Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 12:20   #226
BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Knowing that the petrol version can give 25 kmpl as per ARAI, 30 kmpl is something less for a 2-cylinder engine? Or am I taking things too far? There were speculations that TATA had achieved a 40 kmpl on the Diesel Nano and they were striving for 50 kmpl! Or is this 30 kmpl in city? In that case a sedate drive on empty roads should get anything close to 40 kmpl?
Well this is what Average Fuel consumption, and was quoted by a expert.
There is always a question on 40 kmpl mark. If you see other technical figures like 40 BHP power than this looks good to me. As I said earlier there is always a chance to refine it further. I will need to further ask about exact meaning of 30 to 32 kmpl.

-----------------------------------------
Drive Safe! Use Seatbelts it saves life!
Tata Indica Petrol Feb'02 - Dec'11
Tata Manza Diesel Feb'10
Tata Nano Diesel Future !!!
Old 11th January 2012, 14:16   #227
BHPian

When I started the thread in Nov 2009, that time Bosch people were telling the testing of the engine was in final stages, after nearly 2-3 years, there is no definite news. There must have been a setback in the engine development for Nano, which has prolonged the development.
Hope this year 2012, it will be introduced.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:33   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
When I started the thread in Nov 2009, that time Bosch people were telling the testing of the engine was in final stages
+1

What I heard is NANO diesel is ready to launch. They are waiting for the Petrol model to stabilize (may be due to fire incident and other issues reported).
Old 11th January 2012, 17:20   #229
Senior - BHPian

Tata needs to accept that the petrol Nano is a dud due to a number of reasons and concentrate on the diesel, just like they push the diesel versions of the Indica/Indigo/Vista/Manza. Let bygones be bygones. They need to focus on their strengths, ie, spacious yet affordable diesel cars.

As far as the external factors are concerned, what better time to have showcased the diesel? With a better strategy, the diesel Nano might just help double Nano sales. And that is a conservative estimate. So Tata, bring on that Nano CDi, power steering and all..
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:55   #230
BHPian

Bad news guys,today i spoke with a Tata Motors engineer in one of the key departments of car development and he said even though the car (Nano Diesel) is undergoing testing, it is far away from being production ready. He said that the car will not have many changes in the looks or parts per se. He expects the car to be available not before the 2nd quarter of 2013.

This is also because Tata is working on "another" refresh of Vista and Manza ( which may includes the sub 4 meter version).

Another interesting piece of info shared here is that, Tata was working on a car which was to be positioned in between the Nano and Indica/vista. He told me the codename which cannot be shared here. This car was being worked upon by the same Nano team, but last year they scrapped the project for unknown reasons.
Mr.Beat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:41   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Bad news guys,today i spoke with a Tata Motors engineer in one of the key departments of car development and he said even though the car (Nano Diesel) is undergoing testing, it is far away from being production ready. He said that the car will not have many changes in the looks or parts per se. He expects the car to be available not before the 2nd quarter of 2013.
It's possible TML is working on improving the engine's FE. It's also possible there are other unresolved issues with the engine. It'll be good for TML to sort out everything before launch beacause if even the diesel Nano fails, the jinxed Nano project will be doomed. Conversely, a successful diesel Nano could change the game for TML.

Quote:
Another interesting piece of info shared here is that, Tata was working on a car which was to be positioned in between the Nano and Indica/vista. He told me the codename which cannot be shared here.
It was known as the Dolphin project here.

Quote:
This car was being worked upon by the same Nano team, but last year they scrapped the project for unknown reasons.
Or has it been transformed into the Pixel?
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:28   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another interesting piece of info shared here is that, Tata was working on a car which was to be positioned in between the Nano and Indica/vista. He told me the codename which cannot be shared here. This car was being worked upon by the same Nano team, but last year they scrapped the project for unknown reasons.
Definitely disappointed and a bad news. The Dolphin project could have become a major volume player for Tata and even beat the invincible Alto.
Just think of a diesel car in the Alto/Eon/Spark class.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:25   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
It's possible TML is working on improving the engine's FE. It's also possible there are other unresolved issues with the engine. It'll be good for TML to sort out everything before launch beacause if even the diesel Nano fails, the jinxed Nano project will be doomed. Conversely, a successful diesel Nano could change the game for TML.

It was known as the Dolphin project here.

Or has it been transformed into the Pixel?

That's right, it is the Dolphin project Indeed. He indicated that Tata wants to work on the same Vista/indigo/Manza concept rather than develop a new one altogether.

TML does not want to risk anything with the diesel nano and hence wants to make sure that it does not come out flawless.

There is apparently a directive stating that a newly launched must have accountable elements so that root cause analysis can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Definitely disappointed and a bad news. The Dolphin project could have become a major volume player for Tata and even beat the invincible Alto.
Just think of a diesel car in the Alto/Eon/Spark class.
Yes, he was of the same opinion.

There is also no news of any development of a Etriga/Innova/Enjoy competitor as TML wants to get the safari chrome out, followed by the facelifts of vista and manza.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:02   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right, it is the Dolphin project Indeed.
So what platform is the Pixel based on? Its specs suggest it is based on the Dolphin platform.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:12   #235
BHPian

Today , I saw five Nano waiting at road side, stoped to see what's going on, it was 2012 Nano (petrol) asked the drivers about Diesel nano ,they said it will is still in testing phase. Asked about average of Diesel one of them told me that currently it is giving 40 KMPL . Other interesting information is they were crunching around 600 KM per day on different roads, inside city and on highways.
dbaapps is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 19:46   #236
BHPian

Caught this Nano on the Pune-Bang bypass.

If i remember correctly, the nano did not have the variant badge. Not sure absolutely that this was the diesel nano but it seemed to have some testing gear inside the cabin.

EDIT: It took quite sometime for the car to overtake the trucks which were doing mild speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-20120215-07.55.59.jpg  

Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-20120215-07.56.15.jpg  

Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now-20120215-07.56.30.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 16th February 2012 at 19:50.
Mr.Beat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 16:56   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Caught this Nano on the Pune-Bang bypass.

If i remember correctly, the nano did not have the variant badge. Not sure absolutely that this was the diesel nano but it seemed to have some testing gear inside the cabin.

EDIT: It took quite sometime for the car to overtake the trucks which were doing mild speeds.
Considering that it is running TN37 plates, my guess is that it is a petrol. TML works with J.Anand
Old 29th February 2012, 20:05   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Bummer:: Nano D NOT to be launched this calendar year. A 3 cylinder petrol with more power also on the anvil.
Quote:
The diesel engine too is unlikely to be introduced in this calendar year as it could disrupt the demand for the current petrol model, which has only just found traction.
Details: Tata confirms 3-cyl Nano for India - News - Autocar India

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th February 2012 at 20:06.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:36   #239
Senior - BHPian

^^

Expected! See my post on Feb 11th, I had reported that they are waiting for Petrol model to stabilize. Since Petrol model is not accepted well in India due to image (poor man's 4 wheeler!!) they are looking in to many overseas markets.

Development of CR engine development for Nano started sometime in 2008

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st March 2012 at 11:37.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:50   #240
BHPian

Hi,
For me only good thing comes out of Budget 2012-13 is there is no extra surcharge on Diesel cars. That means Tata Nano Diesel will come this year end (Hope fully)
Do you have any wish list ,mine is as follows

1. 40 KMPL, 35 BHP.
2. Well insulated cabin.
3. Around 25 Ltr of Diesel Tank.
4. Glove box (Lockable)
5. A space to store some odd things in front , like one in new Bajaj car
6. Battery moved to front
7. Better tyres (size increase)
8. Better seats.
9. Hatch is openable ,through glass will do .
10. Front seat (beams in the back) removed .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks