Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2011, 23:26   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What happened was that 'lighter and more efficient' simply didn't rate as highly on the cool-o-meter as 'faster and more powerful', and no longer sold cars for luxury brands.
Well thats what I meant by saying faded off. Thanks to another oil crisis, its back in focus now.
Old 30th April 2011, 14:27   #137
BHPian

official news coming out by Bosch on working with TML, somthing around 40km/l thats really awesome at @ Rs 1.25/km it would be really killer, & around 25 to 30% more than petrol entry level @ rs 2 lakhs would be really
outstanding.

what say friends...

Coming this year - Tata's 40km/litre diesel Nano
007 Bond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

A 40 km per litre diesel Tata Nano soon - Tata Motors

Tata Motors is planning to launch a Nano model that will run 40 kilometres on a litre of diesel, matching the mileage of a typical 180cc motorcycle.
It will be the most fuel-efficient car in India.
The launch is expected this financial year.
A senior executive of Bosch India, which is helping Tata Motors develop the engine for the model, said, "We have worked with Tata Motors for Nano's petrol version and we are working with it for the diesel version too. The car has a two-cylinder, 700cc engine which develops healthy power without compromising on fuel economy. Although official test figures have not been revealed, we expect it to run 40 km on one litre of diesel."

Full Report
A 40 km per litre diesel Tata Nano soon! - Rediff.com Business
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:31   #139
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 40 km per litre diesel Tata Nano soon - Tata Motors

IMO 40kmpl is a bit too optimistic. Even if the Diesel Nano manages a ~25kmpl, that would be healthy enough.
Two cylinder, 700cc sure is a decent enough engine for the size of a Nano. But still - 700cc generating 40kmpl? Experts- Is it really possible?
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:33   #140

This will be a nice improvement for the Nano and also a four seater and great FE improvement the other car which come to my mind is the VW L1. VW's XL1(the latest iteration) which is a tandem car and a diesel Hybrid which consumes 1ltr/100km. So looks like Tat's have come a long way in the car's development
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:40   #141
BHPian

If true that is amazing! Well, I guess Nano is about 700 kgs, and that means about 65% of the Vista. I know i am comparing apples and oranges, but the idea is, Vista does have a state of the art engine, and even if Tata can match it on the Nano, it is likely to be only as efficient as the Vista - may be a little more or less. Means, a realistic estimate is to expect 35% extra fuel efficiency. Well, it could be 5% here or there, but 40 kmpl?

My feeling is that it would be very tough to achieve an ARAI certified 40kmpl. Now - one can always engineer the test drive such that 40 is achieved, but this may be vastly different from reality as well as ARAI.

As of now, ARAI is the only standard we have that can be used to compare across products and my guess is the 40kmpl claimed is not ARAI but certain conditions that we cannot comment about.

Last edited by deep_bang : 2nd May 2011 at 16:42.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:43   #142
Senior - BHPian

Is it the same block as in Tata Ace, with an additional common rail direct injection system? If so, then it would be some 10 to 15% more efficient than Ace's engine.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:51   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
IMO 40kmpl is a bit too optimistic. Even if the Diesel Nano manages a ~25kmpl, that would be healthy enough.
Two cylinder, 700cc sure is a decent enough engine for the size of a Nano. But still - 700cc generating 40kmpl? Experts- Is it really possible?
Some time back even 20+ average was not realistic & unimaginable. So i guess with newer technology it might be possible. Again it is going to be under ideal conditions. So expect 25-30 under normal scenario.

I have seen diesel Indica giving 25 KMPL on highways if driven carefully. My friends DZire multijet also gives around 25 without AC on highways. So it might be realistic
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:05   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
official news coming out by Bosch on working with TML
Coming this year - Tata's 40km/litre diesel Nano
The Bosch source is describing the engine as 700 CC, two-cylinder whereas some other reports suggested a 900 CC, three-cylinder unit. Is Tata developing two separate engines, one for the domestic Nano and the other for Nano Europa?
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:17   #145
Senior - BHPian

We got 25+ from our Indica Vista TDi during the last long trip (Kondugalloor -Shabarimala-Kodungalloor) - half of the trip was done without a\c, and half, with a\c.

Assuming that 700cc dual cylinder nano will be about 35%-40% more efficient than Vista, a figure of 33-35 kmpl seems a very good probability. I will not wonder if they really manage 40 kmpl with this engine.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:43   #146
Senior - BHPian

I guess with the Manza running @ 46 kmpl (refer Motorbeam report - Narayanan R Menon & Tata Indigo Manza Get Into Limca Book Of Records), it is not difficult for the Nano Diesel to achieve 40 kmpl on the highways.
Old 5th May 2011, 00:32   #147
BHPian

Woo!! This is some good news. If true, it will surely help the nano climb the sales chart. I have already started thinking on whether to exchange my Nano for the diesel one as my car has been doing around 1000 kms a month! Just a wild thought - wouldn't the noise of a 2 cylinder diesel engine be bad? Hope they make it more palatable, unlike the Ace!
Old 5th May 2011, 01:40   #148
BHPian

40 kpl!! my old karizma fives the same average
Old 5th May 2011, 09:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

To really gauge how much a 2 cylinder common rail diesel can be noisy, maybe someone can take a TD of mahindra maxximo truck with C2 CRDe engine.
Old 5th May 2011, 09:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

CRDi 2 cylinders are not as annoying as their IDI cousins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks