Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 12:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Agree with radiokidb. If you are looking for rear seat comfort, then Magnum LT it is. And you can get it for 10.5-11.2 lakhs OTR, less than your original budget and much less than your stretch budget. With their 3 years / 100000 kms zero-charge warranty (they charge 27k for that in hyderabad. Check how much they charge in your city) you will not even have maintenance worries.

Do check out this thread of smartcat before you decide:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anking-21.html
Old 10th May 2011, 23:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
I haven't really thought over a pre-worshipped example. Would a one-year old Superb be reliable? And how expensive is a Superb to maintain vis-a-vis Cruze/Laura?

As far as the Altis goes, I thought about it and read the review here. It seems sorely underpowered and lacks some of the segment's features. I think Toyota charges a premium for its brand image. Not acceptable to me.
A sparingly used pre-worshipped car would be a good bet as you would be able to get a better car. A one year old example would have warranty as well and could be considered. Do keep in mind that maintainance costs will be marginally higher depending on the brand. For Skoda, given that the engine is the same in the Superb and Laura, there should not be much of a difference.
However, if you are not too keen on one given your high mileage, then new is the way to go.
The reason I said corolla was because it meets all your criteria. In fact, it is better value than the Laura if you are willing to forgive the lack of power. The Corolla has more features, better rear seat comfort, better reliability, etc. than the Laura Ambiente. However the Laura makes you feel special with the superb build quality and feel.
The Optra Magnum though outdated is another terrific choice, and might meet your requirements better than the Cruze. Do check it out.
Even the Sonata Embera CRDi is terrific and with the advent of the new model expected, you can try to push for discounts.
Old 11th May 2011, 09:47   #33
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your replies - I am truly overwhelmed.

Yesterday, I took a TD of Skoda Laura - it was disappointing. First, the A/C wouldn't work, with the car being barely 2000 km old. It was some electrical niggle. The clutch was not to my liking, and back seat isn't the best in the world. Also, they are not committing to a delivery date for now. Effectively ruled out.

I saw the new Verna last night, too. The hyundai dealer happens to be a great friend of mine. I quite like the car, although the rear-seat is nothing to write home about. Everything else, including peace of mind, is top notch. What I save (close to 4 lacs) could be invested in a small car too!

Cruze has its share of niggles too - especially the seating and clutch return action. Wow - I didn't know it was that harsh. And I drove two different Cruzes, just to be completely sure. The clutch action is truly horrible.

This is the news from my end right now. Thanks.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:24   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Hey mathranik, even though its a bit outdated, the Optra Magnum offers superb rear seat comfort and with its punchy turbo pull, its fun on the highways.

Please check that out too as you are not satisfied with the Cruze. Also, it will save you some $$$ for some performance upgrades and customization.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

The best Diesel engine at 15L price point with AT transmission and TOP end features is Cruze.

@15L on road the Cruze comes with everything you want and may end up paying close to 21L in the Laura version(With respect to features)

Looks - Cruze
Engine - Tie between laura and Cruze
Transmission - AT- Laura but at 15L only Cruze offers the AT
Features and package - Cruze.

My 2 cents!!
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 15:55   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

60,000 kms a year! That is one serious amount of time spent on the road. Plus, you say cars are retained for 4 years? Translated, the new purchase should deliver on 2.4 lakh kms of reliable service. Back seat comfort is also a priority. There's only one:

Toyota Altis D-4D! Link to my review

Sure, it's got turbo-lag (annoying within the city) and can't match the power of the Cruze / Laura. However, I do think that the Altis fits your needs to the T. Take a spin, you'll be impressed with the space, practicality, ride & comfort. Remember, well-maintained Toyotas can outlast their owners.

Of course, I would also urge you to give the Innova a second look too.

P.S. : Cruze & Laura for backseat comfort? That's a joke!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 11:05   #37
BHPian

I thoroughly agree with GTO regarding altis diesel.I am too on a lookout for highway car to be driven mainly on golden quadrilateral.Between cruze, new verna(have the old one) and Altis d4d which would you recommend.Wifey dosent like the sea sickness verna gives on undulating highways.Think the new verna would be the same.What about Altis?is it too slow to be frustrating on highways and the ride quality?MAx speeds would be in range of 120-130( dont have the guts to go above that on our highways).Cruze will be uncomfortable for the occasional 5th passenger.The car should cruise silently at the above mentioned speeds without too much rocking and swaying-is that too much to ask?which car do you guys recommend?
Old 12th May 2011, 11:47   #38
BHPian

Cruze rear seat is not a place to be if you are looking for rear seat comfort. Even some hatchbacks are more spacious in the rear. Add to that the rear suspension which is not really tuned for comfort and the passengers in rear do get tossed around on uneven roads. Also headroom is minimal in the rear. The only reason you would want to buy the cruze is for its front two seats only. They are super comfy! and off course everything else i.e. performance, looks, features and the likes. The best car for you as anshuman suggested is Sonata Crdi. Its one hell of a car on the highways and the space and comfort is leagues ahead of cruze and laura. Add to that the hyundai A.S.S. which is any day better than chevy, skoda and others. Do TD it before finalizing your pick.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:09   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For 15L over 4 years plus 60X4=240k kms life, would suggest the following.

1) Altis D - Toyota reliability should make this more worthwhile compared to Laura and Cruz, do note the Altis rear bench is also better within the three, though from driver point of view the Laura cannot be beaten, but 2.4L kms in India ???
2) Innova V Diesel - Life, reliability, rear seat comfort and great value.
3) Aria Prestige Diesel (though Pride is better value at an even higher price) 4 years 150k km warranty, and the most comfy among these options.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Thanks a lot for all your replies - I am truly overwhelmed.

Cruze has its share of niggles too - especially the seating and clutch return action. Wow - I didn't know it was that harsh. And I drove two different Cruzes, just to be completely sure. The clutch action is truly horrible.

This is the news from my end right now. Thanks.
You didnt try the Auto tranny one? Heard it was better than the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
60,000 kms a year! That is one serious amount of time spent on the road. Plus, you say cars are retained for 4 years? Translated, the new purchase should deliver on 2.4 lakh kms of reliable service. Back seat comfort is also a priority. There's only one:

Of course, I would also urge you to give the Innova a second look too.

P.S. : Cruze & Laura for backseat comfort? That's a joke!

I dont think he will like Swift etc flying past him on the highway after spending 14lac.

Used Nissan Xtrail?
Old 13th May 2011, 02:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Trouble free practical car for 2.4L kms -> Toyota Altis Diesel.

For fun and practicality - Optra Magnum Diesel LT

Why?
-Beast of an engine (1911cc, 125ps, 305Nm). Though not as good as the Cruze, is very much comparable. Even felt better in some aspects.

-Probably the best rear seat.
(A 6 footer the front and another in the back over a long drive is possible)

-Very comfortable front seats too.

- Probably the best ride.

- Fairly good handling too. Very good balance of Ride and Handling for someone seeking rear seat comfort.

- Excellent high speed composure, especially in a straight line.

- All 4 Disc brakes.

- TBhp Test drives (probably the most reliable resource) rates "Overall Reliability" as Excellent. Makes even better suited for your long highway drives.

- From the same source - Average upkeep costs (No Skoda fears).

- Decent FE

- Not too large for the city. Not too small for the highway. (Wheelbase and width is the same as the Altis, if I remember correctly).

Oh well, you should simply test drive it, than read through more of it

You may save 4-5L if you can accept being in a dated looking car. I find it quite pleasing. Is a bit old styled (but that means that you can reverse easily, have a more airy cabin, lower windshield line, not coupe styled hence ample headroom at the back, the console doesn't crowd around you, the waistline is high, etc.)

Given your trips, what may hurt you is that the boot is not too big by today's design standards.

Last edited by Poitive : 13th May 2011 at 02:09.
Old 13th May 2011, 08:53   #42
BHPian

After much speculation, and many TDs as well, I have decided to put my money down on New Verna SX (O) 1.6 CRDi. Here are the primary reasons :

--> I quite like the way it looks, and the build quality has improved a lot - even though it isn't Jap standard yet.

--> Great package - loaded to the brim. With leather and passive entry passive start and 6 airbags, I think it doesn't leave me shortchanged.

--> Great motor rated at 128 horses. Even though handling is a bit iffy, the overall package makes for a good cruiser. Besides, the FE seems good too.

--> Hyundai A S S. Far better that Skoda, it seems.

For spot delivery, I have to pay a premium very close to six figures, as I need the car ASAP. White and black are the only two options being offered to me! Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks a lot everyone for the support and suggestions!
Old 13th May 2011, 09:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Let me throw one more option into the mix. Buy a pre-owned civic for 8 lakhs. You'll save 7 lakhs, which can go towards buying fuel to finance your high running!

I thought he had mentioned diesel in the opening posts, also the rear seat space of civic is cramped !!!

And I dont think for the kind of mileage he is planning to clock, any pre owned will be acceptable unless its a BMW or the three pointed star!
Old 13th May 2011, 10:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

I thought he had mentioned diesel in the opening posts, also the rear seat space of civic is cramped !!!
I know he mentioned diesel, thats exactly why i said the 7 lakhs saved can go towards fuel. Rear seat in civic is cramped? The rear seat is low but it certainly isnt cramped by any means

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
And I dont think for the kind of mileage he is planning to clock, any pre owned will be acceptable unless its a BMW or the three pointed star!
Are you serious? For the kind of mileage he is planning to clock a jap/korean car(even a pre-owned one) is the best choice. If he were to run a BMW or 3 pointed star over the same mileage it would cost him more than the original price of the car!

And since the O/P has decided to go for a Verna, the point is moot anyway.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

For fun and practicality - Optra Magnum Diesel LT

Why?
-Beast of an engine (1911cc, 125ps, 305Nm).
A small correction. The Optra Magnum sports a 1991 cc engine with 120 ps power and peak torque of 320 N-m. A good car on paper but I really wonder if it can handle 60K km/year and the poor resale value is another area of concern.

Most Viewed