Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 12:39   #91
BHPian

Hormad Sorabjee was very good until he use to write for Auto India in late 90's.But now he has become a Honda man.And worst is Tuttu Dhawan is employed by Maruti and Honda.Most neutral is i think Sidharth Patankar of NDTV at least he has fair good knowledge of Cars.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:44   #92
Senior - BHPian

Indian car shows are just another means to advert the products of the week by the highest bidder. While comparing the cars they dont even show the cars side by side for people to make their opinion. The camera work is shoddy and hints/tips just not useful.

CNB show to me is also useless, as mentioned the presenter is in an enviable position only because he gets to drive the cars and travel, once he opens his mouth its advert again. Overdrive is selling cars as well as themselves. Poor guy was plonked on the new Pulsar 220 and he was not able to do a tight corner on the race track, they just shifted the camera and edited the scene. Talking about R8 he was just hopping mad that its the daily commute super car. Nothing on the chassis or the engine. Engine = sounds good = smooth. Gears are something of a mystery for these guys. PDK or Dual clutch are the only terms they know. I see that they try to copy all what is being said on the international shows about the cars and not even try to localize the content. Once a civic was tested by a presenter in Malaysia before being launched in India. He goes gaga over the 2.2 lt engine and once it was in launched in India he has the exact same thing for Indian civic, with the dynamics and controls and power. He skipped the suspension and for that matter detuned engine due to the quality of fuel used in Malaysia vis-a-vis India.

Why do I watch these sad commercials is because I try to study the impact of whats been said on TV has direct relation to what people talk about on roads and the impact of numbers of units sold by each manufacturer. i10 was the perfect car till Ritz was shown on these channels. I see a marked difference of numbers of Ritz rolling out, asked a buyer and he said he was impressed by the Overdrive review.

I however count Top gear to be the best show for cars no matter if they are biased towards reviews of only the exotics and super cars.

Get torrent and download those latest running shows for current seasons
Old 11th September 2009, 13:06   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I however count Top gear to be the best show for cars no matter if they are biased towards reviews of only the exotics and super cars.

Get torrent and download those latest running shows for current seasons
Oh you can watch online. Its pretty easy; type top gear followed by the season and episode numbers. Make sure you do this with Google's advanced search. The Chinese links will always work!
Old 11th September 2009, 13:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

before joining teambhp i used to watch autocar, overdrive and car n bike show, but then havent seen them or even remember what time they appear now.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nothing beats today's edition of the auto show on CNBC's Awaz channel.
This guy was testing a Porsche Carrera S. He comes up with statements like, "Like all European cars, this one has low ground clearance." and "Despite a price tag of Rs. 73 lakhs, it can't even carry 3 persons."
Hilarious! I am surprised I'd never seen this thread before. Every bit is true: Each show is one worse than the other. Shame that channels air this tripe.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:28   #96
BHPian

Tutu dhawan in fact is always unable to answer any querries, he just describes the available options but never distinguishes them. At the end he leaves all upon the he/she who asked the question. Actually i always when i see him.

High end car prices are always wrong.
Advertisement showcasing time is more than the show airing time.
Its not mostly the anchor's information about the car, but an involvement of the channel's info as well, which is so unrefined.

I hardly watch these programs because they are highly .

I only tune them if there is any exotic on the show, which is very rare by far.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:37   #97
BHPian

T-BHP reviews are far superior than most of the India Auto magazines and the Tv shows.
I have stopped seeing any of the TV-Auto shows for that matter.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:39   #98
MCR
BHPian

The overdrive 11th Annivarsary show on TV was also Pathetic. The Test Drivers(Read Sirish Chandran & Compnay) were just putting themselves on the TV. Also, In th eentire review very few words were reserved for Indica Vista.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen any shows like these since mid 2007. Boring, monotonous to say the least.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:45   #100
BHPian

I stopped reading ACI after Honda Jazz test drive report which clearly showed they are trying to promote Jazz though it is highly priced. (No offense to Jazz owners)

I have one question when Jazz is 77% localized and with 1.2 engine and less than 4 meter by getting all the benefits how can they price so high .
Old 11th September 2009, 14:57   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Hormad Sorabjee was very good until he use to write for Auto India in late 90's.But now he has become a Honda man.And worst is Tuttu Dhawan is employed by Maruti and Honda.Most neutral is i think Sidharth Patankar of NDTV at least he has fair good knowledge of Cars.
+1 to that Parimal.

I have been avid reader or Auto India during my school days but not anymore. Hormaz Sorabjee was quite impressive to read but not so much to watch on the TV.

I stopped watching any car show after watching an episode each of Car'n'bike show on some channel adn on next day Used Car show. It was like; why I wasted half an hour There are better things to do like browsing T-BHP instead. it has lots of valuable info and actual road tests.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:07   #102
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
NDTV Good Times new show "It all about my wheels honey" is pretty okay for a watch. I liked Tutu Dhawans interview in the last weeks episode.
Isnt he the guy who shoehorned old toyota engines into Gypsies or am I confusing him with another chap?
Old 12th September 2009, 13:02   #103
BHPian

no tv show can come close to topgear.
Old 12th September 2009, 13:20   #104
BHPian

I think Auto shows on Indian TV are framed primarily keeping the masses in mind who grade cars based merely on their asthetics rather on the technical portion.
Thats why these so called auto experts who hosts these shows talk more about the vehicle looks,colour options,the fabric color,dashboard asthetics,cabin room space,and steering looks... Really pathetic!!! Most technical information expected from them would be the engine variants its BHP and torque...SOS!!
Old 12th September 2009, 13:37   #105
Senior - BHPian

Recipe for today's car shows:
  1. Rata rataya dialogues
  2. Only concentration on aesthetics
  3. behenji hosts
  4. camera shake and tilt
  5. celebrity meets driving mass cars
  6. Q and A with zero output
  7. free passes (channel pays for expenses) to these guys at major auto shows globally where we can only dream of
  8. we sit like idiots and watch them and drool over the cars
The only answer: Team-bhp show on doordarshan.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks