Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 21:38   #2491
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Funny how I was told that you can't get separate OVRM parts. Plus I was also told that the OVRM with integrated indicators would be atleast 2k plus.

Coming to your rat issue. I wish I could help but the only thing I can suggest is, take that bat and hit the rat instead of the horse

On a more serious note, can you change your parking position? do others face the same issue (if you live in an apartment)?
Yes.My neighbour face same issue.He kept rat poison inside his Scorpio.That full area was stinking after that.He couldn't take the car for almost a week.I dont know what he did after that.Damage was of 15K for him.
I tried parking in different place.I left my car at my friends place for two weeks.The very next day I bought the car,Rat again came.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 23:12   #2492
BHPian
 
neofromcapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 271
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

For the rat problem, something from our T-BHP calssifieds
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...epellent.html/
I am buying one set this week.


Hope this helps.
neofromcapone is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 00:26   #2493
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

@thoma:
Instant FE is a derived figure from SFC (specific fuel consumption) and speed of the vehicle.So while idling, the instant FE will be zero.
When coasting, the engine will be at idle rpm and the vehicle will be moving with inertia- sothe instant FE will be very high. IIRC, it goes 40+ when coasting.

@sajjt:
SG-R in full swing lol.
I will bring the dongle next time when I come to Ekm.
Torque free version was not showing few of the readings like Avg FE, inst FE, acceleration test figures, body roll meter etc.. Just search google for torque pro apk file, you will get it. Otherwise in android market, it is a paid app.

@superutp:
The dongle is called ELM327 bluetooth dongle. Just search ebay.com or dealextreme.com to locate it. I bought it for $16. To be plugged to the OBD port (on board diagnosis) under the hood release lever. There is a dedicated thread for OBD relayed info. You can come to my place in the weekends if you are in Bangalore to have a look of it. I stay near Kropex, Singasandra.

@thoma/superutp:
The %load is plotted against time in the x axis. The peak shows the load increase when i floored the accl pedal. Since the app is highly customisable, there are multiple ways of displaying it like- dial, line graph, digital meter etc..
In the screenshot, there are 2 displays showing %load - half dial and line graph.
Load is mentioned as %of full load. So while idling, it is 17% of full load and when AC is turned on, the load increases by 15%(of full load) and reaches 32% - hope you got it.

Last edited by salbin : 8th February 2012 at 00:29. Reason: edit
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 14:46   #2494
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
For the rat problem, something from our T-BHP calssifieds
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...epellent.html/
I am buying one set this week.


Hope this helps.
Please let us know the result.Keep posting the update.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 08:57   #2495
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
@superutp:
The dongle is called ELM327 bluetooth dongle. Just search ebay.com or dealextreme.com to locate it. I bought it for $16. To be plugged to the OBD port (on board diagnosis) under the hood release lever. There is a dedicated thread for OBD relayed info. You can come to my place in the weekends if you are in Bangalore to have a look of it. I stay near Kropex, Singasandra.

@thoma/superutp:
The %load is plotted against time in the x axis. The peak shows the load increase when i floored the accl pedal. Since the app is highly customisable, there are multiple ways of displaying it like- dial, line graph, digital meter etc..
In the screenshot, there are 2 displays showing %load - half dial and line graph.
Load is mentioned as %of full load. So while idling, it is 17% of full load and when AC is turned on, the load increases by 15%(of full load) and reaches 32% - hope you got it.
Sure, I have your number, will let you know about meeting (and getting DIY inspiration) based on your convenience

Oh correct got the the %load vs time thing. What about flooring the pedal without a/c on? the graph shows a constant load of 17.6% which probably means you didnt right?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 12:13   #2496
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 432
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi Guys,

Just got ICE upgraded. I was having lousy speakers supplied by KROPEX. Upgraded the rears to Pioneer 300w 6X9 and the change is amazing!!! Also invested in rear parking sensors(rear view mirror type) from Xenos and jopasu glove type duster and spray car wax. The whole amount came to 5k+ and I am highly satisfied with workmanship of Reliance Autozone, HSR, especially the owner Mr Sunil
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 14:39   #2497
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
Hi Guys,

Just got ICE upgraded. I was having lousy speakers supplied by KROPEX. Upgraded the rears to Pioneer 300w 6X9 and the change is amazing!!! Also invested in rear parking sensors(rear view mirror type) from Xenos and jopasu glove type duster and spray car wax. The whole amount came to 5k+
Great job! Would you mind telling me how much the upgrade, specifically the speakers cost? And also a bit more specifics on sound quality especially at higher volumes?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 15:05   #2498
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 432
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Great job! Would you mind telling me how much the upgrade, specifically the speakers cost? And also a bit more specifics on sound quality especially at higher volumes?
Hi Supertup,

The breakup was as follows:
1. reverse parking system - Xenos- Rs 2300 (the accessories shops in ecity and around were quoting 3k+)
2. Speakers- tested sony 400w and pio 300w. felt the pio to be better in sq. Sony was having a base heavy sound- Rs 2350 for rear pair only. Keeping the current dealer supplied fronts. Hade to adjust the fader to +2 for the rear and notch up the base two levels and the sound is transformed in a HUGE way. The sound at higher volumes which used to break up earlier are sounding more punch, yet not overwhelming on bass. I had the installer tune my system after installation.
3. Jopasu Glove type duster- 450
4. Easy wax- spray type :Rs375
5. Steering cover : rs 240
6. Misc items :Rs 50

Total bill: Rs5765

And yes, the MDF board for the rear parcel cost Rs 1000. I know its pricey, but I was having a deal on the others- so didntmake a fuss.

Last edited by adg_andy : 9th February 2012 at 15:07.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 17:34   #2499
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Sure, I have your number, will let you know about meeting (and getting DIY inspiration) based on your convenience

Oh correct got the the %load vs time thing. What about flooring the pedal without a/c on? the graph shows a constant load of 17.6% which probably means you didnt right?
You may call me any time. We can possibly meet on sundays.
Since I am driving alone, it is difficult to capture the screenshots during driving. Else need to find a lonely route and try different driving conditions.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 12:06   #2500
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 432
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Guys, Whenever I switch off my A/C and only the blower is on, I get a strange smell from the air coming out. Its more like the smell coming from waterbodies. Can anyone confirm if there is any issue with the filter or not?
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 14:08   #2501
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
Guys, Whenever I switch off my A/C and only the blower is on, I get a strange smell from the air coming out. Its more like the smell coming from waterbodies. Can anyone confirm if there is any issue with the filter or not?
Its probably the filter which needs cleaning.
But it depends. If its something which has been since the start then it could be something else.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 15:19   #2502
BHPian
 
informmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Banglore/Madras
Posts: 218
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Guys, Whenever I switch off my A/C and only the blower is on, I get a strange smell from the air coming out. Its more like the smell coming from waterbodies. Can anyone confirm if there is any issue with the filter or not?
This is not a foul smell.. Even if you do the same thing in the AC at home, you will get a similar smell. Definitely this is not an issue with the filter. The actual physics is while AC works, the gas removes the heat generated, rather than adding cold. So when you are not using that gas, the heat dissipated is what comes through your blower from the filter. The filter pores also play a part in this, not to the extent of changing it. This being a small closed environment you feel it more.

Last edited by informmaha : 10th February 2012 at 15:22.
informmaha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 15:27   #2503
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 432
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
This is not a foul smell.. Even if you do the same thing in the AC at home, you will get a similar smell. Definitely this is not an issue with the filter. The actual physics is while AC works, the gas removes the heat generated, rather than adding cold. So when you are not using that gas, the heat dissipated is what comes through your blower from the filter. The filter pores also play a part in this, not to the extent of changing it. This being a small closed environment you feel it more.
The smell is like if you turn on an air cooler after a long time without water inside. For safety's sake, can someone just let me know the exact location of the air filter so that I might try to pull it out and clean it?
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 16:04   #2504
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 1,071 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

^ You mean the pollen filter? If you had searched this thread for 'pollen filter' you would have got the answer

How to remove the pollen filter is detailed in the owner's manual. Just be careful you dont break the clips by using extra force. You can also go through this page - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2160705 (Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review)

P.S. You have to remove the glove box first (no tools required) and then you will reach the pollen filter. I do not think you can use water on the pollen filter. Compressed air or vacuum cleaning is enough. Mine had lizard droppings and dry leaves in it when I first inspected it as a DIY!

Last edited by thoma : 10th February 2012 at 16:09.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 13:26   #2505
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

FE results in for my Beat. My car's done 1300kms till now. This time around 307kms, 26.18 ltrs giving 11.7km/l. Compared to 11.6 last time and 12 before that.
This is in 90% city traffic, 10% mostly Elevated tollway with A/c 70% of the times on.

Sedate driving, under 2.5k RPM most of the times. Makes me wonder if I should have bought a diesel Beat instead!!!

Last edited by superutp : 12th February 2012 at 13:27.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks