Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:30   #1
BHPian

Used SUV purchase - Leaning towards Tucson

It's time to upgrade from my Palio 1.6 - and i am in the market looking for an SUV. I am completely impressed with the Tucson, and believe its complete VFM for the rates at which it is available at, in the used car market. One thing worries me about the Tucson though - and that is the reliability of the 4WD, especially with what seems like a complicated setup (constant AWD, with optional 4WD lock that is effective until 30kmph, coupled with the traction control)

Today while test driving a Tucson, i heard a definite clunk when the 4WD lock button was engaged - and am writing on this forum to check with Tucson owners about their 4WD experience, its reliability, and if i should be worried about tranfer case damage with cars showing this clunk when the lock is engaged and disengaged. I am worried i will end up with a car that doesnt show any obvious damage today, but in a short whille over the next few 000s of km, will develop some serious transmission issues, because the 4WD was used improperly by the first owner. Any comments that the experts here can provide will be very helpful.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Tucson is a fantastic softroader, very balanced ride & handling, good interior space and a fantastic engine. I agree, a used Tucson makes for a tempting deal. I wouldn't worry too much about the 4x4. Stats show that 99% of SUV owners don't even bother about the 4x4 .

Still, get her comprehensively checked out before paying up.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tuscon is a good choice. How much are you getting it for ? Also please let us know what year and how many km's on the Odo ?
Old 24th September 2009, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

used Tucsons are quite easily available in the market nowadays in bangalore - priced anywhere from 9-13 lacs depending on their age. I saw two of these myself quite recently just out of interest.
most seem to be about 3-4 years old and appear to have done 30-40K kms on the clock.
would be a good idea to check on the service history by looking at the book as well as visiting the dealership/ service centre where it was serviced regularly. Get some data on the owner's antecedents etc - chances are you will get a good bargain if the vehicle has been used/ driven by a company executive type of owner.
cost / availability of spares and maintenance could become a bit irritating going forward since I understand Hyundai is discontinuing or already has discontinued this model in India.
all the best, the Tucson is indeed a good vehicle - used one makes very good sense if you're in the market for a nice tough, pretty capable SUV.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Tuscon Model's already been discontinued long back by Hyundai BUT they still service it and spares should not really be a problem though might be a bit pricey compared to other SUV's.

carwale states hyundai tuscons in -

delhi - 2005 models - all between 35 - 45k on the odo at around 7.5 - 8.5 lacs.
bangalore - 2007 models - all between 11.5 - 13.00 lacs !! expensive here !!

I am sure anyone sellling such a SUV will be negotiating heavily on prices as takers for these are comparatively less.

Bargain Hard
Old 24th September 2009, 12:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

yes bangalore is always expensive because of the initial cost of taxes etc in ownership of new car which automatically goes down the chain to the used car market as well.
yes also to your comment that bargaining hard is one possibility - not much demand for used Tucsons in general so getting a good price should not be too difficult.
In general the Bangalore vehicles are better maintained and looked after in comparison to Delhi - largely because they are likely to be the "first car" here and thus, possibly higher chance of having been "owner driven" rather than "driver driven".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The Tuscon Model's already been discontinued long back by Hyundai BUT they still service it and spares should not really be a problem though might be a bit pricey compared to other SUV's.

carwale states hyundai tuscons in -

delhi - 2005 models - all between 35 - 45k on the odo at around 7.5 - 8.5 lacs.
bangalore - 2007 models - all between 11.5 - 13.00 lacs !! expensive here !!

I am sure anyone sellling such a SUV will be negotiating heavily on prices as takers for these are comparatively less.

Bargain Hard
Old 24th September 2009, 12:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Just an update Varun, Hyundai Tucson is still not discontinued.

It's still selling Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Tucson
Old 24th September 2009, 12:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

But it's sales figures are very poor ! Total number sold whole of India Jan-Aug stands at 18 nos only. Considering this, will spares not be a problem ?
Old 24th September 2009, 12:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In general the Bangalore vehicles are better maintained and looked after in comparison to Delhi - largely because they are likely to be the "first car" here and thus, possibly higher chance of having been "owner driven" rather than "driver driven".
Shankar, I second that. Bangalore vehicles are better mantained and also in a better condition I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Just an update Varun, Hyundai Tucson is still not discontinued.

It's still selling Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Tucson
That's news to me as my friend who owns the Hyundai dealership here in Agra told me that it was discontinued.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:47   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Tucson is currently being sold alright, but only in single digits this year (with 0 in the last two months). Hyundai has managed to move about 18 of 'em so far in 2009. Too bad Hyundai themselves couldn't care less about what is a pretty competent softroader.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

OT.One very lucky bhpian who most of us know has picked up a lovely Nissan patrol from Coonoor. I am eagerly waiting for his thread soon. I am sure he is reading this thread and expect him to start immediately.

IMO, this makes for a good used SUV
Old 25th September 2009, 06:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

correct - am sure that patrol will give him another 200000 kms on the clock. only trouble with buying such cars is that one needs to pay cash down - no question of loans etc which effectively knocks many guys out of the running for such vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
OT.One very lucky bhpian who most of us know has picked up a lovely Nissan patrol from Coonoor. I am eagerly waiting for his thread soon. I am sure he is reading this thread and expect him to start immediately.

IMO, this makes for a good used SUV
Old 25th September 2009, 07:11   #13
BHPian

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments.

The story so far ..

Must have test driven half the "for-sale" stock in Bangalore, and have made enough visits to the authorized service center to become pally with the service adviser and the front desk folks even without owning a Hyundai! :-)

1. Tucson is still on sale - They have a few in stock, and continue to import on demand. The problem is that there is no active interest on the part of the dealers in pushing the product. I had to literally force myself on the dealers to extract information like discounts, wait times etc. I guess this is because there isn't enough dealer incentive in terms of margins (what with the discounts on offer for the Tuc)
2. Everyone i have spoken to across the dealerships and ASCs are in unanimous agreement that there aren't any chances of a Tucson refresh or the Santa Fe release for another 18 months at least.
3. I was initially divided between a pre-2007 CRV and the Tuc, as my need was primarily a big "car" to accommodate my two big dogs on out-of-town trips, and dropped the CRV idea because of the running cost (Dont much prefer the Endy, and the Innova was out for the same reason as well)
4. You are right that there are several Tucsons available, all between 9 and 13L (between 40K and 80K on the odo), but they are in highly varying conditions. I have come across multiple instances of vehicles without complete service histories (Some have gone two years without visits to authorized service centers), accident vehicles where the pre-owned car dealer has emphatically assured that the vehicle is accident free, vehicles with tampered odometers (How can the last recorded service entry at the ASC be at 60K kms, almost an year back, while the current reading is 46K!!!)
5. Spares shouldnt be a problem, because they seem to have the regular consumables readily available, and any other parts are supposedly going to take a worst case 2-3 weeks time (I'm used to this by now because of my Palio, and it doesnt bother me much as long as the car is pretty solid) Besides, the Tucson seems to be very much on sale (and popular) in several world markets, so am assuming that spares wouldnt be a problem so long as its being manufactured somewhere as they can always source it globally

I'm just being very cautious, and treading slowly given these initial observations, but excited at the same time. Didnt realise that hunting for a used car could be more fun than trying to buy a new one! Every day is a new learning ..
Old 25th September 2009, 08:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Upfront: I am a GV fan
That said with intro of new 2.4L Grand Vitara quite a few of the old 2.0L ones are in market. Especially the dealer cars are being sold and are a good bargain. A friend picked up one from a Delhi dealer with less than 15K on odo at 8lacs. It is petrol but if you are looking at any 4x4 capabilities its a good direction to look at.
Else Innova would be a better product but you have already discounted that.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

interesting post and learnings my friend.
yes a "first class" used Tuc is a tough one to find - in terms of it having a true history and being in good condition.
the two big dogs will love the space in the back though! My three large dogs love the rear of my Scorpio with the seat down and never fail to enjoy themselves (i put a big cloth sheet over the entire rear portion inside to cover the surfaces to avoid dirt.)

now for more serious things -
1. There is an used dealer in Koramangala, close to the Hanuman temple on the 80 feet road just past the Dominos Store and that Indus Aviation Store - you may want to check him out - he seems reasonable.
2. Then there is one more such chap near the Koramangala BDA Complex (keeping BDA on your right and Nandini Restaurant on your left, proceed down the road into Koramangala and you will see this dealer on your right hand side.)
3.Check with First Choice Motors - because they can be trusted to a better extent plus their vehicles are refurbished after purchase from the original owners and come with a One Year Warranty when they re-sell them to the next owner.
4.Personally I will always choose a Tuc over a CRV - CRV is just too expensive to run, being petrol and one will somehow end up thinking twice before hopping in and driving off into the distance when compared with a Diesel. Plus the Tuc's off-road abilities are definitely superior to the CRV's.
5.In case after exhausting all possibilities, you're not able to locate a good used Tuc, maybe you could consider an used Pajero which you should be able to wangle from the used car fellows.
6.Last but not least, you could also consider a brand new Scorpio Refresh.

Two guys I know have Tucs and when I meet them I can check if they are considering moving onto something else - in which case I can let you know. One chap did indicate he was considering a new SUV but wasn't sure yet.

Cheers and Happy Tuc Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingummy View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments.

The story so far ..

Must have test driven half the "for-sale" stock in Bangalore, and have made enough visits to the authorized service center to become pally with the service adviser and the front desk folks even without owning a Hyundai! :-)

1. Tucson is still on sale - They have a few in stock, and continue to import on demand. The problem is that there is no active interest on the part of the dealers in pushing the product. I had to literally force myself on the dealers to extract information like discounts, wait times etc. I guess this is because there isn't enough dealer incentive in terms of margins (what with the discounts on offer for the Tuc)
2. Everyone i have spoken to across the dealerships and ASCs are in unanimous agreement that there aren't any chances of a Tucson refresh or the Santa Fe release for another 18 months at least.
3. I was initially divided between a pre-2007 CRV and the Tuc, as my need was primarily a big "car" to accommodate my two big dogs on out-of-town trips, and dropped the CRV idea because of the running cost (Dont much prefer the Endy, and the Innova was out for the same reason as well)
4. You are right that there are several Tucsons available, all between 9 and 13L (between 40K and 80K on the odo), but they are in highly varying conditions. I have come across multiple instances of vehicles without complete service histories (Some have gone two years without visits to authorized service centers), accident vehicles where the pre-owned car dealer has emphatically assured that the vehicle is accident free, vehicles with tampered odometers (How can the last recorded service entry at the ASC be at 60K kms, almost an year back, while the current reading is 46K!!!)
5. Spares shouldnt be a problem, because they seem to have the regular consumables readily available, and any other parts are supposedly going to take a worst case 2-3 weeks time (I'm used to this by now because of my Palio, and it doesnt bother me much as long as the car is pretty solid) Besides, the Tucson seems to be very much on sale (and popular) in several world markets, so am assuming that spares wouldnt be a problem so long as its being manufactured somewhere as they can always source it globally

I'm just being very cautious, and treading slowly given these initial observations, but excited at the same time. Didnt realise that hunting for a used car could be more fun than trying to buy a new one! Every day is a new learning ..

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th September 2009 at 09:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks