Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 19:05   #1
BHPian
 
rajeshsundaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ERD-CHN-BLR
Posts: 299
Thanked: 452 Times
Default The Hella Experience - 500 FF

@mods : Hope I posted in the right section. If not please help to move to the proper section. Thanks!

The question

So what happens if you receive a call unexpectedly in response to an email you sent thinking that the mail will be ignored, trashed to death?

The Incident
Well, I was surprised and pleasantly shocked! Okay the story goes like this. My Alto's unknown brand after-market Relay harness is behaving badly and I lost two H4 halogens because of that. I decided to get some quality harness this time and squared on Mico Bosch and Hella. Only Mico Bosch's website carried information about relays, but Hella India's website carried information only about Lightings and horns. But I was sure, that Hella must be having some harness too, as they manufacture lightings. I was interested in Hella Aux lamps too. Anyway I was little skeptical about Hella, because you find more gray / duplicate pieces than the original ones in the market. Infact in our very first car we fitted a pair of hi-tone horns which we believed was original hella. When the horn went dead in a rain, we then realized it's a duplicate one. But Hella, as a brand is known for its quality. The issue is - original parts availability. Luckily Hella India has a website and they now have dealers all over India.

So I started writing down the dealer addresses in chennai. Mico has dealers in almost all areas, where as Hella has dealers only in GP Road and TNagar. As I had a couple of works to do in GP Road, I decided to visit the Hella dealer's shop first.

@ the Distributor's place
Upon entering the shop at fourth floor I realized that they are actually distributors. I know distributors usually do not sell to end customers. But I asked the girl in the counter if I could get a harness kit for headlight. She asked me the quantity and I said, "one.. only one". On hearing this, the guy (must be a manager i guess) sitting in the nearby table got agitated and told me that they will not sell pieces in such quantities. I then asked him to guide me to a proper outlet so that I can buy original Hella parts. Shockingly his answer was on the sorts of - "there are hundred shops here.. get it from anyone".

Meanwhile, the girl dialled her boss number and the boss came to rescue on the phone. He was a nice man. He patiently asked me the details and said that they usually dont sell to end-customers directly. But since I have walked in, he agreed to sell me a kit for this time alone. I said "OK" over the phone.

While the girl was busy getting the kit from the stock, the manager sort of guy was giving me all sorts of discouraging talks that it is NOT my job to visit places like this. It is the job of my mechanic .. bla bla bla ... and so on. I patiently told him again that I was not aware that they are distributors and reminded him that I asked him to guide me to a sales outlet, in th beginning itself. I think he considered me as a guy who was looking for some monetary discount, buying at distributor's price.

The girl returned with the kit and I paid the money, packed the kit and returned home. After reaching home, I emailed the GM of Hella India marketing, explaning that I am a TBHP member, and so I value the quality of components. I also explained the incident happened at distri's place and asked him to publish a list of direct sales outlets so that people / enthusiasts like us can buy genuine products easily, without disturbing the distris. I had no hopes of getting any response. Just for my sake of satisfaction I sent the mail.


Surprise #1
The next day, at noon I received a call from Mr.Gowtham. He said he is from the marketing division of Hella India, and regretted for the incident. He also said that appropriate steps are being taken to avoid any future incidents at distri's place. He then told me that their regional sales head will get in touch with me further. Also he said that Hella India has a website Shop4Hella.com which is up and running for nearly a year and more. I remember seeing this website URL appearing in the RHS of the google search results. He left his number and Sales head's number with me.

I was like - I pinched myself! In a industry where customer service is mostly bound to show rooms and vehicle sales, this sort of call and response from a accessory manufacturer is surely pleasing.


Surprise #2
Today, when I was sipping coffee in my office the next surprise came in. The chennai sales head Mr.Johnson called me. He introduced himself and informed that necessary steps are being taken to improve the quality of service at all distributors place. Also they are preparing the list of sales outlets, which will be published in their website down the line.

From the conversation we had, I understood that Hella India has been operating for the past 1.5 years. Another thing he highlighted is - they are finding all such gray areas in customer relationship, parts supplies, sales etc and fixing them.

The Aux lamps
He then asked me the components I was intended to buy that day. I told him that I was looking for a harness kit and pair of aux lamps for my Alto, of which I bought the kit alone. He said he will help me to get a pair of right aux driving lamps for my alto, and would arrange for a demo for the same next week. I will post the Aux lamp experience once the demo was arranged.

It is happy to see that auto accessories manufacturers too are focusing on customer support now. And guess what? I am all - grinning...

Update on 16-01-2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
For those who followed this thread from the beginning, knows my efforts in getting a 500FF, and the bitter experience with the distributor at GP road, Chennai. After this TBHP post, Mr.Johnson from Hella got in touch with me and helped me out to buy a pair. I also expressed my dissatisfaction about the non-availability of genuine parts with the sellers and proper outlets to buy Hella products. He informed that those things will be taken care of.

And here today I received a call and one mail from him. As per the conversation, Hella now has two online sales outlets now. One is their own shop4hella, and another is their authorized Shopclues outlet. Additionally, they have updated the distributor / dealer list for whole india in their website now.

Distributor / Dealer List :
http://www.hella.com/hella-in/670.html?rdeLocale=en

Their online presence:
http://www.shop4hella.com
http://www.shopclues.com/!/rrpp-hella-authorized-store

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2014 at 15:41. Reason: Adding your latest update to the opening post :). Will help more people that way!
rajeshsundaram is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Good positive steps from the higher ups at Hella! I too had noticed the GP road address but didn't have the time to visit. Do post back once you get the demo and update this thread.
bottle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:35   #3
BHPian
 
sajands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 830
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

rajeshsundaram,

Nice right up, Nice to know that Hella is taking lending an ear to its customers and I wonder its got anything to do with you mentioning that you a Bhpian

Waiting you the detailed report on the demo.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:36   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 790 Times
Default

An excellent and commendable move on the part of HELLA to acknowledge your bad experience with the manager at the distributor's store.

Just checked their website and apparently the product line available in India is minimum. Only wished they made everything available here.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:44   #5
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 467 Times
Default

Wow! Im really impressed! After reading about so many sellers that dont bother replying to emails, this is a pleasant surprise!

There are a lotta fake hella products in the market and a list of shops selling the real stuff would be great.

Thumbs up to the guys running the show @ Hella India! And Rajesh, thanks for taking the initiative by bringing this to their notice!!

Cheers!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:46   #6
BHPian
 
ElantraGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 442
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Thats a awesome start for Hella in India. Here is a big thumpsup from me to them . The website is awesome and the best part is I can order genuine items online.

I always wanted to buy a Hella Comet 500 and red grill horn for my cars, but when ever I go to GP road I find that most of the items in display is duplicate items..
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 21:55   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post

While the girl was busy getting the kit from the stock, the manager sort of guy was giving me all sorts of discouraging talks that it is NOT my job to visit places like this. It is the job of my mechanic .. bla bla bla ... and so on. I patiently told him again that I was not aware that they are distributors and reminded him that I asked him to guide me to a sales outlet, in th beginning itself. I think he considered me as a guy who was looking for some monetary discount, buying at distributor's price.
Hey rajesh,

Glad to know that you took the initiative & made sure that Hella at least got to hear about this. It was indeed shocking to know about how this guy (manager or somebody) behaved.

Also, forgive me for my ignorance if at all, but what's wrong in looking for a discount. That guy (manager) needs to learn.

Regards.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:51   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
@mods : Hope I posted in the right section. If not please help to move to the proper section. Thanks!

The question

So what happens if you receive a call unexpectedly in response to an email you sent thinking that the mail will be ignored, trashed to death?

The Incident
Well, I was surprised and pleasantly shocked! Okay the story goes like this. My Alto's unknown brand after-market Relay harness is behaving badly and I lost two H4 halogens because of that. I decided to get some quality harness this time and squared on Mico Bosch and Hella. Only Mico Bosch's website carried information about relays, but Hella India's website carried information only about Lightings and horns. But I was sure, that Hella must be having some harness too, as they manufacture lightings. I was interested in Hella Aux lamps too. Anyway I was little skeptical about Hella, because you find more gray / duplicate pieces than the original ones in the market. Infact in our very first car we fitted a pair of hi-tone horns which we believed was original hella. When the horn went dead in a rain, we then realized it's a duplicate one. But Hella, as a brand is known for its quality. The issue is - original parts availability. Luckily Hella India has a website and they now have dealers all over India.

So I started writing down the dealer addresses in chennai. Mico has dealers in almost all areas, where as Hella has dealers only in GP Road and TNagar. As I had a couple of works to do in GP Road, I decided to visit the Hella dealer's shop first.

........
This happened to me when I visited the Philips distri. in my area. I asked for H4 Diamond visions & he put a box of a set of 200 on the table. When I told him I only need two of them, then he was like & then, but he did sell me two of those without fuss.

You just reinforced my confidence in Hella, I was getting very skeptical about them after buying Red Grills & even thought of returning them.

Thanks buddy

Last edited by v12 : 12th June 2010 at 20:16. Reason: Long quote made short.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 23:30   #9
BHPian
 
prguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Good initiative by Hella I must say (and by you too rajesh). A friend also had a similar experience where in he was given a fake Hella horn and it went kaput in no time. I have been thinking of buying comet 550 and red grill horns for a long time but because of experiences like my friend's I put myself on hold. Once Hella puts up a list of shops from where we can buy products one can be sure of quality products.

Rajesh you also mentioned that you mailed the GM of Hella telling him that you are a TBHP member, now am wondering if you mentioning the fact that you are a TBHP member caused the chain of events to happen
prguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 13:29   #10
BHPian
 
rajeshsundaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ERD-CHN-BLR
Posts: 299
Thanked: 452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Good initiative by Hella I must say (and by you too rajesh). A friend also had a similar experience where in he was given a fake Hella horn and it went kaput in no time. I have been thinking of buying comet 550 and red grill horns for a long time but because of experiences like my friend's I put myself on hold. Once Hella puts up a list of shops from where we can buy products one can be sure of quality products.

Rajesh you also mentioned that you mailed the GM of Hella telling him that you are a TBHP member, now am wondering if you mentioning the fact that you are a TBHP member caused the chain of events to happen
@prguru
I am eagerly waiting for the meeting with their sales head next week, for a demo. That time, I will try to ping him to get a list of authorized Hella shops in Chennai and put in TBHP. This will help our tbhpians to buy their wishlist.

And yes, It is a possibility that I am a TBHPian might have invoked a prompt response. Well that's a good news right?
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 14:19   #11
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Great Efforts [COLOR=#777777]Rajesh[/COLOR]

and I am impressed with Hella response and concerns, certainly this would help them educate and win customers easily.


ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 14:40   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Thumbs up

Good of you to have followed up with Hella .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
... I will post the Aux lamp experience once the demo was arranged...
Eagerly waiting for the feedback, since I am also looking to buy Hella headlights. I was impressed with them, after seeing that the OEM headlight unit in the MM Major are from Hella .
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 16:34   #13
BHPian
 
prguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
@prguru
That time, I will try to ping him to get a list of authorized Hella shops in Chennai and put in TBHP. This will help our tbhpians to buy their wishlist.
Also request them to provide list of shops in Bangalore too or the whole of India and put it in the same thread, will be helpful for all of us.

Quote:
Well that's a good news right?
That is definitely a good news, next time if I happen to face any kind of issues with any dealer I know what to do.
prguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 10:15   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default

Thanks for the link to Shop4Hella.com link. I have also been trying hard to get genuine Hella stuff, but as we all know - most of what is palmed off as genuine is not so.

Nice to know that Hella guys are responsive.



Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:27   #15
BHPian
 
rajeshsundaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ERD-CHN-BLR
Posts: 299
Thanked: 452 Times
Default

Time for update.

Mr.Johnson from Hella called me to inform that "Haute Car Zone" on OMR, Chennai is one of their authorized sales outlets where I can get genuine Hella parts and arranged to meet with Mr.Nagarajan of Haute Car Zone. I visited the place on Saturday morning, last week.

Mr.Nagarajan showed me 3 models :

1. Hella Rallye 500 FF - Circular Aux lamp
2. Hella Comet 550 - Rectangle shape aux lamp
3. Hella Comet 500 - Circular Aux lamp

Among the three, the Comet series 500 and 550 were readily available. The Rallye 500 FF pair was available, but was slightly damaged during transportation. One of the lamp's front lens was cracked. I checked all the 3 models. The Comet 500 and Rallye 500 are identical in size. While the Comet 500 and 550 had generic style 'vertically striped' lens, the Rallye 500 FFs has a clear lens. Since the clear lens are the trend today, I chose to go for Rallye 500 FFs.

Mr.Nagarajan said, he will get me a new pair of 500 FFs and will call me to fix them on my Alto. The complete kit with harness, bulbs and lamp casing comes around Rs.5800. The fitting charges / labour are extra. I will confirm the rates once I get the Hellas fixed.

The pic attached below will give you the idea.

Some facts :
  1. Rally 500 FFs are big and they mean business. Not like the small cheap fog/aux lamps available out there. Here is a online document specific for Rallye 500 and 700. http://www.hella.com/rallyeFF/rallyeFF.html
  2. All 3 models shown bear a "Made in Thailand" mark.
  3. Sold in complete kits. I believe individual parts are available on order.
  4. The quality of body is good.
  5. The bulbs are 12v / 55w. Mr.Johnson said that these 55w bulbs are good enough, and combined with the Hella engineered reflectors will project a better beam. Let's see.
I spent just a few minutes there, as I was in a hurry. So couldnt get many details from Mr.Nagarajan. He also has those big,mighty Hellas on display, 4000 series I guess.

Now I am all set. Just waiting for the 500 FFs to arrive the showroom.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 23rd June 2010 at 17:31.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Fixing the Hella Red Grill Horns abhipuru16 DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th April 2017 20:13
HELLA dealer / availability in India gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 35 1st March 2017 09:12
Hella develops LED HeadLamps Stratos Technical Stuff 19 31st October 2010 18:43
Bangalore Kanyakumari Rameshwaram Trichy Bangalore - One Hella Trip !!!!! lancersfx Travelogues 21 5th July 2010 14:01
Hella Auxillary Xenon Lamps Ajay Narayan Modifications & Accessories 7 9th June 2010 20:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks