Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 15:07   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A nano auto would Exceed all auto requirements and most Taxi ones as well. (Except Luggage Space.)
For this, front seat could be offered as a flip top so that some space can be freed for luggage.

When I read auto in your post, I first thought you intended an AT. Now would that not be fun
Old 5th October 2011, 13:15   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

I know a friend who is working on Nano interiors, according to him they are testing the diesel extensively, even trying to fit the engine up front.
Fitting the diesel engine in the front of a nano is unimaginable. I do not think TM will try that. It will be a rear engine only. It will not be the same ACE engine. ACE is having a speed limit of 55-60 kmph and mileage of about 20 kmpl. What is proposed for nano is a CRDI unit with top speed reaching 100 kmph and mileage 40 kmpl.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Diesel nano is rear engine only. There were few prototypes in Bangalore, it went back to TATA to fix some issues.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:53   #199
Senior - BHPian

Actually thats a great idea. Not only should the front seats be foldable, the rear bench should be foldable to a flat bed. Then it can carry in varied combinations such as Driver + 2 rear pax with luggage in front left OR Driver + 1 pax and more luggage space in the back. Now that will be a versatile Nano even without a boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For this, front seat could be offered as a flip top so that some space can be freed for luggage.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:52   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Nano diesel powered by a sub-1-litre diesel motor could give the diesel market a further big boost

I now throw open this to our esteemed friends to discuss the significance of the Nano Diesel option and any other alternative that will fit my friend’s bill.
Your "esteem-ed" friend here drives a 7-year-old Esteem Di 2004. If your friend were to buy a pre-owned Maruti Esteem Di from an individual, he would probably get it for 1-1.5 lakh (I was quoted 80k to 1 lakh for it) with a servicing expense of under Rs.3.5k every 3 months (assuming regular service every 6 months, with provision for a repair after 3 months as it's pre-owned) if it is run the same distance as his/her bike. It's not new and driven out of the showroom, but the price is just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I may be wrong but a Nano diesel is taking things a little too far. I think the Nano diesel may sound very much like this. I can't live with this type of racket.
A Nano sounds good for a short trip to buy groceries but I wouldn't mind spending on the petrol for such short trips. A Nano diesel comes with a 30 kmpl mileage so would probably be more of a long distance crawler (safe at 80kmph... any faster and body roll makes it unsafe - the pics from the AutoCarIndia post shows the height of the Nano compared to other hatchbacks). However, with the infamous TASS I wouldn't want a Nano. I've seen the link you've sent for the thread on AutoCarIndia that had a post about the relay short-circuit. It was due to the service at TASS rather than the Nano itself. The heat generation is a safety concern.

The noise from a diesel engine? Yes, that is indeed something that makes you want to put on a pair of in-ear earphones. The noise can be kept out of the cabin with noise dampening material but it would still be noisy compared to a petrol vehicle. Either way, try this - open the hood of an old Maruti Zen or Esteem Di, turn on the vehicle and sit in the driver's seat with the windows closed. It is audible but not loud enough to be annoying with all the sound insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
In Nano, Yes rear end ( Outside )does get warm, and when i bought the Nano on day 1 thought that the rear bumper might melt, but 4000+ kms on all sorts of roads. One thing is for sure, it will not have ACE's diesel unit, else they will spend more on insulating that one.
The 2-cylinder CRDi engine would be the same kind as that on the Indica minus two cylinders (think of it as half of an Indica engine). In the early hours of a winter morning, it should run perfectly well giving you another reason to wake up early.
Old 6th October 2011, 19:59   #201
Senior - BHPian

Agreed that Esteem Di / Zen Di would be good pre-owned buys, but as per my understanding goes these two sold most in AP which has been a very diesel heavy market for a long time but you hardly spot any these in Blr. Nano D becomes relevant all over again because of these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Your "esteem-ed" friend here drives a 7-year-old Esteem Di 2004. If your friend were to buy a pre-owned Maruti Esteem Di from an individual, he would probably get it for 1-1.5 lakh (I was quoted 80k to 1 lakh for it) with a servicing expense of under Rs.3.5k every 3 months (assuming regular service every 6 months, with provision for a repair after 3 months as it's pre-owned) if it is run the same distance as his/her bike. It's not new and driven out of the showroom, but the price is just right.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:11   #202
Senior - BHPian

According to reports in some websites Tata Nano diesel's fuel economy would be around 30kmpl which would be one of its biggest selling point. Now considering a city mileage of 25 kms assuming the cost of diesel at Rs.45 per litre which transaltes to less than Rs.2 per km and that would be the most economical runabout by a long way!

Quoted from- Exclusive: Tata Nano diesel details revealed | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in

'The Tata Nano diesel test mules are returning a consistent fuel economy figure between 30-34 kmpl on their highway runs. The sources tell us that the ARAI fuel economy figure could be close to 30 kmpl!'
Old 31st October 2011, 12:48   #203
BHPian

D or not Nano needs to work on its USP the 'Price'. While the petrol variant is close to 2 Lahks, where the Also takes over, if the D-Version of the Nano is < 2.5 only then it will be a game changer ! Reliability is a must ofcourse.
Old 17th November 2011, 12:05   #204
Senior - BHPian

Good to see a lot of positive buzz back on the much loved Nano, read the upgrades for the 2012 model - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pg-7-a-7.html, it seems that the Diesel version is finally picking up some news. Reports in various auto sites suggest its launch in the first quarter of 2012 incorporating all the present upgrades to the 2012 Nano petrol like improved seat cushioning, new upholstery with new color combinations, new paint colours, anti-roll bar, revised suspension settings and yes Power Steering.

With the petrol clocking an average of 8-10k since a couple of months, with the D launch, it should at least touch 15k and 20k on the higher side. We all know how Tata can bring up an ace with its D variants but they have to seriously buckle up with their service even if they dream to sustain such big numbers. Are you listening TML?
Old 12th December 2011, 22:38   #205
BHPian

What will happen to the sales numbers of Tata Nano Diesel if the Govt is planning to tax all the diesel cars with 75K additional Diesel Surtax.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:43   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
What will happen to the sales numbers of Tata Nano Diesel if the Govt is planning to tax all the diesel cars with 75K additional Diesel Surtax.
The amount should be a percentage based on the price range. So the government could start the bracket well over 2.5L ex showroom or so which will see the Nano getting the exemption. Also it doesn't make sense for a Swift D/ Safari / BMW 3 series / Audi A6 owner paying the same 75K right? Each bracket will either have the same percentage of differential percentage of diesel tax I guess.
Old 13th December 2011, 00:23   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The amount should be a percentage based on the price range..
I would say it SHOULD be inversely proportional to the fuel efficiency (as certified by the gov agency), not based on the price of the vehicle. More fuel efficient vehicle (Nano @25km/l) should pay less. It would be even better to exempt vehicles with higher fuel efficiency (say25 km/l) which will encourage the manufactures to improve fuel efficiency.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:45   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The amount should be a percentage based on the price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I would say it SHOULD be inversely proportional to the fuel efficiency (as certified by the gov agency), not based on the price of the vehicle.
Do I see a difference in all our various rational thoughts. As far as I have observed while government imposes tax on certain things, such rationalistic considerations are not taken care in true sense. Only certain business houses or large enough associations only have upper hand in influencing the govt officials to change the bills.

If such things were taken with good rationalistic decision, then the taxes on Electric vehicles would have been least and Diesel Petrol inequality would not have existed. Similarly, the price would have been same for the same car in US, India, Europe.

I know some of you would not agree and would like to debate on this topic but it would start and end like just any other controversial topic as it might not sound rational in your minds. If you were to think in the rational mood of the statemen, then you need to wear those helmets and think. The objective for the statesmen is that diesel should be used only for commerical usage which would have an impact over the increasing inflation .
Old 17th December 2011, 21:49   #209
BHPian

I hope Tata to present the Nano Diesel in Auto Expo 2012. I will immediately buy one, ONLY IF TATA HAS MADE THE REAR OF NANO OPENABLE. This is an essential requirement for making the nano a family car.
Old 18th December 2011, 20:36   #210
Senior - BHPian

If at all there is an additional tax/surcharge on diesel vehicles, it may most likely be that the sub-4 metre parameter.

Also, what about the taxi cabs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks