Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 20:04   #106
BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Whoa! 40KMPL? If this is true Tata can add me on the list right away, I already own a Nano petrol and I love it, wouldn't mind a diesel one too.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:55   #107
BHPian

Re: Bubble Buster: Tata Nano will have a DI Diesel Engine delivering 40 KMPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Dear BHPians,

The Tata Nano Diesel will arrive in late 2011 with a triple cylinder direct injection Diesel engine based on the Tata Ace's diesel engine. The biggest selling point of this engine would be the phenomenal fuel efficiency of 40 KMPL. This engine has been tested by Tata and they have achieved this kind of fuel efficiency. All this news is from my trusted source at TML.

Cheers,

Jay
I remember previously hearing that Bosch had developed the diesel engine for Nano. But not sure why ace engine is being used instead.

Do you know why this was changed?
Old 31st January 2011, 11:00   #108
BANNED

Cylinder config please as ACE is single pod and Nano is parallel twin, good to have small twin diesel motor around as have plans to install in friends Diesel Bullet which is running Lamborghini 3.5HP diesel motor and vibrates a lot.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:02   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

The Tata Nano Diesel will arrive in late 2011 with a triple cylinder direct injection Diesel engine based on the Tata Ace's diesel engine. The biggest selling point of this engine would be the phenomenal fuel efficiency of 40 KMPL. This engine has been tested by Tata and they have achieved this kind of fuel efficiency. All this news is from my trusted source at TML.

Cheers,

Jay
How can the motor be a DI? Its an indirect injection, in fact the Ace's diesel is a half cut version of Indica's 475 IDI diesel motor with 2 cylinders christened the 275 IDI.
Normal DI diesel motors are old school and extremely heavy for a lightweight car like the nano. Hope the reverse is true for the nano diesel.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:08   #110
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

40 kmpl translating into an effective 30kmpl for real life usage would be a big big game changer.

Move over Alto and team.

I do bet on the nano in the long run.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:52   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Cylinder config please as ACE is single pod and Nano is parallel twin, good to have small twin diesel motor around as have plans to install in friends Diesel Bullet which is running Lamborghini 3.5HP diesel motor and vibrates a lot.
Ace engine is a twin cylinder. Half of Indica 4 pot.
Old 31st January 2011, 20:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
How can the motor be a DI? Its an indirect injection, in fact the Ace's diesel is a half cut version of Indica's 475 IDI diesel motor with 2 cylinders christened the 275 IDI.
Normal DI diesel motors are old school and extremely heavy for a lightweight car like the nano. Hope the reverse is true for the nano diesel.
It is more likely to be a CRDI engine. I do not think a normal DI engine would be able to comply with the current and to - be introduced emission norms.

As for the block itself, Tata would have taken the block and re-designed head and all the necessary assortments to make it a CRDI, or rather a DICOR in Tata-speak.

Would be interesting to see whether it gives more mileage with a decent pick-up. To think of it, it is almost 600 cc lesser than the current smallest diesel engine ( am I right on this?).

Last edited by simplyself : 31st January 2011 at 20:55.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:04   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
kindly note the starting thread, the BOSCH fuel system is CRDI,with 36 kW, I had seen the cross-section of the fuel section displayed an year back. They were trying to simplify few systems for cost reductions.
Must have near completion of trials and market launch.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:08   #114
BHPian

there was a lot of buzz with statements from bosch et al stating that a tiny crdi unit was indeed under tests. if they're going for the ACE unit, it means the crdi unit didn't work out well. I'm certainly eager on a diesel nano. paint it in racing yellow for me please!
Old 31st January 2011, 21:18   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Oh My God! Diesel Bullet has Lombardini (made in India by Greaves) diesel engine.

I hope Ferruccio Lamborghini is dead. Otherwise he would have suicided right away.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

A 4 seater car with 50km/l would be another feather in the hat for Tata! Hope that really comes true!
Old 31st January 2011, 21:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Oh My God! Diesel Bullet has Lombardini (made in India by Greaves) diesel engine.

I hope Ferruccio Lamborghini is dead. Otherwise he would have suicided right away.
Are Lombardini and Lamborghini one and the same? I dont think so.

As far as I know, Lombardini is involved in farm equipments and the like. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 31st January 2011, 22:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The biggest selling point of this engine would be the phenomenal fuel efficiency of 40 KMPL. This engine has been tested by Tata and they have achieved this kind of fuel eff
That would be a new world record. But realistically speaking we can expect 25 kpl city FE.
Old 1st February 2011, 08:51   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
A 4 seater car with 50km/l would be another feather in the hat for Tata! Hope that really comes true!
With Nano's weight and the diesel engine 50kmpl should be a possibility. It would be very close to a miracle if TML achieves it. The best way to do would be to invest (if not already invested) in a world class engine line - similar to the Ford's ecoboost and Hyundai's Nu. Now that is wishful thinking
Old 1st February 2011, 14:50   #120
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
With Nano's weight and the diesel engine 50kmpl should be a possibility. It would be very close to a miracle if TML achieves it. The best way to do would be to invest (if not already invested) in a world class engine line - similar to the Ford's ecoboost and Hyundai's Nu. Now that is wishful thinking
It is an all new engine. Injection developed by Bosch and the engine developed by FEV.

the fuel consumption of 40kpl shouldn't be an issue. Even the discontinued Lupo 3l achieved an average of 42kpl with a much heavier kerb weight and a higher specific engine output. The ECO version of the new Lupo scheduled for 2012 is said to more than double that. The Nano is much lighter than the new Lupo, ahs got a lower specific power output and an engine with less internal friction. It should easily achieve it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks