Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 10:32   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
In fact I see it as a certificate of reliability and hassle free ownership.
thats how i see it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Interesting that this is the comment for TOYOTAs being used as Taxis.

For the same TATA/Mahindra vehicles being used as Taxis, the comment would be like "Oh tata means taxi, they are SO downmarket".

Sorry AJK53, the comment was not meant for you. But on general preceptions towards Indian manufacturers.
Hmmm i think i started this, and as i was typing that, Indica came to my mind thats why added economical as a feature as well. Indian Taxis evolved from ambis to Sumo when they saw a bigger practical car, then the market was filled with qualis here comes my theory of reliable and cheap to run now its been replaced by tavera and a small amount by innova. You will hardly see a scarpio taxi cause of the above reason. i have never seen one.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:03   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Taxis wallahs buy only those cars which are very reliable and have low running and maintenance costs. In many European countries even Mercs are used taxis, so this does not make the Mercs a cheap car.

In fact I see it as a certificate of reliability and hassle free ownership.
Agree with this comment. In Bangkok 90% of the taxis are Corrola Altis, and at the same time, its a huge hit among the private buyers also. Same is the case with Mercs in many European countries.

But in some countries, the image does play a role. In Singapore, you don't see many private owned Merc E Class in white colour - because white Merc Es are run as taxis here. And there was a huge displeasure among the public when Silver Merc taxis were launched a few years back (eventually the companies went back to white colour I guess. I don't remember seeing a Silver merc. taxi in recent memory). Same is the case with Hyundai Sonata. Sonata sales took a huge dip since the time it was taken up the taxi companies. And now I read somewhere that the new gen Sonata is being launched in a different name here in Singapore.

So I am not really sure if it will be a good thing for the Altis to get taxi tag in india. Hope not .
Old 5th July 2010, 13:54   #183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am planning to get GM approved tuning from IRMSCHER which does not void warranty in Germany for my CRUZE to increase torque; I wonder how the Altis diesel will perform compared to this. At present the warranty will be void according to the GM dealer here in Cochin.
From the face of it, the Altis diesel won't hold a candle to a stock Cruze; a tuned Cruze will probably be in a different league by itself :

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
My doubts are if its a 1.4 L, if proven to be true its a pure waste of an car according to me.
I think its important for us to exercise some discretion before passing such sweeping statements. A diesel Altis isn't targetted at enthusiasts. You want performance? Buy a Cruze or Laura TSI from the same segment.

Now, lets think of it from the business perspective. You have a 100 customers....2 of them want performance (i.e. enthusiasts), the other 98 want economy with *acceptable* performance (mass market). Toyota would be a fool to launch a 160 BHP Altis, when a majority of its market wants economy!!
Old 5th July 2010, 14:31   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now, lets think of it from the business perspective. You have a 100 customers....2 of them want performance (i.e. enthusiasts), the other 98 want economy with *acceptable* performance (mass market). Toyota would be a fool to launch a 160 BHP Altis, when a majority of its market wants economy!!
True, but unfortunately this could mean no automatic transmission. Looks like Corolla 1.4D does not have an AT variant in Europe (I am hoping to be proven wrong and there would be an AT variant available as well).
Old 5th July 2010, 15:16   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GTO, I guess my remarks are taken too much with wrong taste. I am sorry for that.

But what I wanted to point out was this. If Toyota was planning to target the 98% of the customers that you had mentioned. One must note that they are not bothered just about the economy but rather about the VFM factor.

Imagine, how will I feel if I have bought an Altis for Rs 15 lkhs on road. When I know that there are diesel hatches available for Rs. 6 lkh with the same amount of displacement. Now the question will come for power, but then again you mentioned that they are targeting the economy customers. What I felt is the remaining 9L is purely for the usage of its brand name.

Its the price point which I am talking about. Moreover the Etios sedan if coming with a diesel variant, will also have the same engine. Toyota will get caught between trying to satisfy a VFM customer and a high class customer. But end up satisfying none.

This is what I wanted to convey but talk about the work of words got caught in the tangle.

Last edited by xingamazon : 5th July 2010 at 15:18.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:31   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

@xingamazon:

You keep harping that cc/power needs to the overriding factor when launching a car? Have you heard of the Subera WRX STI ? It is avilable as a hatch prices about the the same as good midsize sedan. Should everyone discontinue engines less that 300 bhp because the Subaru WRX STI is around?

If it upsets you that a 13+ lakhs Alits has a 1.4 liter engine, then it is the wrong car for you, but I can assure you that majority of the market will not care. The few who care about performance will buy a Laura or Cruze over the Altis. Trust it is not a waste of time at all. Similar critical comments were thrown at the Forturner, but Toyota is laughing all the way to bank. I feel a well priced Diesel Altis will do just fine.

Do you really think that a potential buyer for Altis will buy an Etios since the engine is the same?? I don't really get your argument mate...

BTW, the 20 lakh Fortuner shares the same 3.0 D4D engine with the 50 lakh Prado. Do you think anyone who wants to buy a Prado and can afford it will settle for a Fortuner?
Old 5th July 2010, 22:25   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If it upsets you that a 13+ lakhs Alits has a 1.4 liter engine, then it is the wrong car for you, but I can assure you that majority of the market will not care. The few who care about performance will buy a Laura or Cruze over the Altis. Trust it is not a waste of time at all. Similar critical comments were thrown at the Forturner, but Toyota is laughing all the way to bank. I feel a well priced Diesel Altis will do just fine.
BTW, the 20 lakh Fortuner shares the same 3.0 D4D engine with the 50 lakh Prado. Do you think anyone who wants to buy a Prado and can afford it will settle for a Fortuner?
Ok I agree, I guess I was wrong. As not many think it is right view point.
But atleast my collegues agreed to my point.

I give up this is my last post in this thread in this regard. No more discussion/ arguments.Toyota will sell even this vehicle for sure. I am not telling it will not , I am telling its not good. I guess its just me who thinks this way so I give up.

Here is my example, this is what I wanted to convey to get bashed up :( Anyway, imagine this; post Swift Petrol car's success. If Suzuki had come up with a 800 cc engine (turboed to give the highest power equal to the current petrol engine). And priced it at 7L on road. It would have been a success for sure.
But I am sure I would have not bought it. As you said I am not of that type.

Anyway will close the discussion, my last post for the thread. No more replies.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:31   #188
BHPian

Scoop Picture: Diesel Corolla Altis

I am currently on a business trip to Bangalore since the last 1 week and today had a conference towards the New Airport. Our lunch was organised at Angsana Resort on Dodbalapur road.

Here, I happened to see a different looking Corolla Altis parked.
I came to know that there was some sort of training program going on.

Looking for a moment, I sneaked up close and checked to find that it was the Corolla Altis Diesel.

There were 2 people standing behind the car (probably company men) who asked me not to take photos.

However, on the pretext of receiving a call I could click one snap from the front.

They also had a Chevrolet Cruze parked beside so that comparison could be made for both vehicles.

As I got more curious, I was shooed away from there with polite requests.

Here's the image. Notice the different grill and some chrome touches. You can also see the Cruze in the back.

Diesel Toyota Altis confirmed! ARAI FE of 21.43 kpl. Update: Now Launched!-dieselaltis.jpg

I did not find the picture on any thread. In case it exists, request moderators to merge this topic

Thanks
Old 7th July 2010, 21:36   #189
BHPian

nice scoop hero puch!!!
They are comparing a 1.4 with a 2.0 150 bhp engine?
Toyota certainly has high hopes from its diesel powerplant.
Old 7th July 2010, 21:49   #190
Senior - BHPian

Good job! BTW how did you make out that this was in fact the Diesel Altis? Or are we just speculating?
Old 7th July 2010, 22:00   #191
oss
BHPian

Nice scoop Hero_Puch

Did you get to see the interiors? Was there any badge on the rear like 1.4 Di-D?

Last edited by oss : 7th July 2010 at 22:09.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:12   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Scoop there, Heropuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Nice scoop Hero_Puch

Did you get to see the interiors? Was there any badge on the rear like 1.4 Di-D?
It should be D4-D, not Di-D.
Old 8th July 2010, 08:34   #193
BHPian

There was a D4D badge at the back side. I think normal Corolla's have VVTi on the fender.

But because of the 2 people standing near the back, I could not click any picture of that.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:23   #194
Team-BHP Support

That settles it. Yes its a diesel. Also in the same thread some had posted this new grill as well.
ACI though in their latest issue show something else.

However "LIVE" proof settles it all! Great Scoop! I really marvel where all our eyes can go! (I mean tbhp-eyes!)
Old 8th July 2010, 10:21   #195
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is stupid enough to test the car with D-4D badges.

Good for us though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks