments that requested to re-launch the Nano as an EV.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-fb_img_1652378941520.jpg  

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-fb_img_1652378943976.jpg  

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-fb_img_1652378946080.jpg  

udaikalra01 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:46   #177
BHPian

As a Nano Twist owner over last many years, I definitely feel it should be back on roads. Some of my personal observations, including my parents who are 70+ (may be different for others)
1. Stress free city driving.
2. Excellent alternative for grocery and other shopping in city.
3. Very helpful for Senior citizens - egress and ingress.
4. Peppy engine and gear ratios tuned for good pickup.
5. Very roomy interiors and airy cabin.
6. Breeze in taking U turns.
7. Excellent to have as a 2nd car too
8. Sufficient storage space.
9. Large glass area and good all-round visibility.
10. Decent seating comfort even for seniors.

The only thing I would not recommend is highway driving as I don't think it's a safe car for it.

If only Tata launches it in an improved avtar or as an EV, am sure and I hope it would do good numbers.
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:30   #178
BHPian

Wasn't a battery operated Nano being already tested by the name of "Neo"? It was in partnership with Banglore based Jayem Auto.

As per this Rushlane article, a under test vehicle was also spotted last year:

https://www.rushlane.com/2021-tata-n...-12388341.html

I am sure, there is another thread on tbhp, where this was being discussed already.
Old 13th May 2022, 11:50   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

If one comes out indeed as an EV - I will be very interested in how they do it. Key will be the range per charge. A range similar to the 1st Tigor EV (not the Ziptron one) - is what people will definitely expect in a Nano EV city run-about. Even for that range - the battery pack will need to be quite large for the dimensions of the car. Packaging it either in the front nose or in place of the original engine mount - will be manageable perhaps. The key will be how the chassis manages the weight of a battery that supports longer range. I won't be surprised if TaMo needs to actually beef up the chassis itself to support such heavy bolt-on parts (if at all they are working on one). Such a change of course would mean much more investment, testing and higher input costs.

Anything with a range like the Mahindra e2O - is probably going to be a failure. Anything with an acceptable range - may not be small enough to replace a scooter. Catch22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks