Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2007, 17:19   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Per some reports, its a done deal but just not being announced yet.
Thad has a valid point. There is no deal until there really is a deal.
Old 22nd December 2007, 17:32   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep... Signatures on paper, cheques in pocket.

At that stage only its too late to change minds. I'm no follower of finance, but I think some enormous deals, after months of negotiation and, doubtless, huge numbers of man hours, have fallen apart.

Keep the fingers crossed! I too am fascinated to see the results of this deal.
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:56   #198
BHPian

TATA Is now the Owner of Jaguar Rover and the deal is through
"India's Tata Motors will be named on Dec. 21 as the winning bidder in the auction for Jaguar and Land Rover, according to a report in Britain's Birmingham Post newspaper. Tata will pay £1 billion, or about $2 billion, for the two Ford Motor luxury auto brands, said the newspaper, which is based near Jaguar and Land Rover's home in the British midlands." Source Report: Tata Wins Jaguar, Land Rover

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2007 at 00:44.
Old 22nd December 2007, 23:14   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Dont forget L N Mittal bought ailing steep companies, turned them around and became No 1.

Corus was in trouble, by buying it TATAs arrived at the world scene. This will indeed be a big step for TATA Motors.
Mittal bough ailing giants at knock down prices. Many of these are in countries with very cheap labour eg Romania and former Soviet states. Mittla has done very well and I applaud him for what he has done. TATA are an altogether different story. Look how they bodged up the TCS float.

TATA did not arrive in the world scene by buying Corus, the media in India have a habbit of bigging up stories of very little consequence and the poor public buy into it. Star news even have a program devoted to odd bods who can eat scooters and people who can pull a Maruti with their moustache. These freak events are projected as the shaan of India. How embarrasing when the only thing you can boast about is a man who can eat a scooter.

LR and Jaguar are beset with problems, the workers are used to earning very good money (£30K to 40K for assembly line work) doing very little. LR has suffered from quality problems. How are they going to cut costs ? Ford and BMW have both tried with LR but have not managed it. LR do have some good assets (prime land in Solihull etc) but besides that not much else. The pension funds at both companies will also need to be shored up. If production is eventually moved to India then you can bet your last rupee that sales in EU and US will suffer. There is a snob factor that comes into play and the typical LR buyer will not touch a car made in India.

Yes Tata will own all the LR designs but will they ever do anything with them ? I doubt much of the hi-tech stuff will ever make it into the TATA range of vehicles.

Jaguar have been a bit of a joke in the UK for a while. They are projected up there with BMW and Mercedes but suffer form quality probelms and depreciate badly. No true executive touches a Jag nowadays.

Last edited by bigman : 22nd December 2007 at 23:20.
Old 23rd December 2007, 06:54   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Jaguar have been a bit of a joke in the UK for a while. They are projected up there with BMW and Mercedes but suffer form quality probelms and depreciate badly. No true executive touches a Jag nowadays.
Partially true. Jaguar quality and reliability is as good as any luxury marque barring Lexus. They do suffer from higher depreciation. Also note, Jaguar sales in Europe are not a problem. They are doing pretty well out there. The US, which is their biggest market, is where they took a massive beating which resulted in huge losses.
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:39   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
What a symbolic deal !! let the age of BRITISH COLONISATION begin ....

200 years from the time they set foot here, we are at their front yards and throwing money at them....poetic justice..
Brother its the law of Karma, what goes comes around.

I just hope that with this deal we can see better TATA cars in India.
Old 23rd December 2007, 14:26   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
Brother its the law of Karma, what goes comes around.

I just hope that with this deal we can see better TATA cars in India.
You a My Name is Earl Fan ?

I got a feeling that the opposite will happen. We will see LR and Jag quality falling to TATA level.
Old 23rd December 2007, 23:00   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got a feeling that the opposite will happen. We will see LR and Jag quality falling to TATA level.
Perfect. Another clash of opinions. This is why I visit these forums.
Old 24th December 2007, 00:04   #204
BHPian

aiyyo... the moral brigand has deleted my post :(
Wondering what was so offensive? Look below.
Old 24th December 2007, 05:10   #205
BHPian

Quote:

Who is My Name is Earl(I don't watch Yamrikan TV except Seinfeld)? I don't learn my philosophy from TV .

And how would Jag and LR fall to TATA level? TATA is smart enough to get JagLR technology for their cars, but they are not that dumb to take a TATA Indica interior and put it in a Range Rover.

And I have a question. So TATA is just going to take over management right? Will it get its hand dirty and enter the factory and try to make changes there?
Old 24th December 2007, 06:19   #206
BHPian

Quote:
And I have a question. So TATA is just going to take over management right? Will it get its hand dirty and enter the factory and try to make changes there?
I don't think they will. JLR is largely fixed. What it needs according to most Automotive Analysts is investment to grow and develop. In essence TATA will have to pour money in to ensure profits pour back out. There's not a lot wrong with the management anymore. Jag is really recovering nicely and Land Rover is going from strength to strength.

To be blunt the best thing TATA motors can do is grow the R&D base at JLR and then use their best people to help turn TATA motors into India's Toyota. The best thing TATA can do is add "ferteliser".
Old 25th December 2007, 15:07   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who is My Name is Earl(I don't watch Yamrikan TV except Seinfeld)? I don't learn my philosophy from TV .

And how would Jag and LR fall to TATA level? TATA is smart enough to get JagLR technology for their cars, but they are not that dumb to take a TATA Indica interior and put it in a Range Rover.

You got to watch my name is earl (1st series was very funny).

If they want to make money they have to make changes on the factory floor. I know a few people who have worked at LR Solihull and even they admit that workers are overpaid and underworked. They have little pride in their work and need a kick up the backside. However do that and you rock the applecart and give them the opportunity to strike etc. Similar things happened at Rover, same working mentality at LR.
Old 25th December 2007, 15:47   #208
Senior - BHPian

imagine A fiat Grande punto, Tata Sumo, Jaguar and Rangerover disco sharing the same showroom space. (ROTF.......LMHO)

Yes I know this wont happen. But I couldnt stop myself imagining a salesperson for Sumo pitching for the Disco.
Old 25th December 2007, 19:53   #209
Senior - BHPian

As a rule cars manufactured outside are charged with 105% custom duty
i hope the government reduces the tax on LR and the jag to atleast 60% considering ts now owned by an india based company
this way tata might make profits atleast in india
face it why would one opt for a cayene,X5,Q7 if range rover comes for the same price?
so this was practically we'll be importing cars from our own country
and if taxes are reduced india will be the only contry in the world where the jaguar sales will beat all the german marks

Last edited by AMATMO : 25th December 2007 at 19:56.
Old 25th December 2007, 20:16   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
this way tata might make profits atleast in india
http://ir.tatamotors.com/performance...tistics-07.pdf

Tata Motors - Investor Interests

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks