Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 02:52   #3646
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi folks,

Posting on behalf of a friend who owns a Chevy Beat 1.2 LT 2011

Initial Issue : Whining noise from the A/C vents while A/C is running

After scheduled maintenance last week, there is a shrill noise from the a/c vents while a/c is running. ASC had cleaned the AC duct and replaced AC filter during service. After this the source of the noise was traced to somewhere around the rear seats. The SAs did not have a convincing response. One said it was from the door latch, another said it was from the Fuel pump, hence needs to be replaced costing 6K. The door latch story doesn't seem right, and if the fuel pump is faulty, there is absolutely no other issue with the way the car is performing.

Has anyone here encountered this issue ? could you help me with the possible causes and solutions ?
Old 29th April 2016, 19:09   #3647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hi folks,

Posting on behalf of a friend who owns a Chevy Beat 1.2 LT 2011

Initial Issue : Whining noise from the A/C vents while A/C is running

After scheduled maintenance last week, there is a shrill noise from the a/c vents while a/c is running. ASC had cleaned the AC duct and replaced AC filter during service. After this the source of the noise was traced to somewhere around the rear seats. The SAs did not have a convincing response. One said it was from the door latch, another said it was from the Fuel pump, hence needs to be replaced costing 6K. The door latch story doesn't seem right, and if the fuel pump is faulty, there is absolutely no other issue with the way the car is performing.

Has anyone here encountered this issue ? could you help me with the possible causes and solutions ?
Its most likely the fuel pump. There have been a few reports in this thread of a humming whining noise coming from the fuel pump
Old 6th May 2016, 17:18   #3648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Its most likely the fuel pump. There have been a few reports in this thread of a humming whining noise coming from the fuel pump
Is this serious? because I am also witnessing this, especially with AC in full blower speed and stop-go traffic conditions.

Plus, I have recently witnessed a couple of time - starting the car during hot afternoon, I kept the car idling and AC running at full speed, engine suddenly stopped! not witnessed the same while idling if car is already running a few KMs and stopped thereafter.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:06   #3649
Senior - BHPian

Yes fuel pump is a critical component get it check and repaired or replaced. From what you mentioned yours could also be an alternator issue so get that checked as well
Old 14th May 2016, 15:18   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Beat's 12th paid service done today.

ODO reading : 47986 KMs

Nothing major to work on this time. Just general check and fluid topping including coolant. They had written Throttle cleaning and Brake check under labour. But not sure about their genuinity. Also asked to tune the horn that sometimes only one will blow making a funny note.

Total damage to the pocket Rs. 1850/-

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_20160514_11_47_04_pro.jpg

Even though a second Saturday it was sad to see that the service centre was almost empty which shows the current state of GMI.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 27th May 2016, 17:02   #3651
BHPian

Putting this post up to mention the solidity of Beat's plastic parts: I was travelling to office yesterday morning when I approached a turn on a narrow village road ( enough for 2 vehicles to pass). At the apex of teh turn I noticed a Truck approaching the turn at high speed, on my side of the road!! The truck swerved and I braked, but I heard a big thud on the outside(and the ORVM folded in- for the umpteenth time). The mirror was dangling out. I just pushed the mirror in and drove on- just a faint scratch on the mirror back. Thanking my stars now
OT: Engine check had come on for one day now. (There was a similar recurrence in Bangalore 2 months back. They had checked and diagnosed some silly fault with air intake ). This time it vanished on its own. Also, I have had LEDs as parking lights and the right one is again flickering for the 5th time(Always the right flickers for some time and conks off-) Any suggestions?
Old 31st May 2016, 17:16   #3652
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2012 Chevrolet Beat LT (P).
It's a wonderful companion with no major problem till date.

Only problem that I faced was with fuel pumps. As per my understanding from interaction with senior mechanic from authorized service center in Pune, fuel pump issues are mostly seen because of either of following two reasons:
  1. You usually drive car with fuel less than half capacity of tank
  2. Battery is not able to provide sufficient voltage of at least 10V.

First reason does not look logical to me.
I replaced first fuel pump in May 2014, almost after 2 year of car purchase. It was replaced under regular warranty.
My second fuel pump replacement was in April 2016, this time under extended warranty. But even with new pump, I am able to hear "whistle" when I start the car. I am following up with Chevrolet on this.
Recently I had to replace battery as it was causing strain on fuel pump. But still I can hear noise. I will keep you all posted on status of my new pump.

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2016, 14:03   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Beat LT Petrol: Gear knob wear and tear

My Beaty had entered into her 7th year of service and few major wear (cracks) appearing on gear knob in last few months.

Initially it was webbed cracks, but day before yesterday a rubber piece got dislodged while driving. I managed to recover it from the floor and pasted back using Fevikwik. I think I should change the entire lever to fix the knob.

Before
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_20160602_23_47_39_pro.jpg
After
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_20160603_20_17_42_pro.jpg

Mean while the clutch is failing finally. It is not the contact part, but the spring I guess. Sometimes it is very difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd. The stick wont respond as it is welded in that position. I need a quick second short clutch depressing to shift. SA told that a clutch replacement is imminent. But mileage is still intact and rest of gear shifts are butter smooth as ever before. Planning to change the clutch after 50K KMs. Approx. cost for the repair is 17K including flywheel.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 6th June 2016, 20:44   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beat LT Petrol: Gear knob wear and tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My Beaty had entered into her 7th year of service and few major wear (cracks) appearing on gear knob in last few months.

Initially it was webbed cracks, but day before yesterday a rubber piece got dislodged while driving. I managed to recover it from the floor and pasted back using Fevikwik. I think I should change the entire lever to fix the knob.

Before
Attachment 1514568
After
Attachment 1514569

Mean while the clutch is failing finally. It is not the contact part, but the spring I guess. Sometimes it is very difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd. The stick wont respond as it is welded in that position. I need a quick second short clutch depressing to shift. SA told that a clutch replacement is imminent. But mileage is still intact and rest of gear shifts are butter smooth as ever before. Planning to change the clutch after 50K KMs. Approx. cost for the repair is 17K including flywheel.

Cheers!

Vinu
Myavu, Im experiencing the same problems. My Beat has done 5 years and 36k km. My gear knob rubber also cracked and I stuck the piece back with fevikwik, then I wrapped it badminton racket grip tape as a temporary solution. I couldnt find a good tight fittings solution at accessory shops and was feeling a bit lazy to go to the area where leather car upholstery is made. Just this evening I noticed a newish leather upholstery shop guy nearby. He had a brief look to understand but I had to move ahead quickly as some guys were making preparations to break the Ramadan fast. He did mentioned full gear lever will have to be removed to stitch the cover though. Ill check back with him soon when I get a chance.

I have also started to get a bit of issues slotting into 1st gear and occasionally 2nd and Reverse, even though clutch is fully depressed I have to release and depress again to make it slot in. This is only sometimes though, say 30% of the time. Other times and gears work smoothly though and there arent any other signs of clutch wear. Could this problem be solved by greasing the clutch cable or changing Transmission fluid (manual doesnt give replacement time frame) or maybe some spring that you mentioned ?
Old 7th June 2016, 19:44   #3655
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the Double post

Myavu an update for you : 1st and 2nd were feeling quite hard to slot today so I went to my FNG. He said its a clutch setting issue and went under the car and did something near the radiator which changed the position of the clutch pedal. After a few different positions which didnt feel good I found the sweet spot and the clutch and gears are working fine now and feel normal in all gears.

One thing that had me worried was the mechanic said the clutch could be wearing out and a replacement might be needed in sometime. I hope its not true as I would like to avoid it as I will be selling the car in a year or so.
A driver who I mentioned the gearbox issue to said that it could be due to some bearings getting worn out in the gearbox. No idea what he meant, could someone shed some light on this ?

I will update on the gear knob wrap when I get a chance
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 17:10   #3656
Senior - BHPian

In my case it is not the position. I am completely ok with the bite point and clutch travel. The problem is whenever I try to shift from 1st to second the lever will not move at all. So need a quick second half release/press to make the lever move and shift it to the 2nd gear. I too strongly believe it is the clutch spring.

Last edited by myavu : 8th June 2016 at 17:24.
Old 8th June 2016, 19:45   #3657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case it is not the position. I am completely ok with the bite point and clutch travel. The problem is whenever I try to shift from 1st to second the lever will not move at all. So need a quick second half release/press to make the lever move and shift it to the 2nd gear. I too strongly believe it is the clutch spring.
Hi, I guess I didnt explain clearly enough in the last post. My clutch position and travel was fine and I was experiencing the shifting problem. Post the mechanics repositioning, its pretty much at the same point but now the gear shifting works fine and normal. I guess fiddling with it helped in some way and all for the sum of Rs 50 ! So give it a try, it wont cost you much.

Also in case it helps someone he gave me the quotation for clutch replacement. Its 3700 for the clutch plate and bearings + 1700 for his labour and flywheel refinishing for a total of Rs 5400. Quite reasonable I would say.
On opening if it appears like the transmission fluid requires replacement then that is extra charge but he said in most cases its not required,

I will update you on the Gear knob cover on Saturday if I get a chance to visit the shop
Old 8th June 2016, 21:04   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Are you consulting a FNG or GMI Service Centre? The charges are peanuts when compared to my quote from Metro Chevrolet. Their quote includes Clutch, Pressure Plate, Transmission Oil, Flywheel, Labour = 17K

Cheers!
Old 10th June 2016, 18:42   #3659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Are you consulting a FNG or GMI Service Centre? The charges are peanuts when compared to my quote from Metro Chevrolet. Their quote includes Clutch, Pressure Plate, Transmission Oil, Flywheel, Labour = 17K

Cheers!
Its from a trusted FNG. Try the clutch adjustment. He adjusted something just inside the bumper/radiator area. Even though the position might come back to stock or close to it (as in my case) it did make a difference and for 50-100 bucks its worth trying out
Old 11th June 2016, 03:28   #3660
BHPian

My Beat Petrol is 3.5 years old now. I have had a persistent problem of a drumming/rattling noise coming from underneath the car while going over uneven surfaces.

It started off as a drumming noise from the left wheel. I have pointed it out on many occasions to Trident Chevrolet, Indiranagar (always had it serviced there). In this process, firstly the Left Caliper Pin was replaced on a couple of occasions but the drumming noise kept recurring. After this the entire Caliper was replaced but still nothing changed. They even changed the left side Link Rod in the last service, but even that did not help! Off-late the drumming has turned into a terrible rattling (which does not seem to be restricted to the left side alone) & I just don't have a clue of what could be causing this.

All I know is its coming from underneath the vehicle while going over uneven surfaces & is very unpleasant to say the least. I have had no other issue with the car & absolutely love it to bits! But this really is spoiling my experience.

I have also noticed that if I lug the car in a higher gear than its supposed to be in at a particular speed, there is excessive vibration! While pressing the brakes seem to eliminate the vibration/rattling!

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out on pointing out what could be wrong! Engine Mounts? Gearbox? How do I ask the service center to fix this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks