Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 21:40   #211
BHPian

re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming? EDIT: Plans scrapped for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I dont know why you mentioned build quality. I have a 19000 km run Vista (2010 model) which does not even squeak (touch wood). The build quality has improved drastically. Try comparing the Nano to a Santro (old model) and you will see a better guage of metal as well. When you talk about the build quality not as good as rivals (which is ) can you please make a decent apples to apples comparison. E.g: Build quality of Manza compared to Dezire. Vista compared to Swift/ Ritz.

Another question - What is the definition of 'Build quality'.
My nano has run more than 23,000 kms. No vibrations/sound. Still using it very happily. I am using it upto a travel of 300 kms one side. Consistent mileage also. I think, tata is learning lot of lessons from their past experiences and refinements/improvements are always in the pipeline.
Old 25th December 2011, 21:46   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
My nano has run more than 23,000 kms. No vibrations/sound. Still using it very happily. I am using it upto a travel of 300 kms one side. Consistent mileage also. I think, tata is learning lot of lessons from their past experiences and refinements/improvements are always in the pipeline.
Just what I was telling.

Tata has come a long way.

The fit and finish are still the weak points but just look at the price they are charging.

Damn well compared to the Pseudo luxury hatchbacks with only beige trims inside.

Let us be proud of our home grown automaker.

I would choose a Vista over a Figo / i20 in any given day
Old 26th December 2011, 05:37   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Wish the Auto's would be repaced by the base spec 1.4L Nano
How much does a Auto cost? i Guess its in range of 1.20 -1.30 L, also it returns a consitent 25-30kmpl, the body can be easily repaired and it can turn 360 degrees on any road.

A Basic Nano with Spare tyre in boot, split seats, front mounted Company fitted CNG cylinder , costing 1.60k should be a better option.This will need special tuning to the engine of course.

Diesel Nano is expected to cost more.Very nearly 2K for base version is my guess.

They can save the costs furthur by using simpler headlamps and taillamps.(Eg Something like Mahindra ingenio in relation to XYLO)

Any other ideas to make it a Good taxi?

Last edited by silverado : 26th December 2011 at 05:38.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:22   #214
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
How much does a Auto cost? i Guess its in range of 1.20 -1.30 L, also it returns a consitent 25-30kmpl, the body can be easily repaired and it can turn 360 degrees on any road.

A Basic Nano with Spare tyre in boot, split seats, front mounted Company fitted CNG cylinder , costing 1.60k should be a better option.
Any other ideas to make it a Good taxi?
Actually the Auto costs much more it lands close to Rs. 1.8L in Mumbai. Yep this will seem odd but it is very much true. Even the mid spec nano is a better deal.

This is a clear indicator that the time for the Auto has gone but Bajaj (not referring to the two wheeler company) is a big company with a lot of clout - it would be majorly affected - it will not be easy to replace the Auto. 100's of reasons will be given about how the Nano would affect the lively hood of the Auto drivers and though the Nano could replace the Auto right away today itself and in effect even replace the Taxi also in most cases (except where it has to carry a lot of baggage.)

If only the govt and more importantly the labour unions would permit this.

A nano is a lot more comfortable and safer to sit in than a premier padmini taxi let alone an autorick.

Last edited by ACM : 26th December 2011 at 10:24.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 12:51   #215
BHPian

As being discussed here, there is a Nano Cab service already in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I have used their services and they are cheaper than other taxis while much more comfortable than rickshaws. (They have the same Bajaj rickshaws there)

And as we expect, rickshaw drivers there are also protesting against it.
Old 27th December 2011, 14:35   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

A nano is a lot more comfortable and safer to sit in than a premier padmini taxi let alone an autorick.
Mr ACM, i should be in a good position to comment on this, since i own both of them.

Comfort wise, Nano is better on good- decent roads, but padmini is surely better when roads become rougher naturally due to big wheels.

Padmini is for sure much safer than Nano , it is called a TANK by my friends and not without a reason.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:04   #217
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Mr ACM, i should be in a good position to comment on this, since i own both of them.

Comfort wise, Nano is better on good- decent roads, but padmini is surely better when roads become rougher naturally due to big wheels.

Padmini is for sure much safer than Nano , it is called a TANK by my friends and not without a reason.
Well we can agree to differ slightly.

I don't own a nano, nope but do own the Original PP - 1956 Fiat - check out my avatar - which in internal dimensions is the same as the premier padmini. But then most who travel by a taxi in mumbai occationally would also have experience of the PP dimentions . And of course any car fanatic in India would have more or less sat in a Nano if not taken one for a short drive in it. Yep have not taken a long drive and am not a owner but still..have tried it out.

In the Fiat (Oops Premier Padmini) the roof (the unmodified one with the rods going across with a piece of pesudo leather pulled up on it or even the one where one removes the rods and pastes the cloth straight onto the roof) hits me in the rear seat - am 6 ft tall and quite bulky as well so in addition the distance between the steering and the front bulge that I carry is well less than 1" - at tight squeeze. The Nano is much more spacious where it counts for me and that is kindoff the comfort that I was referring to.

And yes though we will agree that at low speeds the PP will easily cause more damage to any car around that it to the PP at higher speeds (just 40+) the concept of tough materials just don't work as well as modern crumple zone so though I would like to believe that even my 55 year old vehicle (more or less the PP) is as tough as the modern day Nano but that would just not cut ice.

Yes the ladder frame construction of the PP does allow it to seemingly manage rough roads better (for the human back) but this does take it's toll on the suspension itself in the long run vs the monocoque Nano. Am given to understand the just release Nano 2012 has been given better upholstered seats - though have only moved about a bit in the original version.

And yes will also agree that the big wheels of the PP do help in taking care of the rough roads but then one is talking about craters on rough roads (as in different from major potholes) felt the Nano is better. Have had the chance to sit in the nano on rough roads (loose gravel, undulated) but not in potholed ones where one can ofcourse see the larger tyres mated to the ladder frame doing their work.

Another Point that just occured to me was that Yep the Taxi's have CNG (that now takes up most of the otherwise decent booth) but that goes on top of a petrol engine that originally starts at an effeciency of approx 10, (mine gives me 8.5 kmpl) while the Nano is close to double that (the ARAI figures ofcourse are 25kmpl at 2.5 times) but in the real world about twice the PP is a better approximation.
Old 27th December 2011, 16:29   #218
Senior - BHPian

I see the discussions deviating from the topic which is diesel Nano.
Does anyone have an update on that? The engine specs, performance, FE, NVH, etc. I'm aware of the earlier web-postings on the subject that talked about FE ranging from 30-35 KMPL to ones talking about 40-50 KMPL.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:52   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
As being discussed here, there is a Nano Cab service already in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I have used their services and they are cheaper than other taxis while much more comfortable than rickshaws. (They have the same Bajaj rickshaws there)

And as we expect, rickshaw drivers there are also protesting against it.
Sri lankans are doing it, but why aren't nothing of the sort being done in the Nano's home country. Either the Nano or the Tata Iris,help get rid of the auto.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:04   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
I see the discussions deviating from the topic which is diesel Nano.
Does anyone have an update on that? The engine specs, performance, FE, NVH, etc. I'm aware of the earlier web-postings on the subject that talked about FE ranging from 30-35 KMPL to ones talking about 40-50 KMPL.
Some more information on the following link :

Tata Motors Recalls 1.45 Lakh Nanos | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Please note the last sentences : "Tata Motors has been able to improve the sales of the Nano with the V2 of the car and is planning a diesel Nano by October, 2012. The Nano diesel will not be present at the upcoming Auto Expo."

Anyway, Auto Expo is very close and let us wait and see...
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:09   #221
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors is reportedly in advanced stages of development for the world's smallest twin-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. Various sources close to the development told Business Line that the new 800cc diesel engine is likely to be first introduced in the Nano sometime next year.
It may also later find its way in to other small vehicles in the automaker's portfolio, such as the Ace family of light commercial vehicles.
A Tata Motors spokesperson said that though development for the Nano diesel is on, there is “no time frame decided for launch yet”.
“The Nano diesel will not be showcased at the Auto Expo.

Source: Hindu Business Line
Business Line : Companies News : Nano could get boost from new small diesel engine

So with the launch of the Diesel almost certain for 2012, Nano might regain its original targets of 2.5 lakh cars a year or more.
Old 10th January 2012, 10:01   #222
BHPian

I foudnd this thread from another thread , thought of sharing Nano Diesel specification from a most reliable source ,which I meet frequently.

Cubic Capcity :800
Technology :CRDI,Turbo charged
Power: 40 BHP
Average Fuel Consumption : 30 to 32 KMPL.
Introduction to Market : Dec 2012 (It may change)
Price Approximate : Lowest version below 2 Lakh ruppes, Top End 2 Lakh 70 to 80 Thousand Rupees.

This engine is already in testing and tuned further for fuel efficiency and reducing noise and harshness. With this information I think it will be a parting gift of Ratan Tata to Indian. I read somewhere (I think in interview to Autocar India) that RNT said this engine will surprise us with its smoothness and fuel efficiency.

-----------------------------------------
Drive Safe! Use Seatbelts it saves life!
Tata Indica Petrol Feb'02 - Dec'11
Tata Manza Diesel Feb'10
Tata Nano Diesel Future !!!

Mod team note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th January 2012 at 10:22. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
dbaapps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:28   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
Knowing that the petrol version can give 25 kmpl as per ARAI, 30 kmpl is something less for a 2-cylinder engine? Or am I taking things too far? There were speculations that TATA had achieved a 40 kmpl on the Diesel Nano and they were striving for 50 kmpl! Or is this 30 kmpl in city? In that case a sedate drive on empty roads should get anything close to 40 kmpl?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:18   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
Cubic Capcity :800
Technology :CRDI,Turbo charged
Power: 40 BHP
Introduction to Market : Dec 2012 (It may change)
Price Approximate : Lowest version below 2 Lakh ruppes, Top End 2 Lakh 70 to 80 Thousand Rupees.
That sounds like a good proposition. If they are able to give a refined engine with low NHV levels with such FE then sure the sales chart will go North and we will see lot lot more Nanos on Road. Looking forward to a Scoop here..
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 10:56   #225
BHPian

Hello freinds, this is regarding the TATA NANO diesel:
I am doing automobile engineering, in my last semester now. Now i have this information that NANO diesel is coming with a TOGNUM engine. Yes, that manufacturer that builds massive engines for marine applications. I, as a part of my last year poject was into FSAE and went to Austria & Germany for the events and talked to one of the employees at the TOGNUM stall wherein they told me that the TATA NANO has our engine in it. It is already developed and in its testing stage. I was really shocked when i heard this. Now i would like if anyone can get some more info on this.
Thankyou.

Last edited by rutwij : 11th January 2012 at 10:57. Reason: spelling mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks