Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 11:15   #91
BHPian

ok. So I am being forced to buy a nano for the sis before buying a fiesta/linea for myself. Any news on the diesel mill nano?
Old 6th August 2010, 13:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

Guess no Diesel Nano before 2011.. :(
Old 6th August 2010, 13:49   #93
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps Tata is trying to juice the existing demand for the Petrol variant and then play the Diesel trump if demand settles.

Boy, just cant imagine the kind of mileage figures this compact Diesel will deliver. I think once our fuel prices are removed from Govt. subsidy, which will relatively mean that fuel prices will shoot up, the demand for Diesels will only increase. This is visible in Europe where Diesel is the preferred choice for family cars, especially due to better FE, torque and lower CO2 emissions. Until and unless Petrol becomes as cheap in the US or the Mid East, which will never happen!!
Old 6th August 2010, 19:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

The diesel will definately push nano prices to the 2.5 lakh level.At which point you wonder whether it is still VFM.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

I think we should be expecting a 50k rise at the most for each model, but even at 2.5 lacs the next closest Diesel again from Tata is Rs.1 lac away. Nano will also hold a huge advantage in FE figures over other small diesels, that alone is a huge USP in India.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:12   #96
BHPian

Agreed with shortbread, the price would go up by 50 to 60K, because 2.5 lacs just doesn't make sense for nano. At that price whole purpose of nano will be lost. I think it would be around 2 lacs for diesel heart.
Btw, I too think diesel nano is still far away, even if it is fully developed tata won't launch it till they get all their investment out from petrol nano.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:33   #97
BHPian

CRDI release only after second round of Nano Petrol

I strongly feel that CRDI will be announced only after second rounds of Petrol Nano booking and off the shelf sale starts. Since No one can book the Nano in showroom, the euphoria could die.

So strategically CRDI announcement will makes sense for Tata to launch it only after making the Petrol available off the shelf.

Last edited by TeddyBear : 6th August 2010 at 20:35.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:34   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The diesel will definately push nano prices to the 2.5 lakh level.At which point you wonder whether it is still VFM.
I think the pricing of diesel variants at 1 lakh higher is just a business decision to take advantage of customers willing to use the cheaper diesel for fuel.

So, TML could be the first to price the petrol and diesel variants closer to each other. As others have also stated anything more than Rs.2 Lakhs would be so much against the philosophy of NANO. However due to lack of competition at that price point, it could still be a good business decision to price it at Rs. 2.5 lakhs.

So, it is easy to argue both ways. But TML has a track record of competitively pricing all of their new launches in the last 3 years or so. So one can expect them to continue the trend.
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Media Coverage :: SIAM

Quote:
Tata Motors will roll out the diesel version of the Nano with an extra-powerful micro turbo engine next year or early 2012, a top engine parts vendor said.

The diesel Nano will sport a sub-1,000 cc engine, but the output and performance will be 20-30% better than is usual for that engine size, said Shane Tedjarati, president & CEO, China & India, of Honeywell, which has developed turbo systems for the worlds cheapest car. The micro turbo engine of the diesel Nano has already been developed and its production is being scaled up to make India the hub for micro turbo diesel technology, he said.

The improved performance of the micro turbo has allowed the Nano to sport an engine 30% smaller. The Nano will sport one of the smallest turbo systems in the world, said Mr Tedjarati.

The diesel Nano, he said, would have been launched earlier but got pushed back due the delay on account of moving its mother plant from Singur to Sanand.

The diesel Nano will be a crucial part of Tata Motors engine strategy for its next generation of products.

The company has invested heavily in its engine development programmes, partnering with global engine solution providers such as AVL, FEV and Ricardo.

The engine strategy includes both incremental improvement to the existing range as well as new platforms which are on the anvil, said PM Telang, managing director, India operations, Tata Motors.

The engine strategy spans from very small platforms to the 6,000 cc engine used in the truck range. The larger engines come from our joint venture with Cummins but for smaller vehicles we look at sourced families, Mr Telang said.

Apart from the diesel Nano, Tata Motors has announced that it is working on a hybrid version of the car.

Tata dealers will open fresh Nano bookings for the festival season by the end of this month. Nano bookings were frozen last April after the company received more than 2 lakh orders.

Honeywells Pune factory, which exports 80% of what it produces, focuses on engine capacities ranging from 700 cc to 1,700 cc. These micro turbo systems are exported to small car markets globally including continental Europe and emerging markets like China and Vietnam.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 2nd September 2010 at 09:59.
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:22   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I think once our fuel prices are removed from Govt. subsidy, which will relatively mean that fuel prices will shoot up, the demand for Diesels will only increase.
This may not even happen as removing the subsidy on diesel would mean high transportation rates [goods as well as people] which may further push the prices of all commodities to exorbitant levels. This may push inflation also to higher levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
This should still be VFM as there is no single product in that price range which offers a diesel option. Also it need not be a 1 lakh extra to the similar petrol variant, but it could be priced closer as some one mentioned in one of the above posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
I strongly feel that CRDI will be announced only after second rounds of Petrol Nano booking and off the shelf sale starts. Since No one can book the Nano in showroom, the euphoria could die.
Have not they started selling it off-the-shelf? I read as to they have started or going to start from Spetember or something in similar tunes.

On top of all these, I am still thinking who will buy a nano-diesel for 2+ lakhs ! The reason for most of the people opting for a Diesel is because of the higher mileage they clock. That would most essentially mean going for long drives [mostly interstates / intercities] and the question is will Nano be able to give the comfort and punch required for such long drives? Also petrol Nanos are opted by people who either cant afford anything beyond 2 lakhs or people who need a second car for "city". How will Nano Diesel fit into these segments? I dont think anyone would buy a Nano Diesel as their sole car for city drives just becuase it gives a better mileage [and low cost of Diesel] if the difference in price is going to be 50K+ [The extra premium may not make sense for the daily running + maintenance cost of a diesel].

But if the Nano D could be used as an alternative for ricks in cities [like proposed in Bangalore], it would make a lot of sense.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd September 2010 at 10:27.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:01   #101
Senior - BHPian

I believe the diesel Nano would have been launched by now if Tata did not shift its plant from Singur to Sanand.

A two cylinder CRDI would be very fuel efficient.

Even if it is priced between 2 to 2.5 lakhs, it would have many takers.

As per demand, the Sanand plant may be able to meet the demand.

Anyway, it is amusing to see the company whose product line-up didnt have a petrol vehicle till the launch of Indica ( correct me if I am wrong) offering only petrol version for its most high profile car.
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:39   #102
BHPian

Info about diesel nano:

Tata Motors looking at expanding Nano brand to diesel - NDTV Profit
Old 30th January 2011, 15:15   #103
Senior - BHPian

Bubble Buster: Tata Nano will have a DI Diesel Engine delivering 40 KMPL

Dear BHPians,

The Tata Nano Diesel will arrive in late 2011 with a triple cylinder direct injection Diesel engine based on the Tata Ace's diesel engine. The biggest selling point of this engine would be the phenomenal fuel efficiency of 40 KMPL. This engine has been tested by Tata and they have achieved this kind of fuel efficiency. All this news is from my trusted source at TML.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 30th January 2011, 17:21   #104
BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

^^ 40 KMPL ? It would just be awesome if we get this in practical condition [or even if its closer to 30's].
I am sure many would wait for this !

Prem.
Old 30th January 2011, 19:12   #105
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Prem,

According to my source, folks at Tata Motors R&D are actually aiming at 50 KMPL, which I feel is a long shot.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks