Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2013, 00:50   #151
BHPian

Re: Indian 'Car' shows on TV are PATHETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
What do you mean excited?Do you always like dull and boring reviews and did you see renuka's ecosport review?She obviously was over exaggerating how good the car was,maybe due to some arrangement with Ford.
No I don't like dull and boring reviews, infact my favorite show is Top Gear UK. Have already written that due to Renuka's style, the viewer is never involved with her.

PS : I don't trust reviews which are plain bore or overly gushing because the former suggests the reviewer him/herself is not interested in the car and the latter suggests some quid-pro-quo.
Old 30th June 2013, 03:02   #152
BHPian

After reading this thread I feel extremely happy that I don't watch a single car show other than Top Gear. It needn't be said that there is no show in India even remotely comparable to this British one.

Another side to the story is that I feel, there is no need for any TV show for cars. Fine, you can watch the YouTube videos of the car your're about to buy, but that's it. The opinions of a TV show host cannot be taken as something solid on which to base your purchase decision.

What really matters is the opinion of the people who have actually bought and used the car for some time. This is where Team BHP comes in and is what leads to its huge success.
Old 30th June 2013, 05:02   #153
BHPian

Siddharth Vinayak Patankar is all gas & little substance. Spends 75% of the review talking about exterior styling and interior plastics. Comments about the handling while driving in a straightline. Most of the time is on paid trips talking about products which may or may not make it to our shores and even if they do they will be extremely overpriced on account of steep import duties.

Shereen Bhan of overdrive with her extremely irritating fake accent gets on my nerves big time.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 30th June 2013 at 05:05.
needforspeed88 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:17   #154
BHPian

Lots of votes for Top Gear here i see. Quite surprising, considering how irrelevant that show is to the Indian automobile scenario. While I love Top Gear and the silliness the program manages to inject into the atmosphere, i dont take it seriously. It doesnt talk about cars i can own, just three ridiculous old men (one of whom, allegedly, dyes his hair!) going gaga over expensive toys.

Fifth gear is better.

Last edited by WindRide : 2nd July 2013 at 19:21.
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:42   #155
Senior - BHPian

Is it not possible for Tbhp to at least provide content to these TV channels? Poor presentation and reviewing the EU editions and explaining how the car drives, is just too much to digest.

Or maybe have a video review and create a youtube channel for tbhp. Video is the future. Many may not have the time or patience to read the detailed tbhp reviews. But will certainly watch a 7-10 min video with ease.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd July 2013 at 19:45.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:29   #156

Having followed most of the TV shows aired in India , I guess Autocar show on UTV i is the best of the lot ... The review of each car or bike is well organised .. only thing is that the review is almost word to word similar to what gets printed in the autocarindia magazine ...
The most boring and ridiculous auto show is the Car n Bike show hosted by SVP ... he seems to be romancing with the curves and lines of the car design than gives useful information about the engine powertrain and ride and handling
rider_no46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:53   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Lots of votes for Top Gear here i see. Quite surprising, considering how irrelevant that show is to the Indian automobile scenario. While I love Top Gear and the silliness the program manages to inject into the atmosphere, i dont take it seriously. It doesnt talk about cars i can own, just three ridiculous old men (one of whom, allegedly, dyes his hair!) going gaga over expensive toys.

Fifth gear is better.
The silliness comes out of well thought out and researched data. It has to comply to BBC standards afterall. TG is one show on earth that excites, provides gyan, shows the big picture, is super humorous and gets attention from from enthusiasts and non enthusiasts alike. Fifth gear is better only when there are no more episodes of TG left to watch.
Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:42   #158
BHPian

I agree to the viewpoint expressed here that most of the shows review highly over priced cars which we ordinary folks cannot own nor can we say whether they will reach Indian shores at all. The shows which do the review of good cars which we want to buy are pathetic. The first category (C&B and the like), the second category (Zigwheels etc...) Grrrrr.....
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:30   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Tutu Dhawan is Epic on the show. He has his favorites and will tell you to buy them even if they not in the options. For Cars it's Maruti and for bikes it's Hero Honda. His reason being these cars and bikes "sabse jyaada mileage nikaalti hain" (give the best mileage).
Cant stop laughing at this...How long we have to bear Tutu Dhavan ?
Old 4th July 2013, 05:22   #160

I am not sure if I can mention this here. How many of you watch videos on YouTube by "saabkyle04". He has reviewed probably the widest range of cars on the planet. He doesn't do actual test drives but very interesting to watch. He was also featured on the news for his records.
Old 4th July 2013, 12:18   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is it not possible for Tbhp to at least provide content to these TV channels? Poor presentation and reviewing the EU editions and explaining how the car drives, is just too much to digest.

Or maybe have a video review and create a Youtube channel for tbhp. Video is the future. Many may not have the time or patience to read the detailed tbhp reviews. But will certainly watch a 7-10 min video with ease.
This is a great idea. Youtube is a great leveller - You don't need a TV channel anymore. Gearheads on Team-BHP can definitely be better than clueless people like Sid "I am so Pretty" Patankar, Shereen "fake accent" Bhan or Tutu Dhawan. A team-bhp Youtube channel is the need of the hour - you can start with a video segment of the official reviews and then try other more TopGear-ish segments.

Last edited by vishwas : 4th July 2013 at 12:22.
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 17:34   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Siddharth Vinayak Patankar is all gas & little substance. Spends 75% of the review talking about exterior styling and interior plastics. Comments about the handling while driving in a straightline. Most of the time is on paid trips talking about products which may or may not make it to our shores and even if they do they will be extremely overpriced on account of steep import duties.

Shereen Bhan of overdrive with her extremely irritating fake accent gets on my nerves big time.
Very well said on SVP and Shereen - her accent and dangling jawline does get on your nerves!
Old 21st August 2013, 21:40   #163
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwas View Post
Shereen "fake accent" Bhan
Talking of Shereen Bhan, in one of the recent episodes of Overdrive she referred to Audi S6 as the 6S !

AajTak stopped airing their show 'Chakke pe Chakka', that was also hilarious on most occasions.
Old 21st August 2013, 22:08   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post

Cant stop laughing at this...How long we have to bear Tutu Dhavan ?
Cant agree more. That old chap is so irritating. He lobbies for specific brands without any basis. On top of it the host joyneel mukherjee has all rotten knowledge about cars. He drives on smooth roads and talks about suspension and handling. Once while reviewing jazz he said swift feels more spacious. The whole show seems doctored for a purpose.
Old 21st August 2013, 23:27   #165
BHPian

Guys, you should check out the powerdrift channel on youtube.
The production values and the attention to detail is stupendous.
I ended up watching most of their reviews in one go!

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerdriftofficial

Ecosport review:
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks