Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2023, 12:13   #3796
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone's ECM acted weirdly in the course of long ownership? My car is well past 13 years and now the ECM is acting weird. This erratic behaviour was part of the reason for my car's engine failure. The cooling fan runs at full speed only when the AC is on, and runs at normal speed when the AC is off despite of the car's engine temperature being high. My mechanic wants to check an other car's ECM but since my car is a top spec ABS+Airbags version, these models are pretty rare and rarely come for service at my mechanic's place. I will be taking the car tomorrow from him. He told me to use the car with AC on at all times.

Suggestions on this will be highly appreciated.
Old 29th November 2023, 00:15   #3797

Brother,

I am currently in a similar situation but a different journey.

Long story short after trying close to 5 different mechanics and spending good amount of money on Suspensions, AC Evaporator, Fuel Pump replacement, Injectors overhaul and engine bore my car is nearing its 10th anniversary. It has clocked in 183000km so far and badly needs a repair of close to a lakh. BTW mine is LT Diesel Black vehicle with whom I have good amount of memories and I am seriously in a dilemma whether to exchange it for less than a lakh and buy a new hatch back or get it repaired and use it for another 5 years and cross my dream number of 300000 km.

Please advise from your experience as I can see that you can somehow relate to what I am feeling. I do have a Nissan Terrano which supports me for my daily commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Hi all, My skiddz had a complete engine overhaul done availing "chevrolet promise camp" discounts!
I am planning to keep this car as beater car atleast for next 5-8 years and hence spent 80 grand on Engine Overhaul. The Car gradually lost pickup and struggled to pull post 185000. It started to consume oil, gave very bad fuel efficiency post 191000 kms. Finally at 193000 it gave up and started to breathe very badly.

We had abused the car to the core that even for its last leg journey to service cente it was driving like snail, never went past 40kmph speed .

Facts:
Odo =193000
Petrol 2011 Jan model

Odo when major Work carried untill now ( Sans periodic service)

110000- Break booster change/overhaul + ignition coil
125000 - suspension overhaul
145000 - Clutch change/ overhaul
155000 - Cooling system/waterpump/all rubber hose change/ovehaul
185000 - Ignition coil
193000- Engine piston parts change/Overhaul

All maintenance done with authorized dealer and always using Service camp availing 20% discount on parts and 20% discount on Labour.
The car is still silent without any rattles, gear shifts is slick like new, with very comfortable ride quality, so never though of lateral upgrade or exchange with a new car. My other almost new 2019 Nissan Kicks Diesel (62k odo) is serving my major commute at the moment without any fuzz!

Attachment 2401892

Rear passenger floor gave away completely !!!

Attachment 2401893

After fixing with new sheet and painting
Attachment 2401896

Engine opened up!
Attachment 2401895

Gear box and clutch open and cleaned
Attachment 2401897

Back to the Den after 20 days!
Attachment 2401898

Attachment 2401899

The most required damage!
Attachment 2401894

Attachment 2401891

The total bill came close to Rs 85,000 ( Actual 106,000 ) with camp discount of Rs14,000 for parts and Rs 6,000 for labour!
Shiv_Hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 00:18   #3798

You are giving me one more reason for not selling my black beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
After 12 years, managed to clock 2,00,000 kms in my Chevy Beat !

During the ownership , I have carried out all major repairs like clutch, suspension, coolant system, Ac Compressor, Engine overhaul, Ignition coil! Good to go for another 1 lakh !!

Happy to share the milestone

Attachment 2485272
Shiv_Hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 23:01   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Has anyone's ECM acted weirdly in the course of long ownership? My car is well past 13 years and now the ECM is acting weird. This erratic behaviour was part of the reason for my car's engine failure. The cooling fan runs at full speed only when the AC is on, and runs at normal speed when the AC is off despite of the car's engine temperature being high. My mechanic wants to check an other car's ECM but since my car is a top spec ABS+Airbags version, these models are pretty rare and rarely come for service at my mechanic's place. I will be taking the car tomorrow from him. He told me to use the car with AC on at all times.

Suggestions on this will be highly appreciated.
Sorry I'm a bit late for this but just wanted to check in.
What temperature reading is being observed and being denoted as "high" ? Since I've checked a few times over the years I'm familiar with it and can say that the Beat's fan switches to high speed only above 100*C, closer to 103-104.
I doubt that the engine ECM is the issue here. There is most likely an issue somewhere in the fan circuit itself. I had a similar issue a few years ago where the fan wouldn't move to high speed even with the AC on. It took a bit of diagnosis and trial and error but finally some "jugaad" fix was done by the AC shop and it's been fine ever since. Unfortunately I can't help you with details on what was done because the mechanic was vague about it at the time and the shop has closed post Covid
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 19:53   #3800
BHPian

My car crossed 80,000kms today, and I wanted to put up a short appreciation post for it.

The Chevrolet Beat is truly a once in a lifetime vehicle. Nothing like it existed before it came, and nothing as good as it came after it got discontinued. I am not aware of the later versions but atleast the initial versions were truly special. My car was in perfect condition till an accident that happened in November 2022. There were absolutely zero squeaks in the interiors before the accident. Things were a little different post the accident, as a lot of interior bits needed to be removed. The engine of the car was in perfect condition all throughout these years. It never gave up on us(until recently which was all because of my or rather my mechanic's fault). The S-tech motor had decent grunt and dare I say a strong top end. Fuel efficiency was satisfactory, as it still returns 13+kpl in the city with AC on at all times.

All of this aside, what makes me like the Beat so much? The feel of the car. The Beat makes you feel connected to the car. The lovely lovely hydraulic power steering makes you feel every turn that you take, and the brakes have good feel. I am failing to express further, but this is one car that really communicates with you. It is a tight handler as well, it takes corners really well. I haven't driven the benchmark Polo till date(I drove its elder brother Vento), but I would say the best handling hatchback I've driven till date has to be the Beat.

Engine refinement is unreal, the gearbox, though rubbery, slots into gears perfectly well, the interior has held up really well even after 13 years. I have so many positives about this car.

I really miss GM. There was nothing wrong with the company. It was just that at one point, their line up was outdated and this was combined with a clueless bunch of management people. This was what made GM leave the country. Had GM still been in business, we would've happily bought a car from them again. Heck at one point I even contemplated about buying a used Cruze but dropped out only because there weren't good cars within my reach.

I really love this car, and would like to touch the 1 lac milestone soon. This is one car that I would like to keep for a lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-snapchat885909422.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-snapchat1948695612.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-snapchat1930235211.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-snapchat352559216.jpg  

saikishor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:12   #3801
BHPian

Our Beat's AC system stopped working some days ago. At first there was some kind of loud squealing belt noises followed by sudden drop of pickup at times and then no cool air coming out at all.
Called our FNG's mechanic and told him the ordeal, he said it's most probably a jammed compressor and AC clutch. Since he was out of town so he couldn't come and rectify the problem by himself but he gave me an estimate of around 15k-18k.
I think it's the compressor too but what else can it be?
Old 2nd January 2024, 14:31   #3802
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My car crossed 80,000kms today, and I wanted to put up a short appreciation post for it.
WOW. I wanted to write up on this topic but you steal the show. :

DITTO my feeling about the car. My beat is almost 13 years old now with 110000 KM. I fully agree with everything that you wrote. Be it handling, cornering or braking, beat will never give me any surprises. I love the way it behaves on the corner. There are a few turns on my way to the office and I pray to get them empty just to floor the accelerator down on the corner. Ohh it feels great and brings a smile to the face.

I do have a Tata Zest and a newly added Renault Kiger. None of them give me that confidence in braking or cornering; though they are from different segments.

Quote:
Fuel efficiency was satisfactory, as it still returns 13+kpl in the city with AC on at all times.
Mine is a factory-fitted LPG+petrol and gives ~ 15 KMPL in the city with AC on.

I did many long runs in the car but my beat never left me stranded in the middle of the way.

The only issue I faced with the beat is the rear lamp water leakage on the LH side. I believe this is the design flaw and I spotted many beat with the same issue.

I would like to use the beat for a couple of more years before I zeroed down on a new one. Right now I am enjoying the bitter car experience with NO EMI. It's such a pleasure.

Here is a glimpse of mine.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat1.jpg

Have a great journey ahead.
satish.gawai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 02:38   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Man you guys are truly tugging on the heartstrings !!
My Beat will turn 13 in May and has clocked 55000 kms so far.
Unfortunately it feels like it somehow aged a lot during the pandemic and has a few small issues and battle scars thanks to Bombay traffic. Im considering replacing it because of this and also because it had become my wife's car around town but nowadays she travels out more than she uses it in the city so the Beat doesn't get much use.
But every time I take it for a spin, I get reminded of why I love the car so much and immediately have my doubts. This has pretty much been going on for the last year+ LOL. It's far, far better to drive and well built compared to the 5 year old Dzire I now daily and has aged much better than the newer car.
I think the only thing that I would replace it with was if I found a really nice Polo GT TSI
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 13:08   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Another annual service done. ODO @ 118136 KMs.

Beaty will turn 14 next month. Time is running out.

Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Air Filter changed. Throttle Body cleaned. Brake pads cleaned and calipers greased. Got a thorough wash at Ford service bay since Hyundai's bay was full.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat-service-2024.jpg

Hope to add 10000 more Kms before parting away forever
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks