Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 14:17   #316
Senior - BHPian

Prices in Chennai as follows:

Base version: Nano Rs 151387, Alto Rs 251088

Nano CX / Alto LX : Rs 182560 / Rs 285850

Nano LX / Alto LXi : Rs 205042 / Rs 304792

It is clear that even the top end Nano is cheaper than even the base model Alto!

Even the 800 STD and 800 A/C are priced at Rs 214790 / Rs 236327 (coimbatore prices - sale stopped in Chennai), higher than the top end nano!
Old 7th April 2010, 14:35   #317
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
If you call a sum of around Rs80000-100000/- not much after all, then yes a nano is not a better value than a Alto.
But remember for most of the people the nano would be their first and the only car and for them this differnce is HUGE. Add ot it the additional interst charges of finance and the EMIs.And for some people like me the Nano is any day better than a Alto only because it has its own charm.
+1

I would say the Nano is exceptional value for what you get.

If you have to buy a car on finance in Europe and you can afford to pay Rs2000 for lets say for a car costing you lets say Rs100000 you will have to pay back for 50 months plus interest rate, which is x months on top.

If you can afford the same Rs2000 and pay double the money for tghe car you back for 100months + 2x months interest rate+ y months on the interest of the interest. And y months will not be nothing.

I would prefer the cheaper option alone from looking at being free of repayments at much less than half the time.

Even if you have the money, your cash flow situation is hampered with the more expensive car, which is hardly better.

Another point, which is overlooked by roy_libran is the depreciation. The Alto will loose more than the Nano when someone will up grade or buy a newer Nano. Also the spare part situation will be in the favour of the Nano.

When you look at the points that are at least as important than the buying price, you will find that the Nano is a winner.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:32   #318
Senior - BHPian

Seeing plenty of Nanos and Manzas around town lately.

Saw one Nano which had a head-on collision with the front windscreen shattered and the bonnet crushed. The cabin was intact and the car was actually being driven. Couldn't take pictures as I was driving on the other side of the road.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:26   #319
BHPian

Rename Nano as 'Blaze' !

It appears that yet another Nano went up in flames today - this time in Gujarat. That car does appear to have a very functional auto destruct mode!
Maybe Tata could think of re-naming the Nano as the 'BLAZE' ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Indian Express - Nano on Fire.pdf (28.0 KB, 575 views)
Old 7th April 2010, 19:31   #320
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at this.

Nano accident: Customer demands compensation from Tata - CNBC-TV18 -

Quote:
Purshotam Sawant, a Mulund resident, whose Nano went up in flames as he drove back from the dealership, wants compensation. The incident took place on the 21st of March, the day Sawant took delivery of the Nano. This LIC employee is now demanding Rs 15 lakhs in compensation for endangering not just his life, but also the lives of his wife and five year old child who were in the car when the fire broke out. Sawant also wants a fully loaded Fiat Punto because he says he has lost faith in Tata Motors.
Greed never ceases to amaze me. The other guy wanted a Mercedes and this guy wants a Punto + 15 lacs. He basically wants 22 Nanos.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 19:32.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:41   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Greed never ceases to amaze me. The other guy wanted a Mercedes and this guy wants a Punto + 15 lacs. He basically wants 22 Nanos.
Gilead, Pardon me, but if you were in that car what would be the cost of your life? Its not greed my dear, its trauma. I would probably still be s******g in my pants even today, if it had happened to me.

The guy is a fool. he should be fighting for 50 lacs even if that means a 100 or more Nanos.

God bless.....
Old 7th April 2010, 20:56   #322
Senior - BHPian

soccer, even if this goes to the courts, he will be eligible for compensatory damages and not punitive. Punitive damages are extremely rare here and in order to be eligible one has to prove malicious or abusive behavior on Tata's part which would be next to impossible.

The correct compensation in this case is a new car or a complete refund of the money which Tata has already placed on the table. If that guy had died in the car fire, the compensatory damages may be higher, but I doubt if punitive will still stick.

Let's stick to the facts here and not get rhetorical about the value of life.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:58   #323
BHPian

TATA motors is probably not taking full responsibility for so many Nanos catching fire. They have mentioned its a steering fault but how come no recalls have been made? They have to be the most stubborn company and this will hamper their image. As for the Nano, it is already the most unsafe car on Indian roads and it should be banned till further investigation by the Automobile Association (or any other governing body) certifies this car as being road friendly.
As for the guy demanding compensation, he should ask for nothing less than a crore. Mental trauma will last forever and that has no price.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:14   #324
Senior - BHPian

There definitely seems some serious fault in the Nano engine design that has caused the fire to happen.

Bet Tata has to take immediate action otherwise we will see the Indian pride biting dust (/smoke), & posers selling dated products to customers.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:20   #325
BHPian

How would a steering fault cause a fire in the rear engine compartment?

Looks like nano catching fire becoming a norm. Read this in news feeds.

Nano Blaze, good name.

Is it possible that Tata would do a smear campaign against the victims, rather than giving compensation and admitting their fault, and spoiling their name?
Old 7th April 2010, 21:35   #326
Senior - BHPian

By continuing to despatch Nanos to showrooms and customers before ascertaining the root cause of the fire, Tata Motors is shooting itself in the foot.

Tata Motors must find out the reason for the fire, before continuing supplies of the vehicle, particularly the latest batch, with which something seems to be particularly wrong.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:29   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
soccer, even if this goes to the courts, he will be eligible for compensatory damages and not punitive. Punitive damages are extremely rare here and in order to be eligible one has to prove malicious or abusive behavior on Tata's part which would be next to impossible.

The correct compensation in this case is a new car or a complete refund of the money which Tata has already placed on the table. If that guy had died in the car fire, the compensatory damages may be higher, but I doubt if punitive will still stick.

Let's stick to the facts here and not get rhetorical about the value of life.
Compensatory or punitive damages is not the issue here. What is the compensation for the mental trauma caused. As far as the punitive damages are concerned even if could be proved, Tatas would rather pay a huge sum to a SENIOR Advocate than compensate the aggrieved.

Coming back to my question. It still remains unanswered. The answer becomes more difficult when it concerns ones own self.

God bless.....
Old 7th April 2010, 22:42   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
How would a steering fault cause a fire in the rear engine compartment?
Tatas can get away with every thing. The fire could well have started because of a faulty front tyre. When our country does not have a recognized body/authority to certify the actual cause, the word of the manufacturer becomes the ultimate truth.

God bless.....
Old 7th April 2010, 22:52   #329
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer View Post
Tatas can get away with every thing. The fire could well have started because of a faulty front tyre. When our country does not have a recognized body/authority to certify the actual cause, the word of the manufacturer becomes the ultimate truth.

God bless.....
But this is what lies in your hands. This has nothing got to do with India rather than every single driver and passenger making a demand for such an authority in the country you live in.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:04   #330
BHPian

Folks who are talking for TATA in this thread need to take notice of this fire incedent. So many cases already reported, but what is preventing TATAs from recalling the car and fixing the problem? Its either because they have no clue what the problem is or they are just trying to avoid the responsibility.

Now this is what differentiates Honda/Toyota and Tata. Honda/Toyota accepted their problem and did a honest recall of the affected models. But if TATAs who are supposedly known for their honesty in conducting business is not accepting their mistake, I don't know what to say. If they are so honest, why do they need any rule or law to recall a defective car? Defects can be there in any car of any brand. But finally matters is how they respond when they detect that defect.

When Suzuki announced that they would not venture in to making a car in the same segment as Nano because they cannot provide adequate safety at that price, some body in one of the forums here commented that "Its not that Suzuki wont do it, but can't do it". Well I think that was a very very premature conclusion. I would wait till Nano proves itself and then give any judgment whether it is good or bad.

Last edited by vnk77 : 7th April 2010 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks