Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 21:51   #181
BHPian

Re: Indian 'Car' shows on TV are PATHETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
Hi, You can check out their official reviews here: http://www.Youtube.com/user/powerdriftofficial

These guys are seriously good and they show a lot of passion for vehicles.
You beat me to it. These guys are genuinely good, so much so that the folks at Wheelocity simply lifted their content of P200 vs Duke.

I hope with action camera prices coming down, such independent shows will start to thrive in India.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:16   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
You beat me to it. These guys are genuinely good, so much so that the folks at Wheelocity simply lifted their content of P200 vs Duke.

I hope with action camera prices coming down, such independent shows will start to thrive in India.
My pleasure adityasiera!

You must check this review:
This is my favorite video from powerdrift as it shows pure heritage and displays the dedication put into building the Royal Enfield Bullet 500. It will make you feel the urge of owning one.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:37   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Also not having personalities ( like Clarkson, Tiff) among Indian auto journalism is not helping their cause.
Also Indian shows are very diplomatic where as Clarkson is straight to the point.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:44   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
Hi, You can check out their official reviews here:
These guys are seriously good and they show a lot of passion for vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Just checked out powerdrift. Really good reviews, not drab and superficial like the ndtv/ cnbc/ others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
You beat me to it. These guys are genuinely good
The camera work is pretty good, and I liked the first video I saw (Ecosport). But after that it felt like emphasis is more on style, and there is an added effort to look/sound cool. And one of the guy experiment a bit too much while pronouncing some words.

But yes, overall they are much better than many others in that space.
If I remember correctly, they’re on Team-bhp as well.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th November 2013 at 20:45. Reason: Tags removed
Old 20th November 2013, 14:22   #185
BHPian

I treat this as a comedy show. Especially the segment of "What car do I buy?" or its equivalent where an unsuspecting guy or gal write to them about their requirement and they respond with their choices or suggestions. So basic formula

"I have 6-8 lakhs to spend... " "Buy a hatch"

"and I have a family of four... " "Buy a hatch"

"And drive long distances to work.. " "diesel hatch"

"And my parents visit every month.. "diesel sedan"

My 3 year old can give better advice than that.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 16:32   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I treat this as a comedy show. Especially the segment of "What car do I buy?" or its equivalent where an unsuspecting guy or gal write to them about their requirement and they respond with their choices or suggestions. So basic formula

"I have 6-8 lakhs to spend... " "Buy a hatch"

"and I have a family of four... " "Buy a hatch"

"And drive long distances to work.. " "diesel hatch"

"And my parents visit every month.. "diesel sedan"

My 3 year old can give better advice than that.

Even better is that older guy Tutu (First name) (followed by some surname) in a Hindi Auto show who helps out the people in their "which car or bike to buy section".

"150 cc" - "Pulsar or Yamaha FZ- enumerate pro's/con's- dono chala ke decide kijiye"

"200+cc" -"Pulsar 220 or CBR 250- enumerate pro's/con's- dono chala ke decide kjiye"

"100cc"- "Splendor/Passion or Twister- enumerate pro's/con's- dono chala ke decide kijiye".

Never ever will he ever pin point or suggest an actual bike as his final choice. If the viewer has given his options, he will enumerate the pro's and con's of each of them and tell him "dono chala ke decide kar lijiye". If the viewer has only given his budget/cc requirement, he will state the options then state their pro's and con's and end with "dono chala ke decide kar lijiye" . If you cant suggest a bike; what am I writing to you for?

Last edited by rahul4321 : 20th November 2013 at 16:33. Reason: Typo
Old 20th November 2013, 16:51   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Even better is that older guy Tutu (First name) (followed by some surname) in a Hindi Auto show who helps out the people in their "which car or bike to buy section".
Never ever will he ever pin point or suggest an actual bike as his final choice. If you cant suggest a bike; what am I writing to you for?
Completely agree with you on this one. He will always play safe and will never help you in deciding. I hope he stop 'advising' people onTV.

However, he is one brilliant guy and I have seen his works. He is quite known in automobile circles and his name is Tutu Dhawan. I believe he ia also a member of this forum. Apart from that TV show I have tremendous respect for him.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:09   #188
BHPian

In my opinion, intendend or unintended, Tutu Dhawan is giving right opinion by asking viewers to decide on a bike/car by driving it before they buy. Whats wrong in that? If the viewer is asking without driving (which I am sure he is as he/she is stupid to ask it on TV show (as concluded in some posts above)), that is the best advice for the viewer.
Only additional thing he should improve on should be give his final choice, may be.
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 07:27   #189
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while scanning TV channels bumped into 'Hot Wheels', the auto show on the Malayalam language Media One channel. The review of Ashok Leyland Stile was on then. The lady anchor was making pathetic mistakes and I noticed the following in the couple of minutes before I moved away from that channel.
1. She was explaining that the car developed 1750 rpm at xxx NM of torque.
2. A dealer representative appears and explained about 10K KM engine oil and 150K gear oil drain intervals and said that, therefore maintenance is very very less.
3. She explained that Stile is an ideal family car and a cab owner/driver and his family were asked about their opinion on the vehicle. The wife promptly told that traveling in Stile is like traveling in a Volvo bus. The Stile shown was yellow plated cab and was not for the exclusive use as a family vehicle.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th January 2014 at 07:36.
Old 20th January 2014, 07:37   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yesterday while scanning TV channels bumped into 'Hot Wheels', the auto show on the Malayalam language Media One channel. The review of Ashok Leyland Stile was on then. The lady anchor was making pathetic mistakes and I noticed the following in the couple of minutes before I moved away from that.
I sometimes watch that show on YouTube just for the comedy (from the comments they make). That said, most of the auto shows in Malayalam channels are quite pathetic; Hot Wheels probably is the worst among them.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:06   #191
Senior - BHPian

One begins to wonder if the Indian Auto show producers / channels have some sort of quid pro quo with the manufacturers whose vehicles are reviewed. Maybe a portion of the production cost comes from the manufacturer. Otherwise what else can explain the anchor's rattling off technical specs, and the cameras showing headlights/taillights/grille etc right out of the company's brochure?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 08:20   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I sometimes watch that show on YouTube just for the comedy (from the comments they make). That said, most of the auto shows in Malayalam channels are quite pathetic; Hot Wheels probably is the worst among them.
The same goes for Telugu version of this show. Glarring music and very hapazard miovement of camera over the vehicles.
The host finds it very difficult to pronounce those tech specs.
Never you can find any pattern followed while discussing about any vehicle.
Old 20th January 2014, 09:36   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometime back even Kannada channels started airing auto shows. It was a huge comedy piece. They used to borrow TD cars from dealers and would go on and on in exaggerating whatever was told by the dealer. Once this enthusiastic guy reviews an Indica eV2 and claims that it is the most advanced diesel engine just because it has a claimed FE of 25kmpl

They then went on describing the interiors just like how its defined on the brochure. Futuristic interiors. High quality interiors - Because its in beige. I was having a good laugh out of it. Same applies to most if the shows of channels except the media bigwigs. However the bigshots have another problem. Their reviews point out that they are already sold onto a car. Even in comparos, though they themselves speak good about car A, in the end they will finally show the best buy option as some other car. Its 'according to them' or the editors choice. I wish TBHP starts video reviews. The very detail in the reviews will be a very informative watch for both petrolheads as well a non enthusiasts.

A good example is the section on Smaller yet significant things. While the TV journos waste loads of time going around the car and explaining each design element, I feel that irritating. They describe how the doors are shaped, headlamps are wrapping about etc. We can see all that with our eyes. However no TV channel highlights the smaller aspects, like ergonomics, or wierd controls, or how close the radiator or condensor is placed to the bumper etc. Some of these things do matter.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:49   #194
Lij
BHPian

Last evening was saw Car n Bike show was being aired on NDTV. On checking it was the annual awards function. Guess what, they have so many categories, it was difficult for them to fit in one show. They just showing the winners, forget the nominees.
It was like almost all new vehicles launched last year were being awarded. I couldn't stand it and changed the channel during the first ad break and never went back
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:26   #195
BHPian

Was just watching this show on z business about the cars expected to be launched/showcased in the auto expo. I couldn't stop laughing while I was watching it.

The show was so poorly laid out. The girl hosting the show talks about the Suzuki celerio and they flash the a star on the screen, talk about the tata falcon range and flash the safari strome on the screen, talk about the i10 grand sedan and start showing the xa alpha and this was not just it! Highly unprofessional I must say.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks