Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 11:44   #151
BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Given the growing traffic in chennai and me having to travel close to 50 kms a day this will be a wonderful option

I also understand that Tata is working with a canadian company to bring out the CVT version of the nano.

I am more than willing to buy either the CDRi manual or the CVT even if it sounds like an Auto as long as there is not as much NVH
Old 5th May 2011, 11:59   #152
Senior - BHPian

When is this car coming!

I've got the process of convincing the family rolling - to switch to this car from the Figo . For obvious reasons everyone thinks I'm crazy. I don't think the convincing is going to be easy at all .
Old 5th May 2011, 14:39   #153
Senior - BHPian

Ho ho... a diesel coupled to a CVT transmission for under 3 lacs will be every city dwellers dream, the issue is Tata's development/gestation period. Wouldnt be suprised if the product is still a year away.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:33   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Ho ho... a diesel coupled to a CVT transmission for under 3 lacs will be every city dwellers dream, the issue is Tata's development/gestation period. Wouldnt be suprised if the product is still a year away.
If they really make such a car, I will be the first one in the queue. Diesel+hatch+CVT? What more can we ask for? A perfect in-city car.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:44   #155
BHPian

Diesel Nano to run 40 KMPL!

Check out this article in rediff. Tata is working on the Nano to run for 40KM on a single litre of diesel. Thats just over a rupee per KM

A 40 km per litre diesel Tata Nano soon! - Rediff.com Business
Old 10th May 2011, 11:11   #156
Senior - BHPian

Hope the Nano CRDi comes with better fit and finish. Interiors from the Nano Europa would make it really appealing. Even a 2.7L price tag would fetch quite a good number of customers if the product is good enough. The Indian customer has now matured and is no longer price conscious, but value conscious. Hope TATA learnt this lesson well with the Nano petrol itself.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:03   #157
Senior - BHPian

With the northward bound fuel prices especially for petrol, its so ripe for Tata to make hayday with the Nano diesel. Im stumped by the time taken by Tata to develop this variant although not sure if Tata is delaying them for other reasons.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:57   #158
Senior - BHPian

Diesel is definitely the way forward now, with petrol prices sky rocketing. The most fuel efficient Indian car tittle looks almost certain with the Nano's miniscule weight and tiny engine. But performance? Build quality?
Old 16th May 2011, 17:31   #159
BHPian

Other than for quality related issues, I think the main problem with the Nano is its marketing strategy. TATA has been focusing on the cheapest car aspect, instead of marketing it as a spacious city run-about.

I know quite a few people who have been put-off from buying a Nano because of the cheap car image its carries. When you compare the space the car has on the inside with its small footprint, it seems to make perfect sense in todays crazy traffic. The Diesel CDRI may help it get rid of its cheap car image to an extent.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:37   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Diesel is definitely the way forward now, with petrol prices sky rocketing. The most fuel efficient Indian car tittle looks almost certain with the Nano's miniscule weight and tiny engine. But performance? Build quality?
This is nit-picking. You want the car for free? And you want 40 kmpl with a 200kmph top speed? No matter what Tata will do, there will always be these kind of posts on T-bhp. Go sit in an ARIA and see what build quality is all about. You still live in 1998, my friend. So far no competitor is even trying a Nano. Sadly enough the car is'nt doing as well as it should partly due to resistance-to-change-until-neighbours-friends-and-relatives-okay-it Indian mentality(in my shorter lingo, plain stupid) and partly due to the ill-timed fire accidents. No one is trying to emulate it, but in the long run it will have its market.

I think the answer to your question is in the Pixel. But whatever, TML always creates a market for itself. It's not as if build quality is the greatest with all other manufacturers.
Old 16th May 2011, 18:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
This is nit-picking. You want the car for free? And you want 40 kmpl with a 200kmph top speed? No matter what Tata will do, there will always be these kind of posts on T-bhp. Go sit in an ARIA and see what build quality is all about. You still live in 1998, my friend. So far no competitor is even trying a Nano. Sadly enough the car is'nt doing as well as it should partly due to resistance-to-change-until-neighbours-friends-and-relatives-okay-it Indian mentality(in my shorter lingo, plain stupid) and partly due to the ill-timed fire accidents. No one is trying to emulate it, but in the long run it will have its market.

I think the answer to your question is in the Pixel. But whatever, TML always creates a market for itself. It's not as if build quality is the greatest with all other manufacturers.
I do not expect 200 kmph top speed! But a decent drivability. Is that too much to ask? I'm not picking TATA, but they aren't as good as their rivals when it comes to build quality was my point. Indian customer has matured and price is no longer the only thing he looks for. Case point being the petrol Nano dear friend!
Old 16th May 2011, 19:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I do not expect 200 kmph top speed! But a decent drivability. Is that too much to ask? I'm not picking TATA, but they aren't as good as their rivals when it comes to build quality was my point. Indian customer has matured and price is no longer the only thing he looks for. Case point being the petrol Nano dear friend!
I dont know why you mentioned build quality. I have a 19000 km run Vista (2010 model) which does not even squeak (touch wood). The build quality has improved drastically. Try comparing the Nano to a Santro (old model) and you will see a better guage of metal as well. When you talk about the build quality not as good as rivals (which is ) can you please make a decent apples to apples comparison. E.g: Build quality of Manza compared to Dezire. Vista compared to Swift/ Ritz.

Another question - What is the definition of 'Build quality'.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:06   #163
Senior - BHPian

Ah! Now I'm under attack Sorry guys no offence meant, I am not picking examples, but I have heard that the plastic quality of the Nano is to be upgraded, hatch added (rear windshield would open), seat adjusters added and general 'fit and finish' improved. So I meant to ask if those would make it to the Diesel Nano or is that face lift scheduled for a later date. I dint mean to offend anyone or pick on TATA guys, If I had offended anyone, its purely unintentional and I sincerely apologise for that guys

Last edited by aravind.anand : 16th May 2011 at 20:08. Reason: typographical error.
Old 16th May 2011, 21:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

If people are circumspect of their quality, its only Tata to blame. Its upto them to work towards removing that notion and even then there will be plaenty who will not be convinced.

The Nano has still a long future ahead of it and still no real rival. Ever since people have been reassured regarding the various 'issues' and provided a 4 year warranty the numbers are there to see.

The potential of the Nano diesel isliterally explosive, the only people who can muck this up is Tata themselves.
Old 17th May 2011, 00:03   #165
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a Tata Indica for the past 8 years. I have not faced many problems so as to say the build quality is inferior. Sure, it has its share of problems, like weak wheel rims which bend easily, suspension which needs wheel alignment frequently. My only serious grouse is about suspension setup. Ofcourse, I have not used vehicles of other brands as extensively, so I cannot compare. I can only say I am not dissatisfied with Tata.

Nano was a victim of its own price. The car was targeted at middle class and was projected as a very affordable car, an alternative to 2-wheeler. As most of us associate a car ( even an entry level one) as a social symbol, the projection that it is cheap car boomeranged.

As for Nano CRDI (may be a DICOR in Tata-speak), it sure looks promising. It is upto Tata to position it aptly. Here they may have some free hand vis-a-vis pricing as the cheapest diesel is from their own stable (the Indica or Venture) and they cost about 4.5-5 lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks