Old 15th July 2009, 14:30   #421
Senior - BHPian

I think your friend missed the "Rates valid only from Nov-Apr" tag
Old 15th July 2009, 22:12   #422
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Don't miss Thikshey Monastery, very close to Leh.
You are not going to Nubra V?
Please bear in mind that if you do not get fuel in Karu, you may have to return to Leh for petrol. (Correct me if I am wrong, but the Upshi pump sells only diesel).
Since you are going to and fro via Manali, covering both lakes is a good idea, why drop one of them? I would not miss out on Pangong for any reason whatsoever.
Why not drive to Lamayuru (via Magnet Hill) and see the moonscape and the monastery there?
Quote:
Never seen it myself, reported by my biker-friend who stayed there last week on his way from Manali to Leh. Very close to Hotel Ibex apparently.

However, I do not find references to the hotel in HPTDC web-site! Will give more details once the bikers return to Bombay this weekend (they are today driving from Kargil to Srinagar, having climbed Marisimk La also last Saturday.
Dear Kumar, thanks for your advices. Prompt & very useful, as always. Let me elaborate a bit more & ask a few more questions:
  1. We'd like to go as far beyond Khardung La into the Nubra valley as feasible keeping in mind we have to return to Leh on the same day and without driving crazy. Where do you suggest we should drive to until turning back for Leh?
  2. As much as we would have liked to cover both the lakes (Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri) but it seems we might have to leave out one. We may have to curtail our itinerary by a day due to an unforseen festival ritual. Within this constraint I would imagine you recommending Pangong lake over Tso Moriri?
  3. Lamayuru - from what I quickly gathered from the Internet this place appears more famous for the monastary which we are not too keen on. However, if it really is vast expanse of moonscape vista we would not want to miss it at all. Please bear in mind we are hell bent against going until Kargil or return via Kargil-Srinagar route Therefore, we will have to return to Leh.
  4. Please let me know once you have the confirmation and contact details of the resort at Jispa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I would recommend you stay the night at Keylong (Chandra Bhaga) or Jispa tents.
Sarchu leads to AMS problems for nearly 90% of the people who spend their first night there!

An early start from Keylong/Jispa and you can make it to Leh well within daylight hours.
Thanks for your advice anupmathur. However, in order to ease ourselves from driving long stretches at one go we'd rather halt the night at Jispa if not Sarchu. Btw - We'd have already spent a night in Manali before Sarchu. Do you think that is going to reduce the potential risk of AMS at Sarchu?

I am revising our itinerary. Should be able to post the revised itinerary tomorrow for your advices and feedback.

Thanks!
Old 15th July 2009, 22:28   #423
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the expensive Hotel Ibex at Jispa, now there is also the HPTDC resort where double rooms are available for as low as Rs 250 pd.
There is one more lodge named Padma Lodge it's good, Room tariff 800 Rs.
Old 15th July 2009, 22:47   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We'd like to go as far beyond Khardung La into the Nubra valley as feasible keeping in mind we have to return to Leh on the same day and without driving crazy. Where do you suggest we should drive to until turning back for Leh?
The drive to K La won't take much time (max 2-3 hours) and you can go down to Khalasar/Desikit and return to Leh, but I think it best to return to Leh unless you are really keen on going to Nubra V.

Quote:
As much as we would have liked to cover both the lakes (Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri) but it seems we might have to leave out one. We may have to curtail our itinerary by a day due to an unforseen festival ritual. Within this constraint I would imagine you recommending Pangong lake over Tso Moriri?
Undoubtedly, like Sha mentions in his travelogue, it is Pangong Tso that best captures the essence of Ladakh and is unmissable, apart from the fact that it is most convenient.

And one important advice - on such a long and difficult journey, always keep 1-2 days as buffer for unforseen delays.
Quote:
Lamayuru - from what I quickly gathered from the Internet this place appears more famous for the monastary which we are not too keen on. However, if it really is vast expanse of moonscape vista we would not want to miss it at all. Please bear in mind we are hell bent against going until Kargil or return via Kargil-Srinagar route Therefore, we will have to return to Leh.
Yes, the lunarscape is extraordinary, you can see it as you descend into Lamayuru town - last 5 kms - from Khalatse, and is worth going all the way to Lamayuru. The monastery is good, but nothing extraordinary, especially since you are visiting Thikshey anyway. Besides, the Indus river valleys are quite a spectacle at Nimmu and Saspul.

Quote:
Please let me know once you have the confirmation and contact details of the resort at Jispa.
I called up my friends - they have reached Srinagar just now - and they reconfirm. But don't worry, apart from Hotel Ibex and Padma (as suggested by Sha), you also have tents at Darcha which is less than 10 kms away, so you won't have to sleep in your car.

Although Anup has a vital point in Sarchu's decapacitating powers (read, AMS), I think the 1-day drive from Jispa to Leh will be an arduous affair, and staying in Sarchu is an exotic experience in itself. The first time I went, I stayed there, got AMS-attacked (despite all the care I took), but recovered well enough by the morning!

Last edited by hvkumar : 15th July 2009 at 22:49.
Old 15th July 2009, 22:55   #425
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
and staying in Sarchu is an exotic experience in itself.
Perfectly said it's Exotic experience.
Old 15th July 2009, 23:00   #426
Senior - BHPian

I also wanted to know if any thing like a Layman's Puncture Repair Kit is there or not. My car tyres are Tubetype and this is worrying me a lot on the bad terrains of Ladakh
Old 16th July 2009, 08:30   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I also wanted to know if any thing like a Layman's Puncture Repair Kit is there or not. My car tyres are Tubetype and this is worrying me a lot on the bad terrains of Ladakh
Anirudha, you need not worry so much.
Punctures generally do not happen on these bad terrains as much as on city roads and highways! There are no nails lying around on the bad terrains!

I have never ever had a puncture on all the bad terrains I have done. The punctures have always been within city limits.

It would be good for you to carry one or two spare tubes. Even if you carry a full repair kit it is unlikely you'll be able to do the honours! It will have to be truckkers or taxi drivers who'll have to bail you out.
Old 16th July 2009, 08:35   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I also wanted to know if any thing like a Layman's Puncture Repair Kit is there or not.
Repairing a puncture on a tube type 4 wheeler tire is really stressful and will require skill and experience, I really doubt you will be able to do it. change over to tubeless if feasible. Tubeless tire puncture repair is a breeze if you follow the instructions.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:47   #429
BHPian

I had a puncture near Karnal and too a big one, repaired and was running on the same tyre through out, but its better to have tubeless puncture repair kit, and foot pump , if you take the kit from a know tyre show they will show you a layman's repair video and you can also have that video from there[ Bridgestone dealer have that video].

Regarding Sarchu: You need to stay there in tent to believe, else while crossing you even don't feel anything about Sarchu!!

-Pramod
Old 16th July 2009, 09:57   #430
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I had a puncture near Karnal and too a big one,
Pramod
Even I had Puncture at same place near Karnal.
Old 16th July 2009, 10:05   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and staying in Sarchu is an exotic experience in itself. The first time I went, I stayed there, got AMS-attacked (despite all the care I took), but recovered well enough by the morning!
Exactly! Sarchu is an exotic experience, but best enjoyed on the return trip, by which time acclimatization is complete.
On the way to Leh it is best avoided!
Everyone spends a night at Manali and everyone suffers an acute headache and restless sleep at Sarchu nonetheless. That's because nights spent at 6000 or 7000 feet do not help towards acclimatization!

Last edited by anupmathur : 16th July 2009 at 10:06.
Old 16th July 2009, 11:57   #432
Senior - BHPian

Anup ji,

I'd kindly recommend you NOT to generalize the above statements - it maybe "everyone YOU know" but not "everyone"! I'd rather not turn this into another fear or overcaution thread.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:12   #433
abk
BHPian

Thanks a lot, Kumar!

Folks, here is my revised itinerary:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date | Day | No. | Route | Kms | Nightstay
13-Aug | Thu | 01 | Delhi - Manali (leave Delhi at 9 PM) ... | - | -
14-Aug | Fri | 02 | Delhi - Manali (..continued) ............. | 550 | Manali
15-Aug | Sat | 03 | Manali - Jispa ................................ | 138 | Jispa
16-Aug | Sun | 04 | Jispa - Leh ................................... | 347 | Leh
17-Aug | Mon| 05 | Leh (sightseeing, permits, etc) ......... | | Leh
18-Aug | Tue | 06 | Leh - Pangong Tso - Leh ................. | 330 | Leh
19-Aug | Wed| 07 | Leh - Khardu L - Leh - Lamayuru - Leh | 324 | Leh
20-Aug | Thu | 08 | Leh - Sarchu ................................. | 260 | Sarchu
21-Aug | Fri | 09 | Sarchu - Mandi (or any alternative?) .. | 326 | Mandi
22-Aug | Sat | 10 | Mandi - Delhi ................................. | 444 | -

Your suggestions, feedback & advices are most welcome.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:17   #434
Senior - BHPian

Leave very early from Jispa to reach Leh by nightfall. Target crossing Tanglang la latest by 5 pm.
Sarchu-Mandi will be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Thanks a lot, Kumar!

Folks, here is my revised itinerary:
Date | Day | No. | Route | Kms | Nightstay
13-Aug | Thu | 01 | Delhi - Manali (leave Delhi at 9 PM) ... | - | -
14-Aug | Fri | 02 | Delhi - Manali (..continued) ............. | 550 | Manali
15-Aug | Sat | 03 | Manali - Jispa ................................ | 138 | Jispa
16-Aug | Sun | 04 | Jispa - Leh ................................... | 347 | Leh
17-Aug | Mon| 05 | Leh (sightseeing, permits, etc) ......... | | Leh
18-Aug | Tue | 06 | Leh - Pangong Tso - Leh ................. | 330 | Leh
19-Aug | Wed| 07 | Leh - Khardu L - Leh - Lamayuru - Leh | 324 | Leh
20-Aug | Thu | 08 | Leh - Sarchu ................................. | 260 | Sarchu
21-Aug | Fri | 09 | Sarchu - Mandi (or any alternative?) .. | 326 | Mandi
22-Aug | Sat | 10 | Mandi - Delhi ................................. | 444 | -

Your suggestions, feedback & advices are most welcome.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:55   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'd kindly recommend you NOT to generalize the above statements - it maybe "everyone YOU know" but not "everyone"!
Everyone I know happens to belong to the internet communities at large!
And yes, you are right! I, personally did not suffer any AMS issues anywhere. I was the only driver for the trip too.

As a general caution that advice is not unfounded! This thread is not about you or me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks