Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 21:19   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post
but yea i can bring my direction experience and kick in the basics, we could have video reviews of cars done here, we could have videos of modded cars, and gurus speak up about ICE

as visuals are always better than plain text, if members here in bbay are up for it, then lets plan a meet and decide. we could do a pilot by TD 1 car for beginners lets see how it turns out and we could have a video section on TBHP. to hell with the stupid television shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
T
TBHP going live is not a bad idea, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Actually launching a show seems a very nice idea....As all of us being a part of this great forum with a lot of info exchange.......True feedback and review could be given to the media......India's own top notch show....by the petroheads.....
I'm not going to discourage you - but I'll say this - it's not easy to produce a TV show and get it to air on a major channel.

But I'll be watching this discussion with great interest.
Old 24th September 2007, 13:00   #47
BHPian

Honest Feedback

Has anyone in this forum tried to write to these pathetic shows and give an honest feedback about their qualilty? Any suggestions on how they can improve their show?

I agree not all channel will welcome our suggestions, but even if we make one channel/show rethink their strategy, it could make a difference making the rest of channels to follow.

OR

All of us can target one show, say NDTV Profit. All of us will write a feedback(email) to this show. With huge amount of emails pouring in, in their inbox, who knows they might take this seriously and improve the basics of their show!

What do you say people?
Old 25th September 2007, 13:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Headlines Today's autoshow "Wheelspin" had a Frankfurt Auto show special this week and they go and put their foot in their mouth by saying that Fiat will launch the Fiat 500 in India in 2009.
Old 26th September 2007, 20:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'm not going to discourage you - but I'll say this - it's not easy to produce a TV show and get it to air on a major channel.

But I'll be watching this discussion with great interest.
true! - if you read my post carefully, i said lets make it for the web

t-bhp show for t-bhp users

user reviews etc in video linked like a you tube gallery
yes its investment of time from our side

i am ready o put in that much if people are up for it on weekends
we can plan it out

i say theres no harm in trying

sure a channel could refer us at a given date or probably pick the format which in turn will land up making them better, but whos complaigning

any one still up for it ??
Old 27th September 2007, 01:00   #50
Team-BHP Support

Well it sure possible.
diggnation started as just a simple podcast, and look at it now!
Old 28th September 2007, 00:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Recipe for another yet another mundane Indian car show :

1. Indian girl in short skirts - Knowledge of cars entirely unnecessary.
2. Good animation and intro music. Lift from any 1990 techno song
3. Additional Indian girl in short skirt. 1st girl covers cars. This one will do bikes.
4. Information clipped from news channels.
5. Good camera work on different angles of the car.
6. 10 p.m. slot on popular tv channel.
7. Yet another girl in tight attire or a short skirt
8. Bharat Petroleum "Speed" ads every 5 minutes.
9. Mention the top speed and fuel efficiency of every new car.
10. Finale on "what we will cover next week" by another chick in short skirts.

Its as simple as that.

But where is the real stuff i.e. FIRST HAND CAR INFORMATION!!

GTO
hahaha... hillarious... but very true... car shows here don't cover much info. beacuse more than half of the viewers won't understand the detailed specs, and the guys from the channels don't know squat themselves!!
guys here ask them questions, "i wanna buy a superb, but how can i get great mileage from it?" a 100cc bike is all they need, that too with alloy wheels...
Old 9th February 2009, 10:36   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rarely does one come across a good car show on Indian television, but I was pleasantly surprised with Times Drive. It was definitely worth a 30 minute watch on sunday evening! The Linea drive was good, but whoever tested the Fiesta 1.6 (don't remember his name) was a true car guy. It was obvious. Even the anchor had a level of energy, with her puffing up & down nariman point.

Special mention for the scriptwriter who has done a fantastic job. The language used was exemplary....totally with "the times" (pun intended).
Old 9th February 2009, 10:54   #53
BHPian

The only good show I saw is the Top Gear which used to come in BBC. Saw the review of new Fiesta hatchback for UK, where Jeremy drives the fiesta inside a Shopping mall and he is chased my another guy in a Corvette. It may look unnecessary, they really show how good the fiesta handles. Hats off to them for coming with refreshing bright ideas to test a car. I've always found it entertaining and funny, and above all informative.

Among the Indian shows CNB is the only one which hasnt lost the quality though there is nothing refreshing its ok. Some how it doesn't feel like the review is done by a person least bothered about the car.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:20   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but I was pleasantly surprised with Times Drive
So was I , this show along with Overdrive are open and are critical instead of raving over every small point. - even slammed the Transform as a driver's car. ACI praises everything. Notice how every comparative test is barely half a star betwen the two
Old 9th February 2009, 11:21   #55
BHPian

Unless like the BBC (TopGear) you are funded by public license fee its pretty difficult to be unbiased as an individual journalist in a media environment in which content is incidental and ad revenue the driver. This of course extends beyond car shows and is a global issue really.

There is little possibility that any of the individual journos can afford to be critical even if they wanted to, that will piss of the manufacturer with big ad budgets and that has consequences.

Of course most of the journos also appear little informed about cars and the sort of info folks here would appreciate. Thus most of the content is amateurish, superficial and barely critical. Everything is usually good or acceptable.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:34   #56
BHPian

Here in Mallu-land, we have an auto-show in Manorama TV. I think Fast Track. I remember the guy test-driving an accord once. He was saying: "Speaking about the power of this vehicle, this car is very powerful." Powerful, compared against what? An 800? A Camry? I cannot fathom how he came to this conclusion driving around in a crowded NH? Oh.. he might have looked in the brochure! Then with his usual flair, he describes the lenght of the vehicle, 4xxx mm, and width xxxx mm, as if that was an inside info. And as someone'd mentioned before, he just reels off the facts as if there's a teleprompter with the tech-specs on front of him.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:22   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Headlines Today's autoshow "Wheelspin" had a Frankfurt Auto show special this week and they go and put their foot in their mouth by saying that Fiat will launch the Fiat 500 in India in 2009.
What do you say now ? The Fiat 500 was launched in 2008 itself.

One of the few predictions these people got right!!
Old 9th February 2009, 12:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Here in Mallu-land, we have an auto-show in Manorama TV. I think Fast Track. I remember the guy test-driving an accord once. He was saying: "Speaking about the power of this vehicle, this car is very powerful." Powerful, compared against what? An 800? A Camry?

The auto shows done in the mallu- land is hopeless. One cannot stop laughing after seeing them speak. There will be lot of music and they show the car from all the stupid angles and as u said all the crappy things about length , width and height. Why on earth are they portraying these things, when they are not saying anything other than what is mentioned in the brochure.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:23   #59
BHPian

How car you say that Indian car shows are pathetic? I had recently visited one show held in Bangalore and it was mind blowing. The show displayed all the new cars in the Indian car market along with those that are lined up for launch in near future. There I could also see many innovations that may redefine the future of car industry. There are many good car shows held in India. I think the one held in Mumbai was the largest international show.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Funny part is that this thread was created in 2005 and now we are in 2009, and still these shows seem to be pathetic...lol

Partly we have to blame it on cars as well.. How many new launches do we see in a year ?

that too most of the new offerings by most of the makers have only minor changes like new and improved(!!) headlamps or tail lamps..

What will those poor guys show when the fact is that the auto makers have just changed only the headlamps or front grill ?

As our cars catch up with international scene(we are seeing now a days) i am sure the shows too will improve(not just national, even regional shows!!!)

But its a nice timepass reading through the posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks