Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 10:33   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Tata Nano diesel engine specs are out on turbocharger maker - Garrett's website.

Here is the image:

Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-tatananodieselenginespecifications.jpg

& link to ICB's report:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/t...website-69840/
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 12:59   #362
Senior - BHPian

Is this a wanted-leak, or a blunder-leak, or a mis-directional-leak from either garret or TATA? I am really wondering how could a vendor/supplier talk about a critical-secret info on a much looked-for (at least from TATAs perspective) car!
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 15:04   #363
Senior - BHPian

Why is the year mentioned as 2010? We are in 2013 already but still there are no signs of the engine.
Old 16th April 2013, 15:59   #364
BHPian

Tata Nano's diesel heart revealed!

A supplier to Tata has put up details of the Nano's upcoming diesel engine. The Nano diesel will feature an 800cc DICOR motor with a turbocharger to make just under 41 BHP. The Nano Diesel features the world’s first 2-cylinder turbocharged diesel, which led to the smallest-ever turbo developed by Honeywell (Garrett's Parent Company).

As is typical of forced induction, the turbocharger has resulted in a 25% increase in power, with improvements to fuel efficiency and (lower) emission levels. The tiny turbocharger has been on test since 2011.

Tata's Ace makes do with the same powerplant, albeit without a turbocharger.
Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-nano-turbo.jpg

Developing the turbocharger for the Nano's 800cc Diesel (source)
  • Packaging a turbo for a tiny 2 cylinder Diesel engine was an uphill task.
  • Challenges were specifically related to compressor surge, oil leakage, high vibrations and high thrust load due to engine pulsations. The challenges are far more pronounced when compared to a four-cylinder engine.
  • Honeywell came up with a completely new turbo design utilising a very small turbine housing with an integrated manifold.
  • A new high-efficiency, compact bearing was developed (the design being so successful that it is now being extended to larger turbo sizes as well).
Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-2cylinderdieselengine.jpg

The diesel engine is of crucial importance to Tata's efforts to revive Nano sales which have dipped alarmingly. Nano sales dropped from 4,004 units in October 2012 to just 1,507 units in the month of March this year. It's not that petrol cars don't sell in the entry-level segment; Maruti's Alto regularly crosses the 25,000 / month mark.

The Nano Diesel will need enhanced branding, marketing & sales support for a successful turnaround.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2013 at 16:46.
Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 21:36   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Is this a wanted-leak, or a blunder-leak, or a mis-directional-leak from either garret or TATA? I am really wondering how could a vendor/supplier talk about a critical-secret info on a much looked-for (at least from TATAs perspective) car!
Doing the rounds for a long time. Search for 'Nano+Honeywell' on TBhp!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th April 2013, 22:03   #366
Senior - BHPian

I think they are just tired of waiting for TATA to launch the car. They have put in a lot of hard work and would like to showcase that & their expertise for PR purposes.
Quote:

Last edited by Mpower : 16th April 2013 at 22:28.
Old 18th April 2013, 00:46   #367
BHPian

Rather than spending so much time on diesel engine, tata should have worked on an Electric nano. Nano is a perfect candidate for electric motor as it has a small size and weight and the lack of boot and power makes it a city runabout.
rock75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 01:48   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
..tata should have worked on an Electric nano.
On a Funny note, I would be dreadful of an electric nano. Even non electric nanos have been burning around, mechanical heating, flammable materials etc, this would give one more reason "electrical fault" for it to start the series! Again, with the build quality and Q inspection of TATA cars, I would not be surprised if customers report a spark or a shock while driving the car!

On a serious note, you are right that would have made them unique (the Reva is still not a full 4 seater). A small diesel + Electric Hybird may be? Good on the pocket good for the environment.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:12   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

It might be little OT, but first time in my life, today I saw a half page ad of TATA school buses 2 models, one was priced at 16.XX lacs, other at 17.XX lacs. Is Tata is now banking on commercial vehicles?

On the other hand, I think the whole concept of Nano was not as successful as Tata wanted it to be and hence estimated profits may not be anywhere near to actual ones. Hence, the initial costs of research & development that Tata incurred during the development of Nano might not have been recovered fully (??) which might be the biggest threat & deterrent of Tata launching a diesel mill (or an electric) for the Nano. With drastically reducing market share, launching & experimenting with a new concept (which will again incur a lot of cash outflow) may not be on the preferential list for the Tatas. It can be a hit or complete miss (or mess) situation, so TML is playing safely I guess. BTW, an electric Nano would be the best option IMO if Nanos have to stay but it has to be leagues ahead of the competition in most respects including battery range (kms per charge cycle) & life. Then only it can capitalize the segment.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 18th April 2013 at 13:16.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:46   #370
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nano's diesel heart revealed!

Quote:
  • A new high-efficiency, compact bearing was developed (the design being so successful that it is now being extended to larger turbo sizes as well).
Does anyone have more specifics on this?

Thanks,
R
Old 19th April 2013, 09:16   #371
BHPian

Name:  Garrett.png
Views: 5815
Size:  124.5 KB

Just noticed, TATA Nano tab has been moved out from New product list. Hope it is coincidence
Old 19th April 2013, 09:24   #372
Senior - BHPian

As expected they removed it from http://garrettbulletin.com/products!!
This makes me believe in the specifications 'leaked'.
Old 19th April 2013, 10:21   #373
BHPian

The important question is will the Nano Diesel sell ??

Because as i see it, the Nano always had a more than sufficient engine. It was its image which worked against it.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:00   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The important question is will the Nano Diesel sell ??

Because as i see it, the Nano always had a more than sufficient engine. It was its image which worked against it.
Same thought I have.

Nano petrol itself is competent product and there is enough demand for small cars in market, but still it is not selling due to poor brand perception.

TaMo should re-position diesel Nano as an upgraded product, may be something like Europa, to make any success out of it.
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:37   #375
BHPian

NANO DIESEL- Sound exciting. But will it be that exciting that is able to change the perception. India is a very price sensitive market but it did not work in NANO's favour even with its low cost.
TATA needs to provide NANO a new avataar. It will also require significant marketing skills to clear the perception around the brand NANO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks