Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post

My Requirements:
On road price : upto 15 lacs
Engine: petrol
1st preference : power

2nd preference : comfort
3rd preference : gadgetery/features and looks
Powerful petrol engined cars in the vicinity of 15 lacs are the Laura 1.8 TSI and the Linea T Jet.

The Elantra petrol will disappoint you. Though the specs on paper may sound good, real world performance from Hyundai's is so so. Hyundai's are good if bling and lots of features is what you are looking for in a car. Also the suspension in the Elantra is tuned for comfort and the handling will not put a smile on your face, if you are looking for enthusiastic performance. The last gen Elantra had a multilink suspension, whereas the new fluidic Elantra loses out on this. Most manufacturers are taking this route in trying to keep the costs down. Even the new Octavia (Diesel) loses out on this. Whether the 1.8 TSI Octavia gets the mulitlink set up, remains to be seen. The Elantra is due to receive a facelift only. I doubt whether the suspension will get any updates.

The Jetta 1.4 TSI also is not the car if you are looking for performance. The 2.0 TDi actually has much stronger performance. For the asking price, the performance from the 1.4 TSi is not so great, considering the fact that the Jetta is quite a heavy car.

The new Octavia 1.8 TSI will most certainly cost more than the Laura 1.8 TSI, and being new, you will not get any discounts. If I were you I'd be scouting for a Laura 1.8 TSI Ambition or a Laura VRS. Skoda has stopped producing these in 2013 and I believe they are sold out.

In today's diesel dominated market the choice for 'petrol'heads is really small. If you are open to diesels, that opens out a lot of other options.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 20:43   #332
BHPian

Thanks simple_car, lamborghini and santoshbhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

In today's diesel dominated market the choice for 'petrol'heads is really small. If you are open to diesels, that opens out a lot of other options.
So lets say I am open to both petrol and diesel then what options do I have.
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 02:36   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Thanks simple_car, lamborghini and santoshbhat.

Sadly, still not much.

You can add the Laura TDi, Cruze, and Jetta TDi to the list.
The Cruze has the highest power on paper, and also quite a few features that are bound to impress.

My favorite remains the Laura TDi. But if you can afford the petrol, and don't mind a manual, get the vRS instead. Better performance, features, and dynamics.

What will really be a game changer is if you are open to pre-owned cars. Not just any pre-owned cars, but there are many D-Segment vehicles that are around 2 years old, with ridiculously low odo readings. Being petrols, they are a depreciation disaster too.
Look for the old-gen Passat, Superb, Superb V6
Old 18th August 2013, 09:58   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My pick would be the Laura Ambition TDi DSG. Its one heck of a fast car. The Ambition misses out on some bling features, but most of the safety features are there. But again it may be hard to find as Skoda seems to have exhausted most of its stock.

The Jetta TDi MT and the Cruze MT are other options. The Jetta TDI DSG is available in Highline trim only and is quite expensive. The Cruze MT is a fast car on open roads and highways but if you drive within city more often then the turbo lag and heavy clutch may be bothersome.
Old 18th August 2013, 13:02   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Powerful petrol engined cars in the vicinity of 15 lacs are the Laura 1.8 TSI and the Linea T Jet.
I think the Laura 1.8 TSI is not available anywhere. Atleast in bangalore all dealers have confirmed that TSI is out of production in Laura and one of them even said TSI Superb is also unavailable. The idling stocks also seems to be zero. Octavia 1.8 TSI (would be atleast 20% more expensive than Laura) is the only hope I guess now if you donot want to scale down engine size to 1.4 TSI where Jetta comes in picture.
Old 18th August 2013, 14:33   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

PS: Check out for deals on the Maruti Suzuki Kizashi, as well as the Honda Civic if any stock is available.
If you're open to pre-owned, look for a low milage, still in warranty, petrol Superb TSi M/T or the V6. Even the Accord V6 might keep you happy.
Is the Kizashi to stay here for some time or would Maruti discontinue it like its other performance oriented models. I own a Baleno and would not like to be in the same situation again unless they are going to support the model for some time atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
I think the Laura 1.8 TSI is not available anywhere. Atleast in bangalore all dealers have confirmed that TSI is out of production in Laura and one of them even said TSI Superb is also unavailable. The idling stocks also seems to be zero. Octavia 1.8 TSI (would be atleast 20% more expensive than Laura) is the only hope I guess now if you donot want to scale down engine size to 1.4 TSI where Jetta comes in picture.
Any facelift or upgrade expected on the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 petrol. How would that compare to the others on the list?
Old 18th August 2013, 19:43   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Is the Kizashi to stay here for some time or would Maruti discontinue it like its other performance oriented models. I own a Baleno..
Any facelift or upgrade expected on the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 petrol. How would that compare to the others on the list?
Whether Kizashi is here to stay or not depends on maruti itself. Maruti gives fantastic support for all its vehicles. I am surprised that you are finding issues with your baleno.. kizashi spares are bound to be expensive but the factory will give you support upto 7 years from the date when kizashi's production is stopped.

There is a corolla facelift announced for international markets. I have no idea when it'll come to india. I don't think the toyota will satisfy your requirements at all.. its power on paper is fair, but drive it and it disappoints.

If you are open to diesels, your options will still be limited to cruze, laura and jetta.
Cruze will satisy your power needs and gives decent tech as well. But the laura and jetta feel much better as a whole car. Take a test drive and decide which ones you like. Its a personal call between all these vehicles.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 21:26   #338
BHPian

Just buy a Sonata v6 and you will be very happy
Old 18th August 2013, 22:21   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
According to the review, power on paper, i.e. 200 horses of it, doesn't seem to translate into sheer performance in the real world. Besides, it's more of a chauffeur driven car when you consider the rear bench and cabin room on disposal.

The Kizashi is a good option. Like somebody else mentioned, servicing the car shouldn't be a problem. MSIL is obliged to offer full support vis-à-vis spare parts for a certain period. But the possibility of the car waiting for spare parts to arrive is something you should be prepared for.

And since you're open to considering petrol cars, the Jetta 1.4 TSI is worth a look. A great all rounder, in my opinion.
Old 18th August 2013, 22:27   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
You don't get a Sonata V6 in India.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:32   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

If you are open to diesels, your options will still be limited to cruze, laura and jetta.
Cruze will satisy your power needs and gives decent tech as well. But the laura and jetta feel much better as a whole car. Take a test drive and decide which ones you like. Its a personal call between all these vehicles.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

And since you're open to considering petrol cars, the Jetta 1.4 TSI is worth a look. A great all rounder, in my opinion.
Thanks guys...

slimmed down to the following options:
Volkswagon 1.4 TSI trendline
Vollkwagon 2.0 TDI trendline
Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI
Hyundai Elantra 1.8 SX AT

awaiting test drives now. The showrooms in noida dont have petrol TD vehicles so lets see if they arrange something. Skoda Octavia will take another couple of weeks to reach the showrooms.

Can anyone point me towards a performance spec comparison between the above vehicles in terms of 0-80 kmph and 80-140 kmph acceleration?

I have also not being able to find a substantial review of the volkswagon and hyundai petrol engines?
Old 28th August 2013, 19:31   #342
BHPian

I have a feeling the old horse Octavia will please you. Keep us posted :-)
Old 31st August 2013, 21:31   #343
BHPian

Test drove the Hyundai Elantra 1.8 SX AT (petrol).

Notes

Positives:
1. The drive was decently fun, probably the manual transmission would be even better in terms of sporty or fun drive.
2. Ventilated front seats.
3. Electronically adjustable driver seat.
4. Elegant design (both exterior and interior).
5. Roomy cabin.

Negatives:
1. AT feels little sluggish in the second gear. It feels like there is a lag as felt with a turbo (This is the first time I drove an AT so maybe all AT behave this way)
2. Tiptronic does not feel natural (again it could be because I was driving an AT for the first time)
3. Boot space is less as compared to Jetta and Laura.
4. Rear seats do not fold to give more boot space.
5. The build does not feel solid like the Europeans.

Awaiting TD of manual transmission of Elantra 1.8 SX, VW Jetta 1.4 TSI, Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
Old 4th September 2013, 16:36   #344
BHPian

A relative of mine is looking for a car in the 15-18 lac segment. Here goes the requirements.

- Will be driven for a maximum of 1000 kms a month. In between it can go as low as 500 if not taken to office.
- Petrol. 1000 kms or lesser doesn't warrant a diesel is what he feels.
- Should be an automatic. No manuals.
- It will be driven within the city of Bangalore(90%) with occasional highway trips thrown in (read 4-5 a year).
- It will be 100 % self driven. So it should be driver centric.
- Should be relatively fun to drive. Not the ones which open up only at high speeds and a lugging feeling otherwise.
- On highways, it will not be driven beyond 120/130. So good performance and dynamics up until those speeds is sufficient.
- Long term ownership. So it has to be reliable and maintenance friendly as the car will be kept for 5 plus years.
- Not in a hurry. Willing to wait if something good and apt is on its way.

He feels Altis CVT should suffice.
IMHO with that kinda budget he should be considering more options and hence this post.
Old 4th September 2013, 17:23   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
A relative of mine is looking for a car in the 15-18 lac segment. Here goes the requirements.

- Will be driven for a maximum of 1000 kms a month. In between it can go as low as 500 if not taken to office.
- Petrol. 1000 kms or lesser doesn't warrant a diesel is what he feels.
- Should be an automatic. No manuals.
- It will be driven within the city of Bangalore(90%) with occasional highway trips thrown in (read 4-5 a year).
- It will be 100 % self driven. So it should be driver centric.
- Should be relatively fun to drive. Not the ones which open up only at high speeds and a lugging feeling otherwise.
- On highways, it will not be driven beyond 120/130. So good performance and dynamics up until those speeds is sufficient.
- Long term ownership. So it has to be reliable and maintenance friendly as the car will be kept for 5 plus years.
- Not in a hurry. Willing to wait if something good and apt is on its way.
Option 1: Wait for the new Octavia. If reports are to be believed, the 1.8 TSI with DSG should arrive in India.

Option 2: Since its 100% self driven, save around 5+ lakhs and get a Polo GT TSI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks