Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 11:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

congrats on your purchase mathranik. Yes new verna is indeed a looker and comes equipped with loads of features. 6 airbags option is an awesome safety feature especially for your long drives. Does it comes with rear discs as well??

Waiting for you detailed initial report now!
Old 13th May 2011, 11:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
A small correction. The Optra Magnum sports a 1991 cc engine with 120 ps power and peak torque of 320 N-m. A good car on paper but I really wonder if it can handle 60K km/year and the poor resale value is another area of concern.
1991cc is correct. It was a typo. The Optra brochure does mention 305NM torque and 125ps power. The figures you quote were correct, but I guess that changed when the Optra was made BS4 compliant. About 60k a year in this price bracket, ideally would be the Toyota Altis. About resale, after 4 years and 2.4L kms on the odo, it may not be a huge difference. And there is big upfront saving.

Last edited by Poitive : 13th May 2011 at 11:47.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
1991cc is correct. It was a typo. The Optra brochure does mention 305NM torque and 125ps power. The figures you quote were correct, but I guess that changed when the Optra was made BS4 compliant. About 60k a year in this price bracket, ideally would be the Toyota Altis. About resale, after 4 years and 2.4L kms on the odo, it may not be a huge difference. And there is big upfront saving.
I really doubt if power output would increase if BS3 was changed to BS4. I would expect a small drop rather than an increase.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:21   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I really doubt if power output would increase if BS3 was changed to BS4. I would expect a small drop rather than an increase.
Not necessarily. Even the Linea gained a few ps when it was made BS4 compliant.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:29   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Support: Closing thread as OP has finalised the car. Please Report this post if you have a similar query and want to continue the the discussion in this thread. Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 14:08   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to post after the thread closure, but couldn't resist adding a last note.

Mathranik : Congrats on the Verna, though I must add, it's a poor choice keeping in mind your original requirements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
15 Lac OTR Surat (stretched out budget - cannot afford to go any further)
You eventually chose a car from a segment lower.

Quote:
Back-seat comfort a priority
There are way more comfortable cars in the budget. The Verna's back seat has poor under-thigh support, is placed too low and ride quality is NOT planted on the highway.

Quote:
Enthusiastic enough to be a highway cruiser
Highway cruiser, yes. Enthusiastic no.

Either ways, what matters is that you are happy. Drive safe and do update us with a comprehensive report!
Old 27th March 2012, 18:36   #52
BHPian

Skoda Laura DSG or VW Jetta DSG

The fact that i have narrowed down the buying conundrum to 2 cars is quite an achievement. However, this last decision itself proving to be a nightmare to make. While being essentially the 'same' car, they are different in key aspects...

Jetta:

Pros: Both me and wife like the styling, we love the drivability, the engine, all the works
Cons: Pricey, since diesel only comes in top end variant, even the top end lacks basic features like ACC, very minimalistic color options

Laura:

Pros: Feels slightly quicker than the Jetta, better color options, availability in 3 variants (the cheapest is 4 lacs lesser than the Jeta), good color choice (the newly launch maroonish red color), available at pre budget pricing unlike the Jetta
Cons: Dated, not too exciting a design, lacks exclusivity that the Jetta commands

Bottomline: Is it worth paying 4 lacs more for the perceived exclusivity?

Any suggestions from forum members that might help in our decision making will help...

Irwin
ipsanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 19:55   #53
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Laura DSG or VW Jetta DSG

Jetta and exclusivity? I don't think so. Its selling more than the Laura right now and in a city like Gurgaon there will be loads.

Assuming you are considering the Jetta highline, since you want DSG, look at the Laura L&K and buy it eyes closed. You will get a good discount right now too. Also it has many features over the Jetta -
-Adaptive xenon headlamps
-Power driver seat with memory + mirror memory
-Climate control
-12 speaker music system

It is missing paddle shifters, and has 2 airbags less.

Otherwise you can check out the Laura Elegance.

Nothing against the Jetta but the highline is overpriced and offers no features.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 18:04   #54
BHPian

Hey thanks Akshay for your response.

While looks are a personal preference, both i and wife prefer the looks of the Jetta over the Laura which comparatively looks dated. Any clue if VW is planning a lower end variant of the DSG anytime soon? That can aid in our decision.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:29   #55
BHPian

You won't be getting a lower version of the Jetta DSG anytime soon. You can go for Ambiente DSG Laura if you want to save money but Elegance is more VFM. If you can afford the L&K version there's nothing like it. For a cheaper Jetta, all you can hope for is the TSi version that is slated to be launched soon. Go for the Laura. You get decent discounts and you can get Skoda Shield maintenance package as well.

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 22:00   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Hey thanks Akshay for your response.

While looks are a personal preference, both i and wife prefer the looks of the Jetta over the Laura which comparatively looks dated. Any clue if VW is planning a lower end variant of the DSG anytime soon? That can aid in our decision.
Looks are subjective, but I wouldn't go for a car justtt because of the looks. If everything else was equal then looks can be a deciding factor, but in this case the Laura L&K is a better overall package.
Old 29th March 2012, 08:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that i have narrowed down the buying conundrum to 2 cars is quite an achievement. However, this last decision itself proving to be a nightmare to make. While being essentially the 'same' car, they are different in key aspects...

Jetta:

Pros: Both me and wife like the styling, we love the drivability, the engine, all the works
Cons: Pricey, since diesel only comes in top end variant, even the top end lacks basic features like ACC, very minimalistic color options

Laura:

Pros: Feels slightly quicker than the Jetta, better color options, availability in 3 variants (the cheapest is 4 lacs lesser than the Jeta), good color choice (the newly launch maroonish red color), available at pre budget pricing unlike the Jetta
Cons: Dated, not too exciting a design, lacks exclusivity that the Jetta commands

Any suggestions from forum members that might help in our decision making will help...

Irwin
If that exclusivity comes with other benefits, like better features, engine, A.S.S or some such things then consider it. However, here all I can see is the lesser sales and different look. A.S.S may well be slightly different but I don't think it is worth 4L.

Of the two, go for the Laura L&K edition if you can afford it. A friend has this car and he has done in the region of 180,000 km in two years. He has been lucky (the car is generally good and reliable, though not on par with Japanese build unfortunately IMHO) in that he has not needed much at the A.S.S other than regular maintenance but he tells me honestly that if the car had problems he would probably have been cursing as too many stories about the bad A.S.S abound.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:08   #58
BHPian

Quote:
...this last decision itself proving to be a nightmare to make. While

Jetta:

Laura:

Irwin
Like a couple of other people who've replied to your thread, I'm not sure the Jetta's exclusive at all. Even if it were, you'd be paying 4 lacs more for something that is extremely transient, which makes no sense to me.
Save the money (4 lacs is not exactly pocket change) and choose the Laura. It's got much better features than the Jetta.

VW decided that their products should command a premium as compared to some very credible competitors, and that's fine. But if you're charging me an additional 20% over the Laura at least make sure the Jetta has the same (or higher) level of kit. The arrogance with which VW under-equips their cars and then charges extra leaves me extremely unimpressed.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 23:37   #59
BHPian

Diesel cars everywhere, no one for me

The Indian mind defines power by two forms these days:
1) Authority for Corruption
2) DIESEL

The less be spoken about the prior the better... so we will use the latter for context in discussion here. You are obviously thinking, Another Diesel Thread, Huh? There are a million options and there is soon gonna be a loyalty war on the thread.

Neutralists may term this thread as a sincere case for spoilt for choices. and so was my mindset before I embarked upon my conquest. Sadly, I was seriously flawed in my logic.

Yes, we now have a diesel vehicle at the top of monthly charts (or almost!) and every second car is diesel fuelled so much so that some inventive brain even proposed taxes upto 2.5L on these cars to bail our nation out of current economic crisis but still, spoil for choice? I am Not.

Your are now wondering, that is impossible. This guy is crazy. He can't find a decent diesel sedan in this vast ocean of cars. You are right. Why? My problem lies in the segment I am stuck?

I want a car (obviously, Diesel) in the range of 12-18L. So What? You would think. There are plenty to choose. Well, lets get down on my search with a little provogue:

FLASHBACK (Year 2004):
A revolutionary time for luxury sedan market if you were a fan of diesel power. It was the time when certain Czech maker defied conventions and was making ways into Indian market and funnily enough, one of the trims on their cars was 'Ambition'. We are talking about legendary Skoda Octavia. It was a complete game changer inventing a new C+, D segment of cars which was previously non existent with the german trio on one side and trusty corolla/city on other.

Well, you might have guessed it already and yours truly took the plunge. We had a healthy (rare to find healthy and Skoda these days!) and fruitful 6 years and 2 back to back purchases of trusty (!!) old cars before they began to simply take consumers for granted and it was time for us to shift to the bib brother.

PRESENT TIME (Year 2009 onwards):
Skoda had begun to miss the opportunity bus these days and maybe that is what prompted its big brother to step into Indian Market for good (or worse!). It was Jetta this time, in top trim, with slick DSG to boot. Once again, you had what was extreme snob value. This time though, it didn't take us 6 years to realise part quality and vehicle maintenance was well at par with young sister. 2 Air conditioner replacement and various electronic / mechanical faults later, we just wanna CHANGE. Hmmm...brings us to the the current dilemma.

Pre-Requisites
1. DIESEL
2. High Fuel Efficiency (You kinda know this from first choice)
3. 18L max ex-showroom
4. Decent Resale
5. Rear Seat Legroom (Chauffer Driven , sometimes )
6. Decent Power / Torque

Competition
1. Toyota Corolla Altis - This probably defines refinement and reliability. To add to the already tempting concoctation, This was the most fuel efficient diesel mill on the list (+++++). So what keeps me away: It is a bullock cart on the newly built F1 track! Performance figures make Manza look good. What was Toyota thinking except maybe entice luxury taxi segment and 40+ (make that 50+) corporate biggies driven by chauffers, always!

2. Chevy Cruze - A peppy diesel mill and host of goodies with aggressive styling. It seems to tick all the right options for one kind of buyer - RACER BOY. This was acceptable for me but I just couldn't let my chauffer smile to his ears while my father and I cringed at the back seat which frankly is non-existent. To top it off, quality of materials was below par at places and Chevy cars don't inspire you when it come to resale. Sorry Cruze, I still like you but damn this paapi duniya...

3. Skoda Laura - It is another car that ticks most of the right boxes and is genuinely the most sensible option on paper... mind you, ON PAPER! Skoda has come a long way from our romance days and it just isn't the same trusted partner, more like a Vamp for those tele-series. Good one second, and ferociously scathing just another. Moreover, it is also like the wife who like to stay at her parent's home (workshop) more than her sasural.Bewafa Sanam.

4. VW Jetta - You look good these days. One big family of look-alikes. and you do still have the snob atitude, don't you. Which is why you feel that omitting sun-roof, decent gadgetry, heck even a ACC (which you had last time we met) from a 20L car is just normal. Forgive me but I like you to give me snob value, not act snobbly with me.

5. Well, there is no fifth. Gosh. That is it. Wait? Did you say something? Fluidity. No, Not the Korean one. Ahhh, Fluence. What? It is powered by the same engine that powers a Verito. That same car which has been eliminated from family will few years back. Wasn't that something like 5L or so. And it is not reliable as an Altis. Well, Spare me the horror, guys...

So, Here I am. I am so lonely... Spend a few bucks more for the bimmer, then. Finances wouldn't permit. How bout save some money and buy one segment down, heart wouldn't accept. What to do?

Can you guys help?
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 02:14   #60
Team-BHP Support

Re: Diesel cars everywhere, no one for me

Buy the Skoda Laura L&K. Your budget permits, and there is no other car like that in the segment. You get a great engine, DSG gearbox (6 speeds are more reliable than 7 speeds in the Superb), LOADS of features, good ride, enough of place. Its like a Superb except a couple of lacs cheaper. Also it is the most VFM in the segment for what you get.

Oh, also it does give pretty good FE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks