Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:36   #1621
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 290
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Decided to try out the Tiruvanamalai stretch after a long time yesterday. Left Pondy at 6:00 am and was in HSR Layout, Bangalore at 11:45 with a breakfast stop at Tiruvanamalai for 25 min. The route I used was
Pondy-Tindivanam-Tiruvanamalai-Chengam-Singarapettai-Thirupattur- Krishnagiri.

The is very much doable and it cuts down on approx. 40 kms and a couple of tolls as well. The only stretch I found bad was for 4 Kms in Tindivanam town limits. There are a few stretches were the roads narrow down but that is very much manageable.
m8002? is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:32   #1622
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 942
Thanked: 169 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
The is very much doable and it cuts down on approx. 40 kms and a couple of tolls as well. The only stretch I found bad was for 4 Kms in Tindivanam town limits. There are a few stretches were the roads narrow down but that is very much manageable.
Thanks for the update. Good to hear that it's getting ready. What was your ride?
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:41   #1623
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 290
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Thanks for the update. Good to hear that it's getting ready. What was your ride?
2006 Baleno ( with a slightly weak suspension if I can add )
If you have a car with better GC, this stretch should be a the one you should take. One can easily maintain 70-80kmph in most sections. My guess is in a couple of months, Chengam bye-pass also should be ready.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:50   #1624
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
My guess is in a couple of months, Chengam bye-pass also should be ready.
Did not get this one. If you are going via Tiruvannamalai, you dont need to go to Chengam.

Or is it that you just updated the status of the bypass?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:16   #1625
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 290
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did not get this one. If you are going via Tiruvannamalai, you dont need to go to Chengam.

Or is it that you just updated the status of the bypass?
How can one avoid chengam on the way to singarapettai?
On the bypass, I was following Google maps and not see any directions for it. However on coming out from chengam, the road joins the bypass where work is in progress.

If you notice Google maps shows the bypass but will mark your route through chengam.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:22   #1626
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
How can one avoid chengam on the way to singarapettai?
Oops my bad! I confused with Cheyyar! Thats why my previous comment.

Great to note Chengam bypass is also on the way.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:26   #1627
BHPian
 
gopikb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Decided to try out the Tiruvanamalai stretch after a long time yesterday. Left Pondy at 6:00 am and was in HSR Layout, Bangalore at 11:45 with a breakfast stop at Tiruvanamalai for 25 min. The route I used was
Pondy-Tindivanam-Tiruvanamalai-Chengam-Singarapettai-Thirupattur- Krishnagiri.

The is very much doable and it cuts down on approx. 40 kms and a couple of tolls as well. The only stretch I found bad was for 4 Kms in Tindivanam town limits. There are a few stretches were the roads narrow down but that is very much manageable.
m8002, the krishnagiri - tiruvannamalai stretch was well known for the sudden huge craters which can come out of the blue to break car's suspension since the past 6~7 years. Did you mean that those are history and the roads have been tarred now with no surprise elements?
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 06:55   #1628
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
m8002, the krishnagiri - tiruvannamalai stretch was well known for the sudden huge craters which can come out of the blue to break car's suspension since the past 6~7 years. Did you mean that those are history and the roads have been tarred now with no surprise elements?
What you are talking is about a decade back when the entire stretch was full of craters. I went by the above mentioned route in May 2016 and found the road to be very much motorable. Infact I drove from Chetpet to Bangalore via Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, Krishnagiri and Hosur. Work was going on in Singarapettai as a part of road widening. Otherwise no issues.
suresh_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:36   #1629
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 290
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
m8002, the krishnagiri - tiruvannamalai stretch was well known for the sudden huge craters which can come out of the blue to break car's suspension since the past 6~7 years. Did you mean that those are history and the roads have been tarred now with no surprise elements?
Like suresh_gs mentioned above, this leg of the route is very much motorable.
My understanding is that the second part of the original NH66A, ie, Singarapettai--Mathur--krishnagiri section is still bad and work is in progress. So your route should be Singarapettai-thirupathur-Bargur-Krishnagiri.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:20   #1630
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,078
Thanked: 2,353 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I drove from Chetpet to Bangalore via Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, Krishnagiri and Hosur. Work was going on in Singarapettai as a part of road widening. Otherwise no issues.
I will be driving to Pondy during the dreaded republic day long weekend. Planning to take tindivanam - Chengam route on the way back. Wanted to check if there is any way to bypass Krishnagiri & Attibele tolls as it will be absolute mayhem on 29th Jan and hence want to avoid. I need to get to Yeshwantpur and hence any route that gets me to nice road will work. How is rayakottai - kelamangalam - Attibele? Does it join housur road after Attibele toll?
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:31   #1631
BHPian
 
redcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 210
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I will be driving to Pondy during the dreaded republic day long weekend. Planning to take tindivanam - Chengam route on the way back. Wanted to check if there is any way to bypass Krishnagiri & Attibele tolls as it will be absolute mayhem on 29th Jan and hence want to avoid. I need to get to Yeshwantpur and hence any route that gets me to nice road will work. How is rayakottai - kelamangalam - Attibele? Does it join housur road after Attibele toll?
You can bypass attibele toll if you take the begalur route and reach Whitefield. But I am not sure how to bypass krishnagiri toll.
redcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:54   #1632
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 290
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I will be driving to Pondy during the dreaded republic day long weekend. Planning to take tindivanam - Chengam route on the way back. Wanted to check if there is any way to bypass Krishnagiri & Attibele tolls as it will be absolute mayhem on 29th Jan and hence want to avoid. I need to get to Yeshwantpur and hence any route that gets me to nice road will work. How is rayakottai - kelamangalam - Attibele? Does it join housur road after Attibele toll?
You may want to consider the Pondi-Arcot-Chittoor-Kolar-Hoskote route to avoid Krishnagiri and Hosur. Then take the ring road to Yeshwantpur.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:39   #1633
BHPian
 
redcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 210
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
You may want to consider the Pondi-Arcot-Chittoor-Kolar-Hoskote route to avoid Krishnagiri and Hosur. Then take the ring road to Yeshwantpur.
Yes this a very good idea only downside here would be lack of good eateries and heavy truck movement. If you can manage this then take this route.
redcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:41   #1634
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,427
Thanked: 8,297 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Yes this a very good idea only downside here would be lack of good eateries and heavy truck movement. If you can manage this then take this route.
There are couple of decent places in Thiruvannamalai. But then one will need wade through the city traffic to find these places. Even if the road comes out clean, I would still prefer the Cheyyar/Vandasi, just for the good hotels!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:47   #1635
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 894
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Like suresh_gs mentioned above, this leg of the route is very much motorable.
My understanding is that the second part of the original NH66A, ie, Singarapettai--Mathur--krishnagiri section is still bad and work is in progress. So your route should be Singarapettai-thirupathur-Bargur-Krishnagiri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What you are talking is about a decade back when the entire stretch was full of craters. I went by the above mentioned route in May 2016 and found the road to be very much motorable. Infact I drove from Chetpet to Bangalore via Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur, Bargur, Krishnagiri and Hosur. Work was going on in Singarapettai as a part of road widening. Otherwise no issues.
One of my colleague travelled to pondy during christmas vacation in NH66 straight route via uthangarai in his XUV and said the road is motorable and no major craters though the road construction is going on and diversions are there. I was totally/pleasantly shocked to hear that. He said he was able to reach Pondy in about 7 hours including breaks.

Though i cannot personally confirm it, but that seems to be a better news to hear that the direct route is motorable.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rajahmundry to Pondicherry : Route Queries penpusher Route / Travel Queries 11 11th November 2015 08:47
Bangalore-Pondicherry : Best route to take? binz Route / Travel Queries 4 27th May 2009 10:04
Bangalore -Thiruvannamalai - Pondicherry route. Ram Pratap Route / Travel Queries 2 25th September 2007 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks