Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 09:12   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
I agree the 1.8 TSI engine is a reason good enough to buy the laura. Yes I plan to keep the car for more than 5 years (my esteem is with me since last ~ 8 years) and whatever images of the 2013 laura that I see, I feel the current laura is a better looker.

Regarding Jetta, I am thinking of test driving the car, though jetta trendline itself costs ~ 16.22 lakhs OTR in Mumbai, almost more than 1.5 lakhs higher than the laura so I am not too keen. But, I will still test drive.

Today I spoke to maruti guys, for Kizashi after hearing some huge discounts on it. Lets see if I get some positive response from them, however, this is an outlier.

After your reply, I am again bending towards the laura and save a good amount of money over the elantra SX and a decent sum over the elantra S.

Any idea if skoda has manufactured any TSIs in 2012. As of now am hearing only 2011 manufactured models.
Do a TD of all the shortlisted options, and see what suits you the best. If it’s the Laura which is pulling you closer, just go for it. Since you are looking at petrols only, and that too for long term, there will not be much gain in the resale value anyway.

You mentioned about Kizashi. It is indeed an excellent option, especially if it’s coming in the price range of the Elantra/Laura. But I am not sure if you can pull out such hefty discounts.

Regarding mfg date, I am not sure. Sometimes the CKD kit maybe from 2011, but the assembly date could be in 2012. Other Skoda owners may be able to help on this. Get the VIN from the dealer, and you can get it verified in Wildon’s thread.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:00   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Do a TD of all the shortlisted options, and see what suits you the best. If it’s the Laura which is pulling you closer, just go for it. Since you are looking at petrols only, and that too for long term, there will not be much gain in the resale value anyway.

You mentioned about Kizashi. It is indeed an excellent option, especially if it’s coming in the price range of the Elantra/Laura. But I am not sure if you can pull out such hefty discounts.

Regarding mfg date, I am not sure. Sometimes the CKD kit maybe from 2011, but the assembly date could be in 2012. Other Skoda owners may be able to help on this. Get the VIN from the dealer, and you can get it verified in Wildon’s thread.
I agree on the test drive thing. Elantra petrol is not available at all with any dealer at present, hopefully they should get a car this weekend, will try my luck then.

Somehow am not convinced for exploring jetta, I am better off buying laura with its monster engine IMHO.

I have spoken to a dealer about Kizashi, they have an auto available for test drive but yet to get a revert on which colour and variant is currently available and what price. Somewhere in this thread, there was a mention of ~ 5 lakhs discount, even I had received an email from our HR regarding some 3 lakhs corporate discount some time back so will try out my luck here as well, but I have little hope frankly.

Regarding laura, you are correct, I have been told that the kit is 2011 dec and the assembly is somewhere in March-April. One dealer told me that they can get a 2012 manufactured model but don't know if his claim is correct, will talk to them once I finalize on which car to buy. Currently its status quo with laura and elantra on top with balance tiltled towards laura.
Old 8th September 2012, 22:00   #153
BHPian

Looks like Chevrolet is going to bring out its 2013 cruze into India by October - November. The interiors seemed to have been uplifted including the quality of plastics and an double din system to replace the existing single din system. Rumors suggest the heart is being replaced with an 2.2 liter engine. Now if chevrolet gets its act right, I am sure it would be a runaway success in India.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:26   #154
BHPian

Hi all! Completed the test drives of all the short listed vehicles. Had driven the civic and altis earlier - didn't impress as much as laura. Today test drove elantra petrol, jetta 1.4 TSI and laura (3rd time). Just pasting what I wrote about the elantra drive in another thread "Test drove the elantra petrol today. Fully loaded, features galore, though simple information like instantaneous fuel consumption, distance to empty missing (as has already been pointed out). Rear seat was very comfortable - only a two seater though. Front seats are good but howsoever I adjusted the position I could not see the bonnet. Hand rest was of no use as I could not change gears while resting my hand on it (I could do the same in laura). Now coming to the drive - not great IMHO, felt not eager to move forward. Ride was good, steering very very light, my esteem's is an HPS unit, so this was ultra light. Well to sum up, a loaded car but disappointing to drive - could not please the enthusiast in me. So need to go to the laura way."

Jetta was a nice experience. Good ergonomics, comfortable to drive, got to the ideal position in a very less time. Decent to drive but no where near the laura. Felt the turbo lag, the engine could be revved but not with the finesse that the 1.8 TSI does the job. Felt the dynamics to be slightly better than laura but spending extra on the jetta - i cannot. Also as pointed out in its reviews, the footwell felt narrow and the dead pedal and the clutch were very near to each other.

So I am super inclined towards the laura - lets see what I finalize.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:43   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver
Looks like Chevrolet is going to bring out its 2013 cruze into India by October - November. The interiors seemed to have been uplifted including the quality of plastics and an double din system to replace the existing single din system. Rumors suggest the heart is being replaced with an 2.2 liter engine. Now if chevrolet gets its act right, I am sure it would be a runaway success in India.
From where did you get this info? Are they reliable sources?
Old 9th September 2012, 12:46   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
From where did you get this info? Are they reliable sources?
http://motoroids.com/upcoming-launch...l-the-details/

+ a friend of mine who happens to be an chevy dealers close relative confirmed the same.

Old 11th September 2012, 12:25   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow am not convinced for exploring jetta, I am better off buying laura with its monster engine IMHO.
The other negative about the Jetta would be no extended warranty.

Quote:
I have spoken to a dealer about Kizashi, they have an auto available for test drive but yet to get a revert on which colour and variant is currently available and what price. Somewhere in this thread, there was a mention of ~ 5 lakhs discount, even I had received an email from our HR regarding some 3 lakhs corporate discount some time back so will try out my luck here as well, but I have little hope frankly.
The Kizashi is also a real good option though the 2.4 liter naturally aspirated engine is going to gulp fuel like crazy if your use would mainly be in the city I guess the mileage figures could well be in the 5-6 kmpl. And I guess with a 3 lakh discount the pricing will more or less be in the Laura TSI category; the Kizashi looks and feels more modern than the Laura though with respect to drive and build quality I would still prefer the Laura. When I had checked last month all I was getting was 1.4 lakh off in Gurgaon unfortunately.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:36   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
The other negative about the Jetta would be no extended warranty.

The Kizashi is also a real good option though the 2.4 liter naturally aspirated engine is going to gulp fuel like crazy if your use would mainly be in the city I guess the mileage figures could well be in the 5-6 kmpl. And I guess with a 3 lakh discount the pricing will more or less be in the Laura TSI category; the Kizashi looks and feels more modern than the Laura though with respect to drive and build quality I would still prefer the Laura. When I had checked last month all I was getting was 1.4 lakh off in Gurgaon unfortunately.
Right about Jetta, did not think about that while reviewing it.

Update on the Kizashi - Sales guy called and he said best he can do for a MT is 19 OTR Mumbai :-O. He said the big discounts were on some specific models and they have been sold out. He also said that he has a 4k kms old test drive vehicle, which can be offered for 14 lakhs. I said No Thanks! and moved on.

Today I am meeting the Skoda sales guy, lets see what best he/she has to offer and then I am going to close the deal. Only issue is the colour, wife's first preference is black. One dealer has a black but it has been at his stock yard since last 2-3 weeks and since we want to take delivery next month (dusshera) it makes more than 2 months at the yard, which scares me. Another dealer says no black but he will indent a car from the factory, which gives more comfort to me. Given the fact that I am going for a skoda, a fresh indent from factory provides more peace of mind than a car which has been at the dealer's yard for 2 months. What do you guys say?

Will update as this unfolds in the next few days.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:44   #159
Senior - BHPian

If not already bought the car, why not the Renault Fluence ? Except for not being an enthusiast drive, it ticks all the boxes.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:47   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar
Given the fact that I am going for a skoda, a fresh indent from factory provides more peace of mind than a car which has been at the dealer's yard for 2 months. What do you guys say?
But 2mth old Skoda which has been at the factory in Aurangabad should be fine I think. I got my Laura from there in Aug with June manufacture date. Also insist that Odometer should read preferably less than 50kms. Mine read 9kms when it arrived and 11 at delivery.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:49   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
If not already bought the car, why not the Renault Fluence ? Except for not being an enthusiast drive, it ticks all the boxes.
Yes, renault fluence is there, though it costs on a higher side - 17.5 lakhs OTR Mumbai as against 16.97 lakhs OTR Mumbai for Laura ambition before discounts. After discounts this difference is HUGE. Hence not considering the fluence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
But 2mth old Skoda which has been at the factory in Aurangabad should be fine I think. I got my Laura from there in Aug with June manufacture date. Also insist that Odometer should read preferably less than 50kms. Mine read 9kms when it arrived and 11 at delivery.
You are right, thats why we are inclined on compromising the colour and getting a car from the factory directly than buying a car of prefered colour sitting at the dealer's stock yard.

Second, I agree about the odometer reading and I will check the same when it arrives at the stockyard. However, on the delivery date, the reading could be 100 kms + as the stockyard is 15-20kms from the dealership, another 35-40 kms from there is the RTO so 20 + 35 +35 will be the least that I can expect on the odometer. But I will if anything what can be done for that. I will try to accompany the driver for the same if possible :-).
Old 12th September 2012, 13:14   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Today I am meeting the Skoda sales guy, lets see what best he/she has to offer and then I am going to close the deal
Goodluck buddy. Finally which dealership have you zeroed in on?

Quote:
One dealer has a black but it has been at his stock yard since last 2-3 weeks and since we want to take delivery next month (dusshera) it makes more than 2 months at the yard, which scares me.
In my book, it doesn't really matter if the car has been sitting in their stockyard for 2 months - as long as you inspect the car thoroughly before making a reservation. Request them to allow you to inspect the car at their stockyard, then go ahead and book, only if you're fully satisfied with the state of the car. Like someone pointed out earlier, just ensure the ODO reading is within reasonable limits and that the car hasn't been used for in-showroom display, which would also mean that it is moved back and forth from the city (typically a location within Mumbai) to the stockyard (which generally tends to be outside city limits). Another reason why the dealership that you're dealing with, also becomes paramount. As their customer, would they protect your interests at all costs? Once the car's booked in your name, will they consider and treat it as sold and not touch it??

Do remember in such cases the upside is; you have more room for negotiation especially since with TSIs, most dealerships are still struggling to clear out their old inventory - often incentivizing customers in the process.

Quote:
Another dealer says no black but he will indent a car from the factory, which gives more comfort to me. Given the fact that I am going for a skoda, a fresh indent from factory provides more peace of mind than a car which has been at the dealer's yard for 2 months. What do you guys say?
Whilst it is always preferable to have a car that's coming in straight from the factory, do remember that that is hardly a comforting factor either. I've visited quite of lot of car manufacturing units, and cars that are waiting to shipped out are seldom quarantined or stocked in a closed environment. Nonetheless since you're in no hurry, just bide the extra time the car's going to take after your dealership indents it from Skoda and gets it to his showroom.

If you're still nebulous about stuff, feel free to PM me!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 12th September 2012 at 13:20.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 16:03   #163
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, thats why we are inclined on compromising the colour and getting a car from the factory directly than buying a car of prefered colour sitting at the dealer's stock yard.However, on the delivery date, the reading could be 100 kms + as the stockyard is 15-20kms from the dealership, another 35-40 kms from there is the RTO so 20 + 35 +35 will be the least that I can expect on the odometer. But I will if anything what can be done for that. I will try to accompany the driver for the same if possible :-).
I was in similar dilemma - to choose Rosso Brunello Red of 5 and odd month old manufacture, in which Laura looks best (personal perference) or Cappuccino Beige which fortunately was my second choice but one and half month old manufacture and directly from Aurangabad. I bought my vehicle from Tafe Access, Mangalore who is the only dealer for Skoda in Mangalore. Once the dealer said he could get C.Beige of latest manufacture from Aurangabad directly, I wanted to make sure it is not already stocked at Bangalore where I think stocks for Karnataka are kept. I independently called Tafe access and Vinayak Skoda, Bangalore (Bangalore has 2 dealers I suppose) and on phone told them I was an interested customer and asked for C.Beige TDi Laura of latest manufacture. Both of them independently verified that they don't have it in their stocks and same might be arranged from Aurangabad if given time. So before I paid booking amount I did all this. Also I told the bank not to disburse the DD till I personally see the car when it arrives, day before delivery. Ultimately I got the car I wished. You may say I am a very demanding customer but one can't be too careful. But retrospectively thinking, there should be certain amount of trust between you and the dealer as you need him for proper delivery and good service in long term. Put down to dealer in advance specifically what all parameters (or lack of it) will not be acceptable to you if not met with (like manufacture date).
Solution to the Odo reading problem is to go to the stockyard on the day car arrives and see the reading. After that you know what is the reasonable distance it may run before delivered to you and no need to accompany the sales agent around the town
Old 12th September 2012, 16:09   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Goodluck buddy. Finally which dealership have you zeroed in on?
JMD Thane it is. I found them to be straightforward in their attitude - stating the facts, not telling stories - guess 2 things worked - Vishal Tanksale a fellow bhpian who recently picked up an RS from them and corporate relationship. Autobahn, stated the discount from skoda incorrectly (25k less) and then said that because you are coming from a reference we will give you 25k more - which is a perfect sales strategy, but that lost my trust in them. Senator looked like out of market in terms of discounts that they quoted though they are closest to my residence (you can say a stone's throw away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
In my book, it doesn't really matter if the car has been sitting in their stockyard for 2 months - as long as you inspect the car thoroughly before making a reservation. Request them to allow you to inspect the car at their stockyard, then go ahead and book, only if you're fully satisfied with the state of the car. Like someone pointed out earlier, just ensure the ODO reading is within reasonable limits and that the car hasn't been used for in-showroom display, which would also mean that it is moved back and forth from the city (typically a location within Mumbai) to the stockyard (which generally tends to be outside city limits). Another reason why the dealership that you're dealing with, also becomes paramount. As their customer, would they protect your interests at all costs? Once the car's booked in your name, will they consider and treat it as sold and not touch it??

Do remember in such cases the upside is; you have more room for negotiation especially since with TSIs, most dealerships are still struggling to clear out their old inventory - often incentivizing customers in the process.

Whilst it is always preferable to have a car that's coming in straight from the factory, do remember that that is hardly a comforting factor either. I've visited quite of lot of car manufacturing units, and cars that are waiting to shipped out are seldom quarantined or stocked in a closed environment. Nonetheless since you're in no hurry, just bide the extra time the car's going to take after your dealership indents it from Skoda and gets it to his showroom.

If you're still nebulous about stuff, feel free to PM me!
I guess you are right, as long as I inspect vehicle and find everything satisfactory, shouldn't matter much. But with skoda that little bit of comfort adds or may be I am being paranoid. Though one of the main reasons is the overall experience with the dealership, which I found better with JMD and with 2 good references, I think I can trust them more than the other dealers. I may be wrong but I am trying to take best informed decision. And since I am not going to take delivery before mid next month, its better to get a freshly indented car.

And on the discounts front, I guess its the best time to buy the laura and thats the only reason why I have preponed my purchase by around 7-8 months. Also with these discounts it has fallen in my budget.

And thanks, will PM you with other questions of mine as and when they come to my mind.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:11   #165
BHPian

Quote:
JMD Thane it is. I found them to be straightforward in their attitude - stating the facts, not telling stories - guess 2 things worked - Vishal Tanksale a fellow bhpian who recently picked up an RS from them and corporate relationship.
Yeah overall, JMD enjoys a better reputation over the others. Like you said, they deal straight and most customers appreciate that. I mean, come on, we know our car stuff right

Quote:
I guess you are right, as long as I inspect vehicle and find everything satisfactory, shouldn't matter much. But with skoda that little bit of comfort adds or may be I am being paranoid. Though one of the main reasons is the overall experience with the dealership, which I found better with JMD and with 2 good references, I think I can trust them more than the other dealers. I may be wrong but I am trying to take best informed decision. And since I am not going to take delivery before mid next month, its better to get a freshly indented car.
No I totally understand buddy. You have every right to be paranoid with your hard-earned money. There's no such thing as being 'too cautious' while buying a car. And if that helps you make the best informed decision, so be it.

Like I said, since you're in no hurry, might as well wait for a freshly indented one. Are you going with the Ambition TSI in black btw?

Quote:
And thanks, will PM you with other questions of mine as and when they come to my mind.
Anytime partner. Will only be glad to be of help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks