Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 20:26   #1
BHPian

Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

As if finalizing the budget is not a chore enough, you have the ultimate dilemma of the choice of cars - choice, or the lack of it!

Here it is ->

- 15 Lac OTR Surat (stretched out budget - cannot afford to go any further)
- No Innova (having already owned one)
- Has to be a Diesel
- Back-seat comfort a priority
- Enthusiastic enough to be a highway cruiser
- Average mileage of 60,000 kms a year

Please suggest me the best buy, comfort and kit being of decent importance! This is pretty urgent.

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th May 2011, 20:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Laura and Cruze are the cars you should be looking at (though rear seat isn't either's strong point). Or if you can wait then the 2011 Jetta should be good.

If you are tall and have to choose now then IMO pick Laura. Cruze is one heck of a car but it's rear seat can be uncomfortable for tall people.
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 21:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would have suggested Yeti if you did not have Innova.
Other than that it is pretty much Laura & Cruze.
However a Superb clicks your boxes just fine. A bit Pricey though.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 21:25   #4
dot
Senior - BHPian

While Laura and Cruze are "automatic" choices for Diesel in this budget, I would suggest to check out the Vento Diesel too. Its a pretty competent performer when pitted against the two, however lacks the refinement and some features. But then you also get to save about 4L.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 21:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I think its either the cruze or the vento. 60000kms per year(typo?). I will suggest stay away from skoda. They wont be reliable on that kind of running for sure. Cruze LT will fit your budget really nicely. Its around 13L OTR. You might also be able to squeeze in the LTZ if you extend your budget to around 15.5L.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 22:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
60000kms per year(typo?).
Don't think that's a typo. It's quite realistic to do 5k kms a month. Personally know 2 people who do that kind of running.

Quote:
I will suggest stay away from skoda. They wont be reliable on that kind of running for sure.
Really? What makes you say that?
Old 9th May 2011, 22:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Sonata Transform CRDI is the car for you. It's a full one size bigger than the Cruze and Laura, therefore is spacious. The Ride again is tuned for comfort and works wonders for someone with backseat as priority. The Engine is punchy and super tall gearing is suited for Highway cruising.

But it is about to be discontinued, the new Sonata is coming soon. It is a depreciation disaster, though you may get huge discounts. Driving it in city traffic is not an easy task thanks to the huge size, the turbo lag and tall gearing. Avoid Automatic version.

Cruze and Laura both are not spacious at rear but other wise the comfort levels are good in both.

You can also wait for the Renault Fluence. It's coming next month with 1.5 Diesel producing 105hp and 240nm.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th May 2011 at 22:17. Reason: Fluence added.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 22:26   #8
BHPian

Wait for the Force SUV being launched in June End.

140 bhp. OM611.

The 200,000 kms vehicle testing is finished successfully now. Some misc fine tuning is going on.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Really? What makes you say that?
What makes me say so is all the horror stories spread everywhere on this forum. Various parts falling apart at just 40-50000 kms. With his kind of running I will really not recommend him to go down that line. Ofcourse the final decision lies with him. But I will surely not recommend Skoda for that kind of serious running.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hyundai Sonata Transform CRDI is the car for you.
+1. Or if a sedan is not a priority, the Tata Aria.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 22:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Buy anything but ensure 4 year coverage package. With the kind of running you would be doing, you need to get the car serviced every 2-3 months. A warranty coverage would ensure complete peace of mind.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 00:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Buy anything but ensure 4 year coverage package. With the kind of running you would be doing, you need to get the car serviced every 2-3 months. A warranty coverage would ensure complete peace of mind.
AFAIK no car in the segment comes with a 4 year unlimited Kms warranty.
Old 10th May 2011, 03:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... 60000kms per year(typo?)...
My immediate neighbor is a Radiologist who owns a '10 Fiesta. Last month when I saw the odo, it was ~70000. Quite possible.

As for the OP's quirey, my choice would be Cruze. Excellent mile munching abilities, and a torque monster under the hood to put a grin on you face during those long highway drives.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 04:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you open to used cars?
If so, look for a sparingly used Superb, or similar. You should find a year old example at around 15L.
If not, the only new car you could possibly consider is the Tata Aria. The Laura did not impress me in terms of space, especially in the back.
If you are willing to give up the performance part, how about the Corolla Altis D4-D?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 07:51   #15
BHPian

Thank you very much, every one, for the overnight help I appreciate it much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Laura and Cruze are the cars you should be looking at (though rear seat isn't either's strong point). Or if you can wait then the 2011 Jetta should be good.

If you are tall and have to choose now then IMO pick Laura. Cruze is one heck of a car but it's rear seat can be uncomfortable for tall people.
Jetta goes out of my budget - nothing over 15 lacs OTR. That's my stretched budget. I have Cruze LTZ as my first choice now - 14.75 OTR, Surat.
Have to find out about Laura Ambiente though - isn't it far more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I would have suggested Yeti if you did not have Innova.
Other than that it is pretty much Laura & Cruze.
However a Superb clicks your boxes just fine. A bit Pricey though.
I love the Yeti! It is just out of my budget :-( Superb is 20+, automatically ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
While Laura and Cruze are "automatic" choices for Diesel in this budget, I would suggest to check out the Vento Diesel too. Its a pretty competent performer when pitted against the two, however lacks the refinement and some features. But then you also get to save about 4L.
Vento Diesel is a segment lower. I buy a car to keep it for atleast 4 years, and hence would rather spend on a C+ segment machine. I would like to know more about Laura now! Cruze seems to be a favorite among T-bhpians too.

Quote:
I think its either the cruze or the vento.
60000kms per year(typo?). I will suggest stay away from skoda. They wont be reliable on that kind of running for sure. Cruze LT will fit your budget really nicely. Its around 13L OTR. You might also be able to squeeze in the LTZ if you extend your budget to around 15.5L.
Not a type - that's the kind of driving we do. I have driven down thrice to Kanyakumari from Surat, innumerable times to Goa and Delhi, and many other cross country trips. We love our drives as a family! Cruze LTZ is 14.75L OTR in Surat. Fits my budget perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hyundai Sonata Transform CRDI is the car for you. It's a full one size bigger than the Cruze and Laura, therefore is spacious. The Ride again is tuned for comfort and works wonders for someone with backseat as priority. The Engine is punchy and super tall gearing is suited for Highway cruising.

But it is about to be discontinued, the new Sonata is coming soon. It is a depreciation disaster, though you may get huge discounts. Driving it in city traffic is not an easy task thanks to the huge size, the turbo lag and tall gearing. Avoid Automatic version.

Cruze and Laura both are not spacious at rear but other wise the comfort levels are good in both.

You can also wait for the Renault Fluence. It's coming next month with 1.5 Diesel producing 105hp and 240nm.
Checked out the Renault Fluence on Overdrive's tweets yesterday - it was launched for the media. Looks nice, but with the initial wafer-thin network and a question mark on Renault's after-sales service, I would rather go for a tried and tested model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Wait for the Force SUV being launched in June End.

140 bhp. OM611.

The 200,000 kms vehicle testing is finished successfully now. Some misc fine tuning is going on.
Never heard of that! Can anyone tell me more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
+1. Or if a sedan is not a priority, the Tata Aria.
How much is the base Tata Aria? Is the reliability an issue with Aria, like with some other Tata passenger cars? Why have the sales been so low?! I was apprehensive about a 15 lac + Tata. I might be wrong through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Toyota offers a good package on Corolla. Cruze has a 100,000 km 3-year warranty. Decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
My immediate neighbor is a Radiologist who owns a '10 Fiesta. Last month when I saw the odo, it was ~70000. Quite possible.

As for the OP's quirey, my choice would be Cruze. Excellent mile munching abilities, and a torque monster under the hood to put a grin on you face during those long highway drives.
Another vote for the Cruze missile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Are you open to used cars?
If so, look for a sparingly used Superb, or similar. You should find a year old example at around 15L.
If not, the only new car you could possibly consider is the Tata Aria. The Laura did not impress me in terms of space, especially in the back.
If you are willing to give up the performance part, how about the Corolla Altis D4-D?
I haven't really thought over a pre-worshipped example. Would a one-year old Superb be reliable? And how expensive is a Superb to maintain vis-a-vis Cruze/Laura?

As far as the Altis goes, I thought about it and read the review here. It seems sorely underpowered and lacks some of the segment's features. I think Toyota charges a premium for its brand image. Not acceptable to me.

--> I have to finalize my car within two days, and would research Skoda Laura and Tata Aria today. The most votes seem to go for Laura and Cruze, where I have my mind slightly tilted towards the Cruze. Haven't looked into Laura as yet, seriously speaking, as I thought it is out of my budget. I didn't see many recommendations for the Altis, and hence I can safely rule it out.

Thanks a lot, everyone, once again. More suggestions and advices are welcome. You all rock!

Most Viewed